Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Hi Krusty,

Good to meet you over the weekend. The flickr photos that you linked to are taken by a friend of a friend. I had never seen his work, but I think those photos are very good, I especially like the way they show the background as a streak. Makes the photo full of movement - you look really fast!! Thanks for the link.

PS My balloon also got whisked away by the wind, despite my many years in the scouts!

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

Knots are for boy-scouts.

Plenty of time for the next one Krusty - can i suggest a round turn and two half hitches as being the most suitable for this particular job....

http://www.animatedknots.com/roundturn/index.php

Maybe this is the sort of things that can be incorporated into post race drinks events.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Peckham wrote: »
    Am seriously impressed with how much running you've gotten through since Barcelona. I'm struggling to get out the door post-London, and couldn't even contemplate doing what you've done!
    Thanks, but I'm beginning to feel it in the legs at this stage, so it's time to back-off on the endurance for a little while. Plan for the next few weeks is:
    This week: rest and recovery - just cycling and swimming until the weekend, then I'm considering doing a 'reccy of leg1 of the WW relay (very slow).

Next week: kick off 7 weeks of 10k training, to get the body re-conditioned in time to kick off the next round of training, and also provide some much needed speed-stimulus for the WW relay.

28th June: Kick off my 12 weeks of marathon training. Haven't decided exactly what kind of plan to follow, but you can be sure it will be a P&D-based program, with slightly longer long runs, that finish at PMP or faster.

Knot skills: I plan to spend three hours per day practicing, starting with my shoe laces, and working up to ribbons. Some day I hope to emulate Lecheile's significant achievements in this field, but until then, I can only dream.

Macanri wrote: »
    Hi Krusty,

Good to meet you over the weekend. The flickr photos that you linked to are taken by a friend of a friend. I had never seen his work, but I think those photos are very good, I especially like the way they show the background as a streak. Makes the photo full of movement - you look really fast!! Thanks for the link.

PS My balloon also got whisked away by the wind, despite my many years in the scouts!
    Hey, it was good to meet you too. Daniel took some superb photos from the Connemarathon as well. Well worth a look if you have a spare minute. The guy's got real talent (and generosity!).

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

excellent work Krusty, great report and well done on the pacing!

• Advertisement

MarieC wrote: »
    excellent work Krusty, great report and well done on the pacing!
    Congrats yourself! I only saw you for a second as you went by in the Boards singlet. It really is great to have some familiar singlets to look out for during a race, in the sea of unfamiliar running tops! Really enjoyed your race report. You'll kill any 10k you run, in a few weeks time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

All the pro's kept both balloons fully inflated and attached right to the end. :cool:

All the pro's kept both balloons fully inflated and attached right to the end. :cool:
    Again with the balloon fixation! Freud would have a great time! I reckon if you crossed the finish line with both balloons intact, you just weren't running fast enough. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Again with the balloon fixation! Freud would have a great time! I reckon if you crossed the finish line with both balloons intact, you just weren't running fast enough. :)

I wanted to run faster, indeed, I tried once or twice, then my fellow pacer(who finished balloonless) called me on it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I wanted to run faster, indeed, I tried once or twice, then my fellow pacer(who finished balloonless) called me on it. :pac:

I lost my first at mile 2 of a stop sign. The other of a thorny bush at about 11 miles. I had to carry the second 1 for about 5 miles after mine and pauls baloonsgot tangled just after 10k. Not a good baloon day:-)

• Advertisement

This Evening:
    10 Mile hilly run over one of my regular running routes (in reverse), followed by an easy two mile run, just to stretch the legs and move the recovery along.

Summary: 10 mile cycle in 41 mins, @14.7mph, and 2 miles @8min/mile.

Myself and earlyevening are planning on doing a 'recce of Leg1 of the Wicklow Way Relay route on Saturday morning, at 11:30'ish, if anyone fancies a run?

The leg runs from Kilmashogue Car Park to Curtlestown Wood and is approximately 14kms. We can work out some car-pool logistics, if anyone's interested. Pace will be slow, with the two of us planning to have equivalent hangovers, and post-marathon tired sore legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Myself and earlyevening are planning on doing a 'recce of Leg1 of the Wicklow Way Relay route on Saturday morning, at 11:30'ish, if anyone fancies a run?

The leg runs from Kilmashogue Car Park to Curtlestown Wood and is approximately 14kms. We can work out some car-pool logistics, if anyone's interested. Pace will be slow, with the two of us planning to have equivalent hangovers, and post-marathon tired sore legs.

I may join you if that's cool. I've been roped into doing this, I hate the hills and last time I ran this leg I got lost and cracked 2 ribs :o

I may join you if that's cool. I've been roped into doing this, I hate the hills and last time I ran this leg I got lost and cracked 2 ribs :o

More than welcome (though there are no guarantees that you won't get lost again!). You did read the intentional emphasis on the word 'slow' though, right?!

More than welcome (though there are no guarantees that you won't get lost again!). You did read the intentional emphasis on the word 'slow' though, right?!

I did indeed, the slower the better :).

I'll let you know tomorrow if I can make it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

My heart rate was substantially higher than the first 26 miles of my recent ultra run (at the same pace), and the same as my recent 2:55 marathon PB, so the repeated marathon distance runs are definitely taking their toll.2

Fair play to you for taking on a pacing job after Barca and Connemara. You'd be more than entitled to put your feet up (so to speak).

Can I ask you about the heart rate comment above. I have a new found interest in heart rate having never paid attention to it. I've seen a few people talk about HR being the earliest sigh of trouble. If I understand you you suggesting that the residual fatigue showed up first in higher effort to keep up the pace rather than the usual "heavy" leg ?

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Can I ask you about the heart rate comment above. I have a new found interest in heart rate having never paid attention to it. I've seen a few people talk about HR being the earliest sigh of trouble. If I understand you you suggesting that the residual fatigue showed up first in higher effort to keep up the pace rather than the usual "heavy" leg ?
    Yes, absolutely. Though the higher HR may have had more to do with beer-related fatigue on the Thursday and Friday nights, and less to do with Connemara and Barcelona. Also I think that eventually, the lack of speed-work and marathon-specific training catches up with you. So while I reckon I could still throw one out there in 3:30, hitting 3:15 would be just that little bit more difficult as the weeks progress (as it's a little closer to PMP). At the end of the day, it's still 3+ hours on your feet, at 7:22/mile, so a sizeable amount of effort is still required, even if it's well within your marathon pace and Lactate Threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done on your latest pacing adventure. If you've recovered somewhat by next week the imra race in Tibradden is a goody. The climbs are not too steep and the views of the city are fantastic.

Thanks SJ. Would love to do it, but getting out of work on time these days is the big issue. At least it seems to be on the right side of Dublin to get to from work. Will definitely see if I can make it.

Today: 10k Tempo run
    Can't remember whether I set off planning to do a recovery run, or an aerobic run, but I do remember the plans was to do 4 miles. I guess the body does what the body wants. Picked it up after the second mile, and slowed down after the fifth, so certainly a tempo-like run. Still a bit of stiffness in the quads, and one of the tendons in my foot. Hoping a liberal dose of zum will sort everything out (I think I'm addicted to the smell).

Summary: 10k in 43 mins, @7:04, HR=149

Hi KC

Sorry for the late post but I won't make the recce tomorrow. Think I'm racing instead :)

Cheers

• Advertisement

Hi KC

Sorry for the late post but I won't make the recce tomorrow. Think I'm racing instead :)

Cheers
    No bother. Hope the race went well. Come say hello before the start of the relay.

Today: Recce' of the Wicklow Way relay - Leg 1
    A little hungover from celebrating a buddies birthday last night, running this leg of the Wicklow Way relay was the perfect antidote (doesn't mean I'll be drinking the night before the race!). I met earlyevening in the car-park, and after a brief uphill warm-up, we set off. I can definitely see the value of carrying out a trial run, as I would most certainly have missed the right turn, which is a lot earlier than the way I would typically have hiked when following the Wicklow Way. We took the hills nice and handy, and it worked out well, as the pace was consistent, and there were no walking breaks! By the time we topped the first hill, the hangover had cleared, and I really enjoyed the rest of the run, and the chat along the way.

I'm still torn between trainers and trail shoes. There were a few sections where trail shoes would have come in handy, but for the most part it was running shoe-friendly. The finishing gate came all too quickly, and I'm glad to say I should be able to run a good bit quicker on race day. Still might run another practise run over the coming weeks, just to be sure, to be sure. I'm feeling the pressure of being the first runner!

Summary: 8.6 miles in 1:16, @8:50/mile, HR=155

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Well done guys, great to get that early recce in.

The road section is a bit of a drag, isn't it? Always happy to get off it back onto the trails.

Well done guys, great to get that early recce in.

The road section is a bit of a drag, isn't it? Always happy to get off it back onto the trails.
    Huh? Whatnow? The road is the best part! No annoying fantastic views, to spoil a good run.

You're welcome to join the rest of us on recces further south of leg 1, which probably falls off the edge of any map you have :D

You're welcome to join the rest of us on recces further south of leg 1, which probably falls off the edge of any map you have :D
    What's a map?!

:D Touchee.

Today: 11 Mile aerobic run, around the country lanes of Cabinteely and Carrickmines. Lovely day for a run, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite a bit of stiffness/tiredness in the legs. Finished with a mile at 10k pace (5:52), which always feels good to be covering the ground quickly. At one stage I was being battered by millions of insects, so was glad to have the sun-glasses and the mouth closed. I hate summer. Bring on winter. :D

Summary: 11.3 miles in 1:20, @7:07, HR=152

Today: 3 Mile aerobic run (well, it was in the plan!) followed by a 50 minute swim, where I made some good progress on the lengths.

Summary: 3 miles in 21 mins, @7@04/mile, HR=152 + swim.

Today: 40 minute tempo run
    Ugh. I had forgotten just how much I dislike 10k training,and it's only day 2! It's kind of hard to enjoy the environment when you're puffing and panting. Misjudged the pace a little, and hit my peak around mile 4 instead of 4.5. The rain, when it finally arrived, came as quite a relief and a pleasant diversion. Intervals tomorrow.

Summary: 6 miles in 41 mins, @6:54/mile, HR=149

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Are you following any particular program?
    I don't know whether I would do a tempo and interval session back to back. I would try and maximise the recovery between them?

Advertisement