Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

buck65 wrote: »
    Yes Mick has been his old reliable self but missing an inspirational leader like O Connell is a big blow. Let's not forget we are talking about our Lions captain and even though the form is patchy he usually pulls it out of the top drawer for games like this.
    To say that the Biarritz team is very poor like Northampton is wrong on both counts. The Saints tested Munster this year in 3 highly charged frantic encounters, this is a team that have won a Challenge and Powergen cup this year. They are a quality outfit who deserve respect and could win the GP to boot. If you were at any of those games you would have seen how good a side Munster had to overcome.
    Biarritz though not in the French playoffs have had a mixed season where they were top in France for a few weeks before slipping but have rebounded in form and at home (almost) will be very hard to beat.
    And btw i haven't seen Leinster systemically demolished in a big game in a long time.[/QUOTE]

We'll not since wednesday anyway but you could argue that it wasn't that big a game for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I think Leinster have already a home tie secured and travelled to Galway without the intensity needed for a derby game with one eye on the HCup. In short they weren't too bothered about losing and Conacht's hunger probably surprised them a bit.
    Anyway back to Munster. Gleeson and Deasy on the wing doesn't exactly inspire fear. The Ospreys are travelling with their strongest team and probably need the win a bit more.
    Pity Buckley is injured again. Munster have had a tough season of it this year with all their injuries , it might just start to catch up on them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

buck65 wrote: »
    I think Leinster have already a home tie secured and ......

I hope they dont have that attitutude as they might end up getting a surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

TheTMO wrote: »
    If Mick O'Driscoll was a few years younger people would be screaming for him to start for Ireland on the back of his performances this season.
    In fact, and I'm putting my neck out here, I think Munster actually benefit from starting O'Driscoll ahead of O'Connell, I think hes playing a lot better than O'Connell has this season.

Earls is a huge loss but if were honest this Biarritz team is very poor and are more or less of Northamptons level so a heavyweight like Munster should take this one comfortably. Don't want to jinx it but I'll eat my hat if Munster aren't in the final. Whoever wins Toulouse v Leinster will win it... And Leinster aren't going to beat Toulouse. No way in hell. In fact, and I don't want to offend Leinster fans, Leinster are going to be systematically demolished by that Toulouse team.

POC has been a shadow of his former self this season, 10 knock-ons during the 6 nations tells it all, he needs a rest this summer to come back next season in true form.

bamboozle wrote: »
    POC has been a shadow of his former self this season, 10 knock-ons during the 6 nations tells it all, he needs a rest this summer to come back next season in true form.

How many of his own lineouts did he win?

• Advertisement

How many of his own lineouts did he win?

i've no idea, the line out functioned well enough apart from scottish game where is capitulated. there's more to a 2nd row's game than winning lineout ball though. I'm not having a go at him, i think he's just been running on empty this season and needs a break.

bamboozle wrote: »
    i've no idea, the line out functioned well enough apart from scottish game where is capitulated. there's more to a 2nd row's game than winning lineout ball though. I'm not having a go at him, i think he's just been running on empty this season and needs a break.

I'm not having a go at you either but I do think his form or supposed lack of it is being over hyped. POC at 70% is a far better player the MOD. It annoys me that so many of the posters who were outraged that MOD was anywhere near the Irish setup are now claiming he should be starting over POC.

I'm not having a go at you either but I do think his form or supposed lack of it is being over hyped. POC at 70% is a far better player the MOD. It annoys me that so many of the posters who were outraged that MOD was anywhere near the Irish setup are now claiming he should be starting over POC.

i agree with you, POC on the pitch especially for Munster improves team performance, no doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Well given that MOd had a great game against Northampton and POC isn't 100%. Might it be a better option to start Mick and then if needs be introduce POC??

Biarritz will be a real test - the impact of POC coming off the bench could really provide impetus if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Munster A v. Ulster Ravens
    Thomond Park - Saturday K.O. 3:30pm

Munster XV: | Ulster XV:
    Mossy Lawler (Shannon)|David McIlwhaine (Queens University)
    Ronan O'Mahony (Garryowen)|Chris Cochrane (Dungannon)
    Danny Barnes (Dolphin)|Michael Allen (Belfast Harlequins)
    Jeremy Manning (Cork Con)|Johnny Shiels (Queens University)
    Sean Scanlon (UCC)|Tommy Seymour (Ballymena)
    Declan Cusack (Thomond)|James McKinney (Queens University)
    Duncan Williams (Cork Con)|Ian Porter (Queens University)
    |
    Dave Ryan (Dolphin)|Paddy McAllister (Ballynahinch)
    Mike Sherry (Garryowen)|Nigel Brady (Dungannon) (C)
    Stephen Archer (Cork Con)|Declan Fitzpatrick (Dungannon
    Dave Foley (UL Bohs)|Andrew Linton (Queens University)
    Ian Nagle (Cork Con)|Neil McComb (Belfast Harlequins)
    Tommy O'Donnell (UL Bohs)|Ali Birch (Dungannon)
    Eoghan Grace (Shannon)|Stephen Dougall (Malone)
    Peter O'Mahony (Cork Con) (C)|Scott Lavella (Trinity College)
    Munster Replacements:

Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohs), Sean Henry (UL Bohs), Dave O'Callaghan (UCC), Paddy Butler (Shannon), Conor Murray (Garryowen), Mike Kelliher (Richmond), Luke O'Dea (Shannon).

Ulster Replacements:
    Niall Annett (Belfast Harlequins), Paul Karayiannis (Queens University), Neville Magee (Dungannon), Stuart McKenzie (Dungannon), Michael Pyper (Queens University), Luke Marshall (Ballymena), Craig Gilroy (Dungannon).

http://munsterrugby.ie/news/7465.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Why has Mossie Lawler been brought back into the Munster scene? Where's Danny Riordan all of a sudden?

All of our pack (Grace apart I think) has seen ML action at some stage this season.

Should be a good contest. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Out of interest, when did they shift Manning to centre?

Crash wrote: »
    Out of interest, when did they shift Manning to centre?

Out of necessity for this game I suppose, no Gleeson or Deasy available for the A's...

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/7468.php

B&I Cup: Snapshot Look At The 22
    23 April 2010, 4:46 pm
    By Fiona Murphy

Who's who in the Munster 22 - we take a look at the Munster side for the British and Irish Cup semi final against Ulster Ravens in Thomond Park on Saturday April 24th, ko3.30pm.

Dave Ryan (Dolphin) A product of the Munster Academy, he can play tight or loose head prop. Has just returned from an elbow injury sustained at the start of the season. Made his senior debut in the last game of the season in ’09 (Munster v Ospreys), as a replacement for Federico Pucciariello.

Mike Sherry (Garryowen) In year 2 of the academy the former Ireland U19 international had his first taste of Magners League action earlier this season as a replacement against Connacht and Edinburgh. His inclusion on the Munster bench a result of impressive showings for this British & Irish Cup squad.

Stephen Archer (Cork Con) In his final year of the Munster Academy, he’s played at Schools and Under 20 international level and won his first senior cap off the bench in October ’09 (Edinburgh v Munster), before starting against Ulster the following week.

Dave Foley (UL Bohs) Learned his rugby with Clonmel RFC. In his second year with the Munster Academy and a regular on the B&I cup side in their run to the semi. Made his senior debut last week in the Sportsground coming on for Nick Williams.

Ian Nagle (Cork Con) From Buttevant in Co Cork the former Glenstal Abbey pupil has represented Ireland at U19 & U20 level. The Academy player made his first start for the senior XV as a replacement last month in the game against Dragons at Rodney Parade.

Tommy O’Donnell (Clanwilliam) First played at international level with Ireland (Youth) and subsequently at U20 level, he has won 12 caps since making his debut in September 2007 and was voted 2009 Munster Rugby Academy Player of the Year.

Eoghan Grace (Shannon) The Shannon flanker returned to Munster action against Esher last week, after picking up an injury in Munster’s A interprovincial win over Connacht in Thomond Park in February. A former Ireland U20 international, he was part of the Ireland Sevens side that competed in the 2009 Dubai Sevens.

Peter O’Mahony (Cork Con) Current Academy player, from Rochestown in Cork he’s a former Ireland Under 20 international captain who made his senior competitive debut as a 70th minute replacement in the Magners League tie against Ulster in January.

Duncan Williams (Cork Con) Cork born former Schools and Under 21 Irish international has emerged through the Munster Academy and Development squad this season. Won the first of his four senior caps against Connacht in Thomond Park in December.

Declan Cusack (Thomond) From the Thomond club in Limerick the outhalf was offered a training contract with Munster at the start of the year and after impressing in the B&I Cup made his first start for the senior XV against Connacht last Sunday.

Sean Scanlon (UCC) The full back/wing featured on the Ireland Club XV against England Counties and Scotland Clubs earlier this year. The past pupil of Crescent Comprehensive College has played at international level with Ireland U19s.

Jeremy Manning (Cork Con) Capped 49 times at senior level since joining Munster in September 2005, he has represented Ireland at Student level. Has scored 137 points for Munster playing at out-half or full back.

Danny Barnes (Dolphin) A first year academy player born in New Zealand and a product of the youths system with Tralee RFC, he has represented Ireland U20s in the Junior World Cup in Japan last summer. Caught the eye in early season matches and won his first competitive cap last Sunday against Connacht.

Ronan O’Mahony (Garryowen) Featured in the pre-season games and most of this season’s A games. The winger/fullback has been involved with the sub academy for the last two seasons.

Mossy Lawler (Shannon) The veteran of the side having won 69 caps for Munster and also spent time with London Wasps after seven seasons with Munster. He’s a former Ireland Under 21 and A international and current captain of Shannon.

Replacements:

Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohs) The loose head prop made it onto the bench for Munster’s Magners League clash against Ulster in Thomond Park in October.

Sean Henry (UL Bohs) Originally from Sligo, Sean has captained this season's UL Bohs side and featured in several of the B&I Cups games.

Dave O’Callaghan (UCC) In his first year of the academy Dave was part of the Ireland U20s winning 6 Nations side and will feature in his second Junior World Cup this June.

Paddy Butler (Shannon) The number 8 impressed throughout this year’s Ireland U20s 6 Nations campaign and will also join O’Callaghan in Argentina for the Junior World Cup.

Conor Murray (Garryowen) Made a short appearance against Connacht when he came on as a blood replacement for Peter Stringer. Also made the bench against Cardiff Blues at the end of last season.

Mike Kelliher (Richmond) The sub academy centre impressed at Munster U20s level and is the only representative playing Junior club rugby.

Luke O’Dea (Shannon) The former Ireland Youths fullback has been quiet this year with injury but made a welcome return to action against Esher last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

What age is Mossy Lawler?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

2040 wrote: »
    What age is Mossy Lawler?
    He will be 31 in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

You sure? going by this he just turned 30. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mossie_Lawler

though by the fact that they spell his name wrong I wouldnt be surprised if its wrong.

Crash wrote: »
    You sure? going by this he just turned 30. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mossie_Lawler

though by the fact that they spell his name wrong I wouldnt be surprised if its wrong.
    Took it from here.

http://www.wasps.co.uk/playerdisplaySS.ink?playertype=P&seasonl=2008/2009&SportStatSquadID=126501

• Registered Users Posts: 23,731 ✭✭✭✭phog

Free Car Flags from MRSC :D:D

FREE CAR FLAGS - ROLL OUT THE RED on 29 Apr 2010

Help support the team by turning the Province Red.

If you are near Thomond Park Stadium or the Munster Rugby Offices on Tramore Road Cork please call in and collect free Car Flags and lend your support in the build up to next Sunday's Heineken Cup Semi-Final.

Filed by
    J. Kiernan
    26/04/2010

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GAA_PUNTER

Munster Rugby have just released their official Free Iphone application for the Rugby club. The App contains News, Fixtures, Media including video and photos from the club amongst a host of other features including a competition button where they will have stunning prizes every week. This weeks prize is two free tickets and flights for the Match this weekend against Biarritz.

More Details on http://wp.me/pFM7o-3Uo

• Advertisement

It needs the 3.1.2 software update to work. Mine is jailbroken with 3.0 so I can't be bothered updating.
    Let us know if it is any good.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

According to the back of tonights Evening Echo, O Connell will miss the game on Sunday, and may not play again this season

According to the back of tonights Evening Echo, O Connell will miss the game on Sunday, and may not play again this season

That has crossed my mind, wouldn't surprise me if it's true. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭shawpower

O'Connell ruled out of Semi Final.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2010/0428/1224269243624.html

When Munster coach Tony McGahan names his squad for the Heineken Cup semi-final against Biarritz later this afternoon, the name of Paul O’Connell will be conspicuous by its absence. The Munster captain has been ruled out after failing to recover from a groin strain.

O’Connell hasn’t played since the Six Nations and has been unable to train for the last three weeks. He will travel with the squad to northern Spain – Sunday’s match will take place across the French border in San Sebastian – but will not be available for selection.

McGahan will announce his squad this lunchtime with Doug Howlett, Ian Dowling, Nick Williams and Keith Earls all likely to be included.

Biarritz have injury problems of their own with Damien Traille already ruled out while a question mark hangs over the involvement of their inspirational leader Imanol Harinordoquy.

Munster Squad

Fowards:
    Marcus Horan, Tony Buckley, Julien Brugnaut, John Hayes, Damien Varley, Jerry Flannery, Mick O'Driscoll, Billy Holland, Donncha O'Callaghan, Alan Quinlan, David Wallace, Nick Williams, James Coughlan, Niall Ronan.

Backs:
    Tomas O'Leary, Peter Stringer, Ronan O'Gara, Paul Warwick, Lifeimi Mafi, Jean de Villiers, Tom Gleeson, Doug Howlett, Denis Hurley, Ian Dowling, Keith Earls, Scott Deasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

all bar o'connell ruled in. good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Team I'd like to see:

1.Horan
    2.Flannery
    3.Hayes
    4.DOC
    5.MOD
    6.Quinlan
    7.Wallace
    8.Coughlan

9.TOL
    10.ROG
    11.Mafi
    12.JdV
    13.Earls
    14.Howlett
    15.Warwick

16.Varley
    17.Buckley
    18.Brugnaut
    19.Holland
    20.Williams
    21.Stringer
    22.Hurley
    23.Deasy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

"Welcome Munster Rugby" from Inaki Laskurain, President of the Rugby Federation of the Province of Gipuzkoa

Five years and one month since your last visit. Five years and one month during which time Munster Rugby has dwelled at the highest levels of European rugby. In doing so Munster rugby has defined pride of a province, a cultural identity, and a way of understanding life and the sport of rugby: The Munster way. And during these past 5 years, the Munster Academy, UCC, Shannon, and most recently Tralee and other teams and clubs from Ireland have also enjoyed firsthand the Basque spirit and "craic".

Your first visit in 2005 was the first major event of international rugby to take place in the southern Basque Country, where soccer is king. That weekend changed many minds. Prior to that event, the obsession with soccer and even animosity to rugby among some caused Donostia to miss out on proposals to organize similar events. (One exception being June 6, 1998 when the Barbarian selection of the north and southern Basque Country*, "Euskarians", inaugurated Anoeta Stadium for rugby, playing a friendly match against the province of Ulster, with some 6000 spirited local spectators).
    After your wonderful visit in 2005 (team and fans alike!) everything changed and much of the old antagonism toward rugby has since faded away. In its place has risen an eagerness to learn about rugby and to become a part of that special community called rugby supporters. For that I say "cheers Munster"!

Today, Donostia, Gipuzkoa, all of the Basque Country, and in particular, my entire family (my father-in-law is a Kerryman and we spend many Summer holidays in Caherdaniel between Freddy’s and the Blind Piper,) look forward to having the honour of welcoming and accompanying the incomparable Red Army and the extraordinary boys in red.

Your visit also coincides with an exceptional moment for us. This year the Rugby Federation of the province of Gipuzkoa, of which I am president, will celebrate its 50th anniversary. Fifty years ago, a pair of crazy adventurers, Mr. Almirall and Mr. Odriozola, who had known rugby in their student days in Spain, decided to bring this fantastic sport to the Basque Country. Later, with the help of French Basque rugby greats such as Gerard Murillo (who Tony Ward, Fergus Slattery, Moss Keane, Mike Gibson, etc, had the pleasure of knowing and learning from in the 70s and early 80s), rugby grew and has come to occupy an important place in the hearts of many Basques like myself.

Today Gipuzkoa rugby is in the same debate that Irish rugby was in the end of the 20th century; at a crossroads between professionalism and amateurism, between club level and provincial level, battling to be seen and valued in a society dominated by other sports. We are greatly inspired by what Irish rugby has achieved in the past decade and we are dedicated to following the example set by Ireland and Munster. Perhaps one day you will even see the Basque Country in international competition!

I cannot end without sending a big hello to Donncha O'Callaghan, Peter Stringer, Paul O'Connell and Antony Foley, as well as Brian O’Brian, Niall O’Donovan, staff and management members; “The boss” Garret Fitzgerald, Bryan Murphy, Jerry Holland, Jack Kiely, Pat Geraghty and Co. And of course a special salute to the great Quinnie. I, as a former back row, understand the dark art of being a Flanker. Like a great wine...you only get better with age. You are all a reference for my children, Cormac and Killian.

So, from Munster supporter number 14875 .... C'mon MUNSTER !!!!!

On behalf of the Gipuzkoa Rugby Federation and the people of Gipuzkoa ...

Céad míle fáilte!
    Slàinte!

Iñaki Laskurain

Brilliant message from Mr. Laskurian.

Risteard wrote: »
    Team I'd like to see:

1.Horan
    2.Flannery
    3.Hayes
    4.DOC
    5.MOD
    6.Quinlan
    7.Wallace
    8.Coughlan

9.TOL
    10.ROG
    11.Mafi
    12.JdV
    13.Earls
    14.Howlett
    15.Warwick

16.Varley
    17.Buckley
    18.Brugnaut
    19.Holland
    20.Williams
    21.Stringer
    22.Hurley
    23.Deasy

It fairly picks itself at this stage. If Harinordoquy is missing I'd start Williams for his power. Coughlan is the better defender though

• Advertisement

Well flagged. I'm more thankful that the rest are back. O Driscoll has covered admirably. There is enough experience in the side not to need O' Connnell's leadership on the pitch.
    I'd agree with the above selection. Hurley, Stringer & Buckley can all make telling contributions off the bench.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement