Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Finished The Name of the Wind (Rothfuss) the other day. Well impressed.

Now well into The Evolving Void...third book in Hamilton's void trilogy. Good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I'm reading Acacia by David Anthony Durham which is apparently the start of a fantasy trilogy. Its pretty good, the world-building and characterisation are excellent although the pace is a bit on the slow side. I'm only 1/3 into the book so far though so it might pick up towards the middle and end.

Just picked up this one and his hannibal book, will start em after i finish the last void book by hamilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Finished The Magicians Apprentice last night. Fairly throwaway book, no real character development and you never get a sense of why characters are actually doing anything. Doubt I'll carry on with Canavan.

Started The Lies of Locke Lamora but I'm only 20 or so pages in so haven't formed an opinion yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Made it about a third of the way through The Windup Girl before admitting defeat, couldn't get into it at all. Don't know how it's won all those awards. Started Game Of Thrones instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Finished The Magicians Apprentice last night. Fairly throwaway book, no real character development and you never get a sense of why characters are actually doing anything. Doubt I'll carry on with Canavan.

Damn it. I have the Magicians Apprentice sitting waiting to be read. I really liked her Black Magician trilogy to which this is a prequel so thought it would be fairly similar in style.

Didn't like her other stand alone trilogy at all though.

• Advertisement

Macca3000 wrote: »
    Damn it. I have the Magicians Apprentice sitting waiting to be read. I really liked her Black Magician trilogy to which this is a prequel so thought it would be fairly similar in style.

Didn't like her other stand alone trilogy at all though.

Well I've never read the Black Magician Trilogy so you may like it. For me it didn't feel fully fleshed out and characters just seemed to suddenly have ideas or personality changes in order to further the plot. Which left me not really understanding any of them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Re-reading Harry Potter now in anticipation of the new movie.

I also recently bought Galileo's Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson, so it will be either that or Scott Pilgrim next

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Currently reading K.J. Parker's "The Company" about a group of war veterans looking to retire. Enjoying her/his writing style a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Made it about a third of the way through The Windup Girl before admitting defeat, couldn't get into it at all. Don't know how it's won all those awards. Started Game Of Thrones instead.

Been interested in looking at that one, no stores seem to have it where i have looked, did you buy in a shop in Dublin:confused:

Reading Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. Decided to give him a try after the great job he did with the final wheel of time book.

• Advertisement

Finished Hamiltons void trilogy last night. It was good but got a bit daft at times, not as straight forward as the prime war books.

starting Humanitys fire(Michael Cobley) and the long price(Daniel Abraham) books. Just can't get into Humanitys fire so kicked off the long price series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Finished Hamiltons void trilogy last night. It was good but got a bit daft at times, not as straight forward as the prime war books.

I am thinking about reading the last one and re-reading the first two. Should I bother?

Actually it was one of the few book series that i'd no problem remembering the characters where they were\were doing in the previous books. normally i would re-read. Still undecided on the books, liked it but plot\end was'nt as straight forward as judas unchained, felt more like the nights dawn trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NotInventedHere

Just finished the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. Hadn't read any fantasy in years, but I liked them. They were vey gritty and Superior Glokta is a supberb character.

I am currently reading 3 books in fits and starts

The City and the City - China Mieville
    Transitions - Iain Banks
    Inverted World - Christopher Priest

Probably will focus on Mieville's book first

Yeah abercrombie impressed me with those 3. Can be brutal in a good way at times. He's got another book "Best Served cold", same world set just after the first law series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

sxt wrote: »
    Been interested in looking at that one, no stores seem to have it where i have looked, did you buy in a shop in Dublin:confused:

Got it online, for my ereader. If I had a physical copy I would have gladly given it to you. I'm sure Chapters on Parnell St or Waterstones would order it in, not sure if its in paperback yet though.

Still on The Lies of Locke Lamora and I'm loving it :D

Thanks to whoever recommended it on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Revisiting my youth- Magician, Raymond E. Feist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Just read Bearers of the Black Staff by Terry Brooks.Didn't particularly like it.It felt rushed and the story was a bit weak, although the characters were good.

About to start A Game of Thrones now.Got the 1st 2 books at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Yeah abercrombie impressed me with those 3. Can be brutal in a good way at times. He's got another book "Best Served cold", same world set just after the first law series.

First Law ones were really good, nice twist on fantasy norms well slight twist. Didn't like the other one as much still good but not great.

I'm currently reading Way of Kings, on my phone which isn't ideal, and so far its rather good. Its far better than Mr Sanderson's other books outside of the Wheel of Time, admittedly I've only read one and that was poor.

Also reading Paul Kearney's Monarchies of God series. About 150 pages into first book. Hasn't really got going yet but has shown some potential, waiting for the set up to be setted up. Irish author whom I hadn't heard of before and he has written quite a few books.

• Advertisement

Currently reading "Rides a Dread Legion" by Raymond E. Feist. I'm enjoying it so far (about halfway). Some irritating typos again but there's a decent story and some interesting new characters.

On to Scott Lynch's second book 'Red Seas Beneath Red Skies'.

About 150 pages in, don't know if it's as good as the first one. Still enjoyable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The first three Black Company books by Glen Cook. There's some major praise from them by Steven Eriksson and you can see their influence on his stuff. Very similar to the Malazan in tone and scope but much more accessable.

The first three Black Company books by Glen Cook. There's some major praise from them by Steven Eriksson and you can see their influence on his stuff. Very similar to the Malazan in tone and scope but much more accessable.

Interesting... I think a trip to Hodges & Figgs is in order!

Interesting... I think a trip to Hodges & Figgs is in order!
    FYI - I got the compendium of the first 3 books for €9.99 in Chapters. It's on my massive book pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

I've been meaning to read the other books in the series though they are hard to find. They are a bit of a weird mash of really gritty squad based soldiering and some more classical fantasy elements. Its like they are caught between two different era's of fantasy literature. You can definitely see where Erikson pulled the malazan's from though.

pljudge321 wrote: »
    I've been meaning to read the other books in the series though they are hard to find.
    They've all been collected and re-published in 4 different volumes. You can pick them up on Amazon, etc. now easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Same here - I have returned to the Black Company - on the second book at the moment - the Dominator must be stiring and calling us all home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Dipping in and out of "Valley Of The Dolls". My concentration's shot to hell but it's a good read so far.

• Advertisement

About halfway through Terry Brooks' "Morgawyr". It's a little dull - neither bad, nor all that good. Some interesting characters in it, just the world of Shannara seems a bit too old-skool at the moment.

Advertisement