Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda wins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

duffflash wrote: »
    Its sh*t that Bruton didn’t win but now the country has the best chance of having a single party government with Labor.

No they dont. Labour dont have a sufficient number of quality candidates or base to form a single party government and thats not even going into their policies (or lack there of).

It would be surprising if Labour became the biggest party without even talking about single party government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

the best chance of having a single party government with Labor.

Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

You don't care that Kenny hadn't a clue the other day on the radio and had to be prompted by a handler on the banking report as to what to say?
    You're not embarrassed by that?

Oh my God...

No like I say I don't care what help, assistance or advice they get, just as long as they do a good job. I don't understand why I would be embarrassed by it anyway

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Oh dear.

You answered that comment a lot more succinctly than me. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭duffflash

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Oh dear.

So you'll be voting FF then!?

sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Its sh*t that Bruton didn’t win but now the country has the best chance of having a single party government with Labor.

That would be great, being lead by a party who have proven themselves to be nothing but vague on their policies over the past 2 years:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

deisedol wrote: »
    I think we are seeing the real leadership abilities and political astuteness of Enda Kenny over the past week. He certainly has the metal to take on Cowen. I think a lot of people will have a lot more respect for EK now. He managed a very difficult situation as cool as a breeze, he was unflappable when his world was falling around him. he is a very experienced politician and has put manners on the young inexperienced pups trying to backstab him.

That's all well and good but the Irish public have shown time and time that they're not willing to vote for him. He refuses to recognise this and will cost his party then next election.

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    No like I say I don't care what help, assistance or advice they get, just as long as they do a good job. I don't understand why I would be embarrassed by it anyway

But how can you think he would do a good job if he's shown that he doesn't understand the issue and/or the ability to convey his thoughts on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

That's all well and good but the Irish public have shown time and time that they're not willing to vote for him. He refuses to recognise this and will cost his party then next election.

Reckon someone must be voting for him as he is a TD for 27 years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

So you'll be voting FF then!?

sad

"You're either with us or you're with the Terrorists!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭duffflash

That would be great, being lead by a party who have proven themselves to be nothing but vague on their policies over the past 2 years:rolleyes:

Better to be vague than to lie about them:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    "The people in the west have proved that we are as good and better than the rest"

Who the fcuk am I going to vote for... I'm honestly stumped.

Obviously, we need to vote for anyone from the west, because they're better than the rest! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭doc_17

Hopefully in the next week or two people will start to zoom in on Gilmore and demand an answer to the question that they ask

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Foxtrol wrote: »
    But how can you think he would do a good job if he's shown that he doesn't understand the issue and/or the ability to convey his thoughts on it?
    That seems to be the 6 marker that the sheep that voted for Kenny today want to ostrich themselves into the sand on..
    putting the earplug in doesn't wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Which is why FG have gained seats in every election under him.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

FG were at such a low ebb after the 2002 election theres no way they could lose any more seats with their core vote. Increasing the number of seats from f**k all to some is not a big triumph

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Why hasn't Enda Kenny resigned - I really like him, I think he is a brillant facilitator but the people who had first hand knowledge of his leadership skills, his front bench, had come to the conclusion that he wasn't up to the job.

Now I have never thought that he was an arrogant person but I am now questioning this because; if your immediate followers want to oust you, and your party is about to see many of its high profile candidates going to the back benches, then how is it good for the party? Would the party be better of with a new leader? I am not saying it should be R Bruton but I have to really question whether or not it should be Enda.

I will once again say that FG are in opposition against the most unpopular government since the brits! ANYONE could have won more seats for FG.

It's akin to the property developers on 'property ladder' with Sarah Beaney who went 100's of k over budget and then thought they were brilliant when they still managed to turn a profit in the fastest rising market in history.

I've nothing against Enda myself, but an awful lot of people simply do not like him and will not vote for him. And now instead of FG coming out of this looking like a fresh faced party who can turn things around, it looks like more of the same ineptitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

FG were at such a low ebb after the 2002 election theres no way they could lose any more seats with their core vote. Increasing the number of seats from f**k all to some is not a big triumph

I agree. He unified a small collection of TD's in desperate times. Once power appeared in sight the usual happened. Hence the reason FF have been in power 80 years.

What had attracted me to FG has been smothered by a gombeen crew of parish hall politicians, witness that moran shouting up Mayo. If thats the current state of FG they can count me out, as well as many, many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

I agree. He unified a small collection of TD's in desperate times. Once power appeared in sight the usual happened. Hence the reason FF have been in power 80 years.

What had attracted me to FG has been smothered by a gombeen crew of parish hall politicians, witness that moran shouting up Mayo. If thats the current state of FG they can count me out, as well as many, many others.

Agreed. I like Fine Gael but i shuddered when that fool ran out saying that. Mayo had **** all to do with today and that mentality sickens me about Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭Sand

One has to wonder what impact this will have on his plans for the Seanad. They backed him when his own front bench and the majority of TDs moved against him, and those Senators will be expecting their reward.

Enda's leadership is finished anyway. Missing Richard Bruton, their only star player and perhaps the only opposition politician the people feel can do a better job than Lenihan ( I dont share that view...) in Finance is going to be an albatross around Kenny. Let alone his front bench, more than half of whom worked with him closely and lacked confidence in him. Fianna Fail will use that to beat him with, especially should any of the front bench rebels return.

My view is, feeling vindicated, he'll be approached by some of his supporters and asked to step aside for the good of the party. If not, it will be a Labour led government next time out, possibly in coalition with Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

This thread makes for truly depressing reading :(. And the Irish are supposed to be a sophisticated electorate! Can anybody cite a real, non-bulls**t reason for not voting for FG while Kenny is in charge? And no, lacking charisma or not likely to be a good drinking companion (not true, by all accounts) or not having a good public image do not count as good, or even bad, reasons.
    Seriously, do the people who come out with this pish even think about what nonsense it is? A good reason would be that he has engaged in or facilitated corruption or that he has shown himself incompetent in office or that he lacks experience? In short, is he fit for the job. Pretty much the kind of assessment you would make if you were hiring a plumber.

Whoever said that people in a democracy deserve the politicians they get were bang on the money for Ireland in 2010. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

This is depressing. The only thing holding me back from getting fully behind FG is Kenny and I was hoping this would be the back of him.

I'm going to have to very seriously consider who I'm going to vote for, I want to vote FG but Kenny winning makes me want to not vote for them. The problem is since I don't ever want to vote Labour that leaves me with FF or the Greens. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

a gombeen crew of parish hall politicians,

Yes that is who voted for Enda today, I can't vote for such a party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

lugha wrote: »
    This thread makes for truly depressing reading :(. And the Irish are supposed to be a sophisticated electorate! Can anybody cite a real, non-bulls**t reason for not voting for FG while Kenny is in charge? And no, lacking charisma or not likely to be a good drinking companion (not true, by all accounts) or not having a good public image do not count as good, or even bad, reasons.
    Seriously, do the people who come out with this pish even think about what nonsense it is? A good reason would be that he has engaged in or facilitated corruption or that he has shown himself incompetent in office or that he lacks experience? In short, is he fit for the job. Pretty much the kind of assessment you would make if you were hiring a plumber.

Whoever said that people in a democracy deserve the politicians they get were bang on the money for Ireland in 2010. :(

Kenny's office released a statment from Richard Bruton that Bruton did not approve or agree with. Thats typical of him.

He needed someone to prompt him in an interview showing he has no ideas of his own. He's a puppet, with Phil Hogan pulling the strings. That much is obvious. Is that Taoiseach material? NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

Enda deserves his shot. He has worked extremely hard since he took a job that nobody else wanted to do eight years ago. He has an astonishing election record and literally brought his party from the brink of a PDesque ruination to the strongest position that Fine Gael has been in for yonks!
    He may be a standard orator and behind in the popularity stakes to Gilmore but we all know that Fine Gael will secure more seats than Labour in the next GE.
    It has stunned me that such a collection of top political operatives think that they have a God given right to the lost support from the Government.
    I give you the Celtic/Rangers argument. You are a Celtic supporter and for some reason they become unsupportable! I cant think why but just for this example believe that you cant support them anymore! Now, do Rangers pick up all the ex Celtic support? No. Because they are sworn enemies and it will have to leak to another option. It has nothing to do with leadership. Its to do with the habit of a lifetime.
    The question that political commentators are posing at the moment is that when the curtain is pulled over can people that have stated that they will not vote for Fianna Fail actually vote for Fine Gael or Labour? I think that the question that the electorate will be asking themselves is which one of the two opposition parties do I think can lead us out of this position. Fianna Fail wont even be an issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Enda got his shot in 2007.

Before this whole fiasco he'd shown the inability to:

1) capitalise on a government that is widely seen as destroying the country.

2) to grasp situations and/or convey his thoughts on it. Specifically the economy.

3) to instill faith his front bench that he had the ability to lead their party let alone the country.

4) to stop himself from going on "solo runs"

During this fiasco he and his close followers have now also shown a selfish, "me fein", power hungry streak which unbelievably similar to the FF government which he has rightly chastised.

I'm sure there's plenty more reasons out there but they're some of my reasons why I will not vote for FG while he's in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

And we still thought we were millionaires back then! Enda got as much as he could out of an electorate that were hood winked by Bertie in the GE.
    When I said shot it meant a shot at the top job Taoiseach not a shot at getting in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Can anybody cite a real, non-bulls**t reason for not voting for FG while Kenny is in charge?
    For me, this isn't about Kenny, it's about Fine Gael as a whole. They have a leader who does not have the support of half his party. They currently have no one on the front bench, and I dread to think who Enda will now put in there, given that so many of his top people have said they will not serve under him. These are the people that have formulated FG policy, the policies I agree with. Without them, FG no longer represents what it did last week.

I'm adopting a wait and see approach, but today, no, I would not vote for Fine Gael. It's not because of Kenny, who I've defended vigorously in the past (although admittedly a lot less since January/February). It's because of Bruton, Varadkar, Hayes, etc.

Advertisement