Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭May79

Haha makes all the difference when you're tired and just wanting the baby out :p

Looking forward to that feeling already!!!! :):):):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 HerbertGirl

Havent been on in a while, been so busy and internet connection has been bad...

But everything is still doing well for me. I'm 20 weeks now (half-way... :eek:) Anomly scan on Monday, cannot wait to see the little baba again... cant believe that my last scan was 11 weeks ago, the time is flying in!!

Bit of a dilemna as we cannot decide whether to find out the gender of the baby or not. We've been talking about it, and we dont see any reason why we shouldnt find out... but then how come most people dont?! Any previous experience etc would be very helpful!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Havent been on in a while, been so busy and internet connection has been bad...

But everything is still doing well for me. I'm 20 weeks now (half-way... :eek:) Anomly scan on Monday, cannot wait to see the little baba again... cant believe that my last scan was 11 weeks ago, the time is flying in!!

Bit of a dilemna as we cannot decide whether to find out the gender of the baby or not. We've been talking about it, and we dont see any reason why we shouldnt find out... but then how come most people dont?! Any previous experience etc would be very helpful!!
    I imagine more people find out than say...we found out about our son at 19 weeks (I had a bad low blood sugar (am diabetic) and wanted to know if my baby was OK). I found it useful as we could choose colours and potential names - we had his name ready before he was born. The next few weeks are going to be so much fun for you - the kicks are the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 HerbertGirl

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I imagine more people find out than say...we found out about our son at 19 weeks (I had a bad low blood sugar (am diabetic) and wanted to know if my baby was OK). I found it useful as we could choose colours and potential names - we had his name ready before he was born. The next few weeks are going to be so much fun for you - the kicks are the best!

Oh I know CathyMoran, I've started feeling them already, it's the weirdest feeling! Just makes me laugh every time it happens! Started to bloom too... what was a bigger belly is now a proper bump, no-one would confuse it for fatness now!

We dont want to find out the gender and then tell people, so if we do find out (which i'm leaning towards!) then we're not going to tell anyone that we know. We're going to pretend we didnt find out. I think that would be ALOT of fun!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I didn't find out on on #1 because I thought it would be nice for her daddy to find out 1st and once I had a baby it didn't bother me too much if it was a girl or boy.
    I didn't find out this time because I like the surprise:)
    My younger cousin was definitely a girl until he was born;)

You must be due the same time as me?25th January for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭XxXciaraxXx

Hey all!:) Been a while since I posted but finally nearing the end now! 37 weeks yesterday so not long left! Getting very nervous but excited at the same time! Had 2 scares in the last few weeks but all is well with babs and that is the main thing! Dont know what the sex is so have family throwing bets around as to sex and weight!

Had scan last week and he (i have been calling it a he since the start even though i dont know what it is!) was 6lbs 15oz! So he could be a big one! Haha!:D

All going well I'll get on here alot more because Im finished work on friday! Finally!! Thought that day would never come!

Hope all current mammies and mammies to be are keeping well and looking after themselves! And anyone nearing their due date, like me, I'll keep my fingers crossed for ye because there is a full moon tomorrow night! Haha!:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

it is the most exciting and impatient time!!!
    I am convinced my bump is another girl,she has decided she loves her big sister and gets all excited when she hears her.
    only 22 weeks and already trying to decide when to finish up in work. I left it too late last time and found the end too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I started feeling sensations a couple of wks ago around 19wks but this week
    is the first time I felt kicks. My husband felt them for the first time yesterday. I'm on hols at the moment and the church bells in the village start at 7am and it's damn loud. The baby kicked like hell two mornings ago so obviously didn't like the rude awakening. It's our 1st so everything is new.

We've decided not to find out the sex before. I think it's a boy and have picked out the boys name and himself thinks it's a girl and has a name ready for her. The way I see it one of us is right!

I called both bumps he and the other half called them she:)
    My 20 month old keeps calling bump him and he too.
    The first kicks are the best by the end they can sometimes really hurt!

Yes Moonbeam, it's a novelty at this stage but I've been warned that they're not always going to be so gentle and tickleish!

• Advertisement

No, but they are always reassuring and if you are ever worried about lack of movement down a bottle of Lucozade!!!
    You may regret it after a while though!!

Lucozade eh! That's made me laugh. I must remember that.

It works a charm - the kicks are the best until the little one arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

A nice glass of ice cold milk or orange juice are much healthier alternatives which should get the littlun going crazy in there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

HI there,

Last Friday, at 35w 4d, my waters broke, in the car!

I rang the hospital at 9.30pm and they told me to call out to be checked. When the doc saw me, she confirmed everything was gone. She also confirmed I wouldn't be going back home and told me to bring in my hospital bag. I was sent to the ward and told if nothing happened in 18 hrs, I'd be started.

My idea of the hell, 'the drip'.

So I settled in on the ward and OH was sent home. At 12:30am I woke with a contraction, not bad, just a period pain but all in my back, not in my stomach. I got out my pen and wrote down the time thinking they were just branston hicks. After an hour, they were comming very 7 mins.

I called the nurse and told her, she gave me a heat pack and paracetamol. Lasted another hour and a half before I had to call her again, this time she gave me the tens machine and confirmed I was 2cm. I lasted another 40mins. This time I was 4 cm, she told me I was going to the delivery suite. and to call OH and get him in.

By now my back was killing me. After 20 mins in the delivery site, I wanted and got the epidural. I didn't plan on it because I wanted to be able to move around and get comfortable, but I couldn't find any position they helped the pain.

I had the epidural topped up 2 hrs later, though I could still feel the contraction the whole time and used gas an air as well. The contractions with the epidural is how I imagined them to be, they were waves of pain but manageable with the gas.

By 10:00 am, the midwife said it was time to push, I didn't get any urge, maybe this was the epi? This was the hardest part. The midwife was looking at the monitor and telling me when the contractions were and when to push, but our timing was off. She wanted a deep breath then a long push, then repeat 3 times. By the 3rd time each time the pushes were ineffective and I was exhausted. With the contractions every 2 mins,I didn't have time to re-gain strength.

By 11:45, I was beaten, bearly managing the 1st long push and the midwife looked worried. SHe pulled over a table and laid out forceps and a scissor for an episotosmy . That worked....at 12:09 my daughter was born.
    6 Ibs 7 oz.

It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and 12 hours start to finish wasn't bad. I was expecting double that. It was weird going into labour in hospital, I always presumed I would be at home for most of it.

Breastfeeding is another story, but for now I have to get organised as she's due to wake up!

Congratulations on your beautiful baby :)

Congratulations :D

What did you name her?

Akimi Marie.......finally, I was convinced she was a boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭XxXciaraxXx

Congrats wmpdd3! Must be amazing to be home with your little woman! Love the name!

Thought I was gonna go myself last night with the braxton hicks contractions I was having! But alas, nothing this morning! Gonna have to stick it out for another 2 weeks and 4 days! And knowing my luck I'll go the 10 days over! I don't really mind though cos babs will come when he is ready! Just getting very uncomfortable now!

Today is my last day in work! Thought it would never come but here we are! Hope everyone has a good day!

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Akimi Marie.......finally, I was convinced she was a boy!

Thats a very unusually but very pretty name!

Congratulations :)

Ciara, you have the right attitude! Don't expect baby to come according to your schedule! They came pre-loaded with their own schedule which you will be expected to go along with for... Now this is just a guess... the next 16-18 years??

Good luck for the coming weeks and enjoy your mat leave while you can!!

• Advertisement

Thank you, still smiling when I think I should be sitting in outpatients waiting for the doctor, but instead I'm home with her!

Though, the sucking / swallowing reflex is only developed in weeks 38 and 39 so she's a bit hard to feed, and hasn't latched on yet.

Thank you, still smiling when I think I should be sitting in outpatients waiting for the doctor, but instead I'm home with her!

Though, the sucking / swallowing reflex is only developed in weeks 38 and 39 so she's a bit hard to feed, and hasn't latched on yet.

Congratualtions - I was very excited reading your story of your labour - Only 11+3 now but happy and delighted with progress. I absolutely love the name - where did you get it. It's so unuaul but really really beautiful. congrats again x.x.x.x

I have a wee question- i am 11 +3 so far (Almost 1st trimester yeay:))

Anyway, I meat my consultant on Friday. She was lovely. Early scan and i got a few snaps of the baby. She told me it was 11cm approx. I was shocked because that is totally different from the sizes in books. She was just happy that heartbeat was there and arms and legs were moving. She didn't bat an eyelid. I didn't want to 2nd guess her as it was our first meeting. I'm just wondering would it be an incorrect measurement or am i growing a giant beanpole :D I was very happy and confident leaving her office but have been wondering since (as you do !)

Congrats wmpdd3!

May79 wrote: »
    I have a wee question- i am 11 +3 so far (Almost 1st trimester yeay:))

Anyway, I meat my consultant on Friday. She was lovely. Early scan and i got a few snaps of the baby. She told me it was 11cm approx. I was shocked because that is totally different from the sizes in books. She was just happy that heartbeat was there and arms and legs were moving. She didn't bat an eyelid. I didn't want to 2nd guess her as it was our first meeting. I'm just wondering would it be an incorrect measurement or am i growing a giant beanpole :D I was very happy and confident leaving her office but have been wondering since (as you do !)

I have no idea there's nothing written on my scan at 13 weeks but at birth my one was 22cm so that can't be right.

I signed up for a few websites that track your progress wk by wk and they usually tell you the aprox. size of you baby. try eumom.ie or babycentre.com

at birth my one was 22cm so that can't be right.

I hope you mean 22 Inches??

You know it does say 22 cm, but it must be inches, Oh god I don't even know what planet I'm on.....scrap the last 2 posts......I'm going back to bed.

eumom website gives avg weight and measurements for baby every week,it might be worth signing up to to get a rough idea.
    My baba was 58cm and 7lb 4 when she was born,@ 20 months she is now tiny but tall:)
    24 weeks pregnant,have reached another pregnancy milestone:)
    Have begun to think of ways to make birth less painful this time,thinking might start yoga to learn to relax,invest in a tens machine and then just hope it is quick and umm painless hahahahahahahahaha

I've been doing pregnancy yoga since 14wks and I love it. I've had back and neck pain on and off and the yoga really helps. I get a bit freaked out when she mentions labour but am gradually coming around to the idea that the baby has to come out at some stage! I'm going to start going to physio too and a friend gave me contact details for an accupuncturist which I might go too as well. The way I see it everything helps!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 MzFit

I'm about 6 weeks now. First GP visit was last week, we were told that the referral letter to the Rotunda would be sent off, that's grand I thought. But the scan won't be until between 18 and 24 weeks. Seems awfully late. I'm reading here that many of you have already had 3 or more scans by this time. I'd like to have at least one before 18-24 weeks. How should I go about this? This is my first time, as you can probably tell.

Advertisement