Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farve has retired as per several media sources*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I'll believe it when he's not on the Vikings' Roster week 1, other than that nobody knows, not even No4 himself.

Actually i wont believe it till the 2011 SuperBowl is over, god knows if he isnt on the roster week one, and the Vikings start to struggle, ESPN will constantly berate us with stories of will he or wont he join the Vikings during the season...god this story will never end!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

So tired of this now. I'd rather hear it from the man himself - although it'll never end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

If true, and that's a big if (I don't buy it yet) then that's a shame. Love him or hate him, Favre is a hell of a guy and the NFL is a better place with him in it. I hope to see him line out against the Saints in Week 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Tavaris Jackson can be a fine starter in the NFL

Certainly no Favre but he's quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

he'll "retire" to miss training camp imo.

Week 1, he'll be throwing passes as always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,769 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Max Power1 wrote: »
    he'll "retire" to miss training camp imo.

Week 1, he'll be throwing passes as always.

Most likely this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

If true, it is indeed a sad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

No official word, 8 or 9 hours after this broke initially. Me thinks that the Vikings have told him to reconsider and once again Farve is unsure.

Mariucci says its all about his health :D I love the Episodes of Brett Favre. Would make for an epic show. No 4 is a legend and hopefully we see him back

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8197fd2f/Mariucci-everyone-calm-down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Mariucci says its all about his health :D I love the Episodes of Brett Favre. Would make for an epic show. No 4 is a legend and hopefully we see him back

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8197fd2f/Mariucci-everyone-calm-down

Yeah after hearing that I'm still banking on seeing him week 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

If true, it is indeed a sad day.
    +1

but I hope he comes back. Funny after 3-4 years of favre's "will-he wont-he" retirement sagas, we all still somewhat believe him when he says he is retiring.

I'd love if the reporter interviewing him when he said he was retiring said "yaaaaaa, suuuure ya are" and accompanied that with the rolleyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Like others, if he isn't in the Superdome throwing passes on September 9th, then I'll believe it.

It's exactly the same routine as last year..will-he, won't he...hes retired..oh, wait, he's back. Why else would he have gotten the ankle surgery.

According to Steve Mariucci there is no definite decision yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Tavaris Jackson can be a fine starter in the NFL

Certainly no Favre but he's quality

Wouldn't Rosenfels be the better bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

I don't think he will retire tbh. He still seems to have the drive for the game and once he is semi-injury free he will throwing passes again come september 9th.

He has struggled to get through the year the last few years and putting him through a training camp/pre-season would just add to the risk of him getting further injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Wouldn't Rosenfels be the better bet?

I'd imagine so.

Absolutely not, Tavaris Jackson is next man up and if Favre doesn't return, Jackson will be starter.

He'll do well too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I'm really sick of this sh1t. He'll play because he'll have 13 million reasons. That's it at the end of the day

Absolutely not, Tavaris Jackson is next man up and if Favre doesn't return, Jackson will be starter.

He'll do well too

I'm not too sure about that. Rosenfels was signed in the previous offseason well before we knew Favre was coming back. The impression given at the time was that Rosenfels would be starter, or at least be given the opportunity to compete.

Tavaris blows hot and cold so basically can't be trusted. With the Viking running game and their defense, they really just need a QB who won't make mistakes. That isn't Tavaris.

It's all irrelevant anyway, because Mr Ego will be back.

Benimar wrote: »
    Tavaris blows hot and cold so basically can't be trusted. With the Viking running game and their defense, they really just need a QB who won't make mistakes.

Reminds me of when my beloved Ravens won with Trent Dilfer.
    The only QB to win a Superbowl and to be cut afterwards afaik.

• Advertisement

Reminds me of when my beloved Ravens won with Trent Dilfer.
    The only QB to win a Superbowl and to be cut afterwards afaik.

That's who I had in mind too! If the Vikings don't have a stand-out QB, they need a Dilfer type player. Experienced, not prone to errors and able to manage the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Jay Leno make a joke during his monologue on last nights Tonight Show about Farve retiring. He said something like "Rumours of Farve retiring again? This means he will be playing this [2010] season." ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,200 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Jay Leno make a joke during his monologue on last nights Tonight Show about Farve retiring. He said something like "Rumours of Farve retiring again? This means he will be playing this [2010] season." ;)

withcoco1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Apparently it's all bull****; the story the press "leaked" -- about Favre texting his teammates -- was total bullsh!t.

Gotta love how the media create a story around Favre and then blame him for it. Fcuking idiots.

davyjose wrote: »
    Apparently it's all bull****; the story the press "leaked" -- about Favre texting his teammates -- was total bullsh!t.

Gotta love how the media create a story around Favre and then blame him for it. Fcuking idiots.

I said it last year and I will say it again. The media have as much to blame in the Favre retirement sagas than anyone. They hype it up so much and talk about it far too much. The latest being prime example. If the media had originally left it alone there wouldn't be such a huge deal. Idiots looking for stories is all.

NFL.com have his latest interview confirming the texts were bullsh1t.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81983f63/It-s-not-about-the-money?module=HP_cp2

Brett Favre is a Legend. Simples! :D

davyjose wrote: »

Makes me sick tbh. Was looking at Adam Shefters twitter last night. Post after post of snide comments. Talk about an absolute wanker. Surely the first rule of any decent journalist is to check their sources!

Makes me sick tbh. Was looking at Adam Shefters twitter last night. Post after post of snide comments. Talk about an absolute wanker. Surely the first rule of any decent journalist is to check their sources!

Schefter has gone down hill big time. I un followed him on twitter. This sums him up:
    Adam Schefter Adam_Schefter

RT @OGOchoCinco: @terrellowens How come Favre isnt a attention whore but we get hell for having fun but he makes spectacle about coming back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

The issue with Favre is a simple one, and there must be a serious intelligence deficiency in the American media not to get this: If Favre can play, he will play. That's it. Nothing more or less. No great mystery. He's not holding the Vikes fans over a barrel, and he's not toying with Childress. He's just quietly waiting and seeing.

IMO Childress is handling it brilliantly: if Favre can't play then Minnesota are stuck with what they've got either way ... no better off than if they were to give Favre an Ultimatum (which some idiot hacks are calling for). On the other hand if Favre can play, they've got one of the best QB's of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

You guys are delluded if you think Favre doesn't love the attention. That tweet is right, he's the same as Ocho and TO but gets far less abuse.

• Advertisement

I used to like him on NFLN. Can't say I've seen/heard alot of him lately but I may very well do the same as main reason I used twitter is as another outlet to follow NFL.

This that particularly got me yesterday though
    reggie_bush Brett Favre supposed to make 13 mil this year. Enough said! We'll see him September 9th in the Superdome!

Like Bush is one to be making such comments :rolleyes:

Advertisement