Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I'm reading 'Foundation' - never got around to it before, strangely enough. A light enough read. Is it worth reading the rest of the series (I've heard that 'Prelude to Foundation' is cat, but are the others any use?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

El Tarangu wrote: »
    I'm reading 'Foundation' - never got around to it before, strangely enough. A light enough read. Is it worth reading the rest of the series (I've heard that 'Prelude to Foundation' is cat, but are the others any use?)

Extremely dated IMHO. But if you enjoyed the first one then keep going, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Just finished Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist and now starting one of his other books, Handling The Undead.

On an unrelated note I wasn't pleased to discover that The Crippled God has been pushed back to next year. :mad:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

pljudge321 wrote: »
    On an unrelated note I wasn't pleased to discover that The Crippled God has been pushed back to next year. :mad:
    As the bearer of bad news, you're now my least favourite person on this forum :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

ixoy wrote: »
    As the bearer of bad news, you're now my least favourite person on this forum :(

I know, and Erikson is usually such a reliable author, books like clockwork.

• Advertisement

pljudge321 wrote: »
    I know, and Erikson is usually such a reliable author, books like clockwork.
    I'm assuming it's because he's trying to wrap up stuff so it needs to be tied down more neatly than normal. Even so... 1/11 should be do-able now though as the folk on the malazanempire forums seem to have a direct line to Erikson.

In the meantime "Stone Weilder" should be out before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Is there a set date for Esselmont's new book?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Extremely dated IMHO. But if you enjoyed the first one then keep going, I'd say.

I hear ya - in one scene, a spaceship has windows and drapes(?), and they keep referring to 'years' as if it shold mean something (even though none of the action is set on earth, or is earth ever used as a reference point).

On to Larry Niven's 'Ringworld' now - early days yet, but it seems alright

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Excellent book IMHO.
    AFAICR the first book to win both the Hugo and Nebula awards.
    Don't bother with any of the sequels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Reading Kraken by Mieville.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

A sci-fi fav of mine!
    Excellent book IMHO.
    AFAICR the first book to win both the Hugo and Nebula awards.
    Don't bother with any of the sequels.
    +1

The sequels aren't worth it. :)

Reading "Look to Windward" at the moment. It's no "Use of Weapons", I tell you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

No! Get Deadhouse Gates, trust me!

Chain of Dogs!

I've 5 or 6 books sitting on the shelf to get through before I *should* order any more, but I might make an exception ;)
    Cowl is ok so far too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭moncai

I've read here that lots of people who have read The Prince of Nothing series have expressed a hatred for Kellhus the 'main character', i'm just wondering is this more based on the series as a whole than the first installment? I'm about seven eighths of the way through the first one and have yet to see him do much bad except manipulate people quite a bit... that Sarcellus dude with the black seed seems much more chilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Re-reading Red Seas Under Red Skies, the 2nd in Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series.

Now I'm really getting impatient for him to bring out the next one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

moncai wrote: »
    I've read here that lots of people who have read The Prince of Nothing series have expressed a hatred for Kellhus the 'main character', i'm just wondering is this more based on the series as a whole than the first installment? I'm about seven eighths of the way through the first one and have yet to see him do much bad except manipulate people quite a bit... that Sarcellus dude with the black seed seems much more chilling.

I quite like Kellhus myself, if only because he's a magnificently amoral bastard. His actions get a bit more explained in later books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Trojan wrote: »
    Read Kingmaker, Kingbreaker book 1 The Innocent Mage.

It's not incredible, but a pleasant read - I'm not rushing out to buy the 2nd book yet but I'll get to it at some stage. What did you folks think?

Second book wasn't as good as the first, it was the one book split into two and the second had too much filler and fizzled out at the end.

Currently re reading the Belagrid a book ahead of my 12 year old, maybe by the time we are done he will stop saying
    "Why me?"

Sarky wrote: »
    I quite like Kellhus myself, if only because he's a magnificently amoral bastard. His actions get a bit more explained in later books.
    I like him as well. He makes Machiavelli seem like a pussy. The way he just manipulates everyone so smoothly to achieve his aims, without it ever seeming like that, is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Finished Dune a while back, wanna read big George RR's next!
    Woooooooooo:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Finished Dune a while back, wanna read big George RR's next!
    Woooooooooo:pac:

Just started the first one, yeah pick em up, pretty feck'in good.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 scillaria

Sarky wrote: »
    Yeah i also like kellhus as he is by far the best amoral manipulator i've read but then again I like these characters.What he manages to do the main character Drusas Achamian is brillant piece of plot. I will admit that the writer may go slightly overboard with the tribe Sranc. What these people do in the book is quite difficult to read at times for my personal taste

Just about to finish the warhammer book "Cadian brood " and got to admit that Aaron Dembski-Bowden is a damn good writer might go an read the rest of his books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭sxt

Just about to delve into 'Mythago Wood' by Robert Holdstock

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kismet80

Just finishing Charlene Harris' Dead until Dawn.
    I'm sorry I ever bought it. I got drawn in by peer pressure :(
    It is two parts drivel, one part sex (and not even good at that) and all the rest is utter crap.
    How they ever came up with a decent series like True Blood out of it has me completely baffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

kismet80 wrote: »
    Just finishing Charlene Harris' Dead until Dawn.
    I'm sorry I ever bought it. I got drawn in by peer pressure :(
    It is two parts drivel, one part sex (and not even good at that) and all the rest is utter crap.
    How they ever came up with a decent series like True Blood out of it has me completely baffled.

Same here, the books are like dexter in that the TV shows are 100 times better. Tried 1 or 2 of the others and they were worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lauras5839

I'm currently reading "The Magician's Apprentice" by Trudi Canavan, I'm about a hundred odd pages in and I'm really liking it so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Lauras5839 wrote: »
    I'm currently reading "The Magician's Apprentice" by Trudi Canavan, I'm about a hundred odd pages in and I'm really liking it so far :)

Love the Black Magician series. I have Magician's Apprentice to read as well and I think her new book is out for the follow on trilogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 214horatio

im currently reading beatrice and virgil by yann martel, its quite a strange book but i had to read it after reading his masterpiece that being the life of pi.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lauras5839

@Macca I can see why you like the books so much, I can't put the one I'm reading down! :) Looking forward to reading her other books too.

I also love Terry Brooks, he's well worth a look too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

214horatio wrote: »
    im currently reading beatrice and virgil by yann martel, its quite a strange book but i had to read it after reading his masterpiece that being the life of pi.

I'm going to get slaughtered for admitting this but I think I may be the only person who never got what was so wonderful about Life of Pi. Then again I'm also the only person I know who thinks the Alchemist was boring.:(
    Lauras5839 wrote: »
    @Macca I can see why you like the books so much, I can't put the one I'm reading down! :) Looking forward to reading her other books too.

I also love Terry Brooks, he's well worth a look too :D

Yep, really looking forward to the new trilogy. She's almost finished the second book according to her website. Just have Justin Lee Collins' autobiography to get through...

Currently on "Lisey's Story" by Stephen King. It's not too much on the horror/fantasy. Not bad although his writing style annoys me at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GisforGrenade

I am reading Dragon Haven by Robin Hobb, its brilliant, a proper page turner. It just reminds me how good an author Robin Hobb is with the one exception of the Soldier's Son Trilogy, I really don't know what she was thinking with that series. Generally I have no interest in Dragons as they are a bit of a tired trope but Hobb breaths new life into them, the detail is quite impressive.

Advertisement