Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I dock the tails of my Rottweiler pups

Options
  • 24-08-2010 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I know this a touchy subject that has been discussed many times before, so I don't want to start argument with regards to whether it is morally wrong or right.

My Rottweiler bitch had puppies yesterday morning and I'm between two minds as to whether I should get their tails docked or not.

Rotties tails are normally docked and I would like to leave the tails on but I'm worried that I might not be able to sell them. So if your a fan of rotties, please let me know what you think, On or Off?

Rottweiler Pups, to dock or not to dock? 69 votes

Leave them on
    0% 0 votes
    Take them off
    100% 69 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A docked dog cannot be shown in the UK. If you want to sell your dogs, don't dock them as docking is not longer regarded as necessary by any of the kennel clubs.

Any fan of Rotties will always tell you to leave the tails on. There's no need to remove a puppy's tail, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

^^ I completely agree Seamus - a dog is born with a tail, it is there for a reason. I never understand why people dock their puppy's tail, leave it on! They need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Personally wouldn't touch a dog with a docked tail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

You might have trouble selling them with long tails, but do you really want to sell them to someone who only wants one with a docked tail? I'm sure some people would want them with long tails, I know I would.

My friend had a litter of boxers and she got a vet nurse to come to her house to dock the tails. She thought it wouldn't hurt them, as a lot of people said, but she said it was horrible and she'd never do it again. The puppies were crying in pain, there was loads of blood, etc. Her next litter were all left with long tails and then she got her dogs neutered because she never wanted to dock their tails again.

If you're having doubts and don't feel right doing it, then I wouldn't do it . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Please leave them, I was at a show in the UK at easter and the Rotties had tails and looked so lovely.
    I was talking to a lady who said she thought they looked more friendly and approachable too, which I could see too.
    I would love a rottie one day, and would definitely only take one with a tail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Leave them on. I've met a few Rotties that weren't docked and their tails are lovely - an otter-like, Labrador tail. It really suits them and it's great to see them able to wag!

Genuine Rottie lovers won't mind the tail. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

dont doc them, i think you will have absolutly no problem selling them with their tails intact.
    personally i would only buy a dog if they have not been docked!!

ps can u put up pics tails n all pls :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

seamus wrote: »
    A docked dog cannot be shown in the UK. If you want to sell your dogs, don't dock them as docking is not longer regarded as necessary by any of the kennel clubs.

Any fan of Rotties will always tell you to leave the tails on. There's no need to remove a puppy's tail, ever.

Sorry but that is not true. Docked dogs after 6th April 2007 cannot be shown at shows in UK where the public pay in eg Crufts.

They can be shown at all shows in the Northern Ireland, Scotland and any shows in England and Wales where the public dont pay in so its only a certain number of shows where you cant show.
    I show my rottie so i know the above is true.

You will find it very hard to sell pups with tails, trust me. There are a lot of people in the UK coming to Ireland to get dcked rottie pups.Im not getting into a debate about docking but just saying you will find it hard to sell them with tails.

Are they well bred pups or just pets? If their pedigree is good and there would be a chance people want to show them in Ireland you will find they will want them docked.

Hope this helps.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Why not do a bit of market research and advertise the pups now. Ask the potential owners if they want their pups docked or not docked?
    I think the comment on wether they are showing/breeding/pets is a good one. Not everyone wants their pets to be shown!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

I wouldn't touch a pup with a docked tail either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

100% don't dock their tails. Apart from all the behavioural and medical reasons not to do it. They look so much better and I truely believe over the next few years it will be more common to see rotties with a full tail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 buckled

andreac wrote: »
    You will find it very hard to sell pups with tails, trust me. There are a lot of people in the UK coming to Ireland to get dcked rottie pups.Im not getting into a debate about docking but just saying you will find it hard to sell them with tails.
    That’s my worry and as you can imagine rotties aren't the most popular dog (even though they’re the best:D) so I want to give them the best chance of finding a good home, that’s why I want to get the opinion of rottie fans and owners. However I do value everybody’s opinion.
    andreac wrote: »
    Are they well bred pups or just pets? If their pedigree is good and there would be a chance people want to show them in Ireland you will find they will want them docked.
    They’re pure bred but not from a line of show dogs. They’re just family pets and great pets at that.

I’m kind of swaying in the direction of keeping them for the following reasons:
    1. I spoke with the IKC and they said that you can show them both with and without tails in Ireland.
    2. A guy rand this morning for a pup and he wants one with a tail.
    3. As they are a misunderstood dog, a wagging tail is a good way of expressing their friendly intentions.

Anyway they will be 3 days old in the morning, so I’m going to have to make a decision tonight.

Thanks for the input and I’ll let ye all know tomorrow what decision I made.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

I'm with all those who say don't dock.
    We have a rottie with a tail. I like rotties with tails and alot of people have commented that when they see one with a tail they appear (as said above) more approachable.

Rottweilers can be shown in Ireland with a tail (always were allowed to but was quite rare), and it UK there are only a certain number of shows where you can show a docked dog (assuming they are docked after April 2007 as andreac mentioned above).

Keep their tails - more of them to love!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

Please don't!!!
    Their are docked rottie puppies everywhere.
    Its cruel and unnessissary.

There is lots of evidence that docked dogs are more likely to suffer from incontinence in later years (as the muscles aren't worked) and also, docked dogs suffer when communicating with other dogs / people with the absence of their tail.

When advertising the pups you can make it a feature of your ad 'We love our pups so we don't dock their tails' type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

nothing more beautiful than a Rottie with a full waggy tail!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭boxermad

i dont think long tails suits rotties or boxers,i personally will dock them as i had docked a litter of yorkies for my sis in law,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 buckled

Thanks to everybody for their input. The majority of people will be glad to know that I have decided to leave them on :D. I'll post some pics shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

boxermad wrote: »
    i dont think long tails suits rotties or boxers,i personally will dock them as i had docked a litter of yorkies for my sis in law,

What do you mean, it doesn't suit them? They are born with tails, so of course it suits them. What you mean is that asthetically you prefer them to be mutilated.

I thought only vets were allowed to dock dog's tails? Obviously not, how did you do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Rotties with tails look fantastic!!!

We board our Rottie in Kilcullen where the owner breeds & shows Rotties and the ones with tails look great, nothing better than seeing a happy dog wagging its tail.

http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/documents/why_taildocking_should_be_prohibited.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kalie

Keep the tails.
    I have a young boxer with a tail. At first i wasn't sure about it mainly because i'd never seen one with a tail but now i love it. I've seen a few rotties with tails, it looks great, makes them look more friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ISDW wrote: »
    I thought only vets were allowed to dock dog's tails? Obviously not, how did you do it?
    He did describe the method, but I removed it from his post. Rest assured, it wasn't done surgically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Isn't docking only for intended working dogs and even with a vet within 3 days of birth?

Otherwise as I understand it it is painful and /or drwan out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Tail docking isnt "cruel" if its done by a proper vet. You might not agree with it but when its done right it doesnt cause the pup any actual harm.

Irishchick wrote: »
    Tail docking isnt "cruel" if its done by a proper vet. You might not agree with it but when its done right it doesnt cause the pup any actual harm.

It's still going to be painful and very unnecessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Define 'done right'. There is no need to slice the tail off any pup. And most vets oppose the act and with good reason. My own vet refuses point blank to dock any pup calling the practice 'outdated and needlessly cruel'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

It was generally accepted until recently, but I think it's starting to become more frowned upon. Even though I know and respect people who dock, I would not touch a docked pup and I think it is cruel and unnecessary.

Most vets will not do it, so the chances of having a "proper" vet do it is slim. Even if they do, the procedure is the same and it's done without anesthesia as far as I'm aware (open to correction from a vet on this).

Pups usually do cry with pain on being docked and have a nervous system the same as a dog. It would be unacceptable to dock a fully grown dog for anything but medical reasons, and it would be completly unheard to do it without the dog being under anesthetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭boxermad

ISDW wrote: »
    What do you mean, it doesn't suit them? They are born with tails, so of course it suits them. What you mean is that asthetically you prefer them to be mutilated.

Method removed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

That is so outdated it is unbelievable, and also unbelievably cruel. Why not do the same to one of your fingers, and see how long it takes it to drop off, and whether you feel any pain or not. How can you seriously not think that cutting the blood circulation to a part of an animal's body is not painful?

I absolutely despair of people sometimes.

Method removed.

Its part of the animals anatomy for godsake

Once again I'll point you towards this link

http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/documents/why_taildocking_should_be_prohibited.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Whispered wrote: »
    It was generally accepted until recently, but I think it's starting to become more frowned upon. Even though I know and respect people who dock, I would not touch a docked pup and I think it is cruel and unnecessary.

Most vets will not do it, so the chances of having a "proper" vet do it is slim. Even if they do, the procedure is the same and it's done without anesthesia as far as I'm aware (open to correction from a vet on this).

Pups usually do cry with pain on being docked and have a nervous system the same as a dog. It would be unacceptable to dock a fully grown dog for anything but medical reasons, and it would be completly unheard to do it without the dog being under anesthetic.
    You can put local anaesthetic in the tail before the tail is cut off. So they don't feel the amputation. Thay will however feel pain once it wears off.

Advertisement