Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic/Christian Bible games

Options
  • 18-03-2010 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here know if there are any such games for a console?

I've been looking and cant find any,

your help would be much appreciated

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,986 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Darksiders maybe.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

The only time I've seen such games were 'Bible Games', which where illegal games for the NES/Super NES and Phillips CD-i (consoles from the 90s). All except one were really awful games that your child wouldn't play (the controls are broken and is barely educational or entertaining). Christian games were made solely to exploit the parental concerns.

I haven't seen any for the modern consoles, but if I come across any I'll post it.

As an aside, if you want your child to be learning while playing computer games I'd recommend any Legend of Zelda game (Wii and DS) as they involve various logic puzzles; or the brilliant Professor Layton (DS) which has many different types of puzzles with a fun story binding them together. Scribblenauts (DS) focuses you on using your vocabulary to overcome obstacles. Obviously Brain Training et al are more obvious titles.

I'd also recommend Rock Band 1 or 2 (3 is coming this Christmas) as it has a lot of fantastic music and promotes rhythm and teamwork if you're playing in a band. There's Lego Rock Band for 'safer' songs :)The 'Lego' franchise are easy games that are best played together (co-operatively) that involve parodying movie franchises, platforming etc. Can't recommend it highly enough for parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

jaykhunter wrote: »
    if you want your child to be learning while playing computer games I'd recommend any Legend of Zelda game (Wii and DS) as they involve various logic puzzles

If its religious games he's looking for I doubt he'll want that, logic is the devils work.

Heres an interesting article though

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/12/when-religion-and-games-intersectand-why-it-often-goes-badly.ars

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Any of the shin megami tensei games.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,986 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    If its religious games he's looking for I doubt he'll want that, logic is the devils work.
    No need for the God Bashing, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Overheal wrote: »
    No need for the God Bashing, thanks.
    Where does it say mod under your name?

You think it's fine to post your smart-ass answer but don't like other posters doing the same?

If he wanted safe answers he could've asked in the christianity forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Guys relax, I'm adult enough to shrug off that which doesnt interest me. I posted here with the assumption that the knowledge of gaming in here exceeds that in the Christianity forum.

Pax Christi
    Stephen<3

Guys relax, I'm adult enough to shrug off that which doesnt interest me. I posted here with the assumption that the knowledge of gaming in here exceeds that in the Christianity forum.

Pax Christi
    Stephen<3
    Yes but what your asking for doesn't really have anything to do with gaming. I don't know how familiar you are with gaming but a console game costs millions of euro to make so there is no way one that would appeal to such a tiny niche market would get made.

Google it and you'll probably find some flash games for the pc since they take a lot less time and effort to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

I'm afraid the best you'll do Stephen is find some Christian board games. As Seifer says, it's too niche a market for Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo etc to be interested.

Seifer wrote: »
    Yes but what your asking for doesn't really have anything to do with gaming. I don't know how familiar you are with gaming but a console game costs millions of euro to make so there is no way one that would appeal to such a tiny niche market would get made.

Google it and you'll probably find some flash games for the pc since they take a lot less time and effort to make.

I see what your saying Seifer, but taking into consideration the 1.2 billion Catholics in the world,( not to mention the other millions of denominational Christians ) I can hardly see how that is a tiny niche market.:confused:

thank you for the Google advice, I'll do my best to do some more research, thank you all for your replies.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Advertisement

I'm afraid the best you'll do Stephen is find some Christian board games. As Seifer says, it's too niche a market for Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo etc to be interested.

Yes I've looked for boardgames, but nothing beats a good console game :D wouldnt you agree?

thanks again
    Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Not a computer game but we used to play 20 questions based on biblical characters or places. I remembr thinking of heaven after about 50 questions no one got it.

I see what your saying Seifer, but taking into consideration the 1.2 billion Catholics in the world,( not to mention the other millions of denominational Christians ) I can hardly see how that is a tiny niche market.:confused:

Catholics aren't the market. Lots of Catholics are presumably happy to play normal games. The market you're part of is the hardcore Catholic where even your leisure time is structured around your religion. This is a tiny market.

Secondly you haven't even described what you would do in such a game. Go around hugging people? Converting heathens? Those aren't things that the vast, vast majority of people are going to find fun. Any Christian game that gets made is essentially just going to be digital propaganda, not a true game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's definitely some hardcore christian indie games out there. I can't point you in the direction since I wouldn't know but there were articles about it in Games TM every so often.

Catholics aren't the market. Lots of Catholics are presumably happy to play normal games. The market you're part of is the hardcore Catholic where even your leisure time is structured around your religion. This is a tiny market.

Yes but most Catholics I know who arent hardcore would play the normal games as well as the religious ones, therefore I still cannot see your point that its a tiny niche market, however I do understand the bulk of the message you are trying to get across and your desire to help me.
    Secondly you haven't even described what you would do in such a game. Go around hugging people? Converting heathens? Those aren't things that the vast, vast majority of people are going to find fun. Any Christian game that gets made is essentially just going to be digital propaganda, not a true game.

Not neccesarily, in my opinion a great game would be something like the Acts of the apostles, in which a person could pick a Character such as Saint Paul or Saint Peter, and would play out the whole Acts of the apostles, although one would have to sit and be more creative and specific about it.

Of course it would be aimed at one market ''Catholic/Christian'' and I do see that someones lack of interest in such a game who isnt of that religion would be there, but considering my point above I feel confident that all the big companys wouldnt fail in the area of making money on such a game if marketed properly.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's definitely some hardcore christian indie games out there. I can't point you in the direction since I wouldn't know but there were articles about it in Games TM every so often.

Hi, thanks for the reply, is Games tm a magazine or an online blog or something like that?

Yes but most Catholics I know who arent hardcore would play the normal games as well as the religious ones,
    What religious ones?
    therefore I still cannot see your point that its a tiny niche market, however I do understand the bulk of the message you are trying to get across and your desire to help me.
    I'm not surprised you can't see my point but well done on reading between the lines.
    Not neccesarily, in my opinion a great game would be something like the Acts of the apostles, in which a person could pick a Character such as Saint Paul or Saint Peter, and would play out the whole Acts of the apostles, although one would have to sit and be more creative and specific about it.
    The problem with this is that the game designers would have to prevent the player from doing so many things so as to prevent them committing sacrilegious acts that you would essentially be left with an interactive story book.
    Of course it would be aimed at one market ''Catholic/Christian'' and I do see that someones lack of interest in such a game who isnt of that religion would be there, but considering my point above I feel confident that all the big companys wouldnt fail in the area of making money on such a game if marketed properly.
    Drop Microsoft an email so.

What religious ones?

Exactly Seifer, ''what religious ones'' indeed, which is why when proposed with a religious game they wouldnt say no to buying it.
    The problem with this is that the game designers would have to prevent the player from doing so many things so as to prevent them committing sacrilegious acts that you would essentially be left with an interactive story book.

Not really, if it was carefully thought out, such problematic areas could be avoided as long as they had theologians involved in the creativity of it.

Drop Microsoft an email so.

address? :D

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I came across a blog about banned games but they were flash-style games that focused on intolerance of other religions :(

How about games where the protagonist is a good moral person that treats others with respect and helps everyone for the greater good?

Exactly Seifer, ''what religious ones'' indeed, which is why when proposed with a religious game they wouldnt say no to buying it.
    Well I suppose if the Catholic church directed their flock to buy it then they would be obliged.
    However in the real world, a product is made because there is a desire for it. Creating a product and convincing people they want it is a much more difficult proposition (Apple do it pretty well though).
    I would guess that you're not the first person to think of this, I would even boldly stipulate that there has been market research done into the area. Considering there have been hurling games released for consoles, what does that tell you about the size of the potential market for a Christian game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Wasn't there that "Left Behind" series of games?
    They were proably the biggest in recent times.
    Although I don't think that rapture stuff is catholic is it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Aren't there "Left Behind" based games? I know I've read about a Bible based game coming out for the xbox.

Dantes Inferno has themes based around the Christian idea of Hell. As well as violence and murder and stuff.
    Assassins Creed is based during the Crusades and has Da Vinci Code-esque religious themes as well as murdering and stuff.

It is totally a niche market. No publisher would ever put out a game where you play an apostle handing out loaves and fishes. Not only would it make for a terrible game that simply wouldn't sell but would potentially stir up the crazies. (Tho EA did go down that route with Dantes Inferno a bit with their fake protesters)

jaykhunter wrote: »
    How about games where the protagonist is a good moral person that treats others with respect and helps everyone for the greater good?

Chibi Robo fits the bill. By the end of the game you've helped a load of toys get over their social issues and saved the marriage of the family you work for.

As for games tm, it's a games magazine. You probably won't be able to find the articles now unless they archived them online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

You can play as the Crusader states of Antioch and Jerusalem in Total War Medieval 2: Kingdoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I've heard of Bible Man, but it seems poorly made.

Link to PC Demo

It is totally a niche market. No publisher would ever put out a game where you play an apostle handing out loaves and fishes. Not only would it make for a terrible game that simply wouldn't sell but would potentially stir up the crazies. (Tho EA did go down that route with Dantes Inferno a bit with their fake protesters)

but the thing is is that you'd have to read the Acts of the apostles to understand how one could turn it into a game, that would be action/fun and educational at the same time.

there are great parts of the Acts of the apostles that could suggest good gaming, but I'm not feeling in the creative mood at the moment.

and no Catholics dont accept the rapture stuff.

thanks everyone for the replies, its been interesting and informative at the same time and I'm continuing my research as it is.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

I've heard of Bible Man, but it seems poorly made.

Link to PC Demo

yeah it looks dire, but the ''the bible game'' after it is for the playstation looks good and I'm just waiting for the trailer to load to have a look.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

Seifer wrote: »
    Well I suppose if the Catholic church directed their flock to buy it then they would be obliged.
    However in the real world, a product is made because there is a desire for it. Creating a product and convincing people they want it is a much more difficult proposition (Apple do it pretty well though).
    I would guess that you're not the first person to think of this, I would even boldly stipulate that there has been market research done into the area. Considering there have been hurling games released for consoles, what does that tell you about the size of the potential market for a Christian game?

you make several good points seifer, perhaps if they did a research questionarie first to see if people would be interested it could help see if there be a desire for such a game?

• Advertisement

you make several good points seifer, perhaps if they did a research questionarie first to see if people would be interested it could help see if there be a desire for such a game?
    Seifer wrote:
    I would even boldly stipulate that there has been market research done into the area.
    Market research is essentially a questionnaire.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement