Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I dock the tails of my Rottweiler pups

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wetdogsmell

seamus wrote: »
    As does a docked tail. A tail has also been linked to use while swimming and for balance.

as i've said 4 of my dogs are docked and have never drowned or fell over for no reason

I brought it up because someone compared the docking procedure as being as painless as circumcision. When performed on young, yes it is. But doing something to one's body or an animal's body which is not medically required, is mutilation, plain and simple. All of the excuses and reasons are misguided or just plain ignorant.

i understand people being against docking of pets as its purely for looks, but i find your views on circumcision very ignorant, dismissing it just because you don't want one, people get circumcised for lots of different reasons some, hygene, medical or religious reasons, to use your own words, your "misguided or just plain ignorant"

sorry for going off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

but i find your views on circumcision very ignorant, dismissing it just because you don't want one, people get circumcised for lots of different reasons some, hygene, medical or religious reasons, to use your own words, your "misguided or just plain ignorant"
    It's been discussed at length elsewhere. The hygiene argument is baseless and religion is irrelevant - unless done for medicinal purposes, circumcision is mutilation. Yes this is all off topic, but my comparison is valid. I would suggest that you do some reading around both the topics of docking and circumcision.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wetdogsmell

seamus wrote: »
    It's been discussed at length elsewhere. The hygiene argument is baseless and religion is irrelevant - unless done for medicinal purposes, circumcision is mutilation. Yes this is all off topic, but my comparison is valid. I would suggest that you do some reading around both the topics of docking and circumcision.

i'm not claiming to to be an expert on either subject,, but all i need to now about docking is "tail comes off, dog lives a happy normal life un affected"

as for circumcision, i am quite atached to my foreskin and plan on keeping it were it is,, if i ever change my mind i'll look into it carefuly,, but unlike yourself i respect people choice to do what ever they want once its not harming anyone else (and yes before you say it i think its ok if they circumcise there kids)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A tail plays a pivotal role in this as positioning and movement of the tail signals to other animals about the dog's intention.

Both my dogs have sickle tails, presumably their communication skills arent up to par because of this :confused:

Advertisement