Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N18 - Limerick Tunnel & South Ring Road Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

knipex wrote: »
    Spoke to them on the phone the second day after opening.

They did admit to their being "some" issues with a "minority" of tag users but put it down to teething issues.

When I asked when the issue would be resolved they said there wasn't an issue :confused:

They sound like UPC customer support (also from Limerick) with that tone. Id have asked to speak with a supervisor and the supervisors supervisor if you got the same dopey reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 danielmcinerney

They sound like UPC customer support (also from Limerick) with that tone. Id have asked to speak with a supervisor and the supervisors supervisor if you got the same dopey reply

bought a tag off the tunnel website which arrived yesterday. instructions that came with it with were crap, just a badly photocopied sheet. rang up to ask how i use it and got the same UPC style tone

another problem is their accounts login page doesnt work which i complained about, was told it would be open this friday. like the toll booth themselves wouldnt you think this would be fully tested and operational before they issue the tags...

i asked about the express lane nearest the tunnel which is closed off. was told it would be open by tomorrow. when i asked why its not working was told "teething problems". i enquired why testing wasnt done to eliminate potential teething problems. i was told "it was done"

on the up side the tag did work going through the other express lane

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

bought a tag off the tunnel website which arrived yesterday. instructions that came with it with were crap, just a badly photocopied sheet. rang up to ask how i use it and got the same UPC style tone

another problem is their accounts login page doesnt work which i complained about, was told it would be open this friday. like the toll booth themselves wouldnt you think this would be fully tested and operational before they issue the tags...

i asked about the express lane nearest the tunnel which is closed off. was told it would be open by tomorrow. when i asked why its not working was told "teething problems". i enquired why testing wasnt done to eliminate potential teething problems. i was told "it was done"

on the up side the tag did work going through the other express lane

got mine yesterday as well, didn't work so I moved it a little bit and sure it beeped and the barrier worked - guy at the booth had his hand out for money as I drove on by,
    if your rear view mirror is secured to both the roof and window just place it below the center of the mirror, just below where it is secured to the window

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd suspect they only have 1 person to answer the phones...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

MYOB wrote: »
    I'd suspect they only have 1 person to answer the phones...

Which is where the written word comes in. Id also use the record facility on your phone and email them it on as a wav attachment. Personally cant stand such ignorance on the phone - these people are paid to be courteous and helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

got a reply from the tunnel operators today
    I apologise for any inconvenience caused unfortunately due to an error on the system we have been experiencing some problems with tags which is being rectified. It is also the toll collectors obligation to check your tag if needs be.

Kind Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

First day my TollTag didn't work, it beeped twice, paid the €1.80 to cashier he took the tag number down and said they'd look into it.

Two days later the tag worked fine, and as a bonus I wasn't charged. I can only assume that my tag number was added to some list not to charge on next time.

I have used it a couple of times since and it works fine, even with the express lane on the main line, and I have been billed as normal on my toll tag. I have noticed that the express lane is still closed at the Clonmacken roundabout. But the toll tag still works, just drive up to the cashier and beep, it opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

off topic...SNIP [/mod]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Mc Love wrote: »
    off topic...SNIP [/mod]

Interesting one for the 1,000th post in this thread :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Went through the tunnel (westbound) the other day. No reason it couldn't be motorway from the M7 to the old Ennis Road; all the restrictions are in place.

The eflow tag worked but the express lane was closed - I guess nobody is in any hurry to get to Clare - it was probably working in the opposite direction:).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭macbog

Saw a good one today going through the toll . A car stopped at the entrance to one of the manual lanes and a woman looking in her purse for change . :(

macbog wrote: »
    Saw a good one today going through the toll . A car stopped at the entrance to one of the manual lanes and a woman looking in her purse for change . :(

Just like at any ole ATM machine. Maybe the toll took her by surprise? - y'know, the way check-out counters in shops always do! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Just like at any ole ATM machine. Maybe the toll took her by surprise? - y'know, the way check-out counters in shops always do! :cool:

Or maybe she had a tag which refused to work thus taking her by surprise. I'd end up fishing for money if I drove up to a barrier and it didn't automatically open. Don't always assume the worst of people.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jayuu wrote: »
    Or maybe she had a tag which refused to work thus taking her by surprise. I'd end up fishing for money if I drove up to a barrier and it didn't automatically open. Don't always assume the worst of people.

I'd press the button for the intercom that the coin barriers have instead.

Nope . She just drove into the lane , stopped about 5 meters from the cashier reached over got her handbag and proceeded to look for change . I was behind her ! I joined 3 or 4 cars in the next lane and was exiting before she drove up to the cashier .

So.....my "assumption," based on vast years of experience, was not far off the mark! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

at least by stopping before the lane she wasn't blocking anyone else's passage through and hold up the whole cashier lane for everyone else while she fished around for money - you'd have complained if she did that too. Maybe she wasn't sure she actually did have any money at all on her or in the car - - - - stop whinging. she didn't hold you up did she

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

I went through it yesterday with my e-flow tag. Express lane was closed but the coin basket lane read my tag fine and off I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

slinky2000 wrote: »
    I went through it yesterday with my e-flow tag. Express lane was closed but the coin basket lane read my tag fine and off I went.

This might be a stupid question, but going by all the posts I've read so far are the "Express lanes" ever open on this road?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

dubhthach wrote: »
    This might be a stupid question, but going by all the posts I've read so far are the "Express lanes" ever open on this road?

not that I've seen but I've only ever use the clonmacken exit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

dubhthach wrote: »

I used the Express lane South/East bound from Shannon, last Tuesday. I think I've heard the North/West bound one was closed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    I used the Express lane South/East bound from Shannon, last Tuesday. I think I've heard the North/West bound one was closed though.

They were both closed yesterday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 danielmcinerney

the express lane heading away from limerick (the one nearest the tunnel) has never been open. the opposite express lane was working fine for me, until i saw it has been closed off with bollards this morning :mad: im guessing since theres been no significant buildup of traffic yet theyre not too bothered to get these working properly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

How are the Ennis and Condell Roads now that the tunnel is open? Any judgement as to whether Dock Road is better/worse since the SRR phase 2 opening?

Wild Bill wrote: »
    So.....my "assumption," based on vast years of experience, was not far off the mark! :D
    Yep . Spot on Bill

at least by stopping before the lane she wasn't blocking anyone else's passage through and hold up the whole cashier lane for everyone else while she fished around for money - you'd have complained if she did that too. Maybe she wasn't sure she actually did have any money at all on her or in the car - - - - stop whinging. she didn't hold you up did she
    Yes she did . I had to back up and join the Q in the next lane . She did actually block the lane . :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Took the road today.

Toll tried to charge me €3.80 at one of the car only basket lanes so I had to press the help button to get through.

I overtook 2 trucks near the end of the motorway at the Castletroy end and met them again at Nengh - they had continued along the old road at birdhill, so there does not appear to be a time saving at the moment on the Nenagh section.

Coming back from Nenagh there was a man cycling along on his bike, up the incline just outside Nenagh.

The Caherdavin slip joins the road immediately before the tunnel, it looks a bit of a tight joinup and has the potential to cause problems.

It will cost a lot to maintain all the systems that they have, staff, barriers, cameras etc. etc. I wonder what profit will be left when all the costs are paid out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tonythetap

I've been away on holidays until last Saturday and was raging I missed the opening day. Anyway, I drove through it Northbound on Sunday, exiting at Caherdavin and yesterday (Monday) evening around 9.20pm heading South this time. Anyway, I recently purchased a tag from tolltag.ie and while I've used other tolls and they have been registered almost instantly (including the M7/M8 on Sunday morning at 2am), the Limerick tunnell toll doesn't seem to have registered yet. The express lanes in both directions were not working but the barrier lifted on recognising my tag, but it did not "beep" like it did on other tolls. Can anyone explain?

Incidentally, it's fantastic to have this open finally. It's always been a massive source of annoyance to me driving in the Dock Road heading for Ennis or Shannon and once you cross the Shannon Bridge you're passing all the same landmarks again on the way out Condell Road. But I do think they they should have built an iconic bridge instead, which would have been a landmark gateway to the city, attracting even more favourable comment for our city/county than the tunnel has.

Anyway your comments on the charging of the toll are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

tonythetap wrote: »
    I've been away on holidays until last Saturday and was raging I missed the opening day. Anyway, I drove through it Northbound on Sunday, exiting at Caherdavin and yesterday (Monday) evening around 9.20pm heading South this time. Anyway, I recently purchased a tag from tolltag.ie and while I've used other tolls and they have been registered almost instantly (including the M7/M8 on Sunday morning at 2am), the Limerick tunnell toll doesn't seem to have registered yet. The express lanes in both directions were not working but the barrier lifted on recognising my tag, but it did not "beep" like it did on other tolls. Can anyone explain?

Incidentally, it's fantastic to have this open finally. It's always been a massive source of annoyance to me driving in the Dock Road heading for Ennis or Shannon and once you cross the Shannon Bridge you're passing all the same landmarks again on the way out Condell Road. But I do think they they should have built an iconic bridge instead, which would have been a landmark gateway to the city, attracting even more favourable comment for our city/county than the tunnel has.

Hey man, my eflow tag bleeps on the m50 and Shannon toll but doesn't on the Drogheda toll. It still takes my money though :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

tonythetap wrote: »

I have a tolltag.ie tag. It does work on the tunnel at the normal gates (I am raging that they have yet to open their express lane when thats what they sell the tag on, but thats another story.) My tag does not "Beep" on the tunnel, but beeps on most other tolls around the country, (with the exception of one I cant recall now if its the M7 or M6.)

I have been wondering if it only beeps when Im travelling "to fast" through the reader or if it beeps when the toll is over a certain price or to indicate the toll is operated by another tag provider (ie tolls developed by another private provider.)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement