Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault 4 Scrappage victim...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 moonunit1

Xlaxeo wrote: »
    I know of one which will require complete restoration. It is a post van in similar condition to the van that Adam of NCC is restoring for me. In other words it is in apalling condition and will need a hell of a lot of work. You can PM if you want.

Carchaeologist, the photo was taken in Westport in 1989. The same flickr user has picture of another one here http://www.flickr.com/photos/sludgeulper/4330045251/

Thanks Xlaxeo. PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 moonunit1

bijapos wrote: »
    Attachment not found.

Saw this on the quays in Dublin in January or so.

Very neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Renotec

moonunit1 wrote: »
    hi folks,
    anyone know if there is any of these old vans lying around for sale? Its a long shot I know.

Pop accross to France - pick up a leftie ex French post office, throw a few crates of wine in the back! Could turn into a right adventure!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

Here is the R4 from Dalkey from a few months back

Image034.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Renault 4 is a fantastic car.

There is a very tidy 1986 GTL running around Clontarf on a ZG plate. Often see it in Blackheath Gardens and down around Nolans. Really good condition.

I remember reading an article by George Bishop in CAR or it may have been in Supercar Classics saying that he interviewed W.O Bentley in the mid 60s when they R4 came out and that W.O admired the car's design greatly. The point being that to make a car like that function so well for such a low cost was a greater challenge than for W.O to do the engine for the Lagonda .

How's that for a segue!!

Richard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

i owned a 1981 renault 4 for years 856cc the back of it was well rusted drove it for years ,the fastest it could go was 70 mph and always returned 48 mpg ,it was a cheap car back then and i gave it lots of abuse i couldnt kill it so when i got my next car i gave it to my father and it lasted him years . it was one of the most entertaining cars to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

This one was taken at a local car show that I was at in 2008.The fact that I took a pic means I have an interest I think.

p6080040.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Any idea when this picture would have been taken?

OK Carcheologist, am falling for this........ half seven,, twice

Regars Rugbyman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

My dad's first car was a blue R4 NIR 669. Offally reg I think.

It was such a basic, lovable car - I'd love one to be honest

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

3690471381_c6b3d303db.jpg

3691276670_ecf0f7519a.jpg

3691274380_52d1c549a4.jpg

Terenure 2009 (click for larger images)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

^ Is it worth the 650 quid?Seems in alright shape?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

bijapos wrote: »
    Attachment not found.

Saw this on the quays in Dublin in January or so.

Theres one like that parked outside Dunlaoghaire Garda Station quite regularly, privately owned by a detective.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Xlaxeo

^ Is it worth the 650 quid?Seems in alright shape?

As I recall, it had severe rust that had eaten a big hole on the sill under the driver's door. It looked like it hadn't driven in the nine years since it was last taxed.

Not worth 650 imo, but it was complete and not beyond restoration.

Worth whatever a R4 project is worth

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

My best mates dad bought a new R4 legend in 84 i think? 1775 ZR was the reg and i am certain it was preceeded by another R4 special edition,
    a Rodeo i think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Max Damage is the grey 1988 model in the pictures still grey? Or has the new owner changed the colour since the picture was taken?
    I can't view the pics as I'm posting this on a phone! But the '88 one is faded grey/white.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bios

Really enjoyed reading this thread, its great to see such an interest in the R4. I appreciate the simple yet functional engineering that Renault employed to create these vehicles and I am looking forward to restoring the R4 van.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Blue850

Theres a white R4 van parked up beside the railway cottage at the level crossing in Oranmore, been there for ages, and theres a R19 parked up outside the house too

And relevent to this thread,if only because he has a 4 for parts..
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/1261637
    Full?id=2854984

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭johnf2020

OK Guys,,,I've finally given in to the charms of the R4...As a total Renophile I am into everything Renault but strangly enough I always avoided the 4 and I dont know why. I spoke to my Dad today who is nearly 80 and has driven Renault most of his life. He told me that he had 2 r4s back i the late 60s and early 70s. While he did admit that they were pretty basic he also said that the suspension of the 4 made it very suitable to the poor roads of that time(and maybe now).
    There is a guy in the UK that has made a living from all things R4.
    WWW.RENOSPEED.CO.UK
    Derek carries out excellent restorations,but knows how to charge!

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

i remember my da saying that they had a funny gear change system - sorta of a push pull system.......

And relevent to this thread,if only because he has a 4 for parts..
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/1261637
    Full?id=2854984

The R6 Chassis or platform is indentical to the R4. 26 or so 10mm bolts will remove the upper structure and the floorpan is revealed. In the past I have used the R6 as a doner for the R4 and vise versa. For those folks planning such a clone or transplant - then... chassis numbers are stamped on the inner sill rail (off-side) close to the seat rail. Also it can be stamped on the inner floor rear rail section. People forget that its not just the "diamond" VIN plate data but also the chassis rail data that count.
    All suspension/running gear can be transferred and in some cases upgrade to fr. brake discs is possible as the R6 (later years) are likely to have then fitted.

Just another piece of Trivia.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

landyman wrote: »
    i remember my da saying that they had a funny gear change system - sorta of a push pull system.......

180px-Renault4inside.JPG

It's still a H pattern. The main travel is forward/backward and the change from one of the long legs to the other is done with a tilt of the wrist.

3rd and 4th is just pushing the lever in and out, 1st and second needs the lever tilting to the left, reverse works with a tilt to the right.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Image949.jpg

I had one of those. Ex P&T, and it was a great yoke :D

Timing belt was done by cutting a hol in the bulkhead and welding it up afterwards.

Renotec wrote: »
    Just another piece of Trivia.
    We like trivia here,especially your variety!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

peasant wrote: »
    180px-Renault4inside.JPG

It's still a H pattern. The main travel is forward/backward and the change from one of the long legs to the other is done with a tilt of the wrist.

3rd and 4th is just pushing the lever in and out, 1st and second needs the lever tilting to the left, reverse works with a tilt to the right.

Its a 2CV thats different. First is left and back, second is centre and forward, third is centre and back and fourth is right and forward. I cant remember now where reverse is its so long since I drove on. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,916 ✭✭✭✭unkel

My first rental car was an R4F6 (rented it as a cheap removal van as a student in the 80s :D) - a couple of days after passing my driving test. And there were several inches of fresh snow. I was bricking it all day :D

My father bought a brand new R4 in 1970. We made several >3000km multicountry holidays in it with 3 kids in the back. He made some sort of harness / belt system for us in the back as there were no seat belts (front or rear) or child seats in those days!

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Its a 2CV thats different. First is left and back, second is centre and forward, third is centre and back and fourth is right and forward. I cant remember now where reverse is its so long since I drove on. :confused:

First generation R4's came with 3 speed g/boxes. Kinda like the 2CV 1st - left and back, 2nd - centre and forward, 3rd straight back from second. Reverse - all the way left and forward (just in line with 1st). They also did not come with an oil filter as standard.

I had one of those. Ex P&T, and it was a great yoke :D

Timing belt was done by cutting a hol in the bulkhead and welding it up afterwards.

Hmmm! Timing belt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Renotec wrote: »
    Hmmm! Timing belt?[/QUO

had me wondering too!

Advertisement