Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farve has retired as per several media sources*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

You guys are delluded if you think Favre doesn't love the attention. That tweet is right, he's the same as Ocho and TO but gets far less abuse.

Who said Favre doesn't like the attention? I know I didn't. The reason I put that tweet in there is because it sums up how much of a twat Schefter is. He is clearly just brown nosing to make him self look good or popular when it fact it terrible journalism and nothing short of pathetic.

But ask yourself one thing. If the media ignored Favre do you think we would be talking about him so much? Same goes for TO and Ocho. The media play up to these guys and give them what they want it is that simple. And then you get brown nosers like Schefter picking sides to make himself look cool.

But the sad thing is Favre didn't start the rumours this time. Bad journalism did. The simple fact remains he is still a legend and fooking fantastic QB for a 40 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

You guys are delluded if you think Favre doesn't love the attention. That tweet is right, he's the same as Ocho and TO but gets far less abuse.

The tweet is wrong. TO has his own reality TV show, Favre is practicing with High School kids in Mississippi.

As much as you want to believe this situation was Favre's doing, it wasn't. The media have been so desperate for a Favre story to break, that they jumped the gun on this one.

davyjose wrote: »
    The tweet is wrong. TO has his own reality TV show, Favre is practicing with High School kids in Mississippi.

As much as you want to believe this situation was Favre's doing, it wasn't. The media have been so desperate for a Favre story to break, that they jumped the gun on this one.

So does Ocho

Favre is in his 40's, and his body is banjaxed. Gave up on him in '08, and was beaten up badly last season too.

There is absolutely no way the decision to retire, or not, is a straight "yes or no" for the guy. The problem is: he's high profile, and the media like to leap all over him.

Give him a break, he might like attention, and money (shockingly!), but we all do, certainly he's not the worse for it in the NFL. Not even close.

I'll also concede he handled things badly with the Rodgers situation, and maybe even with the Jets contract, but this year he has played it straight, been honest and open with his coach, and quietly worked on getting fit. Any media whoring this year is a complete fabrication.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,769 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I used to like him on NFLN. Can't say I've seen/heard alot of him lately but I may very well do the same as main reason I used twitter is as another outlet to follow NFL.

This that particularly got me yesterday though

Like Bush is one to be making such comments :rolleyes:
    Yeah I tweeted this back to him when that was retweeted to me.:D
    Not surprisingly the words of a man who loves money so much he had to get paid to play in college RT @reggie_bush Enough said!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Who said Favre doesn't like the attention? I know I didn't. The reason I put that tweet in there is because it sums up how much of a twat Schefter is. He is clearly just brown nosing to make him self look good or popular when it fact it terrible journalism and nothing short of pathetic.

But ask yourself one thing. If the media ignored Favre do you think we would be talking about him so much? Same goes for TO and Ocho. The media play up to these guys and give them what they want it is that simple. And then you get brown nosers like Schefter picking sides to make himself look cool.

But the sad thing is Favre didn't start the rumours this time. Bad journalism did. The simple fact remains he is still a legend and fooking fantastic QB for a 40 year old.

lol, all favre has to do is come out and say if he's retiring or not. He refuses to do that, why is that? Because he likes the attention of it all, simple as that. Everyone knows he'll most likely be back. He hasn't even come out and said he'll be back only if fit. "Oh I'll day it day by day so I can drag it out as much as possible and lap up the attention". Of course though, no one can ever say anything negative about Favre here.

lol, all favre has to do is come out and say if he's retiring or not. He refuses to do that, why is that?
    In fairness, if you had read all the posts you'd see why.

I'll say it for the third time though: he's injured and at 40 with twenty years of playing in the NFL behind him, doesn't know yet if he's up to it. He's told his coach this, and his coach respects that.

YOU are the one looking for the conspiracy theory here. The press invented a story yesterday, to reignite Favrewatch (serving their own purposes), and Favre gets the backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

lol, all favre has to do is come out and say if he's retiring or not. He refuses to do that, why is that? Because he likes the attention of it all, simple as that. Everyone knows he'll most likely be back. He hasn't even come out and said he'll be back only if fit. "Oh I'll day it day by day so I can drag it out as much as possible and lap up the attention". Of course though, no one can ever say anything negative about Favre here.

:rolleyes: 1.10

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81983f63/It-s-not-about-the-money?module=HP_video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Schefter has gone down hill big time.

Disappointed with Schefter

He was on the ball for a long time, realy a guy to follow as he'd break all the stories before anyone else. Best in the business

But now?
    Big move to ESPN but a journalist is supposed to report the news and not be the news.
    Sure he's publicized his tour of different training camps.
    Does he think he is Commissioner Goodell?

Are you watching the same vids as the rest of us? He clearly says he hasn't made up his mind and will play if Healthy.

Please watch this again and get on the same page:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81983f63/It-s-not-about-the-money?module=HP_cp2

Favre: I don't know if I am going to retire

Favre: Its not about money

Favre: I haven't made a decision yet.
    Reporter: If you are healthy will you play?
    Favre: Um.... If I am healthy sure.

Reporter: Did you send text messages to your team mates
    Favre: No
    Reporter: Not to anyone
    Favre: No

Seems quite clear to me his intentions. It is all about his health. But hey if you have any other sources that the rest of us don't know about feel free to share.

• Advertisement

He hasn't even come out and said he'll be back only if fit. Of course though, no one can ever say anything negative about Favre here.

He has, but more to the point, he's in constant contact with his coach.

The media say enough bad sh!t about Favre. We're just fans balancing it out :)

Of course though, no one can ever say anything negative about Favre here.

As for this bit :rolleyes: It seems his fans and those sticking up for him are sticking to the facts tonight though. Something you have failed to do.

My bad, didn't see that video. So 8 months after the season is over and a few days into TC he's come out for the first time and said he'll play if fit? I take it all back Brett, clearly you've not dragged it out. :rolleyes:

My bad, didn't see that video. So 8 months after the season is over and a few days into TC he's come out for the first time and said he'll play if fit? I take it all back Brett, clearly you've not dragged it out at all. :rolleyes:

no, 8 months after the season ended, the press fabricated a story about Favre, so he explained his position.

So YOU want him to come out and draw attention to himself? You want him to gather the press around to announce to the world his intentions. Why?

My bad, didn't see that video. So 8 months after the season is over and a few days into TC he's come out for the first time and said he'll play if fit? I take it all back Brett, clearly you've not dragged it out at all. :rolleyes:

To be honest with you, you need to actually read what is going on. This last 24 hours had nothing to do with Favre but the media jumping the gun.

The Vikings and Favre have both said they have been in contact all along and are on the same page.

As people have questioned him about retiring once again :rolleyes: He answered the question as to whether or not he was retiring. He was put on the spot and this time not doing his song and dance about it.

Had the media not reported the "Text messages" we most likely wouldn't be talking about this until after camp and well into the pre-season. And the Vikings and Favre would have most likely in true Favre fashion told us what he was doing just before opening day or the last pre-season game. Oh wait scratch all of that the media would be speculating and calling Favre all sorts of things and telling him to make his decision already. And generally making a circus of it. Bring on Favre watch 2010 :rolleyes:

Again Sure Favre played up to this before we all know it but in this instance it had nothing to do with him other than the media reaching for a story.

no, 8 months after the season ended, the press fabricated a story about Favre, so he explained his position.

So YOU want him to come out and draw attention to himself? You want him to gather the press around to announce to the world his intentions. Why?

I never said I wanted him to do, but if he wants to avoid all this hassle that's what anyone with any sense would do. As I said he's an attention whore so I don't expect him to do that.

To be honest with you, you need to actually read what is going on. This last 24 hours had nothing to do with Favre but the media jumping the gun.

The Vikings and Favre have both said they have been in contact all along and are on the same page.

As people have questioned him about retiring once again :rolleyes: He answered the question as to whether or not he was retiring. He was put on the spot and this time not doing his song and dance about it.

Had the media not reported the "Text messages" we most likely wouldn't be talking about this until after camp and well into the pre-season. And the Vikings and Favre would have most likely in true Favre fashion told us what he was doing just before opening day or the last pre-season game. Oh wait scratch all of that the media would be speculating and calling Favre all sorts of things and telling him to make his decision already. And generally making a circus of it. Bring on Favre watch 2010 :rolleyes:

Again Sure Favre played up to this before we all know it but in this instance it had nothing to do with him other than the media reaching for a story.

Of course he is partially to blame, he's said nothing so far really about his intentions. Considering the drama that surrounded him over the whole "will he wont he" crap he'd want to be fairly thick not to expect it to happen again. He should expect that the longer he says nothing the more the media will milk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

It's as simple as this. Favre is waiting too see if he'll be able to go come week 1. He's actually come out and said that he and the Vikings have a date in mind for when a decision is to be made and both sides are happy with that. I cannot logically (of course there are many that'll twist logic just to portray their own view) see what the problem is here.

I never said I wanted him to do, but if he wants to avoid all this hassle that's what anyone with any sense would do.

That's BS, Chucky. If he came out in February and said he was coming back, you would say he's a media whore - he'll get slated either way.

Apart from the practicality (or lack of) of a 40 year old man, with a smashed up body, predicting his fitness 6 months in the future. So not only are you slating him for keeping his head down, you're slating him for not being stupid :confused:

Of course he is partially to blame, he's said nothing so far really about his intentions. Considering the drama that surrounded him over the whole "will he wont he" crap he'd want to be fairly thick not to expect it to happen again. He should expect that the longer he says nothing the more the media will milk it.

Oh so wait he has to bow down to the media now is that what you are saying? He has to make all his decisions to please them?

I like Favre I wont deny it. I have criticised him in the past for last season and the media thing but hell if I was 40 and a HOF candidate and rich I would be the same. But again the last 24 hours was not one of these classic Favre moments from last season.

Yes he should expect the media attention again but he shouldnt expect them Making up stories to get his attention. Huge difference in him saying will I wont I and the media making up sh1t just to get a story.

At the end of it all whether we agree with his methods the man is clearly hurting and from all those photos from the end of the season you could see the huge bruises and damage to his ankle and at 40 that wont be easy pain to get over. But if Favre says he wants to wait and see how his body feels who are we to question him? Its his fooking body and he knows best.

He clearly wants to play in the NFL and if it takes him right up until the opening day to decide that is between him and the Vikings. And right now the Vikings players and Coaches and backroom staff are supporting him. So this time round the media got it wrong it is that simple. They reached for a story and failed to get one.

• Advertisement

Oh so wait he has to bow down to the media now is that what you are saying? He has to make all his decisions to please them?

I like Favre I wont deny it. I have criticised him in the past for last season and the media thing but hell if I was 40 and a HOF candidate and rich I would be the same. But again the last 24 hours was not one of these classic Favre moments from last season.

Yes he should expect the media attention again but he shouldnt expect them Making up stories to get his attention. Huge difference in him saying will I wont I and the media making up sh1t just to get a story.

At the end of it all whether we agree with his methods the man is clearly hurting and from all those photos from the end of the season you could see the huge bruises and damage to his ankle and at 40 that wont be easy pain to get over. But if Favre says he wants to wait and see how his body feels who are we to question him? Its his fooking body and he knows best.

He clearly wants to play in the NFL and if it takes him right up until the opening day to decide that is between him and the Vikings. And right now the Vikings players and Coaches and backroom staff are supporting him. So this time round the media got it wrong it is that simple. They reached for a story and failed to get one.

This. Exactly.

It really is a case of getting the boot in, while people can. people might not like him, or how he behaved in the past, but using this story to have a go at him is clutching at straws tbh.

That's BS, Chucky. If he came out in February and said he was coming back, you would say he's a media whore - he'll get slated either way.

Apart from the practicality (or lack of) of a 40 year old man, with a smashed up body, predicting his fitness 6 months in the future. So not only are you slating him for keeping his head down, you're slating him for not being stupid :confused:

What stopped him in February and coming out and saying "I'll play if I'm fit, we won't know that until X date". He's come out now and said it because it's all blown up in the media, which was bound to happen. I didn't know you were such a mind reader Davy, thanks for telling me how I'd feel if he did go public in Febraury. :rolleyes: I actually would have congratulated him for stating his intentions from the start unlike the way he's acted the past 4 odds years.

Oh please, the media always make up stories. He should have had the cop on to realise the longer he said nothing the great the chances of them blowing something out of proportion and creating a media storm. He could have made sure this never happened by simply stating his intentions a long time ago, he never did this. He only did it after the media storm kicked off.

What stopped him in February and coming out and saying "I'll play if I'm fit, we won't know that until X date". He's come out now and said it because it's all blown up in the media, which was bound to happen

What compelled him?

At his age, with a battered up body, and the season > 6 months away his default mindset would be to call it a day. And I couldn't blame him for that.

This is what happened last offseason and the offseason before, and he retired. Then he changed his mind. What i can see is: he had similar doubts, but learned not to make any early decisions. And that's not good enough either.

The criticism is a joke tbh, and I'm getting seriously fcuking bored arguing this point.

Oh please, the media always make up stories. He should have had the cop on to realise the longer he said nothing the great the chances of them blowing something out of proportion and creating a media storm. He could have made sure this never happened by simply stating his intentions a long time ago, he never did this. He only did it after the media storm kicked off.

I think at this point I am done debating this with you. I can see you skimmed over everything I wrote and and really didn't take in what I wrote because my only response to this would be what I already wrote.

I will sum up for you the best I can at this point.

Brett Favre does not have to justify his actions to Me, You the media or anyone at this point. If he says he is waiting to see how he feels and his club and fellow team mates are supporting him that is his business. If bad journalism fuels his haters and naysayers and everyone he thinks he is joke so be it. Statistically the 2nd best QB in the league last year who is 40 and already in the HOF in my eyes gives him the right to do what he wants. I would do the same thing.

Once again I bow out arguing with you as I feel it will be another revolving door argument.

What compelled him?

At his age, with a battered up body, and the season > 6 months away his default mindset would be to call it a day. And I couldn't blame him for that.

This is what happened last offseason and the offseason before, and he retired. Then he changed his mind. What i can see is: he had similar doubts, but learned not to make any early decisions. And that's not good enough either.

The criticism is a joke tbh, and I'm getting seriously fcuking bored arguing this point.

So when he went for surgery he still had no idea if he wanted to return? Please. Anyway, no point continuing this.
    I think at this point I am done debating this with you. I can see you skimmed over everything I wrote and and really didn't take in what I wrote because my only response to this would be what I already wrote.

I will sum up for you the best I can at this point.

Brett Favre does not have to justify his actions to Me, You the media or anyone at this point. If he says he is waiting to see how he feels and his club and fellow team mates are supporting him that is his business. If bad journalism fuels his haters and naysayers and everyone he thinks he is joke so be it. Statistically the 2nd best QB in the league last year who is 40 and already in the HOF in my eyes gives him the right to do what he wants. I would do the same thing.

Once again I bow out arguing with you as I feel it will be another revolving door argument.

We'll if Favre can't ever do anything wrong there wasn't much pointing starting this whole thing.

We'll if Favre can't ever do anything RIGHT there wasn't much pointing starting this whole thing.

Where did I say he can't do anything wrong? Seriously chucky you are the last person I would have expected that childish response from.:rolleyes:

Oh and I fixed your post for you just to show you how easy it is to go down the childish route.

So when he went for surgery he still had no idea if he wanted to return? Please.

I'm sure he did know, but my point is: why tell the media, when he'd just be giving them the rope to hang him with, if he had a rethink? Simple.

Where did I say he can't do anything wrong? Seriously chucky you are the last person I would have expected that childish response from.:rolleyes:

Oh and I fixed your post.

We'll if he can do whatever he wants why even bother discussing the merits of his actions.
    I'm sure he did know, but my point is: why tell the media, when he'd just be giving them the rope to hang him with, if he had a rethink? Simple.

When he went for surgery it was obvious he wanted to come back. I don't see how telling people he'll be back if fit could back fire. If he changes his mind he can always say he wasn't fit enough to come back.

We'll if he can do whatever he wants why even bother discussing the merits of his actions.

Yeah because that is what I was saying in everything I wrote. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

ESPN are ****ing terrible and Shefter fell into their hole of crap when he joined them. They basically refused to recognise what Steve Mariucci said on NFL Network last night about the whole thing being BS until one of 'their guys' heard it. Always has to be 'ESPN sources', they're running from the story now and putting it all on the Minni media.

Advertisement