Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-Barcelona Results Thread

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Tangle2

Steven Macklin does a lot of good work for his group. He works hard to develop young athletes with a senseible approach and provides them with a solid foundation for future improvement. He coached another two guys to schools internationals this year and these guys aren't as talanted as Craig Murphy - no disrespect to them either.

Downwithfacses might tell us about his success and prowess as a coach and the time he puts into the sport rather than coming on in a nameless faceless environment to have a pop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭downwithfacses

i stand corrected...macklin is a decent coach...you've convinced me i was wrong.

ecoli wrote: »

Regarding that 3000 if you compare that one second to the 15.XX he ran that season and 3.53s it seems that this was the height of the season.

for the record ecoli..he ran 14:35 in his first year in the states...again, check your facts

macklin for life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

for the record ecoli..he ran 14:35 in his first year in the states...again, check your facts

macklin for life

Where was that? if so i stand corrected hadnt realised he had gone under 15 only 5 k i remember him running was one in princeton. Need to spend more time on google

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tball1

first of all, it's a bit much to call his track times as a junior as 'savage' seeing as he never qualified for any major track champs be them european or world juniors...so you'll have to take that statement back...savage times=making it to at least a european juniors...your hyperbole is baffling in this regard

secondly, being top irish juvenile at a time when his contemporaries were hardly setting the world on fire is not worthy of him being some kind of saviour to irish distance running. it's not hard to be the best when you're not up against much...and hang on, before ye all say crap like 'you can only beat what's in front of you', i accept that..but no one talks about the schools 400m champs from back in the day when we were weak in sprints and how 'savage' they were..murphy was a good, solid junior who capitalized on a down year talent wise.. we're always hearing from the greats likes sonia and jerry that we just don't have the talent coming thru. in the 800 and 1500 we've got good junior guys coming thru but not in the longer distances.

also, last time i checked he ran 819 indoors for 3k last year..isnt that faster than 820 he ran as a junior?? you said that he didn't touch any of those times in his first year at iona...clearly you were wrong and should check the stats before making statements that clearly are not even true.

as far as iona not reaching the heights since mick left...last time i checked iona finished 2nd in rickys first year (defeating mick's wisconsin badgers in the process)..lost their 2 top runners (ledwith and khadrouri) and still came 8th the next year (2009) and now theyve reloaded and should be in the hunt this year again for a top ten finish...hardly a complete slump from the days of mick byrne...even you would have to admit that no?
    as far as my statements that macklin isn't much of a coach, it's my opinion...he had a decent runner in murphy so it wasn't hard to have success given what murphy was racing against and murphy being a talented runner.

now we'll start to see what murphys made of and so far hes turned his career around on the back of this great result at prenats and hopefully he keeps it going and finishes top 100 at ncaas...i think that would be a fantastic result for him.
    as far as your post...there are several holes in your argument and maybe you shouldn't buy so much into the macklin hype machine. he's a nice guy, but hardly the svengali you seem to believe he is...Iona will be the making of craig murphy...not steven macklin.

downwithfacses,

You sum up what is wrong with our culture today, too many people with narrow minded opinions with no facts to back them up. It is a typical Irish attitude to attack someone who is doing well.

Some facts for you:
    1) Steven Macklin is a genuine down to earth guy who works hard in his job and his coaching at Togher AC/Douglas CS. I live in Cork and see this on a daily basis.
    2) He coaches some great athletes and teams not just Craig Murphy. A few examples that spring to mind:
    - Patrick Coleman (All-Ireland u18 XC Champion 2009)
    - Danny Mullins (All-Ireland Schools Inter 1500m S/C Champion 2010)
    - Ian Hartnett (All-Ireland Schools u16 Mile Champion 2010)
    - Michael O Sullivan (All-Ireland u18 & Junior Indoor 800m Champion 2009)
    - Ronan Duggan (IUAA Indoor & Outdoor 800m medalist 2010)
    - Togher AC (2009 All-Ireland u16, u17, u18 All-Ireland XC Team Champions)
    - Douglas CS (2010 5th place team at World Schools XC Championships)

These are only some examples off top of my head and not to mention all the others not winning All-Irelands. I have had conact with him at times and he was full of knowledge. I firmly believe Craig Murphy wouldnt be where he is now without Steven Macklin. The guy finished 48th in World Junior XC and was 5th European across the line. How many coaches can testify to that with a junior?

Morale of the story is worry about your own coaching/competing or whatever it is you do and know the full facts before you have a go at a genuine hard working coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Getonwithit

Obviously a personal snipe here from downwith. Its not fair to go attack people's reputations like that. Steve Macklin is one of the top distance coaches in Ireland, esp at juvenile level. THe names and times mentioned here already speak for themselves, he is highly respected as an RDO in his area and his Togher teams are dominating Munster and Irish championships, then doubling up as Douglas in the schools. Have you any basis for your snipe downwith or is that exactly what it is. Now evidence please or just disappear

was i not clear when i said I was wrong about macklin and that i've been converted to a macklin man?? can't someone express an opinion, then listen to others and then change their opinion based on what others share with them???

i guess i wasn't clear enough

macklin for life :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HappyClown22

I have also been to Macklin Towers. However, there was no sign of the waffle maker that was previously mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Zombie thread, most of the posters have closed their accounts so I'm gonna lock it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement