Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speedy Gonzales or Slowpoke Rodriguez?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Tue 15/3/10

7.75 easy including 7 strides.

Wed 16/3/10

Long Run 20.2 miles.

Ave 6.30 pace.

Encouraged enough by this run. Ran from Ballybough out the cycle lane towards Howth. I was running into a slight breeze but my legs were relatively fresh after a head cold at the weekend and found a 6.20-30 pace comfortable enough. I was looking forward to the return where I intended to up the intensity. Turned right at sutton over Howth head past the revellers at the summit and down to the village. Was doing about 6.18 back on the flat. Put in a few 6-6.10 miles back on the cycle track. I did all my drinking on the hoof for practice but a horrible change in the wind between the causeway and wooden bridge reminded me to take a gel stop. Clock off and 30 secs here was back up to 6.20-30 pace but no way could I push harder. Would have liked to finish at a faster pace but otherwise a reasonable run.
    I think the run showed me that I dont have the endurance yet to run strongly for 26. Im planning a 22 mile run sunday with 14 fast miles (6M 1T 6M 1T). I feel I could go stronly at 2.41-2 pace for 22 but may have to ship a couple of minutes in the last 4-5. This should keep me under 2.45.
    Will know more after sunday.

I usually like to take pure electrolytes (eg diuralyte) late in races. I find it helps the legs better than gels.

Plan to take gels too but was looking for some advice and strategies in this area (or any other)?

Thurs 17/3/10

4.2 easy with 5-6 dodgy strides.
    Very bockety run after yesterday. The downhill from Howth got my quads too.

Bang on 750 miles for year now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I think the run showed me that I dont have the endurance yet to run strongly for 26.
    I'm sure a good taper will make all the difference. How do you take electrolytes during a race? Are you planning on carrying your own drinks?

I take SIS Isotonic gels around every 5 or 6 miles (5, 11, 16, 21). They're handy as you don't need to take them with water, and they're easier on the stomach than your standard Powerbar type sticky-gel. Then just grab some water at most of the stations. Works for me!

I'm sure a good taper will make all the difference. How do you take electrolytes during a race? Are you planning on carrying your own drinks?
    Usually have someone to give me a cup of dyuralite for 10m-halfs. Carry gels for long hillruns but you ca usually pick good times to down them.
    I take SIS Isotonic gels around every 5 or 6 miles (5, 11, 16, 21). They're handy as you don't need to take them with water, and they're easier on the stomach than your standard Powerbar type sticky-gel. Then just grab some water at most of the stations. Works for me!

Thanks Krusty, will give them a try. I dont like the sticky ones eiter. Where can I get the SIS ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

I saw over on Heff's log that you mentioned that you're doing Paris for the first time. I did it a few years ago. Its a good race, well organised. It has a few miles at the start that are very fast. The middle is more or less flat. In the last few miles there are a few ups and downs as you go into and out of tunnels along the river. They are nothing much but they took me by surprise as I was expecting it all to be pancake flat. Overall a fast course.

The only other thing I'd say is watch out at the water stations. I don't know why but they were much more hazardous than any other marathon I've done. As I remember it there was stuff on the ground and a lot of crossing going on at a fair few of them. You probably be fast enough to be out ahead of all that stuff.

Plan for the weekend was to do a 10 mile fastish run on saturday and a 22 mile P and D style run on sunday. Sunday run would be 12 miles within 1 min of PMP and 10 miles within 30 sec of PMP. I feel Im lacking in endurance and this not quite ultra style back to back might be of benefit to me in this regard. The main idea was to get a solid endurance run in on sunday.

Fri 19/3/10

7.5 easy

Sat 20/3/10

10.5 aerobic run. Inc 8 by 100 strides ave 6.39 pace.

Sun 21/3/10

Long Run.

Sometime on sat night/sun morning I abandoned my initial plan and decided to up it to 12 easy 5 @ 6.36 pace and 5 @ 6.08. Think I wanted to see if I could run the last 5 at 2.40 pace which would mean I could attempt a 2.40 come Paris.

Did first 12 at 7min pace, legs a bit tired. Had gel at 9 miles on the hoof.
    Next 5 at 6.36. Tough enough and now counting the miles left. Did almost 2 at 6.08 pace and died. Jogged the last 3 miles at 8.30 pace home tail between legs. I think it was glycogen depletion that got me as the legs arent bad today and even 8.30 pace was tough.

Took 3 gels at miles 9, 14 and 19 as well as a diuralyte at mile 16.

On the bright side I know 2.45 is the time to aim for now.
    My stability was dodgy late in the run so will work a bit on my core and flexibility during the taper. Looking forward to easing off a bit now.

dermCu wrote: »
    I saw over on Heff's log that you mentioned that you're doing Paris for the first time. I did it a few years ago. Its a good race, well organised. It has a few miles at the start that are very fast. The middle is more or less flat. In the last few miles there are a few ups and downs as you go into and out of tunnels along the river. They are nothing much but they took me by surprise as I was expecting it all to be pancake flat. Overall a fast course.

The only other thing I'd say is watch out at the water stations. I don't know why but they were much more hazardous than any other marathon I've done. As I remember it there was stuff on the ground and a lot of crossing going on at a fair few of them. You probably be fast enough to be out ahead of all that stuff.

Thanks a million for that. Will check the map for those tunnels/ups and downs and will watch out at waterstations. Much prefer to know about those things. Something like that could easily upset te concentration late in the race if not expected.

What was the park like near the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

The park near the end was great from what I can remember. You'll be blasting through there, no worries.

The park near the end was great from what I can remember. You'll be blasting through there, no worries.

Thanks Slogger. Any other memories from it? Do you remember how close to the end that those tunnels on the river that Dermcu mentioned are?

Mon 22/3/10

Lunch 4.5 recovery

PM 5 recovery

Legs tired but not sore

• Advertisement

T runner wrote: »
    Thanks Slogger. Any other memories from it? Do you remember how close to the end that those tunnels on the river that Dermcu mentioned are?

They come after you pass Bastille for the 2nd time and hit the river.
    I don't remember the specifics but its between 25km and 35km. When you go through them you'll think "what was that guy on about?" but its just good to know they are there.

The park at the end coming on to Ave Foch is nice. There is also a nice big park from about 10k to 20k. You've got big crowds for the first 10k then you hit the park (cant remember the name) and it goes nice and quiet until halfway. Quite that is apart for the bands that pop up around every mile or so - I don't know if they still do that.

If memory serves the park near the end is where Roland Garros stadium is (tennis and all that). Theres so much to absorb and enjoy about the Paris route. The sights, the people, its a rush. The initial buzz running down past the Louvre and the Rue de Rivoli. Granted I was in the 3:30 club at the time but I recall some sections being quite congested and despite some of the widest roads in Europe, parts of the marathon route seemed to be quite tight, so just watch being boxed in on tighter sections. Bon chance.

Tue 23/3/10

9 mi inc. 5 by 600 at 5k pace wi 90s jog.

1m55s, 1m52-3s by 4. Gravel running track.

Ran harder effort than 5k although the session got easier after the first one.

Still tired after weeeknd. 12 miler later. Hope this taper starts kicking in soon!

dermCu wrote: »
    They come after you pass Bastille for the 2nd time and hit the river.
    I don't remember the specifics but its between 25km and 35km. When you go through them you'll think "what was that guy on about?" but its just good to know they are there.

The park at the end coming on to Ave Foch is nice. There is also a nice big park from about 10k to 20k. You've got big crowds for the first 10k then you hit the park (cant remember the name) and it goes nice and quiet until halfway. Quite that is apart for the bands that pop up around every mile or so - I don't know if they still do that.

Thanks DermCu.

All markers are in Ks I presume or have they miles too?

Tue 23/3/10
    Gravel running track...
    The one near the N11? I believe they've done a bit of work on it and its a lot better than before.

The one near the N11? I believe they've done a bit of work on it and its a lot better than before.

Yep. I wasnt aware of the work but they've done a good job levelling out the track. I wouldnt say its completely flat overall but its not bumpy and is grand to run on. I wonder if they have any plans there or is it just the once every 5 year maintanance. Hopefully schools will start using it.

I reckon theres potential for a running club in the general area. Nearest one apart form Blackrock AC is DSD.

• Advertisement

Wed 24/3/10

12 miles Medium Long Run. 6.40 pace

Thurs 25/3/10

Lunch: 5.8 m reovery
    PM: 4.1 recovery

Total 9.9

Fri 26/3/10

Lunch 5.8 recovery

Sat 27/3/10

Lunch 7.95 inc 21.20 at 5.35 pace

PM 3.5 recovery

Officially tapering?

Officially tapering?

It doesnt feel like it but my bloody schedule tells me it is! Just finished last long run there of around 17 miles and now its deffo tapering. Have been quite tired and a bit worried about it all last week but feeling a bit better now.

Sun 28/3/10 16.8 miles ave (6.51) found it tough enough at the end but just have to trust my training that my endurance will be allright come the 11th.

Mon 29/3/10

6 miles easy.

Writing this on tuesday and the legs are starting to feel a bit like my own again.

Tue 30/3/10

8.8 miles with 10k steady (3.59k pace).

Happy enough with pace here: into a stiff wind and felt comfortable and reserved throughout.

8.8 miles

Wed 31/3/10

6 miles recovery pace. Most on grass. Will do all recovery runs off road now to aid taper and muscle recovery.

• Advertisement

Thurs 1/4/10

6 miles with 2.5 k at 5 k race pace. Sore throat.

Fri 2/4/10

Rest

Sat 3/4/10

8 Miles inc. 10 by 100m fast strides

Sun 4/4/10

13.1 Miles at 6.36 pace. Last 6k at 6.15 pace.

Windy and chose a hilly route through park. Wanted to put a bit of effort into this to hold my fitness till Sunday.

Mon 3/4/10

4.8 miles recovery pace.

Got my head blown off in wind and lashing rain on Strandhill beach. Average west of Ireland day and a really enjoyable run. A real head tapering run

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Good luck on the 11th. The hard work is done. Your log to date has been a great read. Should have given you a shout Bank Holiday Monday for a blustery jog but time was not on my side. Looking forward to hearing the report :)

Getting in early with best wishes for the weekend. Make a sensible plan and stick to it. Sticking to a sub 2.45 marathon pace is well within your compass. You've done tough races in the past. Let all that experience stand to you. You've done the training, you've done the mileage. Replicate that at the weekend and enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

4.8 miles recovery pace.

Got my head blown off in wind and lashing rain on Strandhill beach. Average west of Ireland day and a really enjoyable run. A real head tapering run

A weekend break or you reside there?

All the very best on Sunday.

Tue 3/4/10

AM 4 easy

PM 2.5 easy. Meant to do strides here to but wearing old runners with rock hard midsoles so didnt risk it.

Getting in early with best wishes for the weekend. Make a sensible plan and stick to it. Sticking to a sub 2.45 marathon pace is well within your compass. You've done tough races in the past. Let all that experience stand to you. You've done the training, you've done the mileage. Replicate that at the weekend and enjoy.

Thanks Slogger. I plan on 3.54 km pace till mile 18 no matter what. If Im feeling very good ill up it to 3.50-51, indifferent Ill wait till mile 20-21, bad Ill hang on.

That way I can concentrate on conserving energy and enjoying as much as possible early on.
    Abhainn wrote: »
    A weekend break or you reside there?

All the very best on Sunday.

Thanks for the good wishes. Living in Dublin but grew up there and visiting my Dad for a couple of days. Good spot for training.

stmochtas wrote: »
    Good luck on the 11th. The hard work is done. Your log to date has been a great read. Should have given you a shout Bank Holiday Monday for a blustery jog but time was not on my side. Looking forward to hearing the report :)

Thanks Stmochtas. Planning on hitting the hills after this so we'll hook up at some stage.

Best of luck this weekend T runner. Hope you get the result you're looking for. The weather in Paris looks perfect. Here's your inspirational finish line video. Just remember not to do it until you've passed the 26 mile marker! Have a great race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Best of luck. Bonn Chance!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Good luck T runner all the hard work is done now, looking forward to your report, you will be nearly finished your race, as mine will be only starting.

• Advertisement

Wed 7/4/10

7 Easy inc 2 at Race Pace

Fri 9/4/10

Rest Thursday.

Friday. 5 Miles with 6 by 100m strides. Down the river from the Latin Quarter. Past Mitterants Library and under a few bridges which are home to sone of the Paris poor. They havz Quechea tents pitched here. Ran Roughly adjacent to the Park Bois de Vincennes where the course reaches its most easterly point at 11 miles and turns back for the long run past alot of famous landnarks towards the Park Bois de Bologne and Mile 20.

Sat 9/4/10

4 easy with a few pickups. From Latin quarter to les Jardins de Luxembourg. Beautiful morning to be in these gardens. I was out early and saw many Parisiens doing laps here.

Have done well with the Pasta consumption and water drinking. Too much coffee maybe and a bit much walking on my rest day. The expo was good if a little dear. bought a gel belt which had 7 gels. All had energy: 3 for slow release, 3 for cramp avoiding and one special one for the last few K for instant energy. The gel tubes are packed into the belt like guns in a holster. ****! Cant think Im a cowboy or Ill go off too fast.

Plan is to go easy and controlled (hopfully between 3.40 and 3.45 pace) and then go for it at the Bois de Bologne (mile 20 2 hours) or else hang on.

Ive 36 miles training put in for every nile of this race so I deserve to get the best out of myself here. Hopefully Ill oblige

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Best of luck T Runner, nearly there

Go for it T runner. Keep a cool head for the first half then open up. Good Luck.

Finished in 2.44 48

happy with tine. Internediate paces below and report to follow. Thanks for good wishes

0-5 Km 4.04 km 6.32Mi
    5-10 4.02 6.26.5
    15-21.1 3.46 6.04
    21.1-25 3.46.7 6.05
    25-30 3.58 6.22
    30-35 3.53 6.15
    35-42.2 4.02 6.30

Looks like you implemented your proposed plan impeccably. Congrats. Feet up now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

jasus thats brilliant Trunner. Looking forward to the repot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Well done T runner, thats a brilliant time for your first marathon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Congratulations - that's a stunning result for any marathon let alone a first.

Outstanding running, that man! Congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Heh T runner congrats on that great time. T
    here is some good stuff coming out of Sligo lately! Looking forward to the report

Sun 11/4/2010

Marathon 28 miles total

Mon 12/4/2010

3 miles hobble and stretches

Tue/Wed Rest

Thurs 15/4/2010

Lunch: easy swim

6 miles easy. Legs feeling better but 2 weeks until full recovery Id say.

Have to get my 1000 mile challenge counter ticking over again.

Busy week but hoping to have marathon report up shortly

The announcer says 2 minutes to go but Im still ouside my pen on the Champs Elysses looking for a way in!
    I decide to follow another competitor scale the 2 metre metal barrier thing. Im now with my back to teh Arc de Triomhe on the right hand side of the road facing down the Avenue. Im way too far back. A lot of teashirts and the plastic warmers they gave is in the registration bag have been discarded beside the barrier so I run walk on top of these and further towards the front. When the starter goes I’m about 2000 places from the front but not too bad. Takes about a minute to reach the start line and I start the GPS. I immediately settle into an easy pace on the significant downhill and am moving a lot faster than people around me. I have Ireland written on my top and a South African guy says hello and tells me that he proposed to his Co. Meath girlfriend on the top of the Ark the evening before. I congratulate him and chat a bit too long afterr he tells me hes going for sub 3hrs before moving on. The avenue is Wide but it is still not easy to get through the crowds. My fist mile is 6.43. Im not aware of tis as I have time/ average pace /current pace (in KMs) on my GPS display. Not worried about the slow pace, it will thin out, Ive started slowly and the first pitfall has been avoided (starting fast). Am feeling good.
    My aim is sub 2.45 I feel I may be good enough for low 2.40’s but I will run as I feel and asses time as a secondary concern assuming Im not going too slow.

Pass place de la concorde and onto Rue Rivoli heading East behind Tuilieres gardens, Lovre and towards Bastille. Im finding it hard to get around runners. I cant stay put because the pace is too slow but I know it will thin out eventually. Through 5k, slow at 21.43 but felt very easy and I am confident it will be my slowest.
    6-7k and the 3hr pacers are just ahead now (going too fast) with a massive swarm of hundreds of runners around them. There is room ahead of this crowd but I must pick my time to go around.

I get around after a k and can run in slightly straighter lines although the road is narrow and congested still. 10k station and first gel from my belt. Bought belt and all: 3 slow release gels with 20-20-30 on them to be taken at these kilometre marks, 3 gels with energy and electrolyte with 15-25-35 on them and the 7th for quick release help in last few K. No sign of a little cyanide pouch though. No need hopefully.

Entering first Park and Bois De Vincennes. My pace has increased naturally and my average pace has gone from 4 mkm to around 3.56. I estimate it will be close to 2.40 pace average (3.48) when we get to mile 20 and feel that the way Im going I have an outside chance of a sub 2.40. I feel I am pushing slightly so ease back into the correct comfortable pace and find that my pace hasn’t reduced as a result. Cant underestimate completely relaxed running.

There has been a headwind for most of the way (of no factor due to crowds) and can feel it more here in the park. The field is only occupying one side of the road and congestion is no longer a factor. I am still passing runners all the time and this keeps my concentration and positivity up. We reach the furthest point East and turn back towards the city and reach the 15k water. I realise Ive lost 3 gels! Ive no excuse the gels were packed upside down in the belt when I bought them but my girlfriend had pointed this out that morning. I examined the belt at that stage decided “they were grand” with the resultant dilemma. They had raisins sugar cubes orange segs at each station so went for raisins and oranges and decided to leave gels to later in race. (probably should have gone for a consecutive gel /sugar-raisin policy but didn’t make much difference).
    This is the fastest section of the course. This is a fast section of the course Through halfway and surprised to see 83:20 on the clock. Its really about 82:20 but my GPS is telling me Im running faster. Not to worry, Im going to fly this second half!

We get back to Place de la Bastille at 14m and head down to the river for a significant 5 mile stratch along the Seine. Downhill and right and the back of notre Dame is in view. Lovely! Surprised by a slight headwind but it is just a vague breeze off river and is hugely advantageous for keeping us cool. People a thousand of miles away in Connemara would have killed for that cool breeze Im sure.
    Running with good rythm still and still pasing. Deciding whether to up it at 16 or not. I remember a piece of advice I got from a friend who advised me to keep cool till 2 hrs and give it anything and everything Ive got after. That fits the bill for todays race I think (hope).

We enter a short tunnel and climb steeply out of it. DemCU(Thanks a million) has warned me about these so I ease the climbs. There will be no change in effort or pulse of lactic going into teh blood till late in the race.
    Down one long tunnel. This is the one where Diana was killed and it is a k and a half long. We emerge opposite Dorsay museum beside Louvre. Concorde visible ahead, and Eiffel Tower around the corner. Another tunnel between Concored and Eiffel and Km 28 and I am starting to feel slightly fatigued in my legs. My ave pace is 3.49 at this stage. I have strong legs from all the training so it’s not an issue yet but I know that keeping the pace will now start to be progressively harder. No problem Im nearly there em only 8 to go... oops.

I know in my heart I won’t run out of glycogen. Ive eaten enough pasta and drank enough water in the past 3 days for 3 people but my legs which finished all my long runs slowly and complaining were feeling heavy. Courage! someone shouted to us.
    I concentrated on my form still passing people still keeping up the pace. 30k water, had a gel and accelerated out back to my pace. My garmin tells me now that I had averaged 6:04 pace for the previous 20 mile but mile 21 was the last of these.
    (Actually around mile 19 my perception had changed. I started to feel slightly one tracked not as alert to surroundings and I supposed resigned to the inevitability of growing tiredness of pain. From a perception point of view things went slightly pear shaped. Maybe this is a common marathon phenomenum)

Anyway mile 21 and Im in the Bois de Bologne Park. Its windy its a bit hilly, there are long boulevards turning back on themselves for no other reason than to drag an extra few Kms of pain out of us.....Im in trouble.
    I try and stay relaxed and concentrate on my form but this is hurting and my pace has slowed. Another couple of Ks down the road and although my pace has slowed it is still under 6.30 miles due to the rythm that is now natural from the P + D longer runs. 2K to go and I can feel the end. One to go and a big crowd but looking at my watch I realise I have drifted and the 2.45 is now in doubt. I push for the line and finally decide on increasing legturnover as a means to offset tired legs rather than pushing dead legs harder. It works. I turn corner to avenue Foch, theres the Arc de Triomphe again. Finish with 12 seconds to spare under the 2.45. Phew! What a relief to have stopped running.
    Chat to a few lads as we make our way to the massage tent. Not actually able to bend to take off my runners for the massage, needed help. Changed and off to cheer on my GF who is still running the course. She has been hurting since 15k but shows great spirit at 35k to comment she thought I was John Wayne due to funny walk. She battles on and completes the race. 27k of pain! Thats tough!

The last few weeks before the race I swore I would never run another marathon. Will I do another? Just entered one. Roll on Berlin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

well done again on a great run.

I think finishing a marathon is like loosing a piece of yourself, the desire to replace it with something else (i.e another marathon) always happens to me. The amount of times I've entered a marathon the week after finishing one is quite high.

Brilliant stuff. Loved the geographic tour as well as the race account! I wondered if you would be back for more after that one. Should bump into you in the starting pen in Berlin (but not for long!). It's tough trying to interpret what the GPS is telling you into real
    numbers. If you want accuracy, you really have to go with a pace band. Hope you stick with the log. It's been a great read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

A fantastic run and a great report, you capture the psychological and physical change from mile 20 - 22 and then to finish perfectly. great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 belfastbelle

"I realise Ive lost 3 gels! Ive no excuse the gels were packed upside down in the belt when I bought them but my girlfriend had pointed this out that morning..."

"..Changed and off to cheer on my GF who is still running the course. She has been hurting since 15k but shows great spirit at 35k to comment she thought I was John Wayne due to funny walk. She battles on and completes the race. 27k of pain! Thats tough!"

Now, that's one smart, tough girlfriend you have there!!;)

Just saw a post from Village_runner that they expect Berlin entry to be closed after the weekend due to being fully subscribed. So if you were planning on going over with anyone, and they haven't signed up yet, better get them to do it this weekend!

Just saw a post from Village_runner that they expect Berlin entry to be closed after the weekend due to being fully subscribed. So if you were planning on going over with anyone, and they haven't signed up yet, better get them to do it this weekend!

Thanks, have sent the HTFU text.

Brilliant stuff. Loved the geographic tour as well as the race account! I wondered if you would be back for more after that one. Should bump into you in the starting pen in Berlin (but not for long!). It's tough trying to interpret what the GPS is telling you into real
    numbers. If you want accuracy, you really have to go with a pace band. Hope you stick with the log. It's been a great read.

Well have similar targets Id say. Im training for Carrauntoohil and warriors run first. Will be doing some weekend hill-training (long runs) when I recover for climbing endurance. I think I remember you saying somewhere that you were hoping to practice the uphill stuff so your welcome to come along to try it out. Usually do about 3 climbs ay about 70% race effort (very slow) keeping relaxed and just trying to keep running as high as possible up the hill. Regroup, down we go and onto the next one. Usually train around Powerscourt.

A great read about a great run. Its terrific to see you running with the full confidence of the hard training you've done and having the mental toughness to come through to meet your goals. See you (from the rear distance !!) on the hills.

• Advertisement
Advertisement