Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Think I need to take a couple of weeks off of running, and re-adjust my short term goals,

I've said that myself - yet still I've no intention of doing it, I think we both had similar goals for the start of 2010 - a fast Barca and get around the Conn Ultra course. Took a lot out of me mentally moreso than physically I think(which was probably more down to panic stations before Barca) but just can't bring myself to bring the mileage down yet. Still want to do Dingle Ultra myself which kind of puts the whole take it easy during the summer and work on shorter distances thing right out the window...

Hope the calf is OK, we have races to pace in Limerick next weekend. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,501 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Last night: An enjoyable hilly 10 miles on the bike
    Giving the calf a well-earned rest. As I panted and struggled on the steep uphill to Carrigologan, hundreds of mountain bikers passed me, screaming and yelping in delight on the steep down-hill (it's all just a question of perspectives). I had just missed an MTB race up in my neck of the woods. I don't think my skinny wheels would be up for the job anyway. Still, anything that reduces a group of grown men to giggling children must be good! Bike is going well again, but I need to get a nasty buckle on the rear wheel fixed.

Summary: 10 hilly miles on the bike, in 41 mins, @23km/hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Still, anything that reduces a group of grown men to giggling children must be good! QUOTE]

lol :D

Today: 6.2 Miles at Limerick marathon pace.
    A nice chilled relaxing run, with some killer tunes, over an old familiar route, that seemed more pleasant, without the threat of a looming race. Limerick pace feels nice and recovery'ish, after a couple of months of tough races. Plan is to do the remaining 20 miles tomorrow morning, to cover the marathon distance at pacing pace.

Summary: 6.2 miles in 48 mins @7:47/mile, HR=143

Today: 19 Mile Historic Trail long Run
    Plan was to run 20 miles, at Limerick pace to make sure I was capable of pacing the 3:30 group in the marathon next week, after some calf trouble from the Connemarathon left me in some doubt. I decided that seeing as I wasn't running at optimal pace, I might as well do something a little different, so I put together a list of ancient historic features (standing stones, ancient crosses, wedge tombs) in the area from Megalithomania and assembled a 20 mile route in Mapsource, and set off with the plan to combine a few interests (Running, GPS, visiting historic sites and photography) and set about taking piccies of the various features.

The good news is I made it to all of the planned sites, took some nice pictures, and completed the run without any trouble from the calf muscles, so Thunderbirds are go! A bit of complaint from my groin, and IT band, but nothing too troubling. I pulled up at 19 miles, as there was little to be accomplished in running a further mile around my local park. It was a great way to spend a few hours. So if you find you're long run is getting a bit repetitive, visit the site, and then visit the sites. Will post piccies tomorrow. Gotta go to partaaaayyyy..

Summary: 19.4 miles in 2:26, @7:39/mile (ok, I didn't quite manage Limerick pace!), HR=143

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Good stuff, glad to hear the legs held up ok, you put them through the mills! See you in Limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

Glad the calf held up Krusty - although at that pace are you sure you don't want to take on the 3:15 group;)

See you next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭TakeaBowSon

Krusty, was that you running up the Ballycorus road on Saturday morning at about 11am?I was the "runner" in the red top!

Yep, that was me! But there were three runners on the road at the same time. Were you the runner who turned back at the top of the hill, giving the arms a good old swing?! If you squint, you might see yourself in this picture! I was taking some photos on my 19 mile loop. I love that stretch of road. Good tarmac, gentle uphill, country air. Not sure how well you know the area, but there are some fab running roads just around the corner, between Heronford Lane, Puck's Castle, Mine Hill Road and the road down to Cherry Wood. Spoiled rotten we are!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭TakeaBowSon

Yep, that was me! But there were three runners on the road at the same time. Were you the runner who turned back at the top of the hill, giving the arms a good old swing?! If you squint, you might see yourself in this picture! I was taking some photos on my 19 mile loop. I love that stretch of road. Good tarmac, gentle uphill, country air. Not sure how well you know the area, but there are some fab running roads just around the corner, between Heronford Lane, Puck's Castle, Mine Hill Road and the road down to Cherry Wood. Spoiled rotten we are!

That was probably me or else my running mate who stretched out ahead of me towards the end of our run - that was around mile 17 and I was struggling!!Yeah thats a great road but further on the path disappears and I have nearly met my maker a few times with cars flying around bends!But I agree some great running roads around...

• Advertisement

Today: Had promised to take my youngest swimming, so only had a window of 30 minutes to get a run in, so hit the park in my new light Mizunos and a running cap I picked up during the week, and immediately started running at close to marathon pace, and didn't really slow down. 4 Miles at 6:45/mile with no warm up or down really isn't smart, but I was in the mood for running fast. And it was seriously hot. Cap didn't work out, it's already been aquired by one of the kids. I'm just not a hat person, so that's the Death Valley ultra scrubbed off the list, but thankfully the Mizunos felt light and fast. Nice to run with Beepbeep for a stretch, who's just on the back of a planes, trains and automobiles trip from Amsterdam.

Finished off with a 50 minute swim, that consisted of a few lengths, but mostly just lolling around in the pool.

Summary: 4.2 miles in 28 mins, @6:44/mile, HR=156

Today: New Limerick pace target today, so set off to do 10k at the new pace to see what it felt like. Motored along comfortably enough, if a little too fast. I've agreed to pace the first half, but would hope to pace the whole thing. At worst, I'll rip off my pacer stuff, and tottle along to the finish.

Summary: 6.1 miles in 44 mins, @7:11, HR=151 (which is a little high for my liking).

Today: Just an easy 4 mile recovery run on the grass. Day off tomorrow, and probably no run on Friday either. A bit of rest before the marathon this weekend is probably in order.
    Summary: 4 miles in 30 mins, @7:31, HR=140

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

I have to say I enjoyed that historical photo tour of the historical sites.... you would make for a good tour rep, doing running tours of Dublin.

Best of luck with the pacing at the weekend.

Thanks! I tried to do a guided tour of Dublin for an Australian runner, when I was pacing the Dublin City Marathon.
    Here.....<wheeze>..... is........<puff>......the......<pant>.....GPO.....<groan>.....

I took a couple of days off, to make sure I had recovered fully from the previous week's 20 mile run. On the morning of the run I managed a small breakfast with Lecheile, before throwing on the gear, and heading to the marathon start line a little too late for Amadeus' comfort (given the stressed look on his face!). A nice chat with the other pacers (most of whom I knew already, which was cool), and then I tied on the balloons (for the first time *cough*), and walked the twenty feet to the empty starting corral. While there, I was chatting to a few of the locals and runners, handing out some pacing bands, and explaining my strategy, when one of the lads tapped me on the shoulder and pointed skyward. I looked up to see some idiot's balloons, disappearing over the cityscape. Sadly, that idiot turned out to be me, as the balloons made a sneaky getaway as soon as my back was turned.

I looked over at the glaring faces on the steps of the race HQ building, and spied the Spin 1038 girls mounting a wreath of balloons on a railing. Seeing my distress, the girls came to my rescue, and I securely tied a couple of new balloons to my shoulder. Unfortunately they were non-helium balloons, so I ended up carrying them, until one of them burst, and the other started to give me blisters and was ejected at mile 22.

The race gun went off, and within about 3 seconds we were over the start line. After an over-quick start, I settled back into target pace, and started to chat with those around me. Met a guy I ran with in the Connemarathon a few weeks back, who was targeting 3:45 (but thankfully had discarded the cut-off denim jeans and cotton T for this race!). I advised him of the risks of running with me at 3:15 pace, given his 3:45 target, and after a few minutes of chat, he settled back a bit, dropping off the pace a little (he went on to finish in 3:20, for a massive PB!).

The first 5 miles passed in a breeze, as I chatted and joked with the group that had formed around me (approximately 12-15 runners, with another 5-10 trailing behind). We headed alongside UL, on one of a number of loopbacks, that I thought added a lot to the race, as you got to see the leading pack in action, but also your brother pacers, and give them a friendly holler. Along the river, things got a little narrower, but we got into the habit of looking after each other, and offering a shout of 'bollard', 'rock', 'narrow bridge' and even a few 'low flying pigeons'.

Everybody was delighted to hit the 10 mile mark bang on the pace (I was shouting out our deltas from the target pace at every mile, so it was usually 10-30 ahead of pace). Lots of shouts of encouragement. As we headed back into the city, and the midway point, one of my balloons decided that it had (understandably) spent enough time nestled in my armpit and self-imploded with a dramatic pop. Left with only one balloon crossing the half way point, my brother pacer who was to join me at that point didn't see me, and neither did I see him, so I was forced to push on, with the realization that I had no choice but to go the distance at this stage. There would be no backing out.

Shortly afterwards, we headed out into the country. Green fields and forests broken only by the occasional house that would have impressed the Ewings of South Fork. The crew was motoring well at this stage, but the chit chat had all but dissappeared, except for the conversations I would have with the occasional runner who found the energy and need to share a few words. We picked up a few stragglers from Mick's sub-3 group, but their backwards journey was only beginning, and more often than not, they continued their journey of decline. A brief chat with another Connemara ultra runner who hadn't fully recovered from the race three weeks ago, before he too drifted off the pace (but happily finished as another 3:2x runner).

Mile 20+ is when things started to go wrong for the individuals in my pace group. We encountered a few hills, and the wind had picked up, and the group which previously had been shaped like an arrow, was now forming into a line as each runner ducked behind one another, with me at point. By mile 23, the line had stretched so long that I could no longer see the runners at the back. So around 5 of us made the journey through the alleyways and gates, past the lying fishermen (go straight, go left, go right), and made a few nervous turns, with no marshalls about to tell us which way we should be going. Eventually we arrived back out on the road, where the traffic cones signaled the way forward. Chatting to this guy, he revealed that today was his 25th birthday, so I was glad that at mile 26 he pushed on for a fantastic PB. For the next three miles the pace picked up a little as I missed a mile marker, and the guys picked up their pace as they got closer to their goal.

Hitting mile 26, the roars from Limerick city might convince you (if only briefly) that you're one of the mighty munster men, getting ready to line up against Biarritz. I left the other runners in the capable hands of my pacer buddy who had caught up with me at around mile 23, and slowed to see if there were any more marathon runners I could provoke into a last hard push, but looking back two blocks, I could see no-one. With the crowd roaring me forward, I had little choice but to step over the finish line in 3:13:11.

After picking up my medal, water and space blanket, those I had helped along the way came back to offer their thanks, which made the 26 mile journey worthwhile. I hung around the finish area, and greeted all the guys I had run with over the first 20 miles, congratulating them on achieving their respective PBs (the best being 68 minutes!), and exchanging happy back-slaps and handshakes, the relief of crossing the finish-line being very palpable.

As soon as I stopped moving my groin seized up, so I was greatful that it had the decency to hold off until my responsiblites had been discharged. A chat with the other pacers who all managed to meet their goals, and I hobbled my way back to the hotel, into a hot bath, and dosed myself liberally with a muscle rub I was greatful to be trying out. I'm not sure if it was the alcohol or the rub, but after several very enjoyable pints with the Boards pacers I was walking pretty freely again, so no long term damage done. Rest and recovery for a couple of weeks, without any specific goals other than getting ready for the Wicklow Way relay.

Some observations:
    • My heart rate was substantially higher than the first 26 miles of my recent ultra run (at the same pace), and the same as my recent 2:55 marathon PB, so the repeated marathon distance runs are definitely taking their toll. Hats off (as always) to Hunnymonster taking on her new Malin/Mizen challenge. Days like this really put it into perspective.
    • Carrying balloons under your arm for 22 miles is a pain in the a$$.
    • Not many marathon runners achieve the lofty goals they set themselves. Very often they come close, and just miss the mark by a small margin.
    • Running the last 385 yards over the finish line on your own, with a pacing sign on your back is a long, lonely journey.
    • Tie your balloons firmly, and then tie them again... And again.... and again....
    • Limerick is a city of great spirit, warm people and obvious charms, and I hope to return soon.
    • Running a 3:15 pacing marathon is substantially tougher than running a 3:30, so it's definitely a good idea to have back-up pacers/options.
    • The Boards guys are a great bunch of people with whom sharing stories over a couple of beers is a great pleasure, and an experience I hope to repeat over many more races.

Summary: 26.3 miles in 3:13:10, @7:20/mile, HR=152

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done again Krusty...
    I see you have also worked on that racing line...only 26.3m ran...impressive

What pacing group are you heading up in Cork ?
    or have you knocked that on the head,i think i saw your name on the spring marathon thread to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

and heading to the marathon start line a little too late for Amadeus' comfort (given the stressed look on his face!)

If you thought that was stressed looking you should have seen me when I found out that the car hadn't turned up to collect the half pacers...

Great report as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done Krusty. Hats off to you, you did it again. The only thing for it is to get some of those balloons for your training runs and practice knot tying!

Ha! Don't talk about racing lines and Limerick in the same sentence! What we thought was the race line painted on the road the day before the race was covered in traffic cones the following day. My watch measured it long by about 150 meters, but it's difficult to tell exactly how/where the original course was measured. We may have unintentionally cut corners at some points, and ran long at others.

Not so sure about Cork. Going to have to see how the recovery goes, and how the family would feel about another disappearance. We have a Junior cert student in the house too, so it's not very timely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

great pacing and race report Krusty

running the whole mararthon too like, some going !

did the other pacer fall in somewhere at end ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Not so sure about Cork. Going to have to see how the recovery goes, and how the family would feel about another disappearance. We have a Junior cert student in the house too, so it's not very timely!

Totally understandable...and in fairness your having a good run of it ( pardon the pun )....

tisnotover wrote: »
    great pacing and race report Krusty

running the whole mararthon too like, some going !

did the other pacer fall in somewhere at end ?
    Oh yeah. My plan was always to run the full thing, and t'other pacer (sorry if you're reading - your name was stored in brain-cells that were subsequently drowned in a sea of beer bubbles) was expecting me in 1:37 after the race started, but in fact I came through in 1:36, and we managed to completely miss each other. He started at 1:37 (not sure if he knew the race started late), and over the course of 10-11 miles, he made his way forward until we ran together, to close to the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Great job Krusty - you've clocked up some amount of 'race' miles so far this year!

Well done Krusty. Hats off to you, you did it again. The only thing for it is to get some of those balloons for your training runs and practice knot tying!
    LOL. I wouldn't last very long, running around Shankill with balloons tied to my waist! Knots are for boy-scouts. There should be people to do that sort of thing for you. Capable people, who can also do their own shoes. Not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Well done!
    Don't know how you do it. I am still in bits 3 weeks after Connemara.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Another great report Krusty! I can help out with the knot tying, it'll just have to be before the race starts and you blaze away from me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Well done today kc.

Obviously because I haven't been logging in here, I didn't realize you have a 2:55 marathon pb. That's amazing man, and well deserved having gone so close to sub3 last year. I'm gonna go delving into your log now to find that race report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Easy know you didnt spend 13.1 miles avoiding half runners. 26.53 for me bud:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Peckham

Am seriously impressed with how much running you've gotten through since Barcelona. I'm struggling to get out the door post-London, and couldn't even contemplate doing what you've done!

Advertisement