Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Shepherd Convent Dunboyne

• 22-10-2009 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

My son is twenty this week. It has been two decades since I spent my pregnancy in the Good Shepherd Mother and baby home in Dunboyne. My son is with me and we have not had an easy life but a good life "together". I always think of all the girls who were there in dunboyne spending their preganacy with me. All the babies given up for adoption, where are they now, the heart ache and loss of the Mam's and the waiting for contact over these years.

I think of the letters we had to write to our babies, newly born at the time and the cries in the "after hospital room" from us mothers for the loss of our children.

If any of you are reading this, I have not forgotten and for every milestone I reach with my son, I think of you and hope that one day you will be reunited.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 marybridget86

Things have changed a lot in twenty years especially , in terms of attitudes and support. Hopefully people will take comfort from your kind words.
    Thanks Marybridget86 .

• Registered Users Posts: 3 HarryJD

Hey Mazdoll,

I just seen your post. Mt name is HarryJD and my birth mother was in the home too. I was wondering if you could talk or email with me a bit and share your opinions on the home with me. I believe if I get an idea on what it was like and how it was run, etc. it will help me.

I hope you will. Either way, please let me know :-)

Thanks,

Harry J.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MaryMagdalene

Hi Harry, what is your DOB? I had a girl so no fear of you being mine :-), but I was there for the first 6 months of 1985. I think it must have changed even between Mazdoll and me being there as there was no "after hospital room" then. In fact maybe I was even responsible for it. I was told that I was the first ever to have returned after they took my baby. However, my family didn't want me back - I was too fat and too emotional and 'everyone' would guess!!!

Hey Mary, my DOB is 22.12.1975 so I knew you were about ten years too late :-) So my mother would have been there 34 yrs ago now.
    I don't know too much at this point, but I recently found out she was there only last week and I believe it would help me over all to get to know the place, how it was run, the process mothers went trough and so on.

I don't know anything about my birth mother reallt so far, other than that she was in the home there. I think I was actually born in Hollis St. after she spent time there.
    I did also find last week that my amended AND original birth cert is in the parochial house records of the church in Dunboyne, Meath with her name, etc. on but I have to apply to the health board for it.

Look forward to hearing from you soon,

Harry J.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi harry, give the tracing guides here a look, u can get ur original birthcert from the record room located now in the irish life mall, give it a go the records are public and u don,t need anyones permission, i got mine that way.
    i also visited the mother and baby home where i was born and my mother stayed for nearly 6 months. i just rang the nuns their and made an appointment to see them, found the whole experience very emotional, as i walked the old corridors i kept thinking my mother walked here with me.kathy

• Advertisement

Hey Kathy, thanks for your post, I was really excited when I seen your mention of being able to get the original in the Irish Life mall !
    Is that up to date do you know ? As in, is it still there ?

Is the original birth cert you got uncensored ?

With regards to the home. I spoke to a lady in the parochial house of the Dunboyne church last week where my amended and original are on record (she can't give it to me) and we were talking about the home. She said that it is no longer active and the records were passed out to there and maybe other places.

I really appreciate your info., it is a great help :-)

Let me know on the above.

Thanks Kathy,

P.S. Where are the tracing guides exactly ?

Harry J.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi harry jd,
    yes the irish life mall ar still holding the records,the tracing guides ar in the list of posts.
    do u know which part of the country u where born in and do u know what name ur mother called u, it does,nt matter if udon,t it just helps.
    i got my birthcert this way just ask for the books for birth in the year u where born. then it just a case of trawling through them looking for ur date of birth a real give away is the fathers name will be blank and the mothers surname and maiden name will be the same.
    good luck and if u need any help just shout....kathy

Hi Harry,

I will write to you re. the home - it will just take a while to articulate. I have started, but it's funny, the more you start to think the more you remember and the mind wanders. I spent hours last night trying to remember the girls names that I shared the room with - you see it almost feels surreal. And their names weren't real. No-one was called by their real names so their faces are clear but their names....... weird eh!

Anyhow the home is now a hotel. Here is the link

http://www.dunboynecastlehotel.com/

The fancy bit on the left (which I assume is the spa) was not there. Someday I might be brave enough to go back - I hope so.

The tracing guide is here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055543715

Slainte
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gfmason

Hi Harry JD,

I was told I couldn't have a copy of my original Birth Cert by the HSE so myself and my husband spent one morning in the GRO in the Irish Life Mall going through the Births Register for 1966. It was very easy but just took a long time as I had to start on page 1 of Vol. 1 (there were three volumes) and go through each entry. I found my Birth Cert and got a copy of it. That was the easy part. Now I am trying to trace my birth mother. I'm getting there, slowly but surely.

If you can get someone to go in with you it speeds things up and also to double-check each other's book is also a good idea. Take your time at this stage, so you don't have to go back to check in case you missed something.

Good luck if you decide to go and get it. I've had no regrets so far.

Grainne

Harry, have pm'd you as I don't want to publish my account on an open board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Mazdoll

Hi Harry JD

I was there in 1989 so it was probably run a lot different to 1975. I will figure out how to do the private message thing and I let you know as much as I can remember. The place is now a hotel, very posh, I will build up the courage to go back there and step inside the door.
    HarryJD wrote: »
    Hey Mazdoll,

I just seen your post. Mt name is HarryJD and my birth mother was in the home too. I was wondering if you could talk or email with me a bit and share your opinions on the home with me. I believe if I get an idea on what it was like and how it was run, etc. it will help me.

I hope you will. Either way, please let me know :-)

Thanks,

Harry J.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shirleyshaw

Mazdoll wrote: »
    My son is twenty this week. It has been two decades since I spent my pregnancy in the Good Shepherd Mother and baby home in Dunboyne. My son is with me and we have not had an easy life but a good life "together". I always think of all the girls who were there in dunboyne spending their preganacy with me. All the babies given up for adoption, where are they now, the heart ache and loss of the Mam's and the waiting for contact over these years.

I think of the letters we had to write to our babies, newly born at the time and the cries in the "after hospital room" from us mothers for the loss of our children.

If any of you are reading this, I have not forgotten and for every milestone I reach with my son, I think of you and hope that one day you will be reunited.
    hi my name is shirley and i was in dunboyne 1986 were u there then.

Hi Shirley, I was there in 1985 and Mazdoll was 1989.

Can anyone remember the name of the dog? Its driving me mad :rolleyes:.

Sr Anne's dog was called.....drum roll.....ivan

I remember she used to get us to wash him in the bath, white husky or something wasn't it..

I was there in 1989, good to hear other voices from there
    Hi Shirley, I was there in 1985 and Mazdoll was 1989.

Can anyone remember the name of the dog? Its driving me mad :rolleyes:.

Nope Ivan was not the name of the dog when I was there. It was an old goldern retriever type. He was Sr. Ambrose's dog (I think). Was Sr. Anne small with dark hair?

Grey haired woman, id say she was a nurse at some stage, she would check you out if ya had a pain or an ache. I Remember the small dark haired nun was her name Sr Claire. Did they change the nuns up there on a regular basis. I remember another one called Catherine she was from the Good Shepherds in Waterford.
    Nope Ivan was not the name of the dog when I was there. It was an old goldern retriever type. He was Sr. Ambrose's dog (I think). Was Sr. Anne small with dark hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

My sister was there in the spring of 1984. My nephew was born in Hollis St.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Mazdoll wrote: »

This post moved me to tears.

I wish you all the best of luck with your futures, your searches and hopefully successful reunions (if that is what you wish for).

Thank you for posting.

Ps. I know that hotel. I never knew it was a convent/unmarried mothers home (sorry if I'm not using the right term to describe it).

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Chocolate

I'm from Dunboyne. The convent dog that I remember from my childhood was called Jacko.

My son was also born in Holles Street in 1989.
    Different life time, so many of us went through there, i have always wondered where we all have ended up in life.
    Nice to hear the other voices though just proves that it was real
    deisemum wrote: »
    My sister was there in the spring of 1984. My nephew was born in Hollis St.

• Advertisement

Chocolate - Jacko that was it!!!! Thank you for putting me out of my misery :)

Amdublin2 - thanks for your post. I'm just glad that it has changed use.

Deisemum - hope your sister is doing okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dunboyner

worked for years there decorating knew alot of the girls in the 80s afew were great crack but most had it hard meet 1 r 2 on trips in to town 1 girl from cork was mad felt sorry for most.if sisters heard ye talkin to them teyd hit the roof :eek:l

Hi Dunboyner, don't remember any decorating being done when I was there but its gas that you weren't allowed to talk to us - maybe they were afraid that we would lead you astray :D.

Its funny when I speak to people about that time - even people my own age or older - they just can't understand the 'institutionalisation' of it all and the long term effects that it has on people. God love those that were brought up in those places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Mammyof2

Hi,

Was that the only mother and baby home in Dublin, my husband was adopted through St. Patrick Guild, in Blackrock, and we were wondering if his Mum might have spent her time in Dunboyne.

On another note I never knew the hotel was the mother and baby home and I have stayed there its making me look at it in a whole new light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 marybang

hi all,
    i have found out recently that my birth mum was in dunboyne in 1977 from about march till i was born in the may. i have only gotten my info from the adoption agency in dublin, who i have to say have been sooo helpful. but i would appreciate some info on the home as it is something that does worry me:confused: as i dont want to upset her or bring back bad memories. i am in the process of writing a letter to my birth mum, as part of making contact, which she is open to:). having a lot of difficulty in knowing what to put in the letter especially as i have had 30+ years to think about it:o

Congrats on finding your bm, do you mind me asking how long the process took and how you went about it, we are just starting off now on the process. Also how do you know your Mum was in Dunboyne and do you mind me asking what adoption agency it was?

I hope you dont mind me asking,.

Hi Mammyof2
    i am gogin to try and send you a pm as i dont want all my info up on the public area.

I understand and any help you could give us woudl be really appreciated, we are only new to this thanks again.

tried a PM hope it went through - new to this site

• Advertisement

just checking did you get the pm that i sent you

Advertisement