Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic/Christian Bible games

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Not really a console game, but you can play it in your browser. Noah is my personal favorite, he's got a wicked dive kick move and can call in a stampede of two of every kind of animal.

http://games.adultswim.com/bible-fight-action-online-game.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

To be fair, it's not just a question of "will the game sell", but also "who's going to put up the money to develop it".

Then you've to look at publishing, getting a licence from Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo etc etc. It's not as simple as saying there are over one billion catholics in the world... how many of them would choose The Good Samaritan over Robot Ninja Bloodsucker 6? I'm afraid, not as many as you would like to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

To be fair, it's not just a question of "will the game sell", but also "who's going to put up the money to develop it".

Then you've to look at publishing, getting a licence from Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo etc etc. It's not as simple as saying there are over one billion catholics in the world... how many of them would choose The Good Samaritan over Robot Ninja Bloodsucker 6? I'm afraid, not as many as you would like to think.

Yes I must admit the voice of Jesus is certainly a small one in the world, but we must not try to predict the idea that Catholics wouldnt choose it, but there is the question of throwing it out there to see what happened, but at the risk of losing millions would that be a good idea? probably not.

I have come across this game on youtube though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuszZAyIbS4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Yes I must admit the voice of Jesus is certainly a small one in the world, but we must not try to predict the idea that Catholics wouldnt choose it, but there is the question of throwing it out there to see what happened, but at the risk of losing millions would that be a good idea? probably not.

I have come across this game on youtube though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuszZAyIbS4

If your trying to embed a video on boards use the tags and put the video code in between em.

EDIT: That didn't come out at helpful at all, ah well. Sorry for wasting bandwidth :P

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The Angry Video Game Nerd did a review of some old bible games on the NES. Not for the faint of heart or easily offended (he isn't called angry for nothing). I'm not even going to post it here - he's pretty obnoxious ... look it up on youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I've heard of Bible Man, but it seems poorly made.

Link to PC Demo

bible man beats people to death with his light saber?? could have just linked him to knights of the old republic, except it doesnt look like it wasn't made on a zero budget :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There was a review of this one in PCFormat not so long ago Fatale It got an F for being "bonkers". I think it features nudity though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well the Left Behind series of books, has some games based on it. You can find more information here:

http://www.leftbehindgames.com/

Thats the closest I can think of, and those game would be Evangelical Christian. So they might not be what your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

Dante's inferno played as a good guy? no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Zoo Race

This game is uber-religious, but it should come with a warning because the quality is so low. Download the demo (if it even works on your computer), it is laughably bad. The music (oh, the music!), the graphics, the gameplay, the sound design, the cutscenes - everything. tbh it is the only game that popped into my head when I read the thread title. A group of us enjoyed it on a satirical level (although we're about as non-religious as you can get), but if you're looking for a truly religious game its as close as you get.

I'd recommend everyone from atheist to Christian to Muslim to Scientologist to at least watch the opening cutscene though. Probably the biggest waste of pixels ever created.

Actually, not entirely. The Noah disco scenes in the game itself are even worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Not neccesarily, in my opinion a great game would be something like the Acts of the apostles, in which a person could pick a Character such as Saint Paul or Saint Peter, and would play out the whole Acts of the apostles, although one would have to sit and be more creative and specific about it.

*Eric Cartman voice* Lame

Xyo wrote: »
    Dante's inferno played as a good guy? no?
    I was trying to think of the name of that one, it's another one that's supposed to have the odd bit of full frontal in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

There was noahs ark on the nes years back. Although the only link to religion was the name. And the levels used to flood with water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I see what your saying Seifer, but taking into consideration the 1.2 billion Catholics in the world,( not to mention the other millions of denominational Christians ) I can hardly see how that is a tiny niche market.:confused:

If you actually read the article I posted, you'd understand.

Your not really going to find anything of quality thats solely based on very specific bible teachings. You really need to look more at games out there that have religious back ground themes like some of the games retro mentioned.

Problem is the hard core religious people go crazy when their religion is mentioned in a game and its not exactly the way they want it. LBP got delayed simply cause a song had a few lyrics from the qur'an. As far as I remember the guy who sang the song was Muslim. Sony freaked out anyway and delayed the game and removed the lyrics.

Its just iffy territory for companies. Honestly people just don't want to have to deal with fundamentalist religious people.
    Overheal wrote: »
    No need for the God Bashing, thanks.

Hahahahahahaha! Actually I don't even need to address this, Seifer already put you in your place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Sim city? Sim anything..... you essentially play god in those. Moral choice is all your's just like real life really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

LOL good point man, we're talking about religious games and we never even thought of god games.

Black and white series etc!

calex71 wrote: »
    Sim city? Sim anything..... you essentially play god in those. Moral choice is all your's just like real life really.
    I wonder would those games be borderline sinning what with pretending to be god and false worship within the game.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Aren't all video games a sin of some sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this one definitely is

39787_41380_front.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

jaykhunter wrote: »
    How about games where the protagonist is a good moral person that treats others with respect and helps everyone for the greater good?

Isn't that like every rpg ever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,098 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Seifer wrote: »
    Where does it say mod under your name?
    Where does it say I need to be a Moderator to take exception to Sectarianism?
    You think it's fine to post your smart-ass answer but don't like other posters doing the same?
    Actually it was a serious suggestion. You play the game as War, one of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse who has been framed for instigating the End of Days. The plot of the game is not inflammatory to Christianity as far as I can tell. I think they'd be more offended by a Gnome Warlock in World of Warcraft, who can make a day of leeching the life out of Squirrels and summoning Demons to do his bidding.

Though in opposites to that, a Paladin can be good fun. And the main protaganist in the game is the Burning Legion, an army inter-cosmic demons hellbent on megalomania and such and you spend lots of time foiling their plans, and the Scourge, which is basically their subservient army of the Undead. Also foiled constantly by your efforts.
    If he wanted safe answers he could've asked in the christianity forum.
    Unless theres a site-wide rule Im not aware of that permits non-constructive Sectarianism carte blanche as long as you arent in the Religion category, I think Stephen is still entitled to ask the question in his OP without a complete slew of ridicule as well as having his thread turned into yet another platform to criticize the church. It wasnt "what do you think about Christian-friendly games/Christian-Faith games" the question was "Are there any?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

quake is a religion.
    some guy even wrote a bible for it. seriously.
    in fact its so popular a religion it has 2. yup, see

as regards religion gamers are probably the most cynical people around. it doesnt mix well and if it were to, it'd be a disaster and ridiculed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I see what your saying Seifer, but taking into consideration the 1.2 billion Catholics in the world,( not to mention the other millions of denominational Christians ) I can hardly see how that is a tiny niche market.:confused:

thank you for the Google advice, I'll do my best to do some more research, thank you all for your replies.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

Stats .... out of those 1.2 billion how many are actually practising ???

Commercially Successful games/ Commercially marketed religious games are hard to come across. My only recollection is an independent developer in the 90s with a really under-produced Quake mod he wanted to market to Christans where you Really did go around with a bible and such and perform exorcisms and blessings. They just dont sell or get off the ground. I dont think its for any political reason but probably more to do with trying to build something around Religion and not Game Design. The developers probably get bored of the work and contributors to the project lose enthusiasm for it before it gets anywhere.
    Which explains why the best pickings are mainstream offerings which may have Religion in its theme (like Darksiders or in places WoW) but where the gameplay mechanics are not really formed around traditional religious practices.

If you don't want to stick to non-religious but family friendly games (Animal Crossing, Mario, Sims, etc) Your best bets are going to probably be games like WoW and just play as a Paladin or a Priest, both are playable classes in the game. Be advised of course you can also be a Warlock, or a Death Knight [in which you were raised from the Dead by the Protaganist, but you defect and return to the side of Good shortly thereafter].

For a Console though I'd stick with my original suggestion and see if you dont like Darksiders as its grounded in the Mythos surrounding the End of Days, and has voice acting from Mark Hamill no less. Double Win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Actually it was a serious suggestion. You play the game as War, one of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse who has been framed for instigating the End of Days. The plot of the game is not inflammatory to Christianity as far as I can tell.
    Rofl. And those thanks are under your post because you were being so helpful?
    Unless theres a site-wide rule Im not aware of that permits non-constructive Sectarianism carte blanche as long as you arent in the Religion category, I think Stephen is still entitled to ask the question in his OP without a complete slew of ridicule as well as having his thread turned into yet another platform to criticize the church. It wasnt "what do you think about Christian-friendly games/Christian-Faith games" the question was "Are there any?"
    I would like to thank you for providing such a shining example of religious hypocrisy. It's all fun and games until someone criticises the part I believe.

You're making yourself look ridiculous trying to back-track now.

Rofl. And those thanks are under your post because you were being so helpful?

I would like to thank you for providing such a shining example of religious hypocrisy. It's all fun and games until someone criticises the part I believe.

You're making yourself look ridiculous trying to back-track now.
    Back track on what exactly?

As for the thanks you'd have to ask those that Thanked it.

Back track on what exactly?
    From making smart-ass comments to now trying to actually be helpful.
    Why don't you tell him some more about WoW? (How you're convincing yourself that WoW could even be described as a Christian game is beyond me)

From making smart-ass comments to now trying to actually be helpful.
    Well Im sorry you place sarcasm in places where none exists. <--- like there.
    Why don't you tell him some more about WoW? (How you're convincing yourself that WoW could even be described as a Christian game is beyond me)
    Actually I believe I've explained how it may both be viewed [inappropriately] as offensive to Christianity, and how in many other ways it would be a perfectly acceptable game to play without interfering with a Christian Faith.

If theres any back tracking its yourself for your searing Swing-and-Miss accusations aimed at me.

Well Im sorry you place sarcasm in places where none exists. <--- like there.
    Ok, you've convinced me. I don't think you were being hypocritical anymore, I just think your original suggestion was really stupid. <--- Maybe run the detector over that a few times
    Actually I believe I've explained how it may both be viewed [inappropriately] as offensive to Christianity, and how in many other ways it would be a perfectly acceptable game to play without interfering with a Christian Faith.
    He's not looking for religiously neutral games though. He's looking for games that "spread the good word".
    If theres any back tracking its yourself for your searing Swing-and-Miss accusations aimed at me.
    Thanks for proving Cunny-Funt's point about logic btw.
    Not wasting anymore time on you, I'm out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Eve-online MMO might interest you, they have a race of humans called Amarr. They have a few big role play corporations.

While not called Christians there story lines mirror the religion.

http://www.eveonline.com/races/amarr.asp?L2=2&L3=8&L4=2&L5=1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement