Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Larry Murphy (Read mod note on post 1 before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

smokedeels wrote: »
    you want your daughter to grow up in a Country without civil liberties?

You have the civil liberty not to be a violent sex offender.
    fcukthat wrote: »
    By the way, Larry Murphy raped a women in her late 20's, he's not a paedophile!

What the hell has that got to do with anything? Perhaps you should read what you are responding to properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

LOL at this.....like it makes him a better person? FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

rebelmomma wrote: »
    Do you not think it is up to a country to protect it's citizens from known criminals?

If i'm a Shopkeeper, for instance, should I have the right to view a list of convicted armed robbers living in the area surrounding my shop?

My livelihood and potentially my life are on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

This thread is bloody hilarious :D
    I haven't read all of it, but so far it's funnier than the "you laugh you loose" thread..

I've lost so many times..
    Some of you people really will believe anything the media tells you :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

We all know that the system has failed in this case but as a nation we have to say enough is enough and if that means a mob mentality then so be it. At least the mob is in the right.

1850 715 815.

Quick, only have 33 minutes to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭rebelmomma

This is solely about Larry Murphy. Would a thread about rapists in general have been going like this last week?

If you are going to sleep uneasy until your 5 year old daughter's children can have access to a website then you will end up in psychiatric care I would think.

Using insults to make your points .. very good.
    I don't think there is a parent in Ireland who can say they don't care about sex offenders in their community.

So you think any other rapist getting out jail yesterday would generate as much publicity as Larry Murphy has? It would be interesting how many other rapists were freed in the last week? Where there cars camped outside waiting to get a snap of them? No and that is the sad fact of the whole thing. Larry Murphy is the straw that broke the camels back. I hope the controversy stirred up by his sentencing, lack of remorse and release will kickstart a change in the legal system in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Lads there is serious money to be made out of this, and i ant missing the boat.

Women of Ireland:

Larry Murphy proof your house. Now

Larry Muprhy has been released from prison and has unknown powers.

There is only one known way of guarding against this.

http://www.spec-net.com.au/press/0107/images/rol100107_img01.jpg

Only €10,000 per window. €15,000 per door. Get it now, before he gets you.

***Not tested on Larry Murphy

prinz wrote: »
    You have the civil liberty not to be a violent sex offender.

"Civil liberties are rights and freedoms that protect an individual from the state. Civil liberties set limits on government so that its members cannot abuse their power and interfere unduly with the lives of private citizens."

What you said doesn't make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If he comes to my home town I wont be waiting for the Garda to do anything Ill take affirmatave action and so will my neighbours.

No you won't.

If i'm a Shopkeeper, for instance, should I have the right to view a list of convicted armed robbers living in the area surrounding my shop?

My livelihood and potentially my life are on the line.

If you are stupid enough to commit a crime, you are caught, you are punished and you serve your time. They **** yeah you should be named and shamed. If you take counselling they let that be stated. If you show absolutely no remorse and refuse counselling that should be stated too.

If some dope four doors up from me has convictions for breaking and entering I want to know, if my childs friend from school has a father convicted of shoplifting I sure as **** don't want her going over there for a play date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭FastFuse

lynski wrote: »
    As for LM's other alleged activities, an interesting article in the Sunday Times last week turned the commonly held perceptions of him as a practiced, competent and confident rapist/kidnapper/killer on their heads.
    He left her car with finger prints and other evidence and did not go back afterwards, he had no 'equipment' with him; he improvised, he told her personal details, he did not even change his clothes; never mind destroy them, he did not shower or try to clean up in any way.
    Think about Joe O'Reilly, a one time killer and the care he took to escape detection, LM seems like an amateur by comparison.
    Despite 10 years, many police minds and hours, there is no link to him in any of these cases.
    The differences between Murphy and O'Reilly are many. It's also worth noting that by being disturbed by the two men out hunting, Murphy's whole routine was interrupted. Theis could possibly point to why there was no attempted cover up of the evidence that was left.

Another reason could be; Murphy, in carrying out this act, displayed the mind of a sexual deviant and twisted killer. One can but struggle to understand the pleasure he derives from it and, as such the state of mind he is in. Hardly surprising his actions afterwards are not those of a rational, or straight thinking person.

Also, I find it futile to point out that people should be more worried about others. Surely, it is prudent to be equally as worried and to be alert and vigilant.

what is that phone number for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

what is that phone number for?

Joe Duffy

He and his producers haven't been discussing this issue though this week

If you are stupid enough to commit a crime, you are caught, you are punished and you serve your time. They **** yeah you should be named and shamed. If you take counselling they let that be stated. If you show absolutely no remorse and refuse counselling that should be stated too.

If some dope four doors up from me has convictions for breaking and entering I want to know, if my childs friend from school has a father convicted of shoplifting I sure as **** don't want her going over there for a play date.

So, you want the goverment to list the names and personal details of all convicted criminals on a public website?

Sure why not list everyone in the country on the website?

Would you submit to this?

These people have, as you say above "served their time", like it or not, they're now free citizens, no different from you.

So, you want the goverment to list the names and personal details of all convicted criminals on a public website?

Smoke - I don't think it is unreasonable for anyone to know if there are convicted Sex Offenders in their midst. It has been done In the US and soon to be rolled out in the UK.

You asked my opionion about other crimes and I do think if you are convicted of a crime then, it should be recorded in such a way as to protect the public. HOWEVER, I can't see that this will ever happen do you? So really what ifs are a bit stupid. Let's discuss what we are here to discuss. Larry Murphy.

WE NEED PROPER ACCESS TO THE SEX OFFENDERS REGISTER!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

2 words...

Phone Book...

These people have, as you say above "served their time", like it or not, they're now free citizens, no different from you.

BTW I think there is such a list - an electoral register if I am not mistaken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Whats wrong with listing the names? If you don't commit a crime your name won't be there. Its usually the same scumbags up every month in court anyway adding to the number of convictions they already have

Whats wrong with listing the names? If you don't commit a crime your name won't be there. Its usually the same scumbags up every month in court anyway adding to the number of convictions they already have

I know two local papers in rural areas of Leinster that list every courtcase and the outcome in them on a weekly basis. If they are stupid enough to commit a crime then tough **** if there names are in the paper. Name and shame. Lets protect the victims not the criminals

I know two local papers in rural areas of Leinster that list every courtcase and the outcome in them on a weekly basis. If they are stupid enough to commit a crime then tough **** if there names are in the paper. Name and shame. Lets protect the victims not the criminals

Yes I love seeing who didnt Pay their television Licenses last year, they should be thrown in Jail.
    Scumbags the lot of them.

• Advertisement

whycliff wrote: »
    Yes I love seeing who didnt Pay their television Licenses last year, they should be thrown in Jail.
    Scumbags the lot of them.

There are those cases but there are also more serious ones. Good point though - you can be named and shamed for not paying your tv licence but you don't if you rape someone.. weird eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I don't think his house should be named on a website, but I would support him being microchipped. Would be the safest option and would seriously lessen the chances of the man re-offending IMO.

remember this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/849098.stm

Would you want the goverment to manage the "name and shame" campaign, contract it out to a 3rd party or leave it to the newspapers?

All potentially inept.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Miss Dymph

Everyone here is getting very heated and while its understandable, both sides of the argument have to sit back and look properly at the facts. We all have loved ones for whom we would fight tooth and nail to keep safe. We also all have a recently released rapist in our midst. Now although, yes indeed he did serve 10 years of his sentence and in the eyes of the law, justice has been done, for those of us who fear for our loved ones or indeed ourselves, this so-called justice will never be enough. There are scores and scores of rapists in Ireland and we pass these people everyday but what makes this man a cause for fear in our society, is that he stalked his victim for a full month before he raped her without ever making an apology to the family or to the victim. Everyone is entitled to a second chance but sometimes you just dont deserve one.

Miss Dymph wrote: »
    Everyone here is getting very heated and while its understandable, both sides of the argument have to sit back and look properly at the facts. We all have loved ones for whom we would fight tooth and nail to keep safe. We also all have a recently released rapist in our midst. Now although, yes indeed he did serve 10 years of his sentence and in the eyes of the law, justice has been done, for those of us who fear for our loved ones or indeed ourselves, this so-called justice will never be enough. There are scores and scores of rapists in Ireland and we pass these people everyday but what makes this man a cause for fear in our society, is that he stalked his victim for a full month before he raped her without ever making an apology to the family or to the victim. Everyone is entitled to a second chance but sometimes you just dont deserve one.

Your down in Tramore Miss, do you feel any less safe this morning?

Do you feel threatened?

I think the man is scum of the earth but this frenzy does no one any good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You asked my opionion about other crimes and I do think if you are convicted of a crime then, it should be recorded in such a way as to protect the public.

I was in court as I failed to pay my TV licence.
    Guess you wouldn't like me as a neighbour, I'm scum :(

But I ended up in the court report of the local paper :D

I don't think there is a need to name me and every other person involved in stupid small things on a website.

But it seems you want everyone listed.
    Such a thing already exists, it's the court report of your local paper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

You asked my opionion about other crimes and I do think if you are convicted of a crime then, it should be recorded in such a way as to protect the public.

There are plenty of crimes you could commit that do not in any way make you a 'danger to the public'. Laws exist for reasons other than protecting the public I can assure you.

Because every crime has to have a 'victim'?

Miss Dymph wrote: »
    Everyone is entitled to a second chance but sometimes you just dont deserve one.

Nope, everyone does. It's the law.

remember this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/849098.stm

Would you want the goverment to manage the "name and shame" campaign, contract it out to a 3rd party or leave it to the newspapers?

All potentially inept.

A government programme.. seriously, Irish papers wouldn't get away with publishing accusing pictures of alledged sex offenders.. hell they barely get away with publishing pictures of convicted ones.

Let it be noted that since this incident the british government will be publishing info of sex offenders.

I don't agree with anyone killing anyone, I can only agree that people have a right to be protected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Miss Dymph

whycliff wrote: »
    Your down in Tramore Miss, do you feel any less safe this morning?

Do you feel threatened?

I think the man is scum of the earth but this frenzy does no one any good...

I think everyone regardless of where they live has a right to feel threatened when an unrepentant rapist is released into society in their country. I attend college in Carlow from September to June and so yes, i do feel threatened and i think that if you dont feel threatened and dont have your wits about you because of feeling threatened then you become a prime target for anyone looking to violate your rights as a person. As i said i believe in second chances but i also think this 'frenzy' as you put it is justified as Larry Murphy has never apologised for his actions and was merely put in a building with other people for 10 years and was then allowed back out into the world again with still no regret for the person/people who's lives he has destroyed forever. So 'frenzy' away because this man genuinely doesnt deserve our leniency..he never showed any.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement