Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farve has retired as per several media sources*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Schefter is believing his own hype.

He is quality was the best around until his big payday move to ESPN

I'd love to see him back on NFL Network, humbled and doing what he does best.
    I'm not a fan of Jason La Confora
    ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen and NFL Insider Adam Schefter will depart on separate road trips later this month as part of ESPN’s “On the Road to Camp” – a cross-country bus tour that will take the ESPN duo to all 32 NFL team training camps in 19 days, July 29 – Aug. 16. Mortensen will begin his journey from Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, site of Super Bowl XLV, and concentrate on teams in the West, while Schefter will depart the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, and focus on the East.

“It's a post-card of America that Adam and I can share, some of it very unpredictable. How did I know I was going to end up in a Wisconsin cheese factory last year during my visit with the Packers....and make a fool out of myself?,” said Mortensen. “Maybe, just maybe, I'll average four hours of sleep a night. But as Colts' great assistant coach Tom Moore once told me at 5:15 in the morning, `Mort, you gotta love it!' And we do."

“The race - and coverage - is on,” added Schefter. “Mort's doing the West Coast, I'm doing the East Coast and even Roger Goodell is taking his own trip. Whomever smells worst at the end wins.”

What are ESPN trying to do exactly?
    You'd swear these journalists are trying to be the Commissioner.
    Do what you do best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Schefter is believing his own hype.

He is quality was the best around until his big payday move to ESPN

I'd love to see him back on NFL Network, humbled and doing what he does best.
    I'm not a fan of Jason La Confora

What are ESPN trying to do exactly?
    You'd swear these journalists are trying to be the Commissioner.
    Do what you do best

i really like Jason La Confora,he does some really good pieces for the Tony Kornheiser radio show.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Favre boards plane to Minnesota, expected to rejoin Vikings
    NFL.com

Brett Favre is on a plane heading to Minnesota where the quarterback is expected rejoin his Vikings teammates, a league source tells NFL.com's Steve Wyche.

The "intent" is for Favre to play, according to the source, but it is unclear if he will begin practicing right away.

Also on board are three of Favre's closest friends on the Vikings -- defensive end Jared Allen, guard Steve Hutchinson and kicker Ryan Longwell -- who traveled to Hattiesburg, Miss., to try to convince the quarterback to come back, "The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported.

NFL Network confirmed that the players visited Favre, but it isn't known if they actually talked him into returning. Favre's surgically repaired left ankle is sore when he runs, but he wants to get started as soon as he could, ankle permitting.

Minutes after Hanson's report, Favre's official Web site sent an e-mail to members of the media, saying: "Stay tuned for breaking news from the Minnesota Vikings today on Brett Favre's possible return."

Favre has wavered all summer on whether or not to return. He created a firestorm when he reportedly texted some Vikings teammates and team officials Aug. 2, saying he would retire because his ankle hadn't responded to offseason surgery as well as he had hoped.

Favre's agent, Bus Cook, said the next day that the 40-year-old signal-caller will play if his ankle is healthy enough.

During Hall of Fame weekend, Favre texted NFL Network analyst Steve Mariucci that the ankle still was giving him problems.

"His arm feels great," said Mariucci, who was Favre's quarterback coach in Green Bay. "His conditioning is good, but he hasn't run much without pain in his ankle. It still gives him pain, and it needs to be better before he reports."

With Favre under center last season, the Vikings finished 12-4, won their second consecutive NFC North title and advanced to the NFC Championship Game, where they lost to the eventual Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints in overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

As Joe Pesci said in My Cousin Vinny..'well, there' a f**king surprise'!

No real shock and it makes the Vikings genuine contenders if he can repeat the form of last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Delighted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Whatever Brett. There's still 3 weeks til the season opener, time enough for hiim to retire again, come back, retire and come back again, just in time for the Saints game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

fisgon wrote: »
    Whatever Brett. There's still 3 weeks til the season opener, time enough for hiim to retire again, come back, retire and come back again, just in time for the Saints game.

I dont see any quotes directly attributed to Favre at all. more media creating stories about him.

I dont get why the media whine about hte fact Favre retires, then comes back etc, when they are the ones who are spinning these stories. Favre hasnt said anything either way, only that if healthy he will return. previously he has acted the fool, but this off season he hasnt done anything yet the stories still float around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Never a dull moment.
    In all seriousness, the whole league would have been poorer as entertainment and as a sport if Farve retired. I think he has a more than healthy ego and some hobbies that are as abrassive to me as sandpaper to the eyes - Farve was only half kidding when he said the Jets telling him he could hunt deer near the training facility was a reason for him joining them..! - but few can say he's not one of the most enjoyable QBs to watch play the game. A repeat of the NFC championship game to start the season as well as two more Packer bowls? Yes please.

Oh, and Adam Schefter always reminded me of Adam Davies from Entourage and if anyone has good enough taste to get that (!) they'll know that's no compliment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Even being reported on SSN (sky sports news) that Favre stated he will be playing this season, and reporting to training camp.

bruschi wrote: »
    I dont see any quotes directly attributed to Favre at all. more media creating stories about him.

I dont get why the media whine about hte fact Favre retires, then comes back etc, when they are the ones who are spinning these stories. Favre hasnt said anything either way, only that if healthy he will return. previously he has acted the fool, but this off season he hasnt done anything yet the stories still float around.

I do agree that the media have made a lot of it, have built up the whole soap opera, but Favre himself is a ditherer, and hasn't helped the situation. It worries me that it took a visitation from 3 teammates to get him to come back, if the dude is ready to play he shouldn't need to be persuaded.

That said, I'm glad he's back, it does make the NFL a more interesting place, and that first game is now unmissable. I also like the way he speaks, watching the press conference, he is honest and sincere, and likeable. Would love to see them in the superbowl, but can't see them repeating last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I'd never question Favre's commitment to a team, once the decision is made. He's the oldest player ever to play in the NFL. Does that not warrant any kind of time to reflect? he's not 24 -- it was never going to be a decision made in February at his age.

As said, Favre never once mentioned the R word. It was always about his ankle. Jay Glazer on Fox sports says he "seen" the texts. Well guess what Jay - that text wasn't meant for you (I really fcuking hate these hacks who sidle up to players and act like their buddies, for the "scoop"). I have a funny feeling that's one of the reasons Jared Allen and the rest flew out to talk to Favre -- to explain how that text got into the press.

I'm delighted he's back. And if the Colts don't win the Super Bowl, then I hope it's the Vikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

I'm so sick of #4, his claim that he's coming back "for the team" is BS. If he was that concerned about the team he would have been taking his reps at training camp in Mankado with the rest of them instead of being the diva and making the Vikings prostrate themselves before him again.
    I hope he get's lit up by the Saints. I used to love Favre but all of this stuff has turned me off him massively. I think it's a complete sham and he's tarnished his legacy as one of the great QBs of the modern era.

Would love to see them in the superbowl, but can't see them repeating last year.

Let's not forget that Favre cost them that game in the NFC championship. Yes, they wouldn't have been there without him but he threw two picks and fumbled the football. And the crucial interception was thrown by Favre when he had a clear path to run for the first down but just tossed the ball instead across his body and got picked off. He's a great quarterback but he's still a liability in high pressure situations like this. He gave the Giants a gift of an interception in the NFC game back in 2008 too.

Again, I used to love Favre, one of my favourite players but I'm so put off by this carry on of the last two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

davyjose wrote: »
    He's the oldest player ever to play in the NFL.

There are older kickers and punters out there too.

As Rich Eisen says ; kickers are people too :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

JonnyF wrote: »
    Let's not forget that Favre cost them that game in the NFC championship. Yes, they wouldn't have been there without him but he threw two picks and fumbled the football. And the crucial interception was thrown by Favre when he had a clear path to run for the first down but just tossed the ball instead across his body and got picked off. He's a great quarterback but he's still a liability in high pressure situations like this. He gave the Giants a gift of an interception in the NFC game back in 2008 too.

Again, I used to love Favre, one of my favourite players but I'm so put off by this carry on of the last two years.

was it not pretty conclusive that he did not have a clear path, and especially with such a dodgy ankle that he could barely stand on, there was no way he'd have made the 5 yards.

I was pissed off at Favre last year, and probably more so the year before when he was messing the Packers and Jets about, but he is getting a lot of crap this year that I think is undeserved. He kept quiet, and to himself, yet now people are complaining about that too. Cant win really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Would love to see them in the superbowl, but can't see them repeating last year.

Why not? Surely they are just as likely to do it this year as last. Last season should have been a 14-2 year for them. Instead, bad luck and numerous turnovers in games against the Steelers and the Broncos cost them dear. There is no way Peterson will have the same amount of fumbles as he had last year. All in all, despite his stats, it was a disappionting year from him and I expect him to set the league alight this year. He will also have help from a much more settled offensive line.

Percy Harvin and Sidney Rice were stars last year and by all accounts they should be even better this year, especially Harvin. Also Bernard Berrian was plauged with injuries last year, but it is important to remember that he went into 09 as the Vikes no.1 reciever.

The defence is top 10 set up and will remain so this year.

The vikes dont need a Favre as good as last year, they only need a fairly adequate year from Favre to reach the superbowl.

Remember that the Vikes should have been in a superbowl last year. Even forgetting about the 6 turnovers they handed to the saints on the saints home patch, forgetting about the bone headed decision of Favre not to run on that final play, If it wasn't for a lost coin flip and some of the worst officiating ever seen in overtime of that game, the Vikings would have been NFC champions.

bruschi wrote: »
    was it not pretty conclusive that he did not have a clear path, and especially with such a dodgy ankle that he could barely stand on, there was no way he'd have made the 5 yards.

I was pissed off at Favre last year, and probably more so the year before when he was messing the Packers and Jets about, but he is getting a lot of crap this year that I think is undeserved. He kept quiet, and to himself, yet now people are complaining about that too. Cant win really.

Admittedly not the best footage but best I could find right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Iw2YejS9A&feature=related

In the still they show it's pretty clear that he could have scuttled for decent yardage, there was good protection and good downfield blocking. The most frustrating thing about it is that we all know Brett Favre is a tough SOB, so why couldn't he tuck it and run? He couldn't but be a bad ass after taking so many punishing hits all career. I'm not saying he's not brave, just can go to s**t sometimes in big pressure situations and I won't be surprised if something similar happens this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smhiIIekc8g&feature=related

Better link to the interception. I think that's doable, even if he picked up 8 or 9 yards it's a 50 yard field goal indoors that you'd think a kicker like Longwell could make.

I think the Vikes will still be good but I won't be rooting for them. Last year I was caught up in things a bit more and wanted Brett to go out on top but he's milking it this year and the Prima Donna act is getting tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Dudes this was debated at length last season and to be honest you are better off agreeing to disagree :D

There are those of us who felt 100% blame shouldn't have gone on Favre due to the fact he was beat up on a bad ankle.

But then there are those who just plainly disagree and fail to meet in the middle.

And lastly there are those who neither agree nor disagree and stay neutral.

But lets not all forget it is not a one man show and the Vikings as a team could have done better that night.

This is his ankle after that NFC Champ game for those who didn't see it:

brett-favre-bruised-ankle-1.jpg

JonnyF wrote: »
    I think the Vikes will still be good but I won't be rooting for them. Last year I was caught up in things a bit more and wanted Brett to go out on top but he's milking it this year and the Prima Donna act is getting tired.

Now I disagree with you here? Milking it? Please the man wants to play football and pushing 41 and a Guaranteed HOF who are we to say otherwise. If the Vikings want to give him a contract and let him play how can you say he is milking it?. Hats off to the guy at 41 for wanting to keep going.

Trust me if we were Brett Favre and loved the game as much as he did and a team were willing to give you a contract and play you, you would take it and no one here can argue that. There are many players out there now looking at this say fook me I should have given it a couple more years. Any of those so called experts who don't like Favre for me hold a slight bit of jealousy that they are not in the same situation, especially the ex players now critics.

I hope when I am 41 I can still play sports at any level especially contact sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Not to be an anorak, but..

Steve DeBerg is the oldest starting QB who was 44 years and 279 days old when he started for the Falcons in 1998. In all honesty, I only found that one when I Googled just now - the one that came instantly to mind was Vinny Testaverade who was also over 44 years old when he started for the Panthers in 2007. So expect more speculation next year even if Farve remains adamant. Gotta fill those virtual column inches!

brett-favre-bruised-ankle-1.jpg

Yowza!

davyjose wrote: »
    I'd never question Favre's commitment to a team, once the decision is made. He's one of the oldest players ever to play in the NFL. But the most consistent player of age having started every game in the last 19 years. Does that not warrant any kind of time to reflect? he's not 24 -- it was never going to be a decision made in February at his age.

As sa

Just to fix this for you dude ;)

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Why not? Surely they are just as likely to do it this year as last. Last season should have been a 14-2 year for them. Instead, bad luck and numerous turnovers in games against the Steelers and the Broncos cost them dear. There is no way Peterson will have the same amount of fumbles as he had last year. All in all, despite his stats, it was a disappionting year from him and I expect him to set the league alight this year. He will also have help from a much more settled offensive line.

Vikes are not going to be as good again for a number of reasons….

(i) tougher schedule…..they’re on the road against New Orleans, the Jets, NE, Philly, they’ve got an improved Giants, Dallas and Miami at home. Also, everyone in their division has got better, even the Lions, who may now even have a pass rush of sorts.

(ii) Favre is a year older….he's not going to last the season unscathed, that ankle is not going to last, difference between 40 and 41 is significant at that age.

(iii) injuries.... Harvin isn't in camp yet, and Rice has a hip problem. Along with Favre, Sidney was the key to their run last year. Also, Pat Williams is a year older too, and just about the age when production starts dropping off.

(iv) Chester taylor is gone. he was used to spell AP last year, was very effective, it's going to take Gerhart a few weeks or months to fit in.

Don't get me wrong, they're going to be good. But not 12-4 good, not this year. They'll struggle to win the division again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

(i) tougher schedule…..they’re on the road against New Orleans, the Jets, NE, Philly, they’ve got an improved Giants, Dallas and Miami at home. Also, everyone in their division has got better, even the Lions, who may now even have a pass rush of sorts.

That's their biggest problem imo. It's a very realistic possibility that they could start the season 1-6 (Saints, Dolphins, Lions, Jets, Cowboys, Packers and Patriots in that order).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Its going to be a risk for the management. What stage do they introduce Farve at? Do they risk it and go all out at the start of the season and risk Farve getting bust or do they hold him off for a couple weeks. Interesting times.

Stev_o wrote: »
    Its going to be a risk for the management. What stage do they introduce Farve at? Do they risk it and go all out at the start of the season and risk Farve getting bust or do they hold him off for a couple weeks. Interesting times.

Favre will start opening weekend. All or nothing at this point in his career. The Vikes know the risk especially based on last season but keeping your best QB on the bench especially after getting him to play this season is not going to be an option I wouldn't imagine and Favre after 19 seasons playing every game isn't going to want to sit on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

All this speculation is hilarious.

And seriously, a 1-6 start? Laughable!!!!! Those opening games are at least a 4-3 start. Favre or no Favre! (5-2 minimum with Favre)....ok maybe not, but nowhere near 1-6.

As good as last year? Maybe not... but we're still a 10 win team which will see us win the NFC North again. Look for an improved defense and running game from us this season, less pressure on Brett to carry the team.

Prediction: Superbowl! - you heard it here first.

Ultimately it's all about the playoffs, and I've no doubts the Vikes will get there.

Once they're in the playoffs, there is only one man with favre's experience
    it's favre.
    And make no mistake that make a huge difference.

• Advertisement

:D

Advertisement