Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Catholic/Christian Bible games

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,051 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Seifer wrote: »
    Where does it say mod under your name?
    Where does it say I need to be a Moderator to take exception to Sectarianism?
    You think it's fine to post your smart-ass answer but don't like other posters doing the same?
    Actually it was a serious suggestion. You play the game as War, one of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse who has been framed for instigating the End of Days. The plot of the game is not inflammatory to Christianity as far as I can tell. I think they'd be more offended by a Gnome Warlock in World of Warcraft, who can make a day of leeching the life out of Squirrels and summoning Demons to do his bidding.

Though in opposites to that, a Paladin can be good fun. And the main protaganist in the game is the Burning Legion, an army inter-cosmic demons hellbent on megalomania and such and you spend lots of time foiling their plans, and the Scourge, which is basically their subservient army of the Undead. Also foiled constantly by your efforts.
    If he wanted safe answers he could've asked in the christianity forum.
    Unless theres a site-wide rule Im not aware of that permits non-constructive Sectarianism carte blanche as long as you arent in the Religion category, I think Stephen is still entitled to ask the question in his OP without a complete slew of ridicule as well as having his thread turned into yet another platform to criticize the church. It wasnt "what do you think about Christian-friendly games/Christian-Faith games" the question was "Are there any?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

quake is a religion.
    some guy even wrote a bible for it. seriously.
    in fact its so popular a religion it has 2. yup, see

as regards religion gamers are probably the most cynical people around. it doesnt mix well and if it were to, it'd be a disaster and ridiculed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I see what your saying Seifer, but taking into consideration the 1.2 billion Catholics in the world,( not to mention the other millions of denominational Christians ) I can hardly see how that is a tiny niche market.:confused:

thank you for the Google advice, I'll do my best to do some more research, thank you all for your replies.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

Stats .... out of those 1.2 billion how many are actually practising ???

Commercially Successful games/ Commercially marketed religious games are hard to come across. My only recollection is an independent developer in the 90s with a really under-produced Quake mod he wanted to market to Christans where you Really did go around with a bible and such and perform exorcisms and blessings. They just dont sell or get off the ground. I dont think its for any political reason but probably more to do with trying to build something around Religion and not Game Design. The developers probably get bored of the work and contributors to the project lose enthusiasm for it before it gets anywhere.
    Which explains why the best pickings are mainstream offerings which may have Religion in its theme (like Darksiders or in places WoW) but where the gameplay mechanics are not really formed around traditional religious practices.

If you don't want to stick to non-religious but family friendly games (Animal Crossing, Mario, Sims, etc) Your best bets are going to probably be games like WoW and just play as a Paladin or a Priest, both are playable classes in the game. Be advised of course you can also be a Warlock, or a Death Knight [in which you were raised from the Dead by the Protaganist, but you defect and return to the side of Good shortly thereafter].

For a Console though I'd stick with my original suggestion and see if you dont like Darksiders as its grounded in the Mythos surrounding the End of Days, and has voice acting from Mark Hamill no less. Double Win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Overheal wrote: »
    Actually it was a serious suggestion. You play the game as War, one of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse who has been framed for instigating the End of Days. The plot of the game is not inflammatory to Christianity as far as I can tell.
    Rofl. And those thanks are under your post because you were being so helpful?
    Unless theres a site-wide rule Im not aware of that permits non-constructive Sectarianism carte blanche as long as you arent in the Religion category, I think Stephen is still entitled to ask the question in his OP without a complete slew of ridicule as well as having his thread turned into yet another platform to criticize the church. It wasnt "what do you think about Christian-friendly games/Christian-Faith games" the question was "Are there any?"
    I would like to thank you for providing such a shining example of religious hypocrisy. It's all fun and games until someone criticises the part I believe.

You're making yourself look ridiculous trying to back-track now.

Rofl. And those thanks are under your post because you were being so helpful?

I would like to thank you for providing such a shining example of religious hypocrisy. It's all fun and games until someone criticises the part I believe.

Back track on what exactly?

As for the thanks you'd have to ask those that Thanked it.

Back track on what exactly?
    From making smart-ass comments to now trying to actually be helpful.
    Why don't you tell him some more about WoW? (How you're convincing yourself that WoW could even be described as a Christian game is beyond me)

From making smart-ass comments to now trying to actually be helpful.
    Well Im sorry you place sarcasm in places where none exists. <--- like there.
    Why don't you tell him some more about WoW? (How you're convincing yourself that WoW could even be described as a Christian game is beyond me)
    Actually I believe I've explained how it may both be viewed [inappropriately] as offensive to Christianity, and how in many other ways it would be a perfectly acceptable game to play without interfering with a Christian Faith.

If theres any back tracking its yourself for your searing Swing-and-Miss accusations aimed at me.

Well Im sorry you place sarcasm in places where none exists. <--- like there.
    Ok, you've convinced me. I don't think you were being hypocritical anymore, I just think your original suggestion was really stupid. <--- Maybe run the detector over that a few times
    Actually I believe I've explained how it may both be viewed [inappropriately] as offensive to Christianity, and how in many other ways it would be a perfectly acceptable game to play without interfering with a Christian Faith.
    He's not looking for religiously neutral games though. He's looking for games that "spread the good word".
    If theres any back tracking its yourself for your searing Swing-and-Miss accusations aimed at me.
    Thanks for proving Cunny-Funt's point about logic btw.
    Not wasting anymore time on you, I'm out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Eve-online MMO might interest you, they have a race of humans called Amarr. They have a few big role play corporations.

While not called Christians there story lines mirror the religion.

http://www.eveonline.com/races/amarr.asp?L2=2&L3=8&L4=2&L5=1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah, religion. The root of all conflict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Where does it say I need to be a Moderator to take exception to Sectarianism?

Hey! I hold the same opinions on all religions equally. My statement was factual. I've no problem with people being religious as long as they don't force it on to others, including children. He's looking for something to use to brainwash kids, imo religion should not be forced onto kids it should be something they can make a logical decision on when they've reached a mature age.

Don't worry , he always does that. lol.

I fail to see how I am back tracking on two words, Funt. Your comment about Demon Logic was neither helpful or appreciated.
    He's looking for something to use to brainwash kids
    I must have missed wherever the OP even implied an intention to brainwash anybody. You're making assumptions and applying your own personal transgressions to this thread. I know how popular church bashing has got in the last week or two..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Oh you fail all right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lads stop bickering. I don't want to hand out bans but the next person to continue this argument gets a weeks ban. Keep it on topic or I'll close this . This is the games forum not the religion one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Niche gap in the market here lads.
    M.M.O.M.S

Massive Multiplayer Online Mass Simulator

Think of all the possible classes!
    Priest! Alterboy! Ehm....Old biddy that lashes out the communion!

Massive, so who's with me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i remember there is some bible/christian game in the Simpsons :D funny stuff!but in real life i have yet to see something like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Lads stop bickering. I don't want to hand out bans but the next person to continue this argument gets a weeks ban. Keep it on topic or I'll close this . This is the games forum not the religion one.

All I wanted was a Catholic/Christian game!!!:pac:

for anyone who has seen the film they'll get my silly joke :D

rambo1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

All I wanted was a Catholic/Christian game!!!:pac:

See what religion does :P

(gawd please don't ban me, I couldn't resist!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

See what religion does :P

(gawd please don't ban me, I couldn't resist!!!)

Please dont ban me either, but it needs to be said, that Religion is not the root of all conflict, man is the root of all conflict.

just take a look at all the atheist communists who murdered millions while in power, and all the fundamentalists in various political parties who fight over politics.

you may not be religious, and admit you wouldnt fly an airplane into a skyscraper, and thats good, being religious neither would I. Yet people in both our constituencies would.:pac::P

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Advertisement

Banned and closed. Sorry but 'dems the breaks'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement