Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault 4 Scrappage victim...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Max_Damage wrote: »
    There is a white '88 R4 van still going around south Dublin. Saw it the other day. I think someone posted a picture of it here some time ago.

I had the pleasure of being stuck behind it when it broke down on a very narrow street a few weeks ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Xlaxeo

spurious wrote: »
    The Renault 4 will always be a nun's car to me. There was a time when it seemed to be the only car you'd see nuns in.

When we had lots of nuns.

:)
    R4_Liberation_94.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

was there a version with to what looked like 2 handles besire the head lights. I think they were some kinda pre historic bumper. Or am I thinking of some other rennault?

A bit like that cop car pic only I thought they were bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Nice. Was it an original low mileage car or did it have a huge amount of restoration?

I saved it from the scrapyard. It really only had around 60k on it when I got it, the owner even wanted me to take a 70's one he had at the side of the house aswell but I'd nowhere to put it.

So I drove the 4 home even though I didnt have the knowhow or money to sort it properly but I just couldnt let it die. It got parked in my mates barn for about 2 years until he told me I had to move it ( atleast it was dry ). By this stage my now wife wasnt earning as she went back to college , I had aquired a Citroen BX 16 valve along with various other yokes that were being driven / For Sale at the time and the 4 had to go.

I told everybody who came to look at it that I'd only sell it to them if they promised to restore it in some way......Seems I picked the right guy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

was there a version with to what looked like 2 handles besire the head lights.
    A bit like that cop car pic only I thought they were bigger.
    dscd0588.jpg
    These were the only type i remember,i dont actually know why they were there though,a question for renotec maybe?

• Advertisement

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I told everybody who came to look at it that I'd only sell it to them if they promised to restore it in some way......Seems I picked the right guy :)
    Definatly,if all these stories had such a happy ending...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'll always have a fondness for the R4.
    My first ever car was R4 F6 van with rear seats and windows (converted into a camper of course :D). Plenty of good times were had in this van and the springs were put to quite a few tests (not to mention the one time when I chased it through a severe bend at 80 km/h for a bet and lifted its inner rear wheel clear off the road)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

dscd0588.jpg
    These were the only type i remember,i dont actually know why they were there though,a question for renotec maybe?

Weren't there R4 P & T and later orange Telecom Éireann R4 vans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'm not sure if it's still around, but I spotted this little workhorse in Dalkey around two years ago:

2zplbog.jpg

Weren't there R4 P & T and later orange Telecom Éireann R4 vans?
    There was,also an post had them as post vans,as below..
    r4van2.jpg

This is an ex telecom eireann van
    attachment.php?attachmentid=26&stc=1&d=1142537180

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

RayM wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's still around, but I spotted this little workhorse in Dalkey around two years ago:

2zplbog.jpg

I'd say I've passed that by a few times over the past year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

This is an ex telecom eireann van
    attachment.php?attachmentid=26&stc=1&d=1142537180

That's the one I see regularly.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I'd say I've passed that by a few times over the past year or so.

As have I.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Renotec

dscd0588.jpg

Lads, This one is a GTL (1100cc). I remember these well. There was even a zip in the roof lining for the beacon. There were a lot of the GTL's used as PSV's for the government, Customs, Navy, ESB, Dept of agriculture. Some even had the odometer fitted with an extra digit. Folks needed to record daily mileage and 1/10 of mile added up. The overriders looked great but when you look at the design they stabilised the inner wing from vibrating against the bonnet and provided protection against folding inwards in the event of a "tip".

Also don't know if anyone remembers the short lived Telecom Eireann coloured R4's (F4's & F6's) in White, blue centre stripe & gold lower panels? Not a colour scheme to introduce of you want the coachwork to last! Great van for carrying. The flip up fly panel over the rear door would allow you to carry a reasonable ladder or load. That was dropped on the last lot with a fixed panel. MOst vans ended up in the early 80's as dog trailers - built in lights, suspension, security, all you needed was a tow bar.

Renotec wrote: »
    Also don't know if anyone remembers the short lived Telecom Eireann coloured R4's (F4's & F6's) in White, blue centre stripe & gold lower panels?

Remember them too!

Nice bit of info there Renotec.Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭1948Wolseley

Interesting about them being used as various PSV's, Renotec. I had one which the vendor told me was ex-Garda (registration ZS 3514), but now I'm thinking it might have been some other type of PSV. There was an extra switch on the dashboard and patched holes in the roof from something, but definitely no zip in the headlining. Any idea what it could have been?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

r4van2.jpg

This happens to be the one and same that's up in North Coast Classics now for a full restoration! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Blue850

073.jpg

Renault4Kilbeggan2006.jpg

DSC07860.jpg

Renault4VanYellow.jpg

^Great stuff!!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Interesting about them being used as various PSV's, Renotec. I had one which the vendor told me was ex-Garda (registration ZS 3514), but now I'm thinking it might have been some other type of PSV. There was an extra switch on the dashboard and patched holes in the roof from something, but definitely no zip in the headlining. Any idea what it could have been?

That switch was for the beacon. definitely Garda.

This is a fantastic thread. I really appreciated the rear window garage sticker from Smiths. The memories! Also for the throphy flick. Keep it coming!!!!

This is a fantastic thread.
    Its pretty good alright,i think of all the cars that were around ireland in the 70s and 80s,the R4 was one alot of people would remember even if they only had a passing interest in cars. One of my teachers in primary had a red oneone,i always thought it was funny how it had the push pull gearchange,i couldnt understand how it worked!

Incidentally,i called to Adams today too,there was no R4 around and no one to ask about it either.

Also don't know if anyone remembers the short lived Telecom Eireann coloured R4's (F4's & F6's) in White, blue centre stripe & gold lower panels?

Here is an ex-Telecom Eireann van in original colours. There is also a 1988 Telecom Eireann model with the logo still in place in the National Transport Museum in Howth.

One of the original P&T vans is glimpsed in the second picture.

Max Damage is the grey 1988 model in the pictures still grey? Or has the new owner changed the colour since the picture was taken?

Xlaxeo wrote: »
    109661.jpg
    Any idea when this picture would have been taken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 moonunit1

hi folks,
    anyone know if there is any of these old vans lying around for sale? Its a long shot I know.

moonunit1 wrote: »
    hi folks,
    anyone know if there is any of these old vans lying around for sale? Its a long shot I know.

I know of one which will require complete restoration. It is a post van in similar condition to the van that Adam of NCC is restoring for me. In other words it is in apalling condition and will need a hell of a lot of work. You can PM if you want.

Carchaeologist, the photo was taken in Westport in 1989. The same flickr user has picture of another one here http://www.flickr.com/photos/sludgeulper/4330045251/

Xlaxeo wrote: »
    Carchaeologist, the photo was taken in Westport in 1989. The same flickr user has picture of another one here
    4330045251_350b097093_b.jpg
    Great stuff there Xlaxeo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Jan 2010 024.JPG

Saw this on the quays in Dublin in January or so.

Advertisement