Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speedy Gonzales or Slowpoke Rodriguez?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Mon 1/3/2010

6.5 recovery pace. Expected to be more tired after weekend but not feeling too bad.

No hard sessions this week. A few strides and the Carlingford half marathon on saturday. There is a couple of lads doing Rotterdam also looking for sub 2.45 coming up which is great news.

Im worried about my lack of long runs of any description. (19 miles is longest yet.) I may do an extra 5 miles after the half at 30 secs per mile slower than marathon pace.

I have only the 2 weekends after for big runs. 20 and 22 mile for those. Might chance a midweek 12 and 15 mile pace runs those 2 weeks. Only BIG specific sessions from now on. I may do one or 2 VO2 max but only 6 by 1k no more.

Tue 2/3/2010

Lunch:
    4.5 Recovery Pace

PM 7.75m aerobic inc 7 by 100m strides. Ran home from work. Still a bit tired but was able to hold a good pace for an easy run.

14-15 mile run tommorrow. Might through in 8-10 by 1m hard to get some pep in the legs for Saturday. Will see how Im feeling

Total for day 12.25 miles

Wed 3/3/2010

Medium Long run 15.2 miles. 6.42 ave

Extended my usual ML run slightly (from Kill O Grange around Killiney Hill to Ballybough via coast and Toll) to bring it over 15m.

Very encouraging run. Slightly too fast in that the latter third must have been around PMP (6.18). It will take something from my half marathon on saturday but I needed it to prepare for the more extensive 20-23m runs Ill be cramming in the next few weeks at this pace.

M Pace may not kill me but the 26.2 might. I have made a blunder in having my longest run to date of only 19 miles a few weeks ago given the mileage Ive been doing lately.

Will force myself to do 5-7 miles easy after the half.

Total for day 15.2 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Nice running T. You are probably the only living soul to have gone from Kill of the grange to Ballybough via Killiney hill. Focus on the positives. You're going really well. Optimism is good.

Thurs 4/3/2010

Lunch: 3.6 miles recovery
    PM: Run home easy 7.75 miles.

A bit tired but should be OK for saturday.

• Advertisement

Nice running T. You are probably the only living soul to have gone from Kill of the grange to Ballybough via Killiney hill. Focus on the positives. You're going really well. Optimism is good.

Yep, its actually an interesting and varied route. Passing 4 harbours (coliemore, bullock, sandycove (ahem), dunlaoghaire before leaving the Dunlaoghiare area. Then Blackrock park, sandymount strand, ringsend and the nice view of the new bridge and city from the toll bridge, see whos playing in the point (A hologram of Elvis by the hokey! One of his fans a side burned grey haired dude was driving a class sixties american cop car in Ringsend)
    And then a bit of the docks, getting the piss taken out of me by some of the nippers on the way to the 5 Lamps and then home.

Looking forward to it during the bright evenings. Not long now!

Fri 5/3/10

3.5 miles easy inc 7 by 100 strides

Sat 6/3/10

Carlingford half marathon 15m total.

Not pretty: report will follow

Sun 7/3/10

Rest day

Mon 8/3/10

LSR

2h59m easy. Picked it up for last 20.

Encoraging run. Didnt need to take any gels. Fat burning must be better developed than I thought.

22.75m total

Some serious runner there T. Shaping up well for Paris.

Carlingford Half report:

Myself and the GF picked up a couple of friends from ouside Connolly at 8.30 and we were off.

This one had an 11 o'clock kick off and we got there at 10 in plenty of time.
    Myself and one of the lads J were of similar standard and J had suggested a pace of 3.40 per k. This pace would probably give us a good chance of winning. I knew there was another strong runner that usually showed for this race and I suggested that if he started no faster than 3.30 we should stay with him.

The GF's (now fiancee!) plan was an even steady pace to help her marathon preparation for Paris. One of us has sense at least.

I hindsight it is now clear that I was only interested in the win and pacing was of secondary concern which can be a dangerous attitude for a long race.

I did a 15 mile run at 6.40 per mile average 2 days before and felt slight tiredness in my legs so I downed a strong coffee for numbness and courage.

Off we went from teh four seasons heading down the flat main road towards Greenore/Dundalk with a nice breeze at our backs. The pace was OK (lead out by the strong lad S, had showed). I felt my legs groaning slightly through the coffee buzz but nothing serious. Wasnt suprised to hear J call 3.31 after the first K. I was right behind S listening to his breathing and convinced myself that he was working a bit harder than I was. We did the second k in 3.30. The legs were clearing nicely still felt a bit fatigued but I figured in aanother couple of K I'd be flying. I had moved up to S's shoulder and this caused the pace to increase to about 3.25. J wisely kept at 3.30.

S commented that it looked like it was just the two of us. I should have struck up a bit of a conversation which would have probably resulted in a mutually beneficial working together/ceasefire until later in the race. However, I was there to win and I sensed that his reply was an effort to talk his way out of a duel with a stronger opponent. Ahem, I really amen't wise sometimes, honestly. We turned left off the main road heading south/soukt east towards the coasr via small country roads. We encountered a small climb. With my hillruning background I usually make a few metres on the descent. I found myself with a gap of 4 metres and immediatly put the foot down which put the pace towards 3.20 k's. I felt OK: I would kill this guy off and win the race at my leisure. I got to 10-15 metres ahead but he was hanging on....... and hanging on. We were following the coast south at this stage. I heard a beep from his garmin which told me we were through 4 miles in 22.10 (Im garmin'less at the mo). I pushed on hitting 27.40 for 5.
    He was still there (10-15 behind) but now I had doubt with me. I saw a turn ahead which which followed the coast west and meant we were turning into a headwind. I would have to lose him before that and recover into a wind or else abort the break and run with him. He caught up about 100 metres after this corner. And took the lead. I wasnt feeling too bad while leading but I underwent a huge psychological transformation once he went in front. From feeling relatively strong mentally I was immediately a sitting duck and was struggling to keep the (slower) pace with him. I felt that he sensed this but suprisingly he didnt leave me. I barely noticed at the time: my mind was concentrating solely on the long way left to go and the pain I would have to endure. If he would just drop me I could ease off a bit and call it a bad day but he wouldnt. I took the lead for a while as the pace dropped slightly with him leading into the wind. Got through 7 miles,we were going maybe 5-55 pace here max. I fell behind again and suddenly got the urge to stop I actually slowed for a few steps before catching myself on and catching up again. I couldnt take a positive out of it and returned to my brooding which was overwhelming me again. we came to a fork and I just stopped stepped off the course and walked up the wrong branch and rested against a wall. After a while J passed, he didnt see me. I started walking up this fork as I reckoned it would be a shortcup back as there was still nearly 6 miles to go.

I then got angry with myself and decided to run the course back and bring the run up to 20 miles. I ran back but couldnt go on after the finish.

Total time 92 (running time 85, stopped for 7).

My OH ran a great steady race and finished strong. J averaged 3.40 finishing second.

Back at the changing room S enquired about the disappearing. He said I had left him in an awful state. He stopped for a low numeral pitt stop and ended up having a higher numeral one. He said he slowed right down once my disappearance was noted. He ended with 77.xx but I think a sub 76 atleast was on for him had I not forced that mental pace early on. Hes going for a sub 2.40 in Connemara. Hes probably not far off it and he has the experience and mental toughness for it, no doubt.

There was a leprechaun festival being advertised in Carlingford. My GF accused me of being a leprechaun hired to feck up the front of the race and then dissappearing over a wall half way through.

I was extremely worried about my mental weakness during the race, but a lot of strenght can be garnered by having a decent plan for a long race.

Heres a clip from Youtube about Rod Dixons famous win in New York in 1983 from J.

I will be Rod dixon in Paris! (pacing only not winning BTW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llfcZUyTJGA

BTW Would thoroughly recommend this race!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Its a fine line isn't it? Not that I'll ever know but I guess its even finer at the front of the pack.
    Fair play on your honesty, better to learn your lesson in Carlingford rather than in Paris.

Are you going to race again before Paris?

• Advertisement

dermCu wrote: »
    Its a fine line isn't it? Not that I'll ever know but I guess its even finer at the front of the pack.
    Fair play on your honesty, better to learn your lesson in Carlingford rather than in Paris.

Are you going to race again before Paris?

Im not decided yet.

Theres a 10k in Tubbercurry on Patricks day or a farly flat 5 miler in Ballivor.

Ive done a good few races recently but wouldnt mind another just to get feedback on my condition. Maybe I might be better doing a MP run though instead.

I feel I will be in about 2.41-42 shape come paris but I want to make sure.

The plan at this stage may be to go through half in 82. This will be right for 2.45 and also give me a chance to knock off a few minutes in the last 10k if I have it in me.

Tue 9/3/10

Lunch 4.5 recovery
    PM 7.75 recovery

12.25 total.

Wed 10/3/10

AM 7.75 recovery
    PM 7.75 recovery

15.5 Total

Thur 11/3/10

Afternoon: Easy 1.7m

PM: Medium Long Run 14 m 6.39 pace. (feeling a bit tired before this).

15.7 total.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

T runner wrote: »
    Maybe I might be better doing a MP run though instead

I think you would be better off doing a good marathon run instead, something in the order off what tergat suggests, 1 mile easy, 5,4,3,2,1 mile at Marathon Pace, rest 2 minutes between each, 1 mile easy. Theres plenty of 10kms and 5milers to run after the marathon, but a marathon is not something you can race hard at the drop off a hat, a good marathon pace run will be alot more beneficial to you on the day than a 5mile race.

A rivetting race report. Not a happy ending but I'm sure you'll learn from this. Lets face it.. a tough run 2 days beforehand wasn't ideal preparation.

You've done the work. With a decent taper and your head right (a visit to a head shop perhaps?) you'll do a fine job in Paris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Yeah the race report was very interesting even though it ended badly. Thanks for posting that. Very brave stuff going for it. Enjoyed the link too. What a great way to win a race....brilliant. Best of luck in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great report and thanks for sharing the disappointment. Do you think if you could have paced it better, you would have won it? Despite the setback, it sounds like you're in very good form. Just don't go trying to win in Paris!

Must have been difficult for the eventual winner, wondering where the hell you had gone, and wondering if you'd resurface at any moment. :)

A rivetting race report. Not a happy ending but I'm sure you'll learn from this. Lets face it.. a tough run 2 days beforehand wasn't ideal preparation.

You've done the work. With a decent taper and your head right (a visit to a head shop perhaps?) you'll do a fine job in Paris.

I'm in good form I think. Not ideal preparation: I should have done the thursday evening run on wednesday, at a slower pace. Now that I think of it, it was only 38 hours before.

Will work on the psychological part before Paris. Ill have to make sure my experience in Carlingford is a benefit not a liability there. I may have done too many races recently. I dont think its done harm physically but I cant tolerate too much sustained racing from the mental viewpoint. It was definately the head that said no rather than the body.
    Yeah the race report was very interesting even though it ended badly. Thanks for posting that. Very brave stuff going for it. Enjoyed the link too. What a great way to win a race....brilliant. Best of luck in Paris.

Thanks a million, The difference between the two runners at the end couldn't be different.
    Once the guy who finished second was passed his legs buckled and he had to be carried away from the finish area in distress. Dixon was walking about hugging people looking strong. He said he wanted to pass the guy at speed to devastate him (to increase his chances of winning). Looks like he succeeded. Once the mind goes the body seems to follow pretty quick based on that (obviously more so right at the end of the marathon). I need to learn the lesson and pace it evenly and at correct pace so the really difficult stuff only comes after mile 20 when the finish is psychologically more attainable. Thanks for the good wishes.
    Great report and thanks for sharing the disappointment. Do you think if you could have paced it better, you would have won it? Despite the setback, it sounds like you're in very good form. Just don't go trying to win in Paris!

Must have been difficult for the eventual winner, wondering where the hell you had gone, and wondering if you'd resurface at any moment. :)

Thanks Krusty and congratulations on your great run in Barcelona. It was a great lesson in pacing for anyone reading and Im starting to get the benefits of these logs now.

I doubt I would have won it. I could have held back with J and tried to come through hard in the second half which would have been perfect for the marathon. S may not have risked going it alone so early in that case either.
    I could also have just tucked in behind S and worked with him. I may have finished within 15 secs of him in that scenario and we might have gone lower in time.
    I felt I had a slight advantage in average speed on the flat where as he was stronger.
    It would have required a major mental effort to beat him and not sure I was up to that.
    So the best I could have done was an even effort and a fast time. Don't think I would have beaten him on the day.

My best chance was the hopping over the wall and accuse him of cheating option .
    He was sound but I never met him before so good chance of avoiding him in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Thanks for sharing all this T. A great read. There is an awful lot to learn from it for all of us those who are at the front and in the pack. I believe this race will now stand to you when you get to the start line in Paris.

Oh and congrats on your engagement of course. :D

Fri/Sat 12-13/3/10

Rest: Head cold

Sun 14/3/10

AM 3.65 easy

PM Fitness maintenance run. 8.4 miles---7.22 pace.

Feeling a lot better after the PM run, cold nearly gone. Will do a twenty mile session on wednesday hopefully and a 22 mile one on saturday with plenty of rest between. Touch wood but i may have been lucky with this cold. Recovery days were poor last week.

Mon 15/3/10

7.75 easy

Still recovering a bit so another easy run. Want to be strong for key sessions coming up. Easy enough planned for tommorrow also. Big day wed, sat, wed amd maybe a race next sat and taper.

• Advertisement

Tue 15/3/10

7.75 easy including 7 strides.

Wed 16/3/10

Long Run 20.2 miles.

Ave 6.30 pace.

Encouraged enough by this run. Ran from Ballybough out the cycle lane towards Howth. I was running into a slight breeze but my legs were relatively fresh after a head cold at the weekend and found a 6.20-30 pace comfortable enough. I was looking forward to the return where I intended to up the intensity. Turned right at sutton over Howth head past the revellers at the summit and down to the village. Was doing about 6.18 back on the flat. Put in a few 6-6.10 miles back on the cycle track. I did all my drinking on the hoof for practice but a horrible change in the wind between the causeway and wooden bridge reminded me to take a gel stop. Clock off and 30 secs here was back up to 6.20-30 pace but no way could I push harder. Would have liked to finish at a faster pace but otherwise a reasonable run.
    I think the run showed me that I dont have the endurance yet to run strongly for 26. Im planning a 22 mile run sunday with 14 fast miles (6M 1T 6M 1T). I feel I could go stronly at 2.41-2 pace for 22 but may have to ship a couple of minutes in the last 4-5. This should keep me under 2.45.
    Will know more after sunday.

I usually like to take pure electrolytes (eg diuralyte) late in races. I find it helps the legs better than gels.

Plan to take gels too but was looking for some advice and strategies in this area (or any other)?

Thurs 17/3/10

4.2 easy with 5-6 dodgy strides.
    Very bockety run after yesterday. The downhill from Howth got my quads too.

Bang on 750 miles for year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I think the run showed me that I dont have the endurance yet to run strongly for 26.
    I'm sure a good taper will make all the difference. How do you take electrolytes during a race? Are you planning on carrying your own drinks?

I take SIS Isotonic gels around every 5 or 6 miles (5, 11, 16, 21). They're handy as you don't need to take them with water, and they're easier on the stomach than your standard Powerbar type sticky-gel. Then just grab some water at most of the stations. Works for me!

I'm sure a good taper will make all the difference. How do you take electrolytes during a race? Are you planning on carrying your own drinks?
    Usually have someone to give me a cup of dyuralite for 10m-halfs. Carry gels for long hillruns but you ca usually pick good times to down them.
    I take SIS Isotonic gels around every 5 or 6 miles (5, 11, 16, 21). They're handy as you don't need to take them with water, and they're easier on the stomach than your standard Powerbar type sticky-gel. Then just grab some water at most of the stations. Works for me!

Thanks Krusty, will give them a try. I dont like the sticky ones eiter. Where can I get the SIS ones?

I saw over on Heff's log that you mentioned that you're doing Paris for the first time. I did it a few years ago. Its a good race, well organised. It has a few miles at the start that are very fast. The middle is more or less flat. In the last few miles there are a few ups and downs as you go into and out of tunnels along the river. They are nothing much but they took me by surprise as I was expecting it all to be pancake flat. Overall a fast course.

The only other thing I'd say is watch out at the water stations. I don't know why but they were much more hazardous than any other marathon I've done. As I remember it there was stuff on the ground and a lot of crossing going on at a fair few of them. You probably be fast enough to be out ahead of all that stuff.

Plan for the weekend was to do a 10 mile fastish run on saturday and a 22 mile P and D style run on sunday. Sunday run would be 12 miles within 1 min of PMP and 10 miles within 30 sec of PMP. I feel Im lacking in endurance and this not quite ultra style back to back might be of benefit to me in this regard. The main idea was to get a solid endurance run in on sunday.

Fri 19/3/10

7.5 easy

Sat 20/3/10

10.5 aerobic run. Inc 8 by 100 strides ave 6.39 pace.

Sun 21/3/10

Long Run.

Sometime on sat night/sun morning I abandoned my initial plan and decided to up it to 12 easy 5 @ 6.36 pace and 5 @ 6.08. Think I wanted to see if I could run the last 5 at 2.40 pace which would mean I could attempt a 2.40 come Paris.

Did first 12 at 7min pace, legs a bit tired. Had gel at 9 miles on the hoof.
    Next 5 at 6.36. Tough enough and now counting the miles left. Did almost 2 at 6.08 pace and died. Jogged the last 3 miles at 8.30 pace home tail between legs. I think it was glycogen depletion that got me as the legs arent bad today and even 8.30 pace was tough.

Took 3 gels at miles 9, 14 and 19 as well as a diuralyte at mile 16.

On the bright side I know 2.45 is the time to aim for now.
    My stability was dodgy late in the run so will work a bit on my core and flexibility during the taper. Looking forward to easing off a bit now.

dermCu wrote: »
    I saw over on Heff's log that you mentioned that you're doing Paris for the first time. I did it a few years ago. Its a good race, well organised. It has a few miles at the start that are very fast. The middle is more or less flat. In the last few miles there are a few ups and downs as you go into and out of tunnels along the river. They are nothing much but they took me by surprise as I was expecting it all to be pancake flat. Overall a fast course.

The only other thing I'd say is watch out at the water stations. I don't know why but they were much more hazardous than any other marathon I've done. As I remember it there was stuff on the ground and a lot of crossing going on at a fair few of them. You probably be fast enough to be out ahead of all that stuff.

Thanks a million for that. Will check the map for those tunnels/ups and downs and will watch out at waterstations. Much prefer to know about those things. Something like that could easily upset te concentration late in the race if not expected.

What was the park like near the end?

The park near the end was great from what I can remember. You'll be blasting through there, no worries.

The park near the end was great from what I can remember. You'll be blasting through there, no worries.

Thanks Slogger. Any other memories from it? Do you remember how close to the end that those tunnels on the river that Dermcu mentioned are?

Mon 22/3/10

Lunch 4.5 recovery

PM 5 recovery

Legs tired but not sore

• Advertisement

T runner wrote: »
    Thanks Slogger. Any other memories from it? Do you remember how close to the end that those tunnels on the river that Dermcu mentioned are?

They come after you pass Bastille for the 2nd time and hit the river.
    I don't remember the specifics but its between 25km and 35km. When you go through them you'll think "what was that guy on about?" but its just good to know they are there.

The park at the end coming on to Ave Foch is nice. There is also a nice big park from about 10k to 20k. You've got big crowds for the first 10k then you hit the park (cant remember the name) and it goes nice and quiet until halfway. Quite that is apart for the bands that pop up around every mile or so - I don't know if they still do that.

Advertisement