Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N18 - Limerick Tunnel & South Ring Road Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

liammur wrote: »
    Nonsense. The tourists are delighted to be able to bypass limerick going to kerry/clare/galway.
    The authorities are starting to get nervous. By October it will be fewer than 10,000 a day

You actually think we have more tourist journeys than working people journeys over the year. Please think about what you are posting before you post it. Yes everyone (the tourists, workers and myself included) glad to bypass Limerick en route elsewhere but to say that this tunnel was not needed to unclog the streets during the working week is ridiculous.

Ive been to college in LIT and have often beat the bus from city centre by walking such is the traffic during week. Weekends are a polar opposite as most commuters/students etc go home. During summer it mirrors the weekend. Once the schools and colleges are back the city will be busy out again and those coming from Kerry/Cork will use the tunnel to get to the north suburbs (LIT/Caherdavin/Coonagh). Same applies for Clare/Galway people going towards Castletroy/UL

It is foolish to suggest otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Time will tell.
    I suspect the taxpayer will be paying a lot of cash here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Nonsense. The tourists are delighted to be able to bypass limerick going to kerry/clare/galway.
    The authorities are starting to get nervous. By October it will be fewer than 10,000 a day

ah yes, the masses of tourists around these days

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/number-of-tourists-down-by-4250-a-day-126619.html

tear on year the roads are quieter during the summer with the schools off.

you think the tourists are more willing to use the tunnel to bypass traffic on a one off trip more so than those that have to sit in the traffic every day?

mossym wrote: »
    ah yes, the masses of tourists around these days

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/number-of-tourists-down-by-4250-a-day-126619.html

tear on year the roads are quieter during the summer with the schools off.

you think the tourists are more willing to use the tunnel to bypass traffic on a one off trip more so than those that have to sit in the traffic every day?

You must realise tourists also include irish people on holidays.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

You must realise tourists also include irish people on holidays.

i do, and i also realize that irish tourists will be on irish roads once the summer is over, and driving more often than when they are on holidays..i.e. twice a day every weekday

• Advertisement

i will update again in a few months with the figures, suffice to say at the moment they are more than disappointed.

Maybe dropping the price to a €1 per journey may help with the flagging sales.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Time will tell.
    I suspect the taxpayer will be paying a lot of cash here.

No, they won't. Even should your backwards world of traffic flows exist, there is no "revenue floor" on this scheme. That exists on the M3 and M3 alone.

"The tourists" are outweighed, heavily, by the increased traffic in winter months caused by schools, the university, the IT and inclement weather.

Time will tell that you're horrendously wrong. Again.

MYOB wrote: »
    [/B]

No, they won't. Even should your backwards world of traffic flows exist, there is no "revenue floor" on this scheme. That exists on the M3 and M3 alone.

"The tourists" are outweighed, heavily, by the increased traffic in winter months caused by schools, the university, the IT and inclement weather.

Time will tell that you're horrendously wrong. Again.

Again incorrect. I like this guy :)

Fewer than 12,000 vehicles today and the taxpayer will make up the shortfall.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Again incorrect. I like this guy :)

Fewer than 12,000 vehicles today and the taxpayer will make up the shortfall.

Proof, or stop lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

[/B]

Proof, or stop lying.

+1

Liammur, are you Mysterious in disguise?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

I went from CE to Cork this morning and went through LK to avoid the toll. Coming back, at the end of a long day the tunnel was a nobrainer.

very little traffic on Shannon bridge at 8.45am today though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

I hear the numbers using the tunnel are nowhere near the target. And they will decline drastically once the summer seaon ends.
    If ever there was a case of 'we could have told you so'.

Nah. If ever there was a case of 'we could have told you so' it is the non-use of the new Galway-Ennis railway :D!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Do you drive in Limerick ? Have you ever even been in Limerick ?

The roads in Limerick are wayyyyyyy quieter during the summer, especially the condell road, dock road and Ennis road.

Anyone who drives regularly in Limerick will tell you that.

Also as has been posted previously there is no minimum traffic guarantee in place for the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

1. Nonsense.

2. The tourists are delighted to be able to bypass limerick going to kerry/clare/galway. [Says who?]

3. The authorities are starting to get nervous. I]1 month into a 35-year contract?[/I

4. By October it will be fewer than 10,000 a day I]Based on what analysis?[/I

Well argued there lemur!

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Nah. If ever there was a case of 'we could have told you so' it is the non-use of the new Galway-Ennis railway :D!

At last a bit of reasoning, but sorry folks, the quality of the other posts simply don't merit a reply.

Will update you all on the progress in a few months, then we can decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

There will be more traffic around Limerick city in the Autumn, as always - most posters here are quite right in that.

Of course it remains to be seen if it will use the tunnel. I'm actually inclined to think not, as a lot of cross-city traffic in Limerick needs a non-existent northern relief road/ring-road (or indeed uses the route past Thomond Park, across Kings Island and over new Abbey river bridge to Dublin Road). The rest uses M7 and M20 to get between Castletroy and Raheen or else is going to/from the city centre.

For local traffic the tunnel only really serves Caherdavin, half of which is just outside the city centre anyway and would hardly go out of their way to go via the tunnel.

So it's really only long-distance that's going to be using the tunnel. That traffic might indeed be less after the summer.

So in a sense, all the posters here may be correct from a certain point of view - but I think liammur has a point even if it's not clear-cut and a bit counter-intuitive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Zoney wrote: »

So in a sense, all the posters here may be correct from a certain point of view - but I think liammur has a point even if it's not clear-cut and a bit counter-intuitive.

Whether the traffic increases or not the issue is that liammur keeps making unsubstantiated claims that he has yet to back up. He claims only 12,000 cars a day are using it yet in every interview I've read from Tom King since the tunnel opened he states that they are already getting 17,000 vehicles a day. Until I see the NRAs traffic counters contradicting him, I'll believe Tom King.
    Also he claims that the taxpayers will end up paying for lower traffic levels even though he's been told more than once that the M3 is the only scheme with that clause.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

At last a bit of reasoning, but sorry folks, the quality of the other posts simply don't merit a reply.

Ahem! (Embarrassed cough). :o

I'm not actually anti-tunnel; but as you so aptly put it the proof of the pudding will be in the baking. :cool:

So, that'd be no proof for your lie about the state covering losses on the road, then? Grand so.

Zoney wrote: »
    There will be more traffic around Limerick city in the Autumn, as always - most posters here are quite right in that.

Of course it remains to be seen if it will use the tunnel. I'm actually inclined to think not, as a lot of cross-city traffic in Limerick needs a non-existent northern relief road/ring-road (or indeed uses the route past Thomond Park, across Kings Island and over new Abbey river bridge to Dublin Road). The rest uses M7 and M20 to get between Castletroy and Raheen or else is going to/from the city centre.

For local traffic the tunnel only really serves Caherdavin, half of which is just outside the city centre anyway and would hardly go out of their way to go via the tunnel.

So it's really only long-distance that's going to be using the tunnel. That traffic might indeed be less after the summer.

Increased local traffic in the city during the winter months will push more long-distance traffic in to paying for the toll. I've used the tunnel to get to LIT from the Dublin side of the the city - I'd not bother in summer if it was my own money going on the toll, but when there's winter traffic I would. I'm in no way unique.

• Advertisement

So, that'd be no proof for your lie about the state covering losses on the road, then? Grand so.

Prove me incorrect or withdraw your lie allegations. I will readily apologise if you can do so.

Put up or shut up.

Prove me incorrect or withdraw your lie allegations. I will readily apologise if you can do so.

Put up or shut up.

You're the one making the claim, you're the one with the onus to prove it. And you can't. Hence its a lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

With respect, the quality of your own posts is falling short of the standard normally encountered in this forum. Your posts consist of short statements bereft of any facts. You are speculating and not backing anything up whatsoever. Unless you can prove that the taxpayer will have to foot the bill should AADT in the tunnel fall catastrophically low, you should be prepared to gracefully accept correction when it is pointed out that you are wrong. To not do so constitutes trolling and soapboxing, both of which are frustrating and annoying for other posters, as well as against the forum's charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Put up or shut up.

you are the one who said it, the burden of proof is on you.

Don't accuse other posters of lying - the poster in question could just be misinformed. If they are misinformed and refuse to accept correction then that's soapboxing and another matter entirely.

Furet wrote: »
    With respect, the quality of your own posts is falling short of the standard normally encountered in this forum. Your posts consist of short statements bereft of any facts. You are speculating and not backing anything up whatsoever. Unless you can prove that the taxpayer will have to foot the bill should AADT in the tunnel fall catastrophically low, you should be prepared to gracefully accept correction when it is pointed out that you are wrong. To not do so constitutes trolling and soapboxing, both of which are frustrating and annoying for other posters, as well as against the forum's charter.

This will be my last post in this section.

Fewer than 12,000 vehicles a day and the tax-payer will pay. If you want proof, contact the tunnel authorities. I suspect no one will prove this incorrect. To call someone a liar for that demonstrates a considerable lack of intelligence.

Fewer than 12,000 vehicles a day and the tax-payer will pay. If you want proof, contact the tunnel authorities. I suspect no one will prove this incorrect. To call someone a liar for that demonstrates a considerable lack of intelligence.

Okay, this is your claim. If the NRA says otherwise I trust you will accept correction and drop it. If you would care to link to proof for your claim that would make the thread more bearable.

I don't see why anyone here other than the person making the claim should have to do any work to provide proof.

If you want to make the claim, provide the proof yourself.

Furet wrote: »
    Okay, this is your claim. If the NRA says otherwise I trust you will accept correction and drop it. If you would care to link to proof for your claim that would make the thread more bearable.

Furet, i appreciate you as a moderator,and hence my reply. I didn't come on this thread or any other thread to tell lies or engage in niggling. I stated above I would readily apologise if I was wrong. I won't divulge where I got my information from but everyone is free to contact the tunnel authorities. As far as I am concerned this is the end of the matter.

• Advertisement

To clear my name I had to go onto the internet and search to prove that the M3 is NOT the only project which includes a PPP traffic guarantee mechanism.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=TRJ20091118.XML&Ex=All&Page=2

Deputy Cuffe asked a number of questions relating to public private partnership schemes being undertaken by the authority. The M3 PPP contract includes a traffic guarantee mechanism. The essence of such a mechanism, which is a common feature worldwide of large tolled infrastructure projects, is that where actual traffic levels on the road fall below predefined levels the contracting authority, in this case the NRA, makes certain payments to the concession company to compensate for the traffic shortfall up to the guaranteed level only. In the case of the M3, the traffic shortfall payments are subject to a number of conditions, the most substantial being that any payments made under it cannot be greater than 90% of debt service payments in any period when added to the toll revenues collected. This still leaves the concession company operating on a loss basis because it will have to fund ongoing operational costs as well as remaining debt service amounts. The rationale for introducing the traffic guarantee on the M3 scheme, although not on earlier schemes, arose due to its larger financial scale than the schemes in which the NRA had been involved previously. The scale of the private debt involved was approximately twice that of the earlier schemes. This traffic guarantee was solely developed with the final concession company but formed the basis upon which all of the companies and their banks tendered for the project. Ireland sought and received clearance from the European Commission for the guarantee.
    The level of traffic guarantee set out in the PPP contract for the initial year of operation is a combined total for the two plazas of 25,250 vehicles per day. If the traffic levels are 25,000 and the debt level thresholds are contravened, the concessionaire would receive an additional payment of approximately €100,000. If the traffic levels are 35,000 no additional payment arises.
    Deputy Cuffe also asked whether a traffic guarantee arises in any other PPP scheme procured to date. I can confirm that a traffic guarantee provision has been included in the Limerick tunnel PPP scheme. There were two reasons for its inclusion in this scheme, namely, to improve the bankability of a large and complex scheme and because the traffic modelling demonstrated that the forecast usage of the tolled tunnel varied considerably depending on assumptions about the implementation of Limerick City Council’s proposed city centre traffic management proposals. The NRA took the view that it would be inappropriate for tenders to take the element of traffic risk contingent on the implementation of the council’s city centre traffic management plan and that transferring such risk would not yield value for money. The traffic guarantee on the Limerick tunnel commences at 17,200 vehicles per day subject to debt levels provision. As the traffic guarantees diminish significantly with time both in terms of percent of forecast guaranteed and in terms of the outstanding debt level, the Government’s smarter travel policy, which post-dates the PPP contracts, is unlikely to be affected. The traffic guarantees for the Limerick project were also formally approved by the European Commission.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement