Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Larry Murphy (Read mod note on post 1 before posting)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

rovert wrote: »
    Total incitement to hatred job by the media, well done lads.

So his own actions haved nothing to do with him being hated?

What planet do you live on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

For once I support the Media for informing the public on this monsters welfare, his whereabouts and his capabilities.

Nail on head.

I'm not one to jump aboard a media bandwagon, I'm usually one of the first to condemn it but in this case they have every right to hound him. This guy will reoffend (if he doesn't wind up dead).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

ben bedlam wrote: »
    The media circus around Larry Murphy is crazy. He has served every day he was supposed to under the requirements of the law and should now be entitled to put his life back together.

Legally yes but morally no way in hell. That girls life was ruined she will never get over it so why should he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rilester

rebelmomma wrote: »
    Rilester - grow up. Fianna Fail and their actions are for another post in another thread.

That woman was held down and raped and begged for him to kill her. It is is no way the same as FF's **** ups in this country (which I agree were major but they cannot be used to justify Larry Murphys treatment in anyway)
    <snip>
    Mod note:
    Stop trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I heard his brother on the radio yesterday and then saw him on the news last night.

From the radio I assumed he was a much older man from his voice, but when I saw him he only looked mid thirties.

While listening/watching him I noticed he only ever referred to him as "Larry Murphy". He never once called him "Larry", or "My brother", always "Larry Murphy". I suppose it was a defence tactic, to try to distance himself from Larry Murphy.

My heart really went out to him, because he has a life sentence now aswell. He is Larry Murphy's brother, and will forever be associated with him. Meanwhile Larry will swan off to Alicante or somewhere and start a new life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

rilester wrote: »
    <snip>

you are some twat, thats not even funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭rebelmomma

Larry Murphy should be made a free man of Dublin, he should then enter politics, join FF and then he be with all the other rapists of the country!!! and we would all know where he is!!!

Frankie Boyle you ain't Rilester. Sick humour might work on some threads but not here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

I'm seriously fcuking worried about the whole pitchfork and torches lynch mob hysteria out there. People are acting like crazies and it's only a matter of time before something goes drastically wrong. The tabliod media have a lot to answer for.

I really couln't give a rats ass about a low life like Murphy but seriouls people it's like an episode of the Simpsons at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rilester

Frankie Boyle you ain't Rilester. Sick humour might work on some threads but not here.
    Go back to cork you langer!!! I was serious about larry

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭didds

um, Hi mods, was there not another 5 pages of content on this thread this morning? Didnt see anything written here worth that kind of pruning.. Whats up? People are just repeating arguements already made now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭ben bedlam

The whole witch hunt against Larry Murphy is reminding me of one of the angry mobs from The Simpsons

I'm seriously fcuking worried about the whole pitchfork and torches lynch mob hysteria out there. People are acting like crazies and it's only a matter of time before something goes drastically wrong. The tabliod media have a lot to answer for.

I really couln't give a rats ass about a low life like Murphy but seriouls people it's like an episode of the Simpsons at the moment.

I think Murphy himself is the only one with alot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

im not in a mob mentality about him, im just stating the obvious fact the man is a pure evil scumbag, deserves to be killed, doesnt deserve one minute of peace in the rest of his life for what he done

hes a full blown danger to the public, we should know where he is at all times, the law system in our country has failed us, he should be hounded for life. SCUM BAG!

he made that womans life hell, she wont get her life back, why should he?

Edit - Im actually disgusted there are people defending him, its shocking to be honest.

Go back to cork you langer!!! I was serious about larry

right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

I think Murphy himself is the only one with alot to answer for.

Sure thing.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭didds

I think we should concentrate on creating something positive out of this. How do we now go about getting the legislation changed so that we have an active sex offenders register following the American model and that those who are released and deemed to be a future threat are gps tagged?
    Now is the time to have those changes made as the public is concentrating on the issues.
    The women and children of the country will be a damned sight safer...
    I'm not a Fine Gael or any other party supporter as such, but I spoke to Billy Timmins last night. He's a local TD and despite being Fine Gael ( :) ) has a proactive approach to things. Hes already on the case (last year) for this tagging system to be implemented.
    Think about it, if Murphy had been tagged, non of this fear would be in the country. People are angry because they're afraid.
    Take away that unknown ( the offenders location and movements) and there is no longer as serious a percieved threat.
    No Threat, no hysteria, just a pissed off rapist or child molester who cant get their fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

Mods, can we have a Larry Murphy forum .... please?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

syklops wrote: »
    Meanwhile Larry will swan off to Alicante or somewhere and start a new life.

Everyone keeps saying this, but the guy has kids, one he has never seen.

He might wish to have some sort of regular contact with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,983 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The namby-pamby justice system in Ireland needs a radical overhaul.

OutlawPete wrote: »

One of the many reasons I feel for his wife (not sure if that is ex or not). Choosing whether or not to allow them into his life would be a very hard decision to make either way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

So you don't give a fcuk that there is a potential serial killer walking the streets a free man today . Thats your business but don't be so arrogant to dismiss other people's fears. I know of a few women I have spoken with who are genuinely upset and scared that this man is out there somewhere. The chances are they will never encounter this animal but I imagine the girl he stalked, raped and attempted to murder was living her life never thinking that she would meet a man like this.

Now go back to watching the Simpsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Heard she had taken the kids into hiding under a government agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

I know of a few women I have spoken with who are genuinely upset and scared that this man is out there somewhere.

Tell them to stop reading the papers and watching TV3. It'll help them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Pete

Who in their right mind would let this animal within an asses roar of their kids.

The kids are better off if they never know he existed. If he cared about his family he wouldn't be raping and attempting to kill a woman.

I say this baring in mind he has never sort counselling or showed remorse for what he has done.

Kasabian wrote: »
    So you don't give a fcuk that there is a potential serial killer walking the streets a free man today . Thats your business but don't be so arrogant to dismiss other people's fears. I know of a few women I have spoken with who are genuinely upset and scared that this man is out there somewhere. The chances are they will never encounter this animal but I imagine the girl he stalked, raped and attempted to murder was living her life never thinking that she would meet a man like this.

Now go back to watching the Simpsons.

He could have been anywhere in Ireland last night. I know I was home alone last night with my kids as my hubbie was away working. I locked all the doors. It was a bit of an over exageration I know but couldn't imagine how the people of Baltinglass felt last night and his victim?? can't even begin to imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Who in their right mind would let this animal within an asses roar of their kids.

The kids are better off if they never know he existed. If he cared about his family he wouldn't be raping and attempting to kill a woman.

That may very well be.

However, if he puts in an application for contact with his kids, it can't just be turned down flat.

I would think that he will be entitled to supervised visits at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Don't you lock the bloody doors every night?

Pete

I say this baring in mind he has never sort counselling or showed remorse for what he has done.

I agree completly but he knows the system - he is entiled to see them. if she does a runner with them she would end up in ****. another example of our 'excellent' legal system!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Edit - Im actually disgusted there are people defending him, its shocking to be honest.

Saying that the media whipping up hysteria is wrong, is not the same as defending Murphy or his actions. Monitoring him should be left up to the Gardai, simple as that.

The frenzied attention this is being shown isn't going to achieve anything.. it's not going to get him locked up again. It's only going to eat up the Gardai's time and endanger other people. What if a raging mob decides to attack a premises they wrongly believe Murphy to be staying in?

I don't really care one way or another.. the thing that pisses me off more than anything is hearing newspaper columnists being interviewed and feigning concern for the public. They don't care one fcuking bit about the public, and are making a fortune out of selling fear to women all over the country. If he was to rape again, they'd see it as overtime

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Unfortunatly, save for small sections of the 2001 Act, there is little or nothing that can be done now that Larry Murphy has served his legal sentence. The state can try to monitor him, by screening his activities, and limiting the extent of his activities, if they are seen as involving the offender re-offending. Other then that, there is nothing they can do. In the eyes of the law, Murphy has paid the price for what he did in February 2000. On a moral scale, a different picture is painted, as Murphy's sentence was a pittance, for the brutal rape and attempted murder of a woman.

I am also conscious of the mob mentality, which could have a great impact on the public mind and public actions. Im sure there are areas in Baltinglass which will be innundated with crowds of concerned parents etc, who will hold up placards etc and seek to identify Murphy as residing in a particular place. Again, like the "Concerned Parents Against Drugs", groups like this have become a haven for extreme provos, and the the smatterings of Hitler Youth, who are hell bent on trying people in a Kangaroo Court, and executing a sentence, which is not sanctioned by any legislation, or constitution.

Murphy is an evil, evil man. It is an indictment of our penal system that he is out. He has rejected attempts to rehabilitate him, and has rejected to accept responsibility, even though he is a rapist and attempted murderer. Letting him out for "Good Behaviour" (simpliciter) is not acceptable. Any rehabilitative element has been thrown out the window, and all Murphy has recieved is the punishment, which is NOT what prison can be about for Sex Offenders.

It goes to show, we require a much larger prison, which can ensure that any criminal legislation passed can reflect the severity of the crime, and just sentences can be handed down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement