Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The M2 has one for a pissant spur that runs to a five-arm roundabout with a bunch of fairly poor S2s, at that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

MYOB wrote: »
    The M2 has one for a pissant spur that runs to a five-arm roundabout with a bunch of fairly poor S2s, at that!

It does , Yahoo Maps are always best for roads :D

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=53.488369&lon=-6.38604&zoom=16

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Just a traffic count from a few years back in case anyone has not seen it. It's from the Wolfe Tone Bridge in the South City Centre; from the year 2004 and backwards. My guess would be that the Wolfe Tone Bridge is the 2nd busiest bridge in Galway, after the Qunicentennial of course. The Salmon Weir is probably 3rd busiest and O'Briens Bridge is the least busy of the four bridges.

https://nraextra.nra.ie/trafficcounterdata/html/R336-01.htm

AADT of between 19,000 and 22,500. No doubt traffic levels have increased since 2004. My guess is that the Quincentennial carries at least twice as much traffic as the Wolfe Tone. Salmon Weir, at the very least 10,000-12,000 and O'Briens 7,000-9,000.
    So possibly more than 85,000 crossing the river everyday. 3 of the bridges are in the City Centre, are quite narrow and have a poor surrounding road network. The Qunicentennial is a bit better although the Galway SC & Menlo Park roundabouts to the East and Seamus Quirke/Bishop O'Donnell to the West cause big problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It does , Yahoo Maps are always best for roads :D

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=53.488369&lon=-6.38604&zoom=16

Don't find it the best, none of the new motorways are on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

KevR wrote: »
    O'Briens Bridge is the least busy of the four bridges.
    In fairness O'Briens Bridge is nowhere near as busy as it was since Shop St. was pedestrianised (10 or so years ago I think).

• Advertisement

There's a lively discussion happening on another thread starting here triggered by an online petition to get the support of the people of Galway for the bypass.

As I write this Dempsey is golfing in Georgia at our expense :(

It appears that my suspicions expressed in this post in january were correct ....but it is much worse than that :(

Basically the government can ask the EU to 'clarify' aspects of law and I was correct in that they go to the Supreme Court and that the Supreme Court sends an Article 267 Referral off to Brussels for clarification. The appeal is to be lodged before the summer and heard in the autumn.

IE the government appear to appeal against themselves, specifically about the Galway City Bypass

The problem is that Dempsey is letting Gormley write the menu. The greens have reamed the case with an enormous series of questions and interpretations of various habitat and strategic environment directives.

The Supreme Court is then expected to send this lot to Brussels in late 2010 and Brussels will sit on them for a year ( or two) while it considers the questions. The Supreme Court will hopefully only send one or two specific questions but Dempsey and Gormley would seemingly like them to send lots so that they can blame Brussels for every imaginable holdup between now and possibly as long as end 2012.

But my understanding is that Dempsey has completely keeled over to Gormley and that the questions put to the Supreme Court for referral will be far more wide ranging than a few grey areas that came up in the planning of the Galway Bypass.

Hopefully the Supreme Court tells Gormley and Dempsey to bugger off on most of these questions :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

The problem is that Dempsey is letting Gormley write the menu. The greens have reamed the case with an enormous series of questions and interpretations of various habitat and strategic environment directives.

BA**ARDS

Hopefully the Supreme Court tells Gormley and Dempsey to bugger off on most of these questions :(

I share your hope, but I wouldn't put money on it.

If anybody knows Grealish tell Grealish to ask this parliamentary question of Gormley.

"Why is the department of the environment bringing a court case against itself to the supreme court on the Galway Bypass and when will this case be heard?"

You could always ask O Brolcháin to ask the exact same question of Gormley in the Seanad :D

SpongeBob,

If it's something you can share, what's your source for this latest info on Gormless and Dempseys' machinations?

Thanks,

C'view

• Advertisement

Frank Fahey sent a long recent letter from Dempsey to Fahey around the FF Cumainn and it leaked. :)

Fair dues to Frankeen. I was never previously a fan, but he seems to be doing his level best with this one. It's a pity that some of the other local TDs and councillors don't step up to the plate on this one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Frank is doing it all purely for his own votes and to impress people into voting but he is the only one actually doing anything remotely positive.

Agreed. He is of course doing it for himself.

But I find his approach less nauseating than the ecomentalists approach who seem to want us to believe that they're doing it all for us :rolleyes:

O'Brolchain (Green Senator) who is vehemently against progress in Galway (as the bog cotton would be damaged by the Bypass - can they not transplant a bit?) now proposes damming the Corrib to create "Green" Energy" (whatever the hell that means). Maybe the bypass could be routed over his dam:D

churchview wrote: »
    Fair dues to Frankeen. I was never previously a fan, but he seems to be doing his level best with this one. It's a pity that some of the other local TDs and councillors don't step up to the plate on this one as well.

Frankeen is pinging letters over and about. That is all. He is not _doing_ anything except transmitting the latest excuses to Galway. The latest excuse is that it will be sent to Europe.

I understand it cannot EVEN go to the Supreme Court until Dermot Ahern changes the practice rules of the Supreme Court or something along those lines. Then the dept of the Environment can take itself to the Supreme Court and flagellate itself in public and hope the Supreme Court takes pity on them and refers to Brussels.

If the Supreme Court refuses....and they are entitled to...Gormley will refer the matter by another means anyway although that is constitutionally fraught and will merely mean that Gormley will spend a year getting 'advice' or some such BS.

Remember that in Irish law they are clear to build the eastern half today from the N59 to the Airport but simply won't find the money to do it !!!! It's just that Dempsey and especially Gormley want to dick around legally in Brussels instead of finding the money and building that part of the bypass.

If the Supreme Court agrees to refer then the matter will lie around Brussels until at least this time next year and probably until after the 2012 election.

Back in Dempseys lap the redesign of the western section in Tonabrocky is progressing splendidly NOT, no new routes are being evaluated at present and no new EIS is being planned. The Bypass is unfunded in 2010.

Tell Frank to tell Dermot Ahern to get the finger out if you see him, that would be a start :)

Right now we are 2 years away from issuing a TENDER on the Galway Bypass and at least 3 years away form diggers a digging. Fact.

Fahey is hoping nobody notices, especially with an election coming up.

Fahey got rid of that website of his http://www.isupportthebypass.com/

Remember that one ??

He is not _doing_ anything except transmitting the latest excuses to Galway. The latest excuse is that it will be sent to Europe.

So is the letter Fahey (or whoever) leaked, just Dempsey's excuses to Fahey. Is Fahey taking him to task on any of these do you know?

churchview wrote: »
    So is the letter Fahey (or whoever) leaked, just Dempsey's excuses to Fahey.

Precisely. Fahey is free to write to Gormley too but never does. Fahey could take a delegation with him to meet Gormley. I am sure 1000's of Galway people would happily give out to Gormley and the greens for being morons were they asked to help.
    Is Fahey taking him to task on any of these do you know?

Nope. At this moment in time Dempsey is free to build the east/north section of the bypass but Fahey is constantly trying to obfuscate that with a 2 step BS exchange between him and Dempsey.

Dempsey funded no work whatsoever on the bypass in 2010 and Fahey is scrambling around trying to hide that and make himself look good too :(

Makes my blood boil!

http://www.galwaynews.ie/12197-chief-justice-speed-hearing-city-bypass

The county council has applied to have hearings expedited to speed up the planning process.

From the article: “No date for hearing has been set, but what he did do is set out a timetable for preparation for the hearing, which allows the appellant lodge books of appeal.

That allows three weeks for the appellants (from mid-March) and a further two weeks for the respondents [the County Council and National Roads Authority].
    (more in the connacht tribune from Thurs 8 April).

Hopefully this will cut out a few months of wrangling and get this where it needs to be - either Europe (where it's likely to go) or on track for development and planning of the western half of the bypass (which ABP rejected).

If I was in charge I'd start building the approved section TOMORROW (money would be found) with the unapproved section starting as soon as is humanly possible (with EIS etc sped up massively and any oral hearings ASAP).

I think if the government got the finger out it would be possible to have the road finished and open by the Ocean Race 2012, but we know THAT wont happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If I was in charge I'd start building the approved section TOMORROW (money would be found) with the unapproved section starting as soon as is humanly possible (with EIS etc sped up massively and any oral hearings ASAP).

I think if the government got the finger out it would be possible to have the road finished and open by the Ocean Race 2012, but we know THAT wont happen.

Considering we only got the expidited N7 widening and Rxxx realingment/Lxxxx resurfacings for the Ryder Cup finished by the thing being delayed an entire year due to 9/11, this, unfortunately, is fantasy in Ireland :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭123easy

I predict the Galway Bypass will be open to traffic in 2022. Apparently Peter Sweetman will be cutting the tape at the opening ceremony flanked by An Taoiseach Frankeen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzemTC_JsGU&feature=player_embedded

Cringeworthy Fianna Fail propaganda but interesting all the same with some City business leaders backing the bypass. The air shots really don't do the nightmare traffic justice either - were clearly filmed at a time when traffic was pretty light. If you use the bird's eye view on Bing Maps you will be able to see the extent of traffic problems on some roads a lot better than the above video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Why are FF campaigning for the bypass? They actually, run the country, don't they?

Its pure vote-grabbing by Fahey.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Furet wrote: »
    Why are FF campaigning for the bypass? They actually, run the country, don't they?

Not really, thats done by the EU now:pac: The money is gonna have come from EDB, maybe theyre campaigning to them!

Furet wrote: »
    Its pure vote-grabbing by Fahey.
    Not really, thats done by the EU now:pac: The money is gonna have come from EDB, maybe theyre campaigning to them!

FF (yes they are the government) are the only party that have attemtped to do anything about this. I've never heard anything from FG, the Greens (O'Brollochain) and Labour have had councilors (the Connolly sisters) and local election candidates (the local an taisce mouthpiece ran in '99) actively opposing the bypass.

It may be votegrabbing but basically this is a call to arms of the people who want to see this happen to silence what, and i agree with this, frankeen believes to be the vocal, millitant, very minor minority of the people of Galway.

Maybe it's time for the the people of galway to take this out of the hands of the politicians. It's been going on for over 10 years and all we've gotten is objections and people claiming cynicism of the government TDs and councilors (who are the only ones i've heard attempting to support this).

http://www.galwaynews.ie/12924-date-set-supreme-court-challenges-outer-city-bypass
    Peter Sweetman's case and a second case by Hands Across the Corrib against An Bord Pleanála will be up for mention before the Chief Justice on Thursday. [20/5]

The Supreme Court will then hear Mr. Sweetman's case on June 2nd and the second case on June 10th.

Hopefully this will get things going where they need to go, even it it only results in it being referred to Europe.

There has been a facebook page added to get people to show support of the bypass http://www.facebook.com/pages/Support-the-Galway-City-Outer-Bypass/112770645431558

If you're on facebook, register your support, if not tell your friends

• Advertisement

antoobrien wrote: »
    There has been a facebook page added to get people to show support of the bypass http://www.facebook.com/pages/Support-the-Galway-City-Outer-Bypass/112770645431558

If you're on facebook, register your support, if not tell your friends

Done and I've sent an invitation to over 100 others.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement