Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

eliwallach wrote: »
    If you like Krusty, I can sneak up behind you at the start in Berlin and "lay you out" (as we used to say) with a thump to the back of the head. I'll make good my escape before you realise what's happening.
    That should set you up nicely with all the rage & anger you'll need to carry you 26.2 miles. :rolleyes:
    As tempting as this offer is, I think the withdrawal of alcohol (and other fun unhealthy products) for 4-6 weeks may provide sufficient rage levels to see me over the distance (as long as said unhealthy products are waiting for me at the end). So, maybe you could be waiting at the finish line with a brandy and a cigar for me instead? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

maybe you could be waiting at the finish line :)

Waiting at the finish line......
    Good one Krusty :D.

Tonight: 8x400m @ mile pace
    Ugh. Did I mention I hate 400m intervals? Well tonight was no different. Decided to try doing them in a straight line on the grass/gravel, instead of loops on the tarmac, but of course there was a headwind in one direction, so every second one was a bit slower.

Intervals: 76/79/75/80/75/78/75/79
    Average pace: 5:11 / Average HR=155
    Average time: 77 (consistent with last week).

Summary: 7 miles in 52 mins, with intervals, HR=151

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Tonight: 8x400m @ mile pace
    Ugh. Did I mention I hate 400m intervals? Well tonight was no different. Decided to try doing them in a straight line on the grass/gravel, instead of loops on the tarmac, but of course there was a headwind in one direction, so every second one was a bit slower.

Intervals: 76/79/75/80/75/78/75/79
    Average pace: 5:11 / Average HR=155
    Average time: 77 (consistent with last week).

Summary: 7 miles in 52 mins, with intervals, HR=151

:eek: 248 max HR in your first mile :D I guess your AV Hr was a bit lower than advertised.
    I see you take walking break in between intervals. I am going to be doing a similar session next monday (hoping for 90seconds/400m) haven't done them in a while but would usually jog 200m. Are they as beneficial when you walk?

menoscemo wrote: »
    :eek: 248 max HR in your first mile :D I guess your AV Hr was a bit lower than advertised.
    I see you take walking break in between intervals. I am going to be doing a similar session next monday (hoping for 90seconds/400m) haven't done them in a while but would usually jog 200m. Are they as beneficial when you walk?
    I started with jogging between intervals, but wasn't recovering enough before the next one, so switched to walking. I think I went too fast in yesterday's run, which impacted today's run. That, and I really hate 400m intervals! 1 mile intervals are a breeze by comparison!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

^ I find what works for me is to walk the first 50mts directly after the rep and then jog the 150 into the next rep.
    If you can make it to Charlesland by 5:45 on Tuesdays you're welcome to join myself and a few others as we'll be hitting 400's at about the same pace for the next 4 - 6 weeks.

Tonight: 5 Mile recovery run, @7:30/mile, HR monitor totally screwed up, showing some really high HRs for the first three miles. Average was probably closer to 137. Park was jammed, until I got down to the bottom fields, where I met my mum trotting around, with arms swinging like a red-army solider. She's old enough for the bus-pass, but she really puts me to shame with the amount of exercise she gets every week. :)

Summary: 5 miles in 37 mins, @7:28'ish, HR=anyone's guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    ^ I find what works for me is to walk the first 50mts directly after the rep and then jog the 150 into the next rep.
    If you can make it to Charlesland by 5:45 on Tuesdays you're welcome to join myself and a few others as we'll be hitting 400's at about the same pace for the next 4 - 6 weeks.

Intervals hmmmm: Two things that make intervals easier for me would be 400's as they are over fairly quick and Charlesland. I need to get there soon, hope ye wouldn't mind someone like me to tag along :rolleyes:

Today: Hill repeats 4 x1km @100m climb
    Hot day to be climbing hills, but what else would you be doing on a Friday evening? Enjoyed the session again this week, even if the last 200m of every climb was very tough, with the sun beating down as I crested the hills, and billions of midgets (of the flying variety) assaulting me on the jog back down the hill. 4 repeats wasn't too bad, but 5 next week will be a big ask. The elevation chart can only be described as Madonna-like.

HRepeats.jpg
    Maybe they're paying off, as these were on average 15 seconds faster than last weeks hill climbs. Easy/rest day tomorrow, and will try and to a hill run on Sunday (either the half marathon plod route, or WW relay leg 1).

Summary: 8 miles in 1:04, @8:01, HR=149

Today: 5 mile recovery run
    On a day like today, 5 miles just isn't enough. You just want to keep on going and going. But it's a recovery run, yesterday was tough and tomorrow should be hard'ish so better to reign it in. Even the billions of flies around the park couldn't dampen the good mood.

Summary: 5 miles in 38 mins, @7:41/mile.

Tomorrow: Planning another 'recce of WW Relay Leg1, and will probably run back to Enniskerry/home, if anyone fancies an easy paced hill run.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You'll never guess what I bought today. Reversy Percys I thought of you when I saw them and couldn't resist purchasing them. :D

You'll never guess what I bought today. Reversy Percys I thought of you when I saw them and couldn't resist purchasing them. :D
    :D I've always enjoyed them as a sweet, but as an energy food, you have to blame thank this lunatic guy. Didn't work for me in Connemara, but I was delighted to chew on them afterwards :)

Today: Another 'recce of the WW Relay Leg 1
    As the boss drove me up towards Kimashogue Forest, I started to get nervous as the sun was really beating down (poor Jo!), but relay day could be very hot too, so I figured I might as well suck it up. Headed off, and immediately started suffering on the uphill climb in the heat. Persisted with a couple of walking breaks up as far as the turn-off for Fairy Castle, before picking up the pace again. Was almost glad to hit the road, but even then, the heart rate didn't drop, and the pace wasn't even that fast (7:06 for that mile). Really wasn't looking forward to the next climb, as Friday's hill repeats were most definitely still in the legs, and I was drenched with sweat from the effort and the heat. Again a few walks were needed in the mid-day sun, before I picked up the pace as I crested the hill.

After passing the initial tough descent, I picked up the pace on the fire-road, and finished well, with the pace over the final 0.6 miles at 5:37/mile. So a little faster than the last 'recce, but not much. Perhaps with the earlier start, less beers the day before, less heat and less hill repeats in the legs, I'll be able to take a couple more minutes off the run.

After cooling down and stretching, I had an easy run back to Enniskerry, to add an additional 3 miles to today's effort. Absolutely shagged now! Killed another mp3 player. This one was drowned in sweat (what an awful way to go) bringing my total to two dead mp3 players so far this year.

Summary: 11.6 miles in total, average HR=156

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Fair dues to you. Commitment to the cause.

Fair dues to you. Commitment to the cause.
    I should be committed, running up and down bloody hills. I mean I can understand it when you're going some place nice, but to run up a hill only to run back down again, and up and down, up and down and up and down.... Bloody stupid...

Yesterday: 3 mile recovery run in the park, nice and easy, just cos I missed my swim session.
    Tonight: 5 mile tempo run, with two easy miles to start, two quicker miles, and a mile warm-down. Average pace: 6:53/mile, time=34 mins, HR=147

Tonight: 7 Mile run with 9x400m intervals @1 mile pace
    Seems futile posting anything today, as all training pales into insignificance in comparison to Jo's other-worldly efforts, but anyway, actually enjoyed todays intervals for a change. Came 'out of the blocks' a little slower, and tried to run them more comfortably, and finished them more comfortably and was far less wrecked during recovery, so solid result.

Intervals: 74/78/77/76/79/78/78/79/76
    Average interval pace: 5:11

Summary: 7.1 miles in 49 mins, Average HR=154

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Seems futile posting anything today, as all training pales into insignificance in comparison to Jo's other-worldly efforts, but anyway, actually enjoyed todays intervals for a change. Came 'out of the blocks' a little slower, and tried to run them more comfortably, and finished them more comfortably and was far less wrecked during recovery, so solid result.

Good interval session Krusty, similar to what I was doing last week. Keep up the good work

You should try a couple of short races (3k or 2M) - I think you might surprise yourself!

You should try a couple of short races (3k or 2M) - I think you might surprise yourself!
    Do they make them that short? :)

I did enjoy the one 5k race I ran (MSB Paddy's Day 2009). Wouldn't mind trying another one, but they seem quite few and far between. I have around three weeks before marathon training starts afresh, so I must try and get some races in for the craic.

Do they make them that short? :)

I did enjoy the one 5k race I ran (MSB Paddy's Day 2009). Wouldn't mind trying another one, but they seem quite few and far between. I have around three weeks before marathon training starts afresh, so I must try and get some races in for the craic.
    ;)
    29/05 Donore Summer 5k
    02/06 Graded meet 4 - 3k
    02/06 Mulligar Harriers - 5k
    17/06 Trinity Track - 3k
    20/06 Tommy Lynam - 5k
    22/06 Raheny Round 2 - 2M
    23/06 Graded meet 5 - 5k

• Advertisement

;)
    29/05 Donore Summer 5k
    02/06 Graded meet 4 - 3k
    02/06 Mulligar Harriers - 5k
    17/06 Trinity Track - 3k
    20/06 Tommy Lynam - 5k
    22/06 Raheny Round 2 - 2M
    23/06 Graded meet 5 - 5k
    See, ^they^ just sound threatening... I'm already intimidated just looking at the names of the races!

Yesterday: 6 Mile recovery run - Ran too far and too fast for the day after my interval session, but after a frustrating day in work, running fast seems like the only remedy. Started slow, but finished with a fast (but gentle) uphill climb.

Summary: 6 miles in 44 mins, @7:23/mile, HR=134

Tonight: Another frustrating day, and felt a bit too tired for hill repeats (and after all the feedback on my hill repeats thread, I'm not sure if my original strategy was a good one) so just headed for a loop around (and up over) Carrigologan hill. Glad to say that the hill climb felt a lot easier less hard than previous visits, and made it to the top of the hill comfortably enough, while the thought of walking never entered my mind (so maybe the hill repeats aren't all that bad). Enjoyed the fast run down the trail (technical by my standards!) before finishing with 5k in just over 18 minutes (very hill assisted :)). Legs (and the rest of me) very tired now, so a rest day planned for tomorrow.

Summary: 8 miles in 56 mins, @7:03/mile, HR=151

Today: 4.5 Mile recovery run on the wet grass in Shanganagh Park. Nice chilled run on the soft grass after last night's rain. HRM was screwed up completely, registering HRs way above my max, throughout the run. Odd.

Summary: 4.5 miles in 34 mins, @7:35/mile, HR=probably around 135

Home yet? :D

Ah yeah. Home a while. Just out of a very unpleasant but totally necessary ice bath. :) Nice run, but was a bit of a struggle from Crone Wood. I should have brought a gel or something, just for the extra kick of energy. First long run of the new season out of the way!

Fair play to you. Won't be surprised if you run leg 2 on the day, as a warm down to leg 1 ;)

Today: Met up with Magnet, SJ and Abhainn in Curtlestown for a Recce of Leg 2 for the upcoming relay race. It's always a pleasant change to do a hill run with good company, as you get to suffer together and enjoy the views. We set off at a nice comfortable pace, and after a couple of miles Abhainn and SJ started to flex their collective muscles so I hung back a bit with Magnet and enjoyed the chat, occasionally pushing on up the hill climbs. Fantastic views as always along this stretch of the Wicklow Way, meeting up with the guys at several landmarks along the way.

Before the run I had toyed with the idea of running back along the leg as I thought it was only around 7 miles, but by the time we reached car-park overlooking the beautiful Lough Tay, the Garmin had registered 9.2 miles or something similar, so I was a little more reluctant. But when you've done all that climbing work it seems a little unfair that you don't get to enjoy the down-hills, so after stealing some of SJ's water, I headed back along the trail. The climb up to the Djouce turn off was grand, and I took it at a nice handy pace. At one stage I hit a stone with my right foot which tore a gash in my left ankle,which would've been fine, had I not accidentally kicked the wound a few times for good measure.

Down to crone Wood felt nice and comfortable, but after that the tiredness and lack of water/sugar started to kick in. I hiked up the remaining hills, picking up the pace on the flats, and took a couple of short breaks in the heat, and in the end was very happy to see Curtlestown car park, and the drink that awaited me in the boot of my car! HR monitor again was totally screwed up, registering 208+ and gentle descents down the hills. Getting a bit pissed off with it at this stage.

So first long run of the new season and it was a toughie but a goodie. Always a pleasure to meet and run with these nice lads and lassies.

Summary: 18.58 miles in 2:54, HR=148 (at a guess).

Today: 50 Minute tempo run
    Took a rest day yesterday in favour of some creamy recovery pints of Guinness (needed the iron), and after a long day in work wasn't too enthusiastic about today's tempo run, but a good route and a good strategy makes all the difference. I've failed miserably at these tempo runs for the last couple of weeks so decided I'd start with an 8 min/mile, then 7:45, 7:30, 7:00, 6:30, before pulling back and warming down. Didn't entirely go to plan, but was structured a hell of a lot better than previous attempts: 7:48/7:32/7:22/6:21/5:55/7:04/7:00.

Next week I'll try not to run as fast, but maintain a couple of miles around the 6:10 mark.

Summary: 7:42 miles in 51 mins, @6:59/mile, HR=149

• Advertisement

Today:10x400m @mile pace
    Not sure whether it was the long run on Sunday, yesterday's tempo run, the humidity or another tiring day in work, but this interval session was harder than previous weeks and it proved a little difficult to hit the right numbers, with a higher heart rate. But most important, it's done. You can't have it all your own way.

Intervals: 77/79/79/81/77/78/78/77/78/78 (average:78)
    Average HR=166

Summary: 7.3 miles, in 50 mins, @6:50/mile, HR=164

Advertisement