Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PlayTV Discussion (reasonable discussion ONLY!)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

Here you go. remember pass it along

A retweeted link on twitter should spread well, depending upon who's following who etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The wording must be up to the BAI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I think the wording is agreed between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

they simply said that it was up to TV3 when the broadct went out. all the BAI was obliged to do was to get them to broadcast it at the same time of the day as the show. they don't tell them what day it goes out.

TV and radio stations that get these complaints will often give an apology at a time of day when it doesn't coincide with something important.

For example in this case we see TV3 broadcast the apology during a movie on Friday night. However the BAI could turn around and say that the shows in question went out on Tuesday night and should be broadcast at this time, and that 3 individual apologies should air. Of course for TV3 this would mean that the apology would air after Vincent Brown Tonight and TV3 are trying to avoid any notice of these issues. Note that no broadcast news ever publishes details of these complaints yet the press will often publish such complaints that are upheld.

In Canada these type of annoucements must also be made during prime time when people might actually give a toss.

Elmo wrote: »
    TV and radio stations that get these complaints will often give an apology at a time of day when it doesn't coincide with something important.

For example in this case we see TV3 broadcast the apology during a movie on Friday night.
    I would have thought that slipping an apology announcement into a movie, in the way they did, was tantamount to broadcasting the judgement in prime time.
    However the BAI could turn around and say that the shows in question went out on Tuesday night and should be broadcast at this time, and that 3 individual apologies should air. Of course for TV3 this would mean that the apology would air after Vincent Brown Tonight and TV3 are trying to avoid any notice of these issues. Note that no broadcast news ever publishes details of these complaints yet the press will often publish such complaints that are upheld.
    They could have waited until 12:30 when the attentive audience figures could be expected to be lower between programs.
    Yes! Some shows at weekends did start at about 12:30.

~~~

....Off topic!
    Sorry.

Auld-Yin wrote: »
    I would have thought that slipping an apology announcement into a movie, in the way they did, was tantamount to broadcasting the judgement in prime time.

How many repeats of Die Hard can we take? I know RTÉ Two had it on a while back and it got something like 250,000 viewers, after it had been repeat a dozen times on Sky 1 and Sky 2. :eek:

Friday Night at 12am isn't tantamount to Prime Time. We would have to see the audience figures for the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BMollie

How many repeats of Die Hard can we take? I know RTÉ Two had it on a while back and it got something like 250,000 viewers, after it had been repeat a dozen times on Sky 1 and Sky 2. :eek:

Friday Night at 12am isn't tantamount to Prime Time. We would have to see the audience figures for the movie.

Die Hard does have a great following amongst movie buffs..even if they record it they like to see it live, again, and again. And they did put the 'comment' in during the break before ads started.
    I think the print media should have used it as a short snipit..
    However, as a suggestion was made, I think it should go on twitter or facebook.
    Turned into Brainbox for last 10 mins this morning...and films with numbers were required....most were won but it didn't specify that the no. could be within a word... which transpired to be the case. Well that's another day.......

BMollie wrote: »
    Die Hard does have a great following amongst movie buffs.

I agree but at 11:30pm? Remember RTÉ 2 broadcast it at 9pm on a Thursday evening, hence the audience that is why they call it Prime Time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

I agree but at 11:30pm? Remember RTÉ 2 broadcast it at 9pm on a Thursday evening, hence the audience that is why they call it Prime Time.

Just after reading your rant about Irish Tv. Buy a dictionary

Just after reading your rant about Irish Tv. Buy a dictionary

Ah! why bother when I have you to correct me? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 imissplaytv

Can't believe ye all. So this is the reason my favourite tv programme is off air. it's all down to ye lot. I loved it and i think ye did too. I miss the Lauren and Aoife and of course i miss JG (oh and the crazy redhead too, can't remember her name now though) I wondered where all the complainants came from and now i know after reading this thread. I miss the regular callers sure they were like family to me. Oh Mary and her doing so well out of it. Bet shes not too happy with ye either. Is there any chance ye might all get together and look to get it back on. There is three of us older ladies that got together two or three times every week to watch it. We use to have sleep overs in each others houses and drink a few whiskeys before we'd start ringing in,ah sure we had great times, our phone bill were crazy but we had nothing much else to do with our pensions, bingo is no good anymore when ya cant smoke, so we looked forward to Playtv. If ye decide to have a go at getting it back on, count the three of us in to support ye all the way. Think about it anyway cos as im sure ye know, ye are powerful people.

Can't believe ye all. So this is the reason my favourite tv programme is off air. it's all down to ye lot. I loved it and i think ye did too. I miss the Lauren and Aoife and of course i miss JG (oh and the crazy redhead too, can't remember her name now though) I wondered where all the complainants came from and now i know after reading this thread. I miss the regular callers sure they were like family to me. Oh Mary and her doing so well out of it. Bet shes not too happy with ye either. Is there any chance ye might all get together and look to get it back on. There is three of us older ladies that got together two or three times every week to watch it. We use to have sleep overs in each others houses and drink a few whiskeys before we'd start ringing in,ah sure we had great times, our phone bill were crazy but we had nothing much else to do with our pensions, bingo is no good anymore when ya cant smoke, so we looked forward to Playtv. If ye decide to have a go at getting it back on, count the three of us in to support ye all the way. Think about it anyway cos as im sure ye know, ye are powerful people.

Not sure how to take this, sarcasm irony? Ye should organize outdoor Bingo during the summer months so ye can smoke. We wouldn't mind the show continuing if it was fair.

Damn new dictionary got me thinking sarcasm was irony. :confused:

Re the above's message - get the feeling you work in TV3 or your names might have an Eileen or Peter ring to them....(excuse the pun) !!!

If you are either of these two individuals, you will know what i'm talking about, you sure would want it back on, as you made a small fortune on poor gullible people!

Great the sun in out, am going to plant a few plants now!!! :mad::mad::mad:

TV3 are still hurting from our win some 3 months ago. Their plants are still busy posting crap.

• Advertisement

Can't believe ye all. So this is the reason...

...ye are powerful people.

116744.jpg

Paranoia springs to mind!!!!!

Is that you Maureen? Or even David?

Paranoia springs to mind!!!!!

See this thread is just like Play TV.

Haddockman wrote: »
    Is that you Maureen? Or even David?

No, not Maureen or David even, guess again Bond!!!

You're good, no doubt about it.:D

• Advertisement

I rest my case.

Style reminds me of IGUY (T*)

[...although there could be another whose name I can't recall at this time.]

All TV3 sympathisers in any event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

I miss all the good moments on playtv :o

How long is a moment?

How long is a moment?
    ;) :eek:

Style reminds me of IGUY (T*)

[...although there could be another whose name I can't recall at this time.]

Bond is good, damn it!!

But Auld-yin you're in a league of your own!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

How long is a moment?

About as long as a piece of string! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I hate to admit it but there are still some nights when I come in from a night out and I have a momentary urge to "see what madness is on Play TV tonight" and then remember with a slight touch of melancholy that we got rid of it ;)

Probably because it was around this time of year that it started first, wasn't it?

Ironically, their website is still up and has no mention of the aforementioned events:
    http://www.playtvireland.com/

EDIT: In other news, when did James Bond become Captain Haddock? :D

About a month ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

i miss play tv nothing for me to watch now when i cant sleep

The stuff that replaced it is equally mind numbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,539 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

carolluke1 wrote: »

l_c6a68832cdba42b9b00b96b8bdf579ed.jpg

"Please don't shoot me.....I can't explain the cat on the bus questions either!"

Just to say, what a team we still are. :):P:p

Well just a mention on this site that was so active and now a bit lonely. but on it...JUSTICE WAS DONE....

And watching a bit of Brainbox the other night.. did hear a familiar voice, and name from about 25miles north of Dublin..beginning with a C.
    And I just laughed.......really the song say's it very well......"When will they ever Learn".

Triangle Roberto...How's the redhead? Of course you won't be telling us about her!!! and where's JG gone???? he should join Miriam 0'Callaghan and be the co-host on Primetime, (well he would be well informed on a certain topic) so maybe she might even have him on as a Guest...oh i'd love that interview....he could tell the public how he became so knowledgable about a certain colour,(although he might be a be pearly white in that area), (ha ha), an expert in deep freezing, what he puts on his baps, and of course his expertise in wildlife!!!

Jeepers that would make a good show.

They can give Aoife a guest host on Tonight with Vincent Browne now that he is on holidays.

dont know if anyone found some Play TV south Africa but here is some contained in Derval Mellets latest Show Reel.

http://vimeo.com/12531909

Mo mention of the fact that two of the three intermedia shows featured in the showreel have been cancelled. playtv ireland and canada.

It has been impossible to find any footage of the South African show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Starstreak

It has been impossible to find any footage of the South African show.
    Why do you want footage? It seems to be the same production company broadcasting the same stuff from the UK. Recently a local version has come out, which they show on e-TV (free terrestrial channel).

picture.php?albumid=9&pictureid=127

• Advertisement

http://bblounge.co.za/picture.php?albumid=9&pictureid=117

Here's another from Brainbox (SA).

What I would like to know is how you got them to stop (:D)

Starstreak wrote: »
    Why do you want footage? It seems to be the same production company broadcasting the same stuff from the UK. Recently a local version has come out, which they show on e-TV (free terrestrial channel).

picture.php?albumid=9&pictureid=127
    For history. There are thousands of clips from almost every country of the various Telemedia presentations (PlayTV, CallTV & Gametime etc), but no clips from .za. Why?

Telemedia broadcast from Hungary.
    http://bblounge.co.za/picture.php?albumid=9&pictureid=117

Here's another from Brainbox (SA).

What I would like to know is how you got them to stop (:D)

Stopping them was just a matter of complaining regularly and with justification.

For history. There are thousands of clips from almost every country of the various Telemedia presentations (PlayTV, CallTV & Gametime etc), but no clips from .za. Why?

Telemedia broadcast from Hungary.

Stopping them was just a matter of complaining regularly and with justification.
    Why, you ask.

Well, firstly, getting the clips is not so easy. The official PVR's don't allow you to transfer media. Secondly, people don't get too excited about the legality of these shows. Consumer law is currently quite weak (until October 2010 at least). The government bodies that would review the broadcasts would not be too interested either. There are far too many more important violations and corruption going on in all corners of our society for them to worry about a TV show.

I did have some clips somewhere. Let me see if I can find them. With the recent introduction of uncapped ADSL in the country, I don't have to worry too much about bandwidth upload. Maybe if you can let me know what types of show or by which company, I can narrow choices down a bit?

...I did have some clips somewhere. Let me see if I can find them. With the recent introduction of uncapped ADSL in the country, I don't have to worry too much about bandwidth upload. Maybe if you can let me know what types of show or by which company, I can narrow choices down a bit?

Thankyou. Your efforts would be much appreciated.
    Briefly; the company is Telemedia. See www.calltv.com or search for 'Telemedia InteracTv' in Youtube.
    The popular name for the program is 'CallTV'. Our version was 'PlayTV': www.playtvireland.com is still available.
    Your version is 'Gametime' (www.calltv.com/za/gametime) which was, I think, on SABC before moving to e.TV

At last the CEO of TV3 is recognizing public outrage, the bad press and the illigitmate workings of PlayTV as a reason for dropping the show from TV3.
    “I make no apologies around it,” McRedmond insists. “But there were things that should have been done better.”

So why axe it? “Because it was coming under fire from the regulator and there was a lot of negative press, and viewing was falling off as a result. It wasn’t worth it.

“But you know what? It was an essential part of getting us through the recession.”

Fair enough.

I don't know is that fair enough, I suppose if I loose my job I can go out and rob people ...... Fair Enough?

"I make no apologies around it,” McRedmond insists. “But there were things that should have been done better.”

So why axe it? “Because it was coming under fire from the regulator and there was a lot of negative press, and viewing was falling off as a result. It wasn’t worth it."

“But you know what? It was an essential part of getting us through the recession.”
    Where did that come from?

I wonder what their accounts will reveal.

• Advertisement

The accounts are due at the companies office within 28 days from the 30th of September.

They should make very interesting reading.

The Friday Interview with Ciaran Hancock

As you can see TV3 as a group had a profit of €2million for 2009 down from €22million in 2008. Both RTÉ and TV3 expect to return to better levels of profitability for 2010. TV3 also plans to invest €15million into HD to be launched in 2012, development begins in 2011. RTÉ TWO HD LIGHT should be on DTT by 2011.

TV3 also seem to believe that the increase in the number of advertisements will help them towards the end of 2010 and into 2011.

The full accounts will be worth paying the €2.50 to read.

The full accounts will be worth paying the €2.50 to read.

AFAIK 3e still are under a different company, so if you are planning to take a look make sure you search for 3e or Channel 6 just in case.

Yes indeed. Channel 6 is still an active company.
    Type Company
    Number 405090
    Name CHANNEL 6 BROADCASTING LIMITED
    Address RIVERSIDE ONE
    SIR JOHN ROGERSON'S QUAY
    DUBLIN 2
    Registered 13/07/2005
    Status Normal

Effective date: 13/07/2005
    Last AR Date 30/09/2009
    Next AR Date 30/09/2010
    Last Accounts to Date 31/12/2008

I am only really interested in reading about the play tv revenues of the mothership company. :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement