Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Woot! 8th place! My first top ten finish, and 108% of the winner!

Great great picture!
    If you flap your arms and smile, it looks like you're having a good time!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Today: IMRA trail Race - 15.8 Miles (Final position unknown).
    It is so tough. I am absolutely shattered.

6:06 pace for the final, flat split!
    Looks to me like there was still plenty in the tank by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Woot! 8th place! My first top ten finish, and 108% of the winner!

You should try get your hands on Born to Run on audio or rgular book.
    I just finished today,some of these ultra runners are unreal and the tarahumara mexicans running ultras everyday in homemade sandals...
    you would love it...Caballo Blanco and Barefoot Ted willl show you the way !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

You had a good race yesterday. Methinks you are being a bit harsh on yourself. Walking bits of hills is a strategy employed by many. Only the best can run every single uphill. If you can progress to running most of the hills except the worst gradients you are doing very well. Thats what I tried to do yesterday. Even then, jogging past a few people walking I was only going marginally faster, but a lot of it is mental rather than physical. Sounds like you were flying at the end when I wasn't. The flat tarmac road at the end is something I hate. You should frame that picture though. Well done again. Its taken me a few years to get a 6th place in this race. You've nabbed 8th already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Well done Krusty, thats a great finish position. Nice to see so soon after the marathon, you can run strong/well in a race. I know you weren't happy with the performance but aren't those hills a different ball game. It must be impossible to race over that terrain feeling comfortable? Best of luck in Connemara.

Cheers guys. In the light of a new day, I have little to complain about, and it's difficult to be self-critical. I don't have much of an agenda for the next few months, so it might be a good opportunity to work on my uphills.

@Sosa: Already done! After I read your training log, it's already in my library awaiting future play!

Today: Body was quite sore after yesterday's race, but with only two weeks to the ultra,and stiffness in the calf muscles, I figured some form of recovery run was in order. I had no problems slowing down on this run :o An easy loop around Shankill, then down by the coast, to finish with a few more laps on the grass in Shanganagh Park. By the end, I was motoring comfortably enough. Glad to have covered 55 miles for the week, including a tough race, and now it's back to taper for the second time this month.

Summary: 10.5 miles, in 1:25, @8:04/mile, HR=130

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Sosa wrote: »
    You should try get your hands on Born to Run on audio or rgular book.
    I just finished today,some of these ultra runners are unreal and the tarahumara mexicans running ultras everyday in homemade sandals...
    you would love it...Caballo Blanco and Barefoot Ted willl show you the way !

I'd highly recommended. They are some characters.
    KC your a bit of an animal. 3 weeks after a marathon, 2 weeks before an ultra, Jeasus well done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

It is so tough. I am absolutely shattered.
    Woot! 8th place!

Might be come connection above ^ :D

Congratulations. It supports my growing theory that it is very difficult to objectively judge you own performance/pace with a GPS watch and a flat course.

BTW, I know nothing of mountain running (looks terrifying tbh) .. but are you really running down that concrete path(?) in that picture ? How wide is it - I feel my balance going just looking at it.

• Advertisement

Abhainn wrote: »
    3 weeks after a marathon, 2 weeks before an ultra, Jeasus well done though.
    I actually skipped an IMRA race that took place two weeks before the Barcelona Marathon, as I felt it was too risky, but the trail race is fast becoming a highlight of the season for me. It's a fantastic race that's got a bit of everything. The ultra in Connemara is really a 'give it a lash' race. I'm not properly prepared for it, and fully expect to blow-up at some stage during the race, but I'm doing it because it's an unknown quantity and I've already got the t-shirts for the other two events. :)
    pgmcpq wrote:
    but are you really running down that concrete path(?) in that picture ? How wide is it - I feel my balance going just looking at it.
    Looks can be deceptive! They're actually railway sleepers (large wooden beams) that are covered in chicken wire, to prevent further erosion to the landscape. And I'm not teetering on a brink. It's about a 6 inch drop the the boggy earth below. And I'm not really smiling. That's the wind holding my face rigid in a grimace... and what we did was nothing. 6 of the Boardsies attempted the course twice in a 50k rounds trip... Stupendous..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Just saw the results, great going KC, I knew you'd run a close race with SJ. Some performances coming out of you these days.

Just saw the results, great going KC, I knew you'd run a close race with SJ. Some performances coming out of you these days.
    The only time I ran close to SJ was when we jogged up the initial climb. After that he switched into second gear, and I was left with more of a vague impression, of where he once set foot.

It's been a good couple of weeks. The skeptic in me is waiting for the fall. Maybe that's why I'm doing Connemara. A sub-conscious desire to have universal harmony. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The only time I ran close to SJ was when we jogged up the initial climb. After that he switched into second gear, and I was left with more of a vague impression, of where he once set foot.

It's been a good couple of weeks. The skeptic in me is waiting for the fall. Maybe that's why I'm doing Connemara. A sub-conscious desire to have universal harmony. :)

No fail in Connemara. Bet you finish in under 5 hours.

Monday: 1 hour swim. Mostly flopping around the pace. Very little actual swimming!

Tuesday: Calf massage and enforced test day. I'm kind of used to exercising 7 days a week now, so I was actually happy enough to take the day off.

Wednesday: Ran yesterday and today's mileage, in a 15 mile run, that was brisk enough, but felt fine. Probably went a little too fast because of the cold. Calf muscles are really bad now though. Think I might have to take a couple of days off and/or watch myself carefully. It was so cold out there, I just couldn't feel the calf muscles giving me trouble. Apart from the calf's, everything's hunky-dory.

Summary: 15 miles in 1:51, @7:25/mile, HR=142

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Hi Krusty, sounds like maybe the IMRA race - hills very tough on the calves. A wee rest sounds like a good idea.

Hi Krusty, sounds like maybe the IMRA race - hills very tough on the calves. A wee rest sounds like a good idea.
    Yep, it was exactly the same set of circumstances that led to my calf-related injury last year.
    1. Run a marathon
    2. Run the IMRA trail race (now with 10% more hills!)
    3. Do some stoopid long runs, and another race. Get to half-way, and then limp to the finish line.

The question is, can I avoid it this time around? Calfs are a little better today, but still very sore. I'd really like to make it to the ultra on Sunday week, but not if its going to cripple me for three months. Stopping at half way and walking to the finish isn't really an option this time around! I think I might go for a cycle this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Yep, it was exactly the same set of circumstances that led to my calf-related injury last year.
    1. Run a marathon
    3. Do some stoopid long runs, and another race. Get to half-way, and then limp to the finish line.

The question is, can I avoid it this time around? Calfs are a little better today, but still very sore. I'd really like to make it to the ultra on Sunday week, but not if its going to cripple me for three months. Stopping at half way and walking to the finish isn't really an option this time around! I think I might go for a cycle this evening!
    You might consider a sports massage. I think you have correctly diagnosed the issue as tight calf muscles following a hilly run. The obvious stuff like foam rollers and stretches, I assume you are doing already?
    You won't achieve as much with these though as with a proper sports massage focussing on the lower leg. Its amazing how many apparent injuries I have had that clear up instantly after one of these.

mithril wrote: »
    You might consider a sports massage. I think you have correctly diagnosed the issue as tight calf muscles following a hilly run. The obvious stuff like foam rollers and stretches, I assume you are doing already?
    You won't achieve as much with these though as with a proper sports massage focussing on the lower leg. Its amazing how many apparent injuries I have had that clear up instantly after one of these.
    Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, cried like a baby. Or at least I got the company massage person to do the calfs. If the problem persists through the weekend then I'll make an appointment for a proper job (and bring a leather strap so I can clench my teeth).

Oh and yes, on the foam roller, ice, elevation and stretches but if you have any links to other stretches, please pass them on.

Was the company massage person qualified in Sports Massage Krusty? Sports massage is a whole different kettle of fish to holistic/body massage which is what most would be qualified in.

Edit: What calf stretches are you doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

1. Run a marathon

Tough one - id guess youd be ok though - presumably ultra pace is going to be handy enough on them for most of the race save the hills.

I find that if they are just sore (as opposed to injured) that they repsond to rest well. I had a bit of trouble with them when i switched from heel to forefoot strike about 2 years ago. A mate of mine is training to be a physio and he recommended just getting some olive oil and giving them a little bit of a deep rub where they are sore with your thumbs after a run. Working up from the bottom to the top for 5 mins on each straight after stretching. I dont know anything about physio but it definitley worked for me and was free!

Good luck anyway - hope they calm down for you

Was the company massage person qualified in Sports Massage Krusty? Sports massage is a whole different kettle of fish to holistic/body massage which is what most would be qualified in.
    I believe they are RQ, but haven't really been at liberty to ask. definitely not as thorough as my typical sports massage, but at only half the time and 1/6th of the price, that's to be expected. If the problem persists, I'll go to 'the man' who do 'the job'.

@theboyblunder: I'm trying to fix my calf's, not make a tossed salad. :) I generally give them a run with some Arnica (natural anti-inflammatory).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

@theboyblunder: I'm trying to fix my calf's, not make a tossed salad. :) I generally give them a run with some Arnica (natural anti-inflammatory).

:D

What oil do you think they use when you get a massage? :pac: I use grapeseed, as it's cheap(er).

Something that doesn't gouge the hair from your legs in great patches. Seriously, I can handle all the muscle pain, but for f___ks sake, isn't there something you can do to stop the writhing agony?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Something that doesn't gouge the hair from your legs in great patches. Seriously, I can handle all the muscle pain, but for f___ks sake, isn't there something you can do to stop the writhing agony?
    sure your going for a cycle later so you can shave your legs anyway as an excuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, cried like a baby. Or at least I got the company massage person to do the calfs. If the problem persists through the weekend then I'll make an appointment for a proper job (and bring a leather strap so I can clench my teeth).

Oh and yes, on the foam roller, ice, elevation and stretches but if you have any links to other stretches, please pass them on.

Hi Krusty

If its the lower part of the calves it can be from wearing flatish shoes over a hilly course. I heard you mention you used inov8s, its possible that relative to your normal footwear: they are quite flat and cause your lower calves to work more (even on flat).

Whatever way an option is to wear heel wedges to take the strain off the calves so you can run a bit while you heal, so to speakl.

T runner wrote: »
    Hi Krusty

If its the lower part of the calves it can be from wearing flatish shoes over a hilly course. I heard you mention you used inov8s, its possible that relative to your normal footwear: they are quite flat and cause your lower calves to work more (even on flat).

Whatever way an option is to wear heel wedges to take the strain off the calves so you can run a bit while you heal, so to speakl.
    Thanks. That could definitely explain it, and is a lot more specific than 'hill running'. If I'm just wearing normal running shoes, would heel wedges be of any use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Thanks. That could definitely explain it, and is a lot more specific than 'hill running'. If I'm just wearing normal running shoes, would heel wedges be of any use?

Yep. Its to increase the angle between the heel and the front of the foot so that the heel doesnt go as low and doesnt then stretch the calf enough to hit or hurt the "sore spot". This is good for a few days or more to allow calf to heal. Obviously you cant do this indefinately and should take the wedges out as soon as you can.

Think about it and judge it for yourself. A day or two complete rest might be on the cards too. You have to be careful as sore claves can sometimes develop into a tear.

• Advertisement

I've never heard of a heel wedge. Where might one find such a thing?

Advertisement