Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Macca3000 wrote: »
    I'm going to get slaughtered for admitting this but I think I may be the only person who never got what was so wonderful about Life of Pi. Then again I'm also the only person I know who thinks the Alchemist was boring.:(

You're not alone! I didn't like Life of Pi at all, personally.

I've actually never read any proper fantasy yet, but I've a copy of Magician sitting on my shelf so I'm going to give that a go. I've heard a lot of good things about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Is there a set date for Esselmont's new book?

Stonewielder? First Ed due in October. Thats the £99, 300-copy limited edition.

Given that I have first-edition copies of NoK and RoTG, I'm thinking seriously about springing for it....

Currently reading Shadows of the Apt series, by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

Pretty good...certainly good enough to buy books 3 and 4...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RocketFalls

The October Country by Mr. Bradbury.
    Again. I make a habit of reading that around five times a year. Beautiful piece of work, if not exactly science fiction. Although I've always felt that Bradbury veered more towards the atmospheric, camp-fire sort of storytelling as opposed to the so-called 'hard science fiction' anyway.

Incidentally, has anybody read Kathleen Ann Goonan? I picked up a copy of 'Light Music', and was pretty astounded. Kind of annoyed that it's the fourth book in a cycle, since the others are impossible to come by.
    'Nanopunk', I think the genre is called. I recommend it highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

bonkey wrote: »
    Stonewielder? First Ed due in October. Thats the £99, 300-copy limited edition.

Given that I have first-edition copies of NoK and RoTG, I'm thinking seriously about springing for it....

No way would I spring that amount for Esselmont. Erikson maybe, but not Esselmont.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Woow_Aqualung

The Mote in Gods Eye.

"And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"

It is brilliant. Nearly finished. The writting just flows from the pages.

Out of interest how many people have read A Clockwork Orange? It's one of my favourite books, but when I tell people this they give me a look of disgust, and the conversation peters off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

The Mote in Gods Eye.

"And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"

It is brilliant. Nearly finished. The writting just flows from the pages.

Out of interest how many people have read A Clockwork Orange? It's one of my favourite books, but when I tell people this they give me a look of disgust, and the conversation peters off.

I've read it, and while I enjoyed it, I wouldn't say it was one of my favourites.
    Just finished Neal Asher's "Cowl".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Definitely preferred the film (not too often that you can say that)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

mcgovern wrote: »
    Just finished Neal Asher's "Cowl".
    What did you think?

I've just started "Hilldiggers" (also by Neal Asher).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I've got a book of his called 'Line of Polity' on the bookshelf at home. Can I read that as a stand-alone book, or will it not make sense unless I've read the previous title in the series?

• Advertisement

El Tarangu wrote: »
    I've got a book of his called 'Line of Polity' on the bookshelf at home. Can I read that as a stand-alone book, or will it not make sense unless I've read the previous title in the series?
    Read it in sequence as they're definitely connected. Start with "Gridlinked".
    The Polity universe has a number of series set within it, including the Agent Cormac series.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

neal stephenson - quicksilver

book shop wasnt able to get the books I ordered, so I just picked this up frmo the shelf. it's quite big so hopefully it's also quite good.

Great book. You are aware, I assume, that its the first of a trilogy, and the other two are equally large?

/currently taking a break from sci-fi / fantasy, and re-reading The Woman in White (Wilkie Collins)

yeah, i thought the fact that quicksilver itself was made of three 'books' was what the trilogy reference i saw online was referring too but if quicksilver is as good as you say, then 2 more equally large books wont be a problem at all :)

yeah, i thought the fact that quicksilver itself was made of three 'books' was what the trilogy reference i saw online was referring too but if quicksilver is as good as you say, then 2 more equally large books wont be a problem at all :)
    It's also very light in terms of science-fiction. Sure it's a fictional novel about the Enlightenment and how science was developed, but don't expect anything like a Steampunk setting or the like. It's rooted in a lot of historical fact.
    I found the series at times wonderful but also frustrating. The sheer detail meant the plot got lost at times. It's a very impressive piece of work but I didn't always care to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Currently reading Xenocide the 3rd book in the enders game series

getting a bit bored of it at the moment, really liked the first one but this one is far too preachy

ixoy wrote: »
    It's also very light in terms of science-fiction. Sure it's a fictional novel about the Enlightenment and how science was developed, but don't expect anything like a Steampunk setting or the like. It's rooted in a lot of historical fact.
    I found the series at times wonderful but also frustrating. The sheer detail meant the plot got lost at times. It's a very impressive piece of work but I didn't always care to read it.

you can sing that, I'm not very far in at all and i'm already varying wildly from enjoying it to finding it a struggle. It feels like i'm reading something written by someone who knows they're a damned good writer, but wants to make sure I'm left with that impression too.

to be honest, I'm considering leaving it aside for now and breaking out tad williams - otherland for a long over due re-read.

madrab wrote: »
    Currently reading Xenocide the 3rd book in the enders game series

getting a bit bored of it at the moment, really liked the first one but this one is far too preachy

I found that the "original" series really went downhill....Enders Game itself was really the only great book there.

The "Shadow" series, though....that was worthwhile. Again, though, book 1 is the highlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Reading Inverted World by Christopher Priest. The man deserves so much more recognition. I've read a few of his others already and I've never been dissapointed. The opposite in fact.

bonkey wrote: »
    I found that the "original" series really went downhill....Enders Game itself was really the only great book there.

I hated (And still hate) Enders Game. The writting was too clunky and you could tell that the author loved writting about Ender and his army flying around that battle room.

Thats my two cents.

• Advertisement

Now reading Firstborn by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 josephtoole

Anything by Arthur C. Clarke really. The City and the Stars was probably the best book I've ever read, Rendezvous with Rama was great too. Timestorm with Stephen Baxter I would also recommend.

AVOID The Last Theorem, a collaboration between him and Frederik Pohl. One of the most boring and utterly uninteresting books ever. Avoid.

Anything by Arthur C. Clarke really. The City and the Stars was probably the best book I've ever read, Rendezvous with Rama was great too. Timestorm with Stephen Baxter I would also recommend.

AVOID The Last Theorem, a collaboration between him and Frederik Pohl. One of the most boring and utterly uninteresting books ever. Avoid.

What about 2001:A Space Odessey? I've always considered reading it, but I've heard the film is better.

What about 2001:A Space Odessey? I've always considered reading it, but I've heard the film is better.

I quite enjoyed it and the sequels, though I don't remember much from the sequels so they weren't amazing.

Timestorm that josephtoole is reading, is, I guess, either a mistake or a new edition containing Book 1 (Time's Eye) + Book 2 (Sunstorm) of the Time Odyssey that I'm currently reading the 3rd book of.
    Also, The Light of Other Days, another collaboration between Clarke and Baxter, is I think much better than the Time Odyssey series.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Started The Warrior Prophet last night. Really liked the catch-up at the start as it's been a while since I read the previous book.

Now reading Firstborn by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter.

Finished this yesterday and actually really enjoyed it, need to order the 4th one now :)
    Started Non-Stop by Brian Aldiss and while it can be quite predictable at times, it's still very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Arthur C. Clarke...The City and the Stars was probably the best book I've ever read,....

It's pretty amazing by any standards (but especially considering how long ago it was written)

Currently reading "The Gathering Storm" by Brendan Sanderson (working off notes from Robert Jordan). As it's the 1,345th instalment in the "Wheel of Time" series, it's good to see that it finally seems to be ramping up to an end. There's a bit of pace so far that I hope keeps up.

Finished this yesterday and actually really enjoyed it, need to order the 4th one now :)
    Started Non-Stop by Brian Aldiss and while it can be quite predictable at times, it's still very good.

Finished that yesterday, good read :)
    Now onto Line War by Neal Asher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Just finished "The Folding Knife" by KJ Parker. Story of a Machiavellian type ruling a Roman style city. Well written but very fast paced, maybe a bit too fast. I really enjoyed it right up to the end but she did a Gemmell on it and crammed the ending into 40 pages instead of 200.

I'd give it a 5/10, just.

Advertisement