Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-Barcelona Results Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Caprica wrote: »
    hopefully she can put in a good run in the Intercontinental cup, it will be her type of race.

Are there medals at stake for this event do you know?

If there is a medal at the end of the finish line, you just know Derval will get there quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

04072511 wrote: »
    I have to say I love the BBC's athletics coverage. I think Storey, Dickenson, Cram and Foster do a good job and know their stuff!

I'm wincing at the thought of their Olympic coverage. They'll be interviewing some Brit who just trailed in last in the Steeplechase while Andreas Thorkildsen throws 90m in the javelin. Far too much chat and not enough live action for me, I'm afraid. And all the usual casting of aspersions does my head in.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I'm wincing at the thought of their Olympic coverage. They'll be interviewing some Brit who just trailed in last in the Steeplechase while Andreas Thorkildsen throws 90m in the javelin. Far too much chat and not enough live action for me, I'm afraid. And all the usual casting of aspersions does my head in.

Well the BBC is a UK broadcaster after all... Have to cater for the home audience first and foremost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭sleapy235

While by and large the BBC do a good job of covering athletics, they shoulod really lose Brendan Foster, he's so irritating. When there's a championship on Eurosport is the best way forward, no chat or analysis, they just show the action, although they can be guilty of too many ads.

Mediocre from Derval tonight, I'd like to see her do a bit better in the Diamond League races and make a few quid for herself. But when you focus so much on one race it must be hard to refocus after its all over, hopefully she'll put in a big performance next week.

Well done to Johnathan Holmes on his new PB

sleapy235 wrote: »

Mediocre from Derval tonight, I'd like to see her do a bit better in the Diamond League races and make a few quid for herself. But when you focus so much on one race it must be hard to refocus after its all over, hopefully she'll put in a big performance next week.

What is Derval's best time from non championship races? Would I be right in saying it was her 12.85 back in 2006 which was a national record going into Gothenburg?

I know she has a 12.80 with a 2.1 wind but what is her fastest legal non-championship time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭sleapy235

What is Derval's best time from non championship races? Would I be right in saying it was her 12.85 back in 2006 which was a national record going into Gothenburg?

I know she has a 12.80 with a 2.1 wind but what is her fastest legal non-championship time?

Yeah I can't remember her running faster than 12.85 outside of a championship, I'd say thats probably right. She ran some decent indoor times in non-championship races in 2006 alright before she won in Moscow in, 7.93 or thereabouts, but she's a championship runner, and there's a lot to be said for that.

sleapy235 wrote: »
    Yeah I can't remember her running faster than 12.85 outside of a championship, I'd say thats probably right. She ran some decent indoor times in non-championship races in 2006 alright before she won in Moscow in, 7.93 or thereabouts, but she's a championship runner, and there's a lot to be said for that.

Yep its all about the championships. Her best 5 performances:

12.65 - European Final 2010
    12.67 - World Final 2009
    12.72 - European Final 2006
    12.73 - World Semi-Final 2009
    12.75 - European Semi Final 2010

They are the races you want to have your best 5 times in. Not Zurich, not Brussels, not Oslo.

Having said that Priscilla Lopes Shleep looks awfully good at the moment and I'm really not sure if Derval can beat her at the moment, even in a championship. But sport is a funny game, things can change quickly. Priscilla is running great at the moment, but she could have a dip in form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

Last in the steeple requires a lot more training than throwing a stick

Last in the steeple requires a lot more training than throwing a stick

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭fiddy3

A lot more running, yes, a lot more training, not at all. I'll bet any money thorkildsen trains more hours a day than any brit steepler.

• Advertisement

fiddy3 wrote: »
    A lot more running, yes, a lot more training, not at all. I'll bet any money thorkildsen trains more hours a day than any brit steepler.

Yep these boards seem very biased in favour of distance running. There are numerous other disciplines in track and field after all!!

Training in my humble opinion does not go by hours spent put by training endeavour. Running two hours a day requires a greater amount of mental and physical dedication than five hours of standing around doing very little. Perhaps it was my time in Kenya that has given myself a biased opinion if so I am sorry to any stick thrower I may have offended.

Regards Woodchopper

Training in my humble opinion does not go by hours spent put by training endeavour. Running two hours a day requires a greater amount of mental and physical dedication than five hours of standing around doing very little. Perhaps it was my time in Kenya that has given myself a biased opinion if so I am sorry to any stick thrower I may have offended.

Regards Woodchopper

You are betraying a complete ignorance about the amount of time athletes spend training, especially at the elite level.

I suggest you pop onto youtube and search for a shot putter called Werner Gunthor.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭fiddy3

Regards Woodchopper

Seriously, different events have different needs, distance running is no more worthy just because you have to run 2 hours a day at the elite level. And it's not at all five hours of standing around doing very little, it's doing exactly what they're supposed to do to be their best. If just distance runnning time comprises hard training, then i suppose all those ultrarunners who run 50 miles a day at 8-9minute miling train harder than bekele then who only runs 20?? Distance runners often look at field eventers and sprinters and think that because their competition involves little fatigue that it's easy, but you have to remember they're busting their balls every nit as much as distance runners on a daily basis, albeit in different ways like weights, sprints, plyometrics. I'm a distance runner, and i wouldn't last a minute attempting to do this stuff. Athleticism isn't just defined by your tempo pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgZ4FhmAgwM&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-zEYIe0EKA&NR=1

Holy ****! Even I've never seen a javelin thrower doing stuff like that. Love the one of him doing presses from the crucifix on the rings.

Regards Woodchopper

Are you serious!?! :eek::eek::eek:

Right! I'm getting Terry McHugh after you!!!!

Holy ****! Even I've never seen a javelin thrower doing stuff like that. Love the one of him doing presses from the crucifix on the rings.

Love the one of him jumping over the high press (or whatever it was)! This man is a hero! Really hope he makes it 3 in a row in London. One of the all time greats thats for sure!

Seriously, different events have different needs, distance running is no more worthy just because you have to run 2 hours a day at the elite level. And it's not at all five hours of standing around doing very little, it's doing exactly what they're supposed to do to be their best. If just distance runnning time comprises hard training, then i suppose all those ultrarunners who run 50 miles a day at 8-9minute miling train harder than bekele then who only runs 20?? Distance runners often look at field eventers and sprinters and think that because their competition involves little fatigue that it's easy, but you have to remember they're busting their balls every nit as much as distance runners on a daily basis, albeit in different ways like weights, sprints, plyometrics. I'm a distance runner, and i wouldn't last a minute attempting to do this stuff. Athleticism isn't just defined by your tempo pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgZ4FhmAgwM&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-zEYIe0EKA&NR=1

A sub four minute milers as great aerobic endurance, great anaerobic endurance, great speed, great strenght endurance, great mental strenght. A top distance runner has all these characteristics. The notion that distance runners are weak in the gym has long gone and to be a truely successful distance runner these are all important characteristics. Stick throwers have only one or two of these attributes a distance runner needs them all. Im afraid the common notion out there is that distance runners are like slow marathoners they only have the ability to run long and slow. This has led to the idea that if you are untalented at sports in your school you run cross country. Too many distance runners neglect the athletic side of the sport and hence will never fullfil any potential that he or she may have.

Yours in sport Woodchopper

A sub four minute milers as great aerobic endurance, great anaerobic endurance, great speed, great strenght endurance, great mental strenght. A top distance runner has all these characteristics. The notion that distance runners are weak in the gym has long gone and to be a truely successful distance runner these are all important characteristics. Stick throwers have only one or two of these attributes a distance runner needs them all. Im afraid the common notion out there is that distance runners are like slow marathoners they only have the ability to run long and slow. This has led to the idea that if you are untalented at sports in your school you run cross country. Too many distance runners neglect the athletic side of the sport and hence will never fullfil any potential that he or she may have.

Yours in sport Woodchopper

Of all the debates I have seen this is by far the most ridiculous!

And please stop calling it "stick throwing". Its a little insulting to people who throw Javalin I would have thought! :rolleyes::D

Gilly's season is over.

http://www.davidgillick.com/blog/Blog-41.html

Very honest in his blogs as always. He'll be back. He's far too talented!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Of all the debates I have seen this is by far the most ridiculous!

And please stop calling it "stick throwing". Its a little insulting to people who throw Javalin I would have thought! :rolleyes::D

This is woodchopper of the Craig Mottram argument. Pinch of salt required.

Is todays meet from Rieti on TV anywhere or will I have to watch it on the internet again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Is todays meet from Rieti on TV anywhere or will I have to watch it on the internet again?

Not on tv. You wouldnt have a link to the stream you using by any chance?

ecoli wrote: »
    Not on tv. You wouldnt have a link to the stream you using by any chance?

You should get it on myp2p.eu

They tend to always have athletics on that

100m result:

Rank Bib Name Nat Lane Reaction time Result
    1 8 CARTER Nesta JAM 7 0.164 9.78 =WL
    2 14 BAILEY Ryan USA 6 0.150 9.88 PB
    3 10 FORSYTHE Mario JAM 8 0.182 9.95 PB
    4 3 LEMAITRE Christophe FRA 4 0.199 9.97 NR
    5 11 FRATER Michael JAM 3 0.152 9.98 SB
    6 15 RODGERS Michael USA 2 0.158 10.00 SB
    7 12 SAIDY NDURE Jaysuma NOR 5 0.193 10.00 NR
    8 1 BAILEY Daniel ANT 1 0.174 10.11
    Weather conditions
    Temperature: 29 °C Humidity: 33 % Conditions: Sunny

Lemaitre tied his NR in the heats and then goes better in the final. Carter is for real. Goes to #4 on the all-time list!

RUDISHA 1.41.01 2 WR in a week!!!!

Told you so! :D

ecoli wrote: »
    RUDISHA 1.41.01 2 WR in a week!!!!

DAMN IT! I cant get live feed anywhere! :mad:

DAMN IT! I cant get live feed anywhere! :mad:

http://www.veetle.com/index.php/channel/view#4c7999f3ea64e