Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M17 Gort-Tuam motorway or Claregalway bypass?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

MYOB wrote: »
    converting the Ballyshannon/Bundoran BP to 2+2 and patching the tiny gap (aka Leitrim :p) in between these two.

I would like to know when the NRA are going to start upgrading routes from WS2 to 2+2.

I reckon they should release a target for some of the routes anyway if they are going ahead with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

tech2 wrote: »
    I agree. The N21 from Newcastle West to the junction with the M20 has a lot of AADT on it. It's a pity there's no traffic counter from NCW to Adare. I've driven this road a lot recently and it needs to be upgraded to 2+2 at the very least. South of NCW drops to about 10k so WS2 would be good for there but it's gonna be 2+2 as well.

Did the N4 outside Sligo warrant standard dual? Towns like Tralee are similar in size and need some short bit of dual near them also.

The Adare bypass should be starting immediately in 2010 along with the Northern section of M20, Newlands cross, Claregalway bypass,

Then rest of the routes can get in line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

tech2 wrote: »
    I would like to know when the NRA are going to start upgrading routes from WS2 to 2+2.

I reckon they should release a target for some of the routes anyway if they are going ahead with it.

I'd expect them to be done when adjoining schemes are being built, mostly. There isn't actually that much WS2 suitable to be upgraded, only stuff built to new alignments generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭urranger

What is the latest with the Gort / Crusheen By Pass?
    When is it due to open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

urranger wrote: »
    What is the latest with the Gort / Crusheen By Pass?
    When is it due to open?

2 to 3 overbridges open to traffic, due to open Summer this year.

See here:

M18 Ennis to Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

serfboard wrote: »
    Instead of campaigning in favour of a Claregalway relief road, why not campaign in favour of better public transport into Galway - in particular into the industrial estates - and more bus lanes in Galway.

That won't prevent trucks having to use narrow country roads to bypass Claregalway in order to save anything between 5 & 40 mins just to get from Loughgeorge to the traffic lights in the village.

After the accident last Thursday (http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0428/crash.html, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055896880) this has to be brought onto the agenda or people will die. It's a miracle that we aren't talking about having possibly a dozen funerals in Galway over this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

If you are driving on a National primary road and some one drives out in front of you the same thing happens as did last week. The people driving these cars that think a truck that is 40 times the weight of their can can stop dead in 100 metres are the problem here. You do realise those roads are not just used as shortcuts, there is a quarry down that direction, some factories, deliveries and a plethora of other reasons why they could be down that road.

That crash happened during the day as well so your point is unfounded. Secondly they have as much point to use the road as anyone else as they have their taxes paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

If you are driving on a National primary road and some one drives out in front of you the same thing happens as did last week. The people driving these cars that think a truck that is 40 times the weight of their can can stop dead in 100 metres are the problem here. You do realise those roads are not just used as shortcuts, there is a quarry down that direction, some factories, deliveries and a plethora of other reasons why they could be down that road.

That crash happened during the day as well so your point is unfounded. Secondly they have as much point to use the road as anyone else as they have their taxes paid.

a) the school is not an N road, it's on a well known 'rat run' around claregalway (yes I know it well, I avoid it because it's too narrow for the traffic that uses it). It is an L road and not a particulary good one
    b) there were several cars badly belonging to parents waiting to collect their children. These children were held back a few minutes.

from the article you obviously didn't read:
    There were dramatic scenes in Galway this afternoon when a truck crashed into a row of cars outside a primary school.

The accident happened just as parents were arriving at Cregmore National School, a short distance from Galway Airport, to collect their children.

Five people, including two children and a grandmother, were taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.

The truck crashed through a wall into the pick-up area of the school and the force of the collision resulted in an 11 car pile-up.

School principal Joe Kennelly said it was extremely lucky that nobody was injured.

He said parents and teachers pulled children out of the path of the oncoming truck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I am well aware of where this happened, the cause of that crash was someone pulled out in front of a truck, this happens on all types of road be they N, R, L roads etc this is my point. Are you implying that all trucks should be banned from these roads just because this happened.

Trucks are as entitled to use these roads as anyone else unless there is a restriction put on them. You seem to be of the opinion that every truck on these roads is using them as a shortcut. You may not be aware that the guy that owned the truck lives just down past the school.

How about you point the finger at the car that caused the accident, have you forgotten about the driver that pulled out in front of a vehicle and caused the crash which may have killed kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Reviving this just because...

Based on the current vibe im getting from Leo V, i would guess that the CG bypass on its own would get built, thus a sticking plaster (Enfield/Kinnegad style) until economy back off its arse.

Anyone agree?

Advertisement