Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graffiti artist in carlow???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

foggy_lad wrote: »
    They operate with the same type of attitude to law and social order as those that have non-standard number plates and heavily tinted windows on their cars, they are just a massive burden on society. But hey if you enjoy seeing your town and area destroyed by these mindless vandals that's fine but spare thought for your neighbours!

You really need to open your eyes a LOT.
    You're one of the most ignorant people I've come across on boards, and that's saying a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I think we might all need to take a time out and cool off a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Take the bitchin else where will yis ffs! The O.P's lookin for an artist not who has the moral high ground on boards. To the O.P I know someone who trained in NCAD who would most probably be glad of some commissioned work. What are you lookin to be designed?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

Was going to offer my services but i noticed thread was originally from 2009:D

Graffiti is a polarizing "art form" I was heavily involved from about 1980-2004 but old age and a heavy work schedule got the better of me.
    I do agree with some of the posts about how unsightly it looks but the standard of graffiti in Ireland is pretty bad and in the majority cases I see its idiots writing crap like "your mum smells" which is ugly and stupid... but then again one mans rubbish is another mans art.

Art
    graffiti_top5_header.jpg
    graffiti_05.jpg
    3863038709_85848f261e.jpg

Rubbish

graffiti460.jpg
    450grafitti_30076.jpg

wanna-be gangstas and rappa's

Your posts are great , either you're a professional troll or insanely deluded :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

zeds alive wrote: »
    Your posts are great , either you're a professional troll or insanely deluded :D
    what you describe as art in your post above is only that if the owner of the property that has been defaced has agreed to having this done.

otherwise it is an illegal act of vandalism and the "artists" deserve to have the book thrown at them in court as well as being made pay for any clean-up operation or have their prison sentance lengthened if they plead inability to pay.

what you describe as art in your post above is only that if the owner of the property that has been defaced has agreed to having this done.

here's what you do for the night, learn what 'defaced' means.
    good boy.

otherwise it is an illegal act of vandalism and the "artists" deserve to have the book thrown at them in court as well as being made pay for any clean-up operation or have their prison sentance lengthened if they plead inability to pay.

Like I said one mans rubbish is another mans art. I have been caught about 8/9 times in my younger days and never recieved a conviction , I think the most was £300 fine and that was in 1993 its very rare for any graffiti artist to get jailed.

The biggest hypocrisy I have ever seen when it comes to graffiti is in England...

This is considered art and has a value and gets protected by local governments
    http://www.banksy.co.uk/

banksy3.jpg

While this is considered vandalism and carries a fine and possible conviction

1210880-Christiania-Graffiti-0.jpg

Strange world we live in :)

SV wrote: »
    here's what you do for the night, learn what 'defaced' means.
    good boy.
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/deface
    1. To mar or spoil the appearance or surface of; disfigure.
    http://www.rockartcreations.com/glossary.html
    Deface: Spoiling the surface of an object.
    http://www.yourdictionary.com/defaced
    1. to spoil the appearance of; disfigure; mar
    2. to make illegible by injuring the surface of
    http://www.answers.com/topic/deface
    1. To mar or spoil the appearance or surface of; disfigure.
    2. To impair the usefulness, value, or influence of.
    3. Obsolete. To obliterate; destroy.

is that enough or shall i continue? deface is to take from or destroy the appearance of a surface so a white wall or bare wall is defaced by graffitti

zeds alive wrote: »
    Like I said one mans rubbish is another mans art. I have been caught about 8/9 times in my younger days and never recieved a conviction , I think the most was £300 fine and that was in 1993 its very rare for any graffiti artist to get jailed.

The biggest hypocrisy I have ever seen when it comes to graffiti is in England...

This is considered art and has a value and gets protected by local governments
    http://www.banksy.co.uk/

banksy3.jpg

While this is considered vandalism and carries a fine and possible conviction

1210880-Christiania-Graffiti-0.jpg

Strange world we live in :)
    indeed it is strange but one has obviously been commissioned by the local council and the other has been done by vandals albeit relatively talented ones but who is to say if they were not high on the illegality of their actions that they would produce the same results?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/deface

http://www.rockartcreations.com/glossary.html

http://www.yourdictionary.com/defaced

http://www.answers.com/topic/deface

is that enough or shall i continue? deface is to take from or destroy the appearance of a surface so a white wall or bare wall is defaced by graffitti

The property in the last two pictures has certainly been defaced but the previous three were not imo.

indeed it is strange but one has obviously been commissioned by the local council
    Nope , none of the guys work is commissioned its all illegal graffiti , its just that madonna and other a-list celebrities decided his graffiti was 'art' and now he's a multi-millionaire ,local councils even remove sections of walls he has "vandalized" and put them in museums.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banksy

vandals
    The above proves that the title "vandal" in the case of graffiti is decided by monetary value.
    if they were not high on the illegality of their actions that they would produce the same results?
    Of course , 99% of graffiti artists reproduce their work to scale , from notepad to whatever surface
    2104300923_f5b68d6572.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

A work of art is a work of art and I certainly agree with zeds alive that some of the examples given should be considered art.
    However, a work of art sprayed on my property without my consent is vandalism. I don't care if Banksy, Michaelangelo and Monet all collaborated in it, if they don't have permission its vandalism.

Essien wrote: »
    However, a work of art sprayed on my property without my consent is vandalism. I don't care if Banksy, Michaelangelo and Monet all collaborated in it, if they don't have permission its vandalism.
    Agreed , I'm not condoning vandalism , just pointing out the thin line between artist and vandal.

I blame the Romans they started it all :D

Alexmenos_Graffiti.jpg

There may be a very thin line but it does not make vandalism acceptable. And this kind of blatant disregard for other's property usually leads to more serious laws being broken.

And this kind of blatant disregard for other's property usually leads to more serious laws being broken.
    Yes most graffiti artists are known to rob banks and rape nuns after putting up pictures.
    Are you the kind of person who says music like hip hop causes young kinds to go out and commit crime , but then again what was Hitler listening to? By that reckoning we should be very very scared of Wagner and Beethoven fans ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

banksy's stuff was (is?) frequently painted over by county councils displaying the same sort of boorish mentality some posting here share.

As long as there is art there will be philistines, to denigrate graffiti in the manner some have done is evidence of cringeworthy secularism. Do people hoenstly believe that art can only exist in mueseums? if you want to justify painting over graffiti do so because the bare wall is more aesthetically pleasing than the graffiti, but dont do it becuse "durr durr its VANDALISM". Some of the greatest works of literature were banned because of pig headed fools who believed that it wasnt right or proper for them to be published. Art is not there to be validated by us as a society or a few individuals who have declared a monopoly on public space.

As for the boy racer thing, note the "boy" part, yeah young lads drive silly cars, so what? who cares? people do silly things when there young. they'll soon grow up and start letting society dictate what car it is proper for them to drive.

edit. op, try posting in the NCAD forum, someone there should be able to help you

and by the way something isnt defaced if its made better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

just because someone puts up something on a wall doesnt make it art. there is good and bad 'graffiti'
    if it's on a building that is not in use i dont see the problem, or if it's very well done and puts a smile on peoples faces

is this art?

DF759763AFBC441EB56B89FBDFF2F17E-800.jpg

036295829F3B497C8C99F251DDCB3E33-800.jpg

81D47CC186E84B87A2F43423EF01242D-800.jpg

EA3B5E02209C42DD9D05F298633638CC-800.jpg

is this art?

no, they are 'tags'
    LA has miles of train tracks that I've seen (Amtrack) with tags along the adjacent walls, some are very intricate, others are scribbles. tho picking out which material is actual art is subjective and sometimes impossible

the tags can be done for different reasons.
    boredom,
    marking territory,
    or making a name for yourself/gaining respect from peers in relation to where you place your tags/the dangers involved in the act

• Advertisement

In San Francisco in many areas people have embraced graffiti, alot of shops pay artisits to design their shop fronts

heres some random stuff from Upper Haight(I think) area
    5734_269005855603_681875603_8833315_7271218_n.jpg

5734_269005875603_681875603_8833319_7759938_n.jpg

5734_269005840603_681875603_8833314_6527765_n.jpg

5734_269005865603_681875603_8833317_5885644_n.jpg

a bit different to Carlow!

no, they are 'tags' illegal
    LA has miles of train tracks that I've seen (Amtrack) with tags along the adjacent walls, some are very intricate, others are scribbles. tho picking out which material is actual art is subjective and sometimes impossible

the tags can be done for different reasons.
    boredom,
    marking territory,
    or making a name for yourself/gaining respect from peers in relation to where you place your tags/the dangers involved in the act
    all those "tags" are illegal and the scumbags that do this are destroying the towns they make their mark like animals! usually these criminals are not from the areas they deface but travel miles away to crap on someone elses property. Also Carlow is a far cry from LA or other screwed up American metropolitan areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

if the link road bridge had been sprayed with pieces similar in style/quality to those shown in the last set of photos would you still hold them to be vandalism/scum etc.

questioner wrote: »
    if the link road bridge had been sprayed with pieces similar in style/quality to those shown in the last set of photos would you still hold them to be vandalism/scum etc.
    yes if they were done without permission of the council/CIE/property owners.

the problem facing society is that many people see certain laws as not applying to them, drivers that have yellow number plates or heavily tinted side windows etc and scumbags that deface property think they are only spraying a bit of paint but they are breaking the law and the latter can require heavy duty spray washers to remove the scumbags tags/markings, when a dog marks its territory at least the rain will wash it away!

is this art?
    In my opinion is ugly ****e and its something that could easily be stopped by making it a legal wall and encouraging real graffiti artists to paint on it would put an end to ugly tags , because it will never stop if people depend on the word of law to prevent people spraying on walls.
    the problem facing society is that many people see certain laws as not applying to them, drivers that have yellow number plates or heavily tinted side windows etc and scumbags that deface property think they are only spraying a bit of paint but they are breaking the law and the latter can require heavy duty spray washers to remove the scumbags tags/markings, when a dog marks its territory at least the rain will wash it away!

Society as a whole has bigger problems than tinted windows and yellow number plates or graffiti , all of the above are issues that keep the joe duffy brigade and people like your self busy(walking around taking pictures of graffiti) while real issues go un-challenged.

So what you want to see, and your answer to blatant criminality is to reward the scumbags by making their destruction legal!?! That will NEVER be the answer!

And most of societies bigger issues are caused or nurtured by lax attitudes to the law. If vandals were deal with swiftly they would not go on to the lives of petty crimes many of them do.

So what you want to see, and your answer to blatant criminality is to reward the scumbags by making their destruction legal!?! That will NEVER be the answer!

You have to be trolling.
    Either that or you're intentionally making the most retarded posts I've ever seen.

And most of societies bigger issues are caused or nurtured by lax attitudes to the law. If vandals were deal with swiftly they would not go on to the lives of petty crimes many of them do.

Statistics for that?
    Or is it just another one of your brainless posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

usually these criminals are not from the areas they deface but travel miles away to crap on someone elses property.

Anything to back that up?

You don't get it , you make the wall legal to draw on and attract real artists , not gobsh1tes who spray crap on walls like the images you posted.

You replace this
    DF759763AFBC441EB56B89FBDFF2F17E-800.jpg

With this

legal-walls-bristol.jpg

I used to put up pictures on walls with the sons of one of Leinsters most prominent barristers who them selves in turn are now barristers and also with the son of a recently retired Garda superintendent , haven't spoke to him in a while but last I heard he was working as a graphic designer in London... I myself went on to a carreer in IT(unemployed atm).
    Your generalizations about young people and whats around you don't carry any weight.

• Advertisement

I do get what ye are all saying but the fact remains that if I you or anyone else goes along and "tags" or paints the Mona Lisa on any wall without permission it is illegal and an act of vandalism. People that do this generally have little or no respect for the law.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement