Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PlayTV Discussion (reasonable discussion ONLY!)

1573574575576577579»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

Starstreak wrote: »
    Why do you want footage? It seems to be the same production company broadcasting the same stuff from the UK. Recently a local version has come out, which they show on e-TV (free terrestrial channel).

picture.php?albumid=9&pictureid=127
    For history. There are thousands of clips from almost every country of the various Telemedia presentations (PlayTV, CallTV & Gametime etc), but no clips from .za. Why?

Telemedia broadcast from Hungary.
    http://bblounge.co.za/picture.php?albumid=9&pictureid=117

Here's another from Brainbox (SA).

What I would like to know is how you got them to stop (:D)

Stopping them was just a matter of complaining regularly and with justification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Starstreak

Auld-Yin wrote: »
    For history. There are thousands of clips from almost every country of the various Telemedia presentations (PlayTV, CallTV & Gametime etc), but no clips from .za. Why?

Telemedia broadcast from Hungary.

Stopping them was just a matter of complaining regularly and with justification.
    Why, you ask.

Well, firstly, getting the clips is not so easy. The official PVR's don't allow you to transfer media. Secondly, people don't get too excited about the legality of these shows. Consumer law is currently quite weak (until October 2010 at least). The government bodies that would review the broadcasts would not be too interested either. There are far too many more important violations and corruption going on in all corners of our society for them to worry about a TV show.

I did have some clips somewhere. Let me see if I can find them. With the recent introduction of uncapped ADSL in the country, I don't have to worry too much about bandwidth upload. Maybe if you can let me know what types of show or by which company, I can narrow choices down a bit?

...I did have some clips somewhere. Let me see if I can find them. With the recent introduction of uncapped ADSL in the country, I don't have to worry too much about bandwidth upload. Maybe if you can let me know what types of show or by which company, I can narrow choices down a bit?

Thankyou. Your efforts would be much appreciated.
    Briefly; the company is Telemedia. See www.calltv.com or search for 'Telemedia InteracTv' in Youtube.
    The popular name for the program is 'CallTV'. Our version was 'PlayTV': www.playtvireland.com is still available.
    Your version is 'Gametime' (www.calltv.com/za/gametime) which was, I think, on SABC before moving to e.TV

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

At last the CEO of TV3 is recognizing public outrage, the bad press and the illigitmate workings of PlayTV as a reason for dropping the show from TV3.
    “I make no apologies around it,” McRedmond insists. “But there were things that should have been done better.”

So why axe it? “Because it was coming under fire from the regulator and there was a lot of negative press, and viewing was falling off as a result. It wasn’t worth it.

“But you know what? It was an essential part of getting us through the recession.”

Fair enough.

I don't know is that fair enough, I suppose if I loose my job I can go out and rob people ...... Fair Enough?

Elmo wrote: »
    "I make no apologies around it,” McRedmond insists. “But there were things that should have been done better.”

So why axe it? “Because it was coming under fire from the regulator and there was a lot of negative press, and viewing was falling off as a result. It wasn’t worth it."

“But you know what? It was an essential part of getting us through the recession.”
    Where did that come from?

I wonder what their accounts will reveal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The accounts are due at the companies office within 28 days from the 30th of September.

They should make very interesting reading.

The Friday Interview with Ciaran Hancock

As you can see TV3 as a group had a profit of €2million for 2009 down from €22million in 2008. Both RTÉ and TV3 expect to return to better levels of profitability for 2010. TV3 also plans to invest €15million into HD to be launched in 2012, development begins in 2011. RTÉ TWO HD LIGHT should be on DTT by 2011.

TV3 also seem to believe that the increase in the number of advertisements will help them towards the end of 2010 and into 2011.

The full accounts will be worth paying the €2.50 to read.

Haddockman wrote: »
    The full accounts will be worth paying the €2.50 to read.

AFAIK 3e still are under a different company, so if you are planning to take a look make sure you search for 3e or Channel 6 just in case.

Yes indeed. Channel 6 is still an active company.
    Type Company
    Number 405090
    Name CHANNEL 6 BROADCASTING LIMITED
    Address RIVERSIDE ONE
    SIR JOHN ROGERSON'S QUAY
    DUBLIN 2
    Registered 13/07/2005
    Status Normal

Effective date: 13/07/2005
    Last AR Date 30/09/2009
    Next AR Date 30/09/2010
    Last Accounts to Date 31/12/2008

I am only really interested in reading about the play tv revenues of the mothership company. :D

• Advertisement

Haddockman wrote: »
    I am only really interested in reading about the play tv revenues of the mothership company. :D

They won't be that detailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,870 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Did I hear correctly earlier on the news that the TV3 owners have put in a bid for the EBS building society? If I did then the mind boggles.

Yes. They have bid for EBS.

Wow! Must ask them for a morgage of XXLIIC 7X^63.27

Wow! Must ask them for a morgage of XXLIIC 7X^63.27

In 2006 TV3 was bought for €260million, 50% was provided by their owners an equity group called Doughty Hanson while they took a loan out for €130million from Anglo Irish. In 2009 they wrote down the value of TV3 to €53million. In 2010 Channel 5 (FIVE) in the UK was sold for around £150million as were the Virgin Media TV (VMTV) channels. (Dogherty Hason did not but either VMTV or Five).

They already have a mortgage with you :)

Anyone watchin TV3?? This thread might be about to come alive again or is a merge on the cards:-S

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BMollie

So good old TV3 have taken on Brainbox. Wonder how much they are renting their airtime for? Couldn't believe what I was seeing...and Joan from Dublin winning 90e. she must have spent that amount ringing in.....maybe the unemployed from Hungary will get a few nixers on it now :(

Wonder how long it will take before Eileen and the Marys find it :-o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BMollie

Doubt if Eileen or Peter will be plants anymore. And poor Mary's finger but be broken from all the redialling...and now she will have to compete with callers from Scotland...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Meant to be on from 1 til 2.30 tomorrow night, I trust I'll see you all here? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭matty_fryatt

are we continuing on this thread or ?

Use the brainbox thread folks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement