Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sean Fitz arrested?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Well, that's where he lives but who knows. I hope somebody is brought to book because I'm sick of the PS unions using it as a reason not to take paycuts lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

yep must be him, i wonder how many men in their 60s in a town of 18000 are under Fraud investigations ;)

However, Anglo is entitled to pursue Mr Fitzpatrick for any assets including his family’s home in Greystones, Co Wicklow

source

actually from the same article few days ago
    However, the situation becomes more complex if some assets are held jointly or have been transferred to the ownership of other family members, as well as if they are held in foreign jurisdictions.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Well it took them long enough didn't it? It'll be interesting to see how all of this unfolds over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Confirmed as Seanie on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Confirmed on the IT as well.

Lets hope they do take action and convict all those who did work outside the rules and help make this crisis far worse for Ireland because of their blind greed. If there is justice in Ireland this should be the first of many arrests (and hopefully convictions). Otherwise all we will do is incentivise a new generation of chancers to plunge the country into economic catastrophy for short term personal gain in the future.

• Advertisement

deadtiger wrote: »
    Otherwise all we will do is incentivise a new generation of chancers to plunge the country into economic catastrophy for short term personal gain in the future.

bailing out the banks (again) has shown any current and future bankers that its ok to take on crazy risk since:
    * they wont be the ones cleaning up the mess
    * and they will be the ones claiming the bonuses for short-termism

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

rte.ie/business/2010/0318/anglo.html
    There might be some justice yet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Hopefully not the only arrest. And its convictions that are required.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    bailing out the banks (again) has shown any current and future bankers that its ok to take on crazy risk since:
    * they wont be the ones cleaning up the mess
    * and they will be the ones claiming the bonuses for short-termism

Only if those in charge of those banks get away scot free.

If we find that the banks have been bailed out and those who were in charge and made crazy decisions get punished then I won't be as angry.

Unfortunately I am an eternal optimist and the people in charge of governing this country and those in the justice system always seem to disappoint me.

If those who were in charge of management of the major banks and who did take risks that put those organisations in harms way and even worst the economy of the whole country at jeopardy are not dealt with in the harshest manner then how can we expect the ordinary taxpayers of this country to knuckle down to get everything back on track again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Fantastic news.

I hope that this development will go someway towards quelling the conspiracy theorists that exist in certain peoples heads (looks around suspiciously)

Of course, this should have been done a long time ago, but better late than never.
    Now, lets hope the move through the legal process is more swift wioth Seannie as well as moving on to all others who may have acted inappropriately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Let's hope the Gardaí had all their i,s dotted and t,s crossed before making the arrest. I can see the technicality word already.

Hopefully more will follow. I really want to see David Drumm dragged back from the states where he is busy buying mansions. And we must remember this is just an arrest, there is no charge yet but Section 4 of the criminal justice act under which Fitzpatrick was arrested carries sentences in excess of 5yrs. I read on another site that Anglo are about to reveal losses of 14 billion, the largest ever recorded in the state so is the timing of this arrest merely coincidental?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

The first bit of good news about anglo ,in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Has to happen, if the government aren't seen to take a hard line on these guys they'll never see a dollar invested here, least not in anything financial.

deadtiger wrote: »
    Only if those in charge of those banks get away scot free.

If we find that the banks have been bailed out and those who were in charge and made crazy decisions get punished then I won't be as angry.

Unfortunately I am an eternal optimist and the people in charge of governing this country and those in the justice system always seem to disappoint me.

If those who were in charge of management of the major banks and who did take risks that put those organisations in harms way and even worst the economy of the whole country at jeopardy are not dealt with in the harshest manner then how can we expect the ordinary taxpayers of this country to knuckle down to get everything back on track again.

Sean is just one of many people who held/hold high positions

when scamming the banks/government, its all about timing your exit and when to "bail-out" of the train before it hits the wall

banking would usually attract the risk takers, when knowing that your chances of being arrested are minuscule there's every incentive to give out bad loans and make bad investments, especially when your get bonuses based on short term performance

unfortunately for Sean F he got caught with his pants down, and rightly so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

If they get a conviction, they should take him on a perp walk from the new courts, up the quays, up O' Connell St and on to Mountjoy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Fingleton must be sweating bricks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

There has NEVER been a conviction for white collar crime in this country.

Here's hoping.

This nonsense has to be rooted out once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 allucinator

Oh dear,oh dear! do you people REALLY think anything is going to change in this country? Fitzpatrick might be hung out to dry as a scapegoat (tho I doubt it) but nothing will change. We will still have the misfortune to live in a very, very corrupt little country. And oyu know what? We deserve it cos we just keep on putting up with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭saltie

Oh dear,oh dear! do you people REALLY think anything is going to change in this country? Fitzpatrick might be hung out to dry as a scapegoat (tho I doubt it) but nothing will change. We will still have the misfortune to live in a very, very corrupt little country. And oyu know what? We deserve it cos we just keep on putting up with it.

So what can we do about it?

saltie wrote: »
    So what can we do about it?

It has to be radical change. Two options: 1. For a quick solution, take to the streets and revolution. Not gonna happen, which is ironic given our history.

2. Longer term, change the way this country operates (possibly from within): government, banks, church, business, education, the lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭saltie

It has to be radical change. Two options: 1. For a quick solution, take to the streets and revolution. Not gonna happen, which is ironic given our history.

2. Longer term, change the way this country operates (possibly from within): government, banks, church, business, education, the lot!

I like 1. As you say never gonna happen, we`ve become too passive

We've become too comfortable. We're in a "fur-lined rut".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,923 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I sense one or two developers will also be sweating, i see NAMA has also wrote to some developers seeking any information on (Convenient) property transfers to spouse and family. Hopefully this arrest is the start of a major clean up and prosecutions of a very small amount of high flyer's who have destroyed the economy.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

anyone else think

that this is all a distraction for the media

shortly before Anglo is about to announce a record 14billion loss

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/anglo-irish-banks-bad-loan-losses-expected-to-reach-836414bn-2102830.html

while the sheeple are entertained and distracted with Sean, the actual bad news is pushed out of view

very cunning me thinks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

There has NEVER been a conviction for white collar crime in this country.

Here's hoping.

This nonsense has to be rooted out once and for all.

Never ever? Really?

The first thing I noticed abuot this story is that RTE and some papers have named and pictured him as well as named Anglo. TV3 in their news bulletins have neither mentioned his name nor the bank just generic terms like "a former executive of a financial institution".

Any potential case will obviously be prejudiced and there'll be no conviction. Absolutely sickening ahead of the EU saying they want more cuts and November's budget will obviously be written in the next few weeks.

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    anyone else think

that this is all a distraction for the media

shortly before Anglo is about to announce a record 14billion loss

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/anglo-irish-banks-bad-loan-losses-expected-to-reach-836414bn-2102830.html

while the sheeple are entertained and distracted with Sean, the actual bad news is pushed out of view

very cunning me thinks ;)

Yep, I think the announcement of these massive losses likely determined the timing of this arrest.

I don't see why they bothered searching his home 2 years on, like he would have left incriminating documents lying around all this time.

I'll also take this opportunity to say I really like your posts on NAMA and the reasons it will fail. As the flaws in NAMA are being pointed out, supporters of this mass robbery device are changing their tune to suggest its aim is anything and everything other than what we were told it was before (increase bank lending) and what we'd get for it (break-even or a return).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I suspect that he is only the tip of the iceberg and the rest will slither away quietly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

just wondering, everyone that wants him jailed and that are looking for convictions etc

what crime do you want him charged with and what time do you expect that he will do?

Also, to the poster that thinks that a few high fliers brought this country to is knees :rolleyes:

Advertisement