Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Fair play to you krusty thats great running, always enjoy reading your race reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Never mind the race, let us in on your pub secret :mad: Oh, great run and report btw :)
    If I told you where that pub was, it would be closed down. Suffice to say, it only opens it doors at 11:30pm in the evening and doesn't close until around 2:30am. They only have two beers on tap: Guinness and Smithwicks, for which they will charge you €3.55 for the privilege of a pint. They serve food, as long as you class macaroon bars as a food. The pub's proprietor is in his late 80s, and it is rumored that as soon as he dies, the place will be closed down, as it does not satisfy any health and safety regulations. The pub was last painted (a nice beige colour) long before the smoking ban. The walls of the pub are now a nice mellow brown colour. The gentlemen's facilities are outside in a separate building, where you can opt between pee'ing in the toilet, or against the wall, or on many occasions, both in the same visit. The only indication that a pub exists in this location is a Guinness sign hanging off of the chimney. People with foreign accents will not be served, unless introduced by someone 'local'. A foreigner is anyone who lives outside a three mile radius of the pub. Approximately twice a year, a secret gathering will take place in the pub, for which invitations are only delivered in spoken hushed tones. The secret gathering will include: A teacher, a priest, a farmer, a plumber, an electrician, and anyone else who has earned the respect of this motley crew. Once assembled and suitably warmed up, songs and tunes that owe their roots to ancient chieftains of old can be heard interspersed wit the songs from a more modern era, from artists like Mary Black, Christy Moore, and Bono. The Gardai are welcome to enter as long as they can play a musical instrument. the secret pub's name shall not be spoken in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Great report Krusty and absolutely awe inspiring running. When you passed me you looked like you were out for a walk in the park rather than having just run 34ish miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Cool report and cool running Krusty : Did none of it hurt ? ....looking for something that tells me a regular plodder can do this ....at some stage .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

1st class report and riveting read as usual KC. Your staying powers despite not doing ultra specific training is unreal. 5.15 in a 1st ultra is amazing and shows that you are capable of more given the right route / conditions.

• Advertisement

Did none of it hurt ? ....looking for something that tells me a regular plodder can do this ....at some stage .
    Sure of course it did, but not until I crossed the 26 mile threshold. After that stage, it was quicker to keep heading to the finish line, rather than heading back to the start. :) Of course a plodder can do it, didn't I just prove that? However, it takes an extraordinary runner to run it well. Check out Abhainn's race report!

Your staying powers despite not doing ultra specific training is unreal. 5.15 in a 1st ultra is amazing and shows that you are capable of more given the right route / conditions.
    Two hours for the final 13.1 miles speaks otherwise (though it is just 8 minutes slower than my first ever Connemara half). Would you not give it a try? I'd say you'd be well suited.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Would I consider an ultra?
    I think my OH would have something to say about that. I've no such plans, but you can never say never I suppose.

A fab picture by the mighty Daniel Kowalczyk, of me and the fellow runner I started the race with (17 marathons so far this year).

Would I consider an ultra?
    I think my OH would have something to say about that. I've no such plans, but you can never say never I suppose.
    Do what I do. Pretend (*cough*) to be as annoying as possible, until eventually they'll be glad of a couple of hours of peace and quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice bash at a first Ultra KC! Good report too, some of these reports need to be shipped over to the creative writing forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

savage stuff krusty the thoughts of running 39.3 miles is unbelievably daunting. not sure if you mentioned it elsewhere but how id you OH get on? if i remember rightly she was doing the half. did she say never again or want more?

Thanks Kenny. I passed her around mile 7 but she went on to finish comfortably. She was seized with cramps after crossing the finish line, and would like to make it known, that if anyone on Boards was among the gentry-folk who helped her alleviate aforementioned cramps while she lay prone and writhing on the ground, she is eternally grateful!

This was her second half (after the Adidas half in Dublin in '09) and was slightly slower, which is to be expected given the heat and hills. She's doing the 'Great' Ireland 10k next week (and my daughter is doing the junior run), and has signed up for Berlin marathon, which makes my job of persuading her that 'a holiday in Berlin in September would be a great idea' that much easier! It was she who first started this running lark, a couple of years ago with a commitment to train for the wimin's mini marathon. I followed suit (albeit not for the wimin's mini marathon), but was not following for very long as my obsession quickly surpassed her own. There are four of us in the family, all participating in different sports, so the washing machine is on an endless cycle of washing sports gear.

Yesterday: 7.5 Mile cycle to stretch the legs. First bit of exercise since Sunday's race. Taking it very handy, learning from previous mistakes.

Today: 4 mile ultra slow run (see what I did there?!) with the OH. Calf which had been bothering me seems fine, but my hamstrings/IT bands are still pretty sore from all the leg lifts last Sunday, but making good recovery progress. No fast running for at least another week.
    Summary: 4 miles in 39 mins, @9:51/mile, HR=116!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Summary: 4 miles in 39 mins, @9:51/mile, HR=116!

My HR gets higher than that while yawning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Fantastic report Krusty & an even better performance. Well done. You must be well pleased.

Loved your description of the pub above. Classic!

My HR gets higher than that while yawning :)
    Mine is steadily higher in work. Despite being a desk jockey, I think a day in the office is like an all-day tempo session!

pgibbo wrote: »
    Loved your description of the pub above. Classic!
    The really funny thing is, not one word of it is untrue! While enjoying a pint, I sometimes wonder if I've been transported into Flann O'Brien's pub in The Third Policeman. Thankfully, visits are restricted to when I'm in that part of the country, which is about every 8-10 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

It was she who first started this running lark, a couple of years ago with a commitment to train for the wimin's mini marathon. I followed suit (albeit not for the wimin's mini marathon), but was not following for very long as my obsession quickly surpassed her own.

I nearly died when my boyfriend rang me the other day to say he went for a 20 minute run around the park – I wouldn’t say he’s ever even run for the bus. He better not surpass me!

claralara wrote: »
    I nearly died when my boyfriend rang me the other day to say he went for a 20 minute run around the park – I wouldn’t say he’s ever even run for the bus. He better not surpass me!
    Weigh him down with fantastic meals, lots of cold beer, creamy cakes, and let him watch football matches on TV. It'll drive him nuts. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Another great run Krusty and matching report to boot. Sounded tough going in the last 13 miles. Well done on the ultra and also on the PB in Barcelona. Fantastic stuff.

• Advertisement

Hmm... A bit lazy recently, and not much running:

5 Mile Aerobic run on the grass in Shanganagh Park, in 37 minutes, @7:31/mile, HR=141.

Nice Easy two hour hike around my hills, with my two favourite ladies.

10 Mile Hilly Cycle: set out just to try and adjust the gears, so they're no longer slipping, and stayed out for a good hilly climb (problems seems to be solved (thanks to youtube bike mechanics!)).

13.1 Mile run around the southside riviera: Missed my long run yesterday due to work and hangovers, so set out to do it today. Was gliding effortlessly, cruising up Killiney Hill, and back down the other side, feeling great and enjoying the views of the night sky reflected across the sea, when the calf muscle (which troubled me greatly over the last few miles in Connemara) decided to bunch up again. No amount of kneading or stretching would see it sorted, so 6 miles from home had to do a compromised shuffle back to the house. It doesn't feel badly injured, just strained and overworked. Think I need to take a couple of weeks off of running, and re-adjust my short term goals, before I get a repeat of last year's 2-3 month absence. I'll wait and see what the physio says, but looks like it could be bike and swim for a while.
    Summary: 13 sore miles in 1:37, @7:35/mile, HR=140.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Yer some man for one man alright! The thought of running anything over 26.2miles scares the living daylights outta me!! Fair play though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

I'll wait and see what the physio says, but looks like it could be bike and swim for a while.

Sorry to hear about your calf.:(

But welcome to the world of tri, When's your first one?:P

If I could swim more than 33m without having to stop for a break, I would be signing up for the next available sprint on the calendar! Do any beginners take a break every 50m for a breather (he asked hopefully)?! I must plan another open-water swim in the wet-suit real soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Think I need to take a couple of weeks off of running, and re-adjust my short term goals, before I get a repeat of last year's 2-3 month absence. I'll wait and see what the physio says, but looks like it could be bike and swim for a while.
    Summary: 13 sore miles in 1:37, @7:35/mile, HR=140.
    Smart move you have had a very busy last number of months,I dont know how you do it marathons and ultra too must take it out of you, a couple of week of now is better then a few months down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Just catching up Krusty and you put me to shame, big congrats to how you've started the year, I wish I had just a small slice of your discipline, not a lot to ask for really :D
    Enjoy the break, I put leg 3 up on the private forum, well most of it, stupid garmin stalled on the last mile

Woddle wrote: »
    Just catching up Krusty and you put me to shame, big congrats to how you've started the year, I wish I had just a small slice of your discipline, not a lot to ask for really :D
    Enjoy the break, I put leg 3 up on the private forum, well most of it, stupid garmin stalled on the last mile
    Thanks Woddle. It's been a great start to the year all right, with three performances I was very happy with. I'm comfortable enough with easing off for a short while (until the 28th June), before kicking everything off again for Berlin in September. I presume there's no chance of you going back there this year? Too many children! The good news is they grow up eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

KC, sorry to hear about the calf. have the exact same problem myself - so like you im stuck to the bike. enjoy it for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Thanks Woddle. It's been a great start to the year all right, with three performances I was very happy with. I'm comfortable enough with easing off for a short while (until the 28th June), before kicking everything off again for Berlin in September. I presume there's no chance of you going back there this year? Too many children! The good news is they grow up eventually!

I wish I was doing Berlin but having paid for Rotterdam and not running it I thought it best to go with Dublin. Also I wish I could use the kids as an excuse but my wife is still on maternity leave and the kids are so good, so in other words I'm a lazy ...:D

• Advertisement

Think I need to take a couple of weeks off of running
    Woddle wrote: »
    I wish I had just a small slice of your discipline
    shels4ever wrote:
    Smart move
    Yeah, Well...So... That didn't happen. No smartness or discipline here. Went for a swim on Tuesday, and did a few lengths. Nothing strenuous. By Wednesday morning, I felt nothing in the calf at all (the lady doth protest too much).

So when I got home after work, I hit the park for an easy 5 mile run before the physio. I didn't realize I had the watch on average pace instead of lap pace (since the ultra in Connemara) so ended up running these miles way too fast, but they felt comfortable, and still no twinge from the calf. Mr physio made me writhe in the usual agony, and managed a brief more general sports massage too, which has left my quite tender, but optimistic of making it to Limerick in 9 days time for marathon pacing duties. I will do a long run this weekend at Pacing pace (7:48/mile) and use that to determine if I am up for the job.

Summary: 5 miles in 35 mins, @7:01/mile, HR=148.

Advertisement