Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Joined it and invited others. I left a comment with a picture I took of traffic last summer (think it took me something like 45 mins to get from Oranmore to the Menlo Park roundabout the evening that photo was taken!). Will check later if I have any more photos to put up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

antoobrien wrote: »
    There has been a facebook page added to get people to show support of the bypass http://www.facebook.com/pages/Support-the-Galway-City-Outer-Bypass/112770645431558

If you're on facebook, register your support, if not tell your friends

I don't want this to sound snarky or to be thought of being against this project, but am I the only person who now despairs when I hear about a Facebook page being setup for this cause or that cause. Has anybody ever heard of a decision being made or reversed because of a Facebook page?

Maybe I should start a Facebook page about being tired of Facebook pages being setup. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Maybe I should start a Facebook page about being tired of Facebook pages being setup.

Why bother - you've already pointed out that it doesn't work!

Can't help but feeling that this project is one that is going to take a long time to deliver. Even if funds are available in the near future (a very big 'if'), the environmental and planning considerations are going to drag on and on. Probably for years. It's really going to impinge on Galways ability to keep growing, and the uncertainty is going to make proper spatial planning very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Jayuu wrote: »
    Has anybody ever heard of a decision being made or reversed because of a Facebook page?
    Aidan1 wrote: »
    Can't help but feeling that this project is one that is going to take a long time to deliver. Even if funds are available in the near future (a very big 'if'), the environmental and planning considerations are going to drag on and on. Probably for years. It's really going to impinge on Galways ability to keep growing, and the uncertainty is going to make proper spatial planning very difficult.

Two very good points, however, if support for initiatives such as the bypass can be shown, maybe we can get the environmentalists to do what they should be doing: helping to ensure that the plans have as little environmental impact as possible (because there's currently untold environmental damage being done by people not being able to get into and out of Galway in a timely manner).

Besides, all we have heard to this point is opposition to the plans, mostly from people outside of Galway (almost totally invalid, they don't have to sit in traffic to get the shopping) or from people who stand to land (which I have some sympathy for, and landowners should be compensated appropriately, but not extortionately, which has happened on other schemes around Galway). So maybe its time for the supporters to register their support and we'll see if (as is my opinion) there many more supporters than objectors to the project.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

TSo maybe its time for the supporters to register their support and we'll see if (as is my opinion) there many more supporters than objectors to the project.

The obvious minimum target is to get more supporters than O Brolcháin did for HIS facebook page which is all green rentacrowd and light on the real Galwegians anyway. Then keep going :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

lg-share-en.gif button1-email.gif
    Supreme Court to hear challenges on Galway City Outer Bypass

Galway Advertiser, May 20, 2010.
    By Kernan Andrews
    Dates have now been confirmed for legal challenges against plans for the Galway City Outer Bypass. The legal challenges will be heard by the Supreme Court.
    The two legal challenges against the plans will come up for mention before the Chief Justice today. The Sweetman versus An Bord Pleanála case will then be heard by the Supreme Court on June 2. The Hands Across the Corrib Ltd versus An Bord Pleanála will be heard on June 10.
    Fianna Fáil Galway West TD Frank Fahey has welcomed the setting of dates for the hearings. He said: “I want to welcome the priority given by the Chief Justice to this case.”

http://www.fiannafail.ie/news/entry/4368/

http://www.galwaynews.ie/13221-supreme-court-refers-bypass-dispute-europe
    The legal battle over the outer city bypass has been referred to Europe.

The Supreme Court has agreed with lawyers for the State and environmentalist Peter Sweetman that clarification should be sought from the European Court of Justice.

Meanwhile Galway drowns in car fumes and loses jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Ah yes, but the bog cotton and the slate are safe for another while. Who gives a damn about Galway people.

Sweetman, O'Brolchain, Gormless, the Galway Labour Party Councillors, "Hands Across the Corrib" (henceforth, Hands Away from my Back Yard) and all their fellow travellers* must be delighted with themselves :mad:

*of course, if they're stuck in Galway traffic, they won't be travelling anywhere too soon!

Meanwhile Galway drowns in car fumes

So true! If you walk up or down Bishop O'Donnell/Seamus Quirke Road you can feel the car fumes in your throat. Not surprising given that there are stationary/very slow moving queues of traffic (spewing out fumes) on this stretch for most of the day. It's apparently worse than secondary cigarette smoke...

The Galway Cycling campaign is not too happy about the very same SQR.

http://www.galwaycycling.org/city-council-to-spend-e6-million-to-slow-down-city-buses/

2 June 2010

The Galway Cycling Campaign has reacted with incredulity to Galway City Council’s latest redesign of the Seamus Quirke/Bishop O’Donnell Road, saying it will lead to increased danger for pedestrians and cyclists and serious inconvenience for public transport users.

As of 2007, the proposed design included an on-road solution for cyclists for the length of the corridor via a 4.5m-wide shared bus/cycle lane. The use of wide bus/cycle lanes is considered international best practice and is endorsed by the Government’s National Cycle Policy Framework. For instance, the Parisien “Mobilien” Bus Rapid Transit System has over 100km of shared bus/cycle lanes.

It has now been revealed that the Galway design has been dramatically changed without stakeholder consultation. The new design will incorporate a reduced bus lane of 3.125m width, and ramped cycle paths that will run alongside pedestrian walkways. Cyclists will be intermittently ramped up and down onto raised cycle paths (some as short as 60–70m) between junctions, and these cycle paths will swerve behind all bus stops along the route.

The ramped cycle paths will not provide cyclists with access to the road on the approach to the Deane (Fort Lorenzo) and Browne (Corrib Park) roundabouts; as a result, cyclists will be forced to become pedestrians at either end of the corridor.

According to the Galway Cycling Campaign, the majority of cyclists will refuse to use the planned cycle paths due to the danger and significant inconvenience they will cause. It is the view of the Campaign that cyclists will stick to the safest and most expedient option and continue to use the shared bus lanes.

With the formerly 4.5m-wide bus/cycle lanes being narrowed to 3.125m, public transport users will face significant inconvenience, as bus drivers will be unable to safely overtake cyclists (current city buses measures 3.1m in width). Through this dramatic redesign, the city council will impose an assumption that at times of traffic congestion, buses will have to travel at cycling speed. The Seamus Quirke/Bishop O Donnell corridor is a vital section of the City Council’s flagship Bus Rapid Transit scheme.

The Cycling Campaign believes that the use of €6 million by the City Council to effectively slow buses down to cycling speed, increase the risk of pedestrian/cyclist collision, and force cyclists to dismount at roundabouts, is a significant waste of limited funds.

• Advertisement

Those cyclists who also have a car and pay motor tax can have a say on the SQR. Those who don't pay any motor tax don't really deserve a say because they're not paying for it in any shape or form :)

KevR,

I dare you to go over to the Psycholing forum, and say that :D

Actually, the reduction of the size of the bus lane gives me some hope. Does this mean that there still be two traffic lanes in each direction, as one would expect on a dual carriageway?.....or, will it be standard Galway traffic "design" where we have to endure two years of excavation and traffic chaos to be left with the original situation i.e. one driving lane in each direction, but with the addition of a 24 hour bus lane (empty for most of the 24 hours).

Millions for something that's not much better than it was in the first place. Eyre Square anyone?

Could they not just build the bloody dual carriageway with two full traffic lanes in each direction? It's not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

KevR wrote: »
    Those cyclists who also have a car and pay motor tax can have a say on the SQR. Those who don't pay any motor tax don't really deserve a say because they're not paying for it in any shape or form :)

Neither are the motorists. That money goes to pay every dole scrounger in the country (and the odd one who cant find a job in fairness also)

<Broken Record> If the money spent on motor tax was all spent on roads, we would all have Dual Carriageways up to our front door </Broken Record>

As a motorist, cyclist and taxpayer I agree with them. Raised cyclepaths should not be allowed for one simple reason, they're treated as extra wide footpaths by pedestrians (the cycle lanes between the quincentenial & ballybane is a very good example of this).

I work in Dublin and advise anyone that is thinking about cycling around Galway to have their heads examined. I was knocked off my bike 3 times in 6 months in Galway, when following the ruls of the road (which unfortunately many cyclists do not do). I've been cycling in Dublin for over 3 years with not even a near miss. And the vast majority of the cycle lanes are on road, either cyclist only or as part of the (originally proposed) wide buslanes that they have in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Many of the serial objectors who are against the by-pass citing the importance of the (extremely common) bog cotton in the area are also against people cutting turf on the extremely plentiful bogs in Galway.
    Now the strange fact is, bog cotton only thrives on bogs that are being harvested.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

I see Peter Sweetman is going on a little jolly to Europe about the GOB according to today's Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I see Peter Sweetman is going on a little jolly to Europe about the GOB according to today's Irish Times.

Amazing how much one determined person can **** things up for the vast majority.:mad:

Frank Fahy has organised a trip along the oroposed route of the bypass for this Saturday. There will be an environmental consultant along to answer question and explain what they plan to do to mitigate the environmental concerns that have been raised. Interestingly he also mentioned the possibility of this reducing carbon emmisions. Anyone interested in joining the trip should fill out the form at this link: http://www.fiannafail.ie/page/m/1363c5c/3375b71c/24454463/585bcdc9/1015963750/VEsF/

Full mail
    Thank you to everyone who came out with me recently to knock on doors and spread the word to get the Galway Outer Bypass moving.

Do you want to learn more about the bypass and the special nature of the land on which it must be built?

Although this project has been in development for a decade now, many people are still unaware of its proposed route.

In response to requests I received at the doors, I'm organising a short field trip along part of the bypass route this Saturday, 26 June. Will you join me?

The reason there have been so many delays on this project is concern over the environmental impact the bypass will have on the area.

That's why an environmental consultant will be present to show the design and graphics of the new Corrib Bridge crossing and the extent of the limestone paving being traversed. He'll explain the stringent efforts that the authorities have made to mitigate the effects of the bypass and the bridge across the Corrib on the surrounding ecosystem.

You can learn more about the lengths that are being taken to preserve the areas of limestone pavement in Menlo. This is, along with the slender bog cotton in Tonabrocky, the subject of the legal challenges against the bypass.

None of us want to see areas of special environmental significance affected by infrastructure projects, but the route the authorities have selected will have the least possible impact on the environment. It will also lower carbon emissions by decreasing the time we spend with our cars' engines running while sitting in traffic.

It's a win-win situation. That's why I'd like you to join me this Saturday and see for yourself:

http://fiannafail.ie/fieldtrip

Thank you,

Frank Fahey, T.D.

Frank Fahy has organised a trip along the oroposed route of the bypass for this Saturday. There will be an environmental consultant along to answer question and explain what they plan to do to mitigate the environmental concerns that have been raised. Interestingly he also mentioned the possibility of this reducing carbon emmisions. Anyone interested in joining the trip should fill out the form at this link: http://www.fiannafail.ie/page/m/1363c5c/3375b71c/24454463/585bcdc9/1015963750/VEsF/

Full mail

This has been moved to Friday at 3.30, I presume he want to go to the hurling on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Wonder if Frank realises that as well as the bypass being in the European courts now its officially been suspended according to the 2010 project tracker??

Might want to stop grabbing for votes Frank and tell the truth. That your government doesnt care about your constituency and never really did. If they did, they'd have made the bypass part of the M6 interurban.

• Advertisement

Might want to stop grabbing for votes Frank
    Might want to email frank and tell him not to bother continuing his campaign to see this through then, if thats what you believe.

As long as someone is actively promoting for this project, i'll repost any information I have no matter what the personal slander - I'm not trying to grab votes for fahy, and I resent being accused of it, even though I understand (did so before I posted the information) that people would take it as such, so give it a rest.

The Galway independent has an article on the trip, same info as in the FF mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its good that someone is campaigning for it, but Frank is doing this just for votes. Under Irish law and the planning process, they could start building the Eastern section. Its been approved. Build the western section once it gets through the courts.

But there is NO REASON why the eastern section cant be built now, except for the lack of money. There is no way the Tralee bypass for instance, should be considered before this.

Either Frank is really stupid and he doesnt know this, or more likely he knows it damn well and is just pandering for votes.

Fred Barry outs Frankeen Faheys lies.

Fred confirms what Fahey already knows. No work has been done on the 'bog cotton' section which was to be redesigned around the bog cotton.

A short recap.

1. Bypass 10 miles long or so, half of it east of the N59 and half west
    2. Section west of N59 has a bit of bog cotton, is refused planning by An Bord P , section east could have proceeded.
    3. Section east of N59 then ends in up Irish Courts then European court over some rocks and a rather large SAC that it clips on the fringe.

What Fred has said is that nothing is or has been done about the WESTERN section, pending the European Court decision which is probably due in 2011 or maybe 2012.

Therefore in 2011 or maybe 2012 the Western Section goes back to Route Selection and then EIS and then CPO, from scratch.

The Eastern section ( irrespective of the court findings) will be on hold while this is going on and even if the EU Court finds that the Eastern section may be built as planned it shall not be built while the NRA meanders through statutory procedures for a year or three...followed by Isaac roaring at a hearing and the EU Court again no doubt.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/14651-legal-delay-threatens-entire-outer-bypass-project
    The Chief Executive of the National Roads Authority has made a staggering admission that it will be “at least several years” before the €320 million Galway City Outer Bypass even reaches the design stages, let alone construction phase.

And there are now fears that the project – which includes a fifth bridge over the Corrib – may never go ahead.

The comments by the roads chief are being seen as an admission by the NRA that the project – which is currently before the European Court of Justice – could now be ‘dead in the water’.

NRA Chief Fred Barry made the remarks in a letter to Deputy Noel Grealish earlier this month, saying: “Given the involvement of the European Court, it will at least be several years before detailed design can commence,” said Mr Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

i had friends up for gael force last weekend and they could not belive the traffic in galway. this by pass needs to be built

Left Athenry at 6pm, got to Westside at 7pm. It only took 12 mins or so to get from Athenry Town Centre to Doughiska (approx 17km); it then took me 48 mins to travel 8km across Galway. No accidents, no traffic lights out of order, no roadworks....just the usual bad traffic. I'm glad I didn't leave Athenry at 5pm because it probably would have taken me an hour and a half!

For those of you who aren't familiar with Galway, 'Westside' is an inner suburb a few km West of the City Centre. Thank god I don't live in one of the outer western suburbs like Barna!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Left Athenry at 6pm, got to Westside at 7pm. It only took 12 mins or so to get from Athenry Town Centre to Doughiska (approx 17km); it then took me 48 mins to travel 8km across Galway. No accidents, no traffic lights out of order, no roadworks....just the usual bad traffic. I'm glad I didn't leave Athenry at 5pm because it probably would have taken me an hour and a half!

For those of you who aren't familiar with Galway, 'Westside' is an inner suburb a few km West of the City Centre. Thank god I don't live in one of the outer western suburbs like Barna!

It use to take me regulary 30-45minutes to get from Ballybrit to Salthill and that's 4years ago! awh well these days I have a 10minute commute in Dublin using the East-link bridge.

dubhthach wrote: »
    It use to take me regulary 30-45minutes to get from Ballybrit to Salthill and that's 4years ago! awh well these days I have a 10minute commute in Dublin using the East-link bridge.

I divide my time between Dublin and Galway.

I remember when Galway people used to be in awe of how awful the traffic was in Dublin. Now Dublin is so much easier to get around than Galway. It's night and day really.

Last Wednesday (middle of the day, not particularly a busy time) I drove from Knocknacarra to the start of the N6 via the Docks and Renmore in approx 55 minutes. That's at a guess, about 8 - 9 k.

I continued from there to the Four Courts on Dublin's Quays in 1 hour and 35 Minutes for about 200k

Many thanks to the Green Party (Unelected, Senator O'Brolchain particularly), Labour Party and the various other NIMBYs in Galway opposed to the bypass. I really enjoyed my snail's pace Galway tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Does anyone have a link to the cost benefit analysis for this bypass?

Thanks,

M

• Advertisement

Mucco wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to the cost benefit analysis for this bypass?

Thanks,

M

Do you need one?

Just see the 4 or 5 posts above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement