Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

ixoy wrote: »
    One of those novellas on the two necromancers! Although they've yet to appear and I've 30 pages to go... It's a nicely bound book and there's 3 colour plate illustrations in the book (180 pages in it). You have to focus when reading it - not because there's a detailed plot, but the characters tend to talk in a long-winded fashion and you need to pay attention to enjoy the metaphors, etc.

I've always meant to get them but I've never seen them in a shop!

Anyways, I'm still struggling through The Darkness That Comes Before. Just can't seem to get my head into it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've always meant to get them but I've never seen them in a shop!
    Had to order them online. You can get some from Amazon, but I think the newest needs to be ordered directly from the publisher - PS Publishing.
    Anyways, I'm still struggling through The Darkness That Comes Before. Just can't seem to get my head into it.
    Really? I enjoyed it. I've got his latest on my book shelf, set in the same world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

China Melville 'The Scar', tis brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Really? I enjoyed it. I've got his latest on my book shelf, set in the same world.

I also seem to get more out of those books when there finished, they can be a bit of a struggle, but when i look back on them , i always think they were worth the read.

Almost finished "Wrath of a Mad God" by Raymond E. Feist. He hasn't played on this big of a scale since the Serpent War saga. I'm enjoying it although there's far too many typos. There's also some major retconning going on but he's just about getting away with it.
    Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    China Melville 'The Scar', tis brilliant.
    That it is - probably still his best work. Still many vivid moments in my mind from it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I finished the new short story collection by Alastair Reynolds, Zima Blue, very very good.
    I also finished Transition by Iain Banks which was another triumph by the author.
    I'm now into Gradsil by Adam Roberts, a very off the wall writer but one who has yet to disappoint, or been afraid to completely confuse his readers!

Was browsing in Waterstones and happened across the Bauchelain and Korbal Broach collection of three novellas, delighted!

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies will have to take a back seat for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Ah, those novellas are great fun.

I'm still dipping in and out of the collected Conan stories. It runs rings around a lot of today's stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭sxt

"Glorianna" by Michael Moorcock-building up to a nice crescendo ending I hope.

I saw China Melville's new book "The City & The City"(Hardback) in Chapters for a fiver today-was actually looking to pick up "the scar" but no sign of it

Just started Greg Egan's "Permutation City". Interested in his take on identities - something I've posted about on this forum before.
    sxt wrote: »
    I saw China Melville's new book "The City & The City"(Hardback) in Chapters for a fiver today-was actually looking to pick up "the scar" but no sign of it
    If you haven't read it, did you buy it? It's excellent and deserving of the many nominations its received this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭sxt

oh cool ,i might try and pick it up next week-I only had enough money to buy one book "ubik" this time around

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

'The Vorpal Blade' by Ringo and Taylor. Escapist fun with the US Marine Corp. in space. Bringing peace, hope and superior firepower to other worlds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Hogfather by Pratchett was a great out of season read. My brother recommended me The Adamantine Palace by Stephen Deas. He isn't as into this stuff as me but I'll give him a bit of credit. Not a bad book. Straight forward I guess. Very little characterization but I didn't expect much. I'm looking forward to more Hobb after this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

sxt wrote: »
    oh cool ,i might try and pick it up next week-I only had enough money to buy one book "ubik" this time around

That's some book, IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

The Algebraist by Iain M Banks ... awesome!!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Jumper, Steven Gould.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

just read terry pratchett - jingo

might venture back intothe attic tomorrow and try to find small gods or good omens, i'm certain there must be a box or two full of books that I haven't found yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Just finished reading Paul McAuley's "Gardens of the Sun", the follier-upper to "The Quiet War". I must say I enjoyed this one a lot more than "the Quiet War". He seemed to have some more satisfying developments and resolutions for the characters. (Or maybe it was my lowered expectations)
    You would definitely have to read Quiet War first.

Any love here for McAuley? Seems to me he has produced a broad range of very good to excellent SF books with surprisingly varied styles (from hard SF to wacky steampunk to X-files-esque to creepy hear horror)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

HP Lovecraft, Murakami and a modern day Captain Cook travellogue by a chap called Horowitz...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 goretti

Stormcaller by Tom Lloyd.

• Advertisement

Gaiman's 'American Gods'.

Loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Gaiman's 'American Gods'.

Loving it!

class....

gerroff the net and read it !!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Trudi Canavan's Black Magician series. First book was a bit slow, but definitely enjoyed 2 and 3.

I was reading "Blood Knight" by Greg Keyes but am now onto "Kraken" by China Miéville. Only 25 pages in but I've already been re-reading paragraphs, such is the beauty of the writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I was reading "Blood Knight" by Greg Keyes but am now onto "Kraken" by China Miéville. Only 25 pages in but I've already been re-reading paragraphs, such is the beauty of the writing.

I had no idea Kraken was out. How is it? Better than Iron Council?

Re-read Lies of Locke Lamora again recently, incredibly good even the 2nd time around.

I'd love to know when the 3rd book is out but it just has "forthcoming" beside the title - any news?

Shryke wrote: »
    I had no idea Kraken was out. How is it? Better than Iron Council?
    Early days yet, but yeah I think so. It's set in modern-day London and there's a real sense of creeping unease so far.

Read Kingmaker, Kingbreaker book 1 The Innocent Mage.

It's not incredible, but a pleasant read - I'm not rushing out to buy the 2nd book yet but I'll get to it at some stage. What did you folks think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Just finished Gardens of the Moon, very good, not normally a huge fan of fantasy but really enjoyed it.
    Now on Neal Asher's 'Cowl'.

• Advertisement

mcgovern wrote: »
    Just finished Gardens of the Moon, very good, not normally a huge fan of fantasy but really enjoyed it.
    Now on Neal Asher's 'Cowl'.

No! Get Deadhouse Gates, trust me!

Chain of Dogs!

Advertisement