Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

soild fuel stove advise

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 charlie b

anybody out there know where the best place to get a granite hearth made to size been given price of 250 euro how does that sound???

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

I would imagine any stonemason that makes headstones would be willing and able.........dont have a clue on price though, I was lucky my son is a stone mason and happened to have a suitable piece ;) They are available from the placed that sell the stoves but are expensive and are normally slate.

I would check around the headstone guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭celtboy1888

if anyone is fitting these stoves...make sure you read the book that comes with the stove...and building regs 2007 section j...

i am a chimney sweep and i have to get stoves removed every week due to wrongly installed!!

if you are using a 'flexi flue'...you have to insulate around it..the space between the flexi flue and the existing flue liner...if not condensation will build up when it is in use...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You could try http://www.silkestone.ie/

They supplied me with granite tiles for my shower and were good on price and nice to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

if anyone is fitting these stoves...make sure you read the book that comes with the stove...and building regs 2007 section j...

i am a chimney sweep and i have to get stoves removed every week due to wrongly installed!!

if you are using a 'flexi flue'...you have to insulate around it..the space between the flexi flue and the existing flue liner...if not condensation will build up when it is in use...

1: would be nice to see some of the more common 'wrongly installed' issues listed.

2: How do you propose insulating properly, given that the flexi is pulled down the existing flue and will be touching it in various places. The key to reduced condensation is hot flue gases and no slow burning

• Advertisement

Carlow52 wrote: »
    1: would be nice to see some of the more common 'wrongly installed' issues listed.

2: How do you propose insulating properly, given that the flexi is pulled down the existing flue and will be touching it in various places. The key to reduced condensation is hot flue gases and no slow burning

1. installed straight into an existing open fire, with just the opening bricked up...the soot falls down the back of it...

2. too close to presses and other 'flammable materials..

3. installed into an 'open' flue...no lining at all.

4. flexi flue not insulated..and when you go to sweep...it moves and can rip.

if you are fitting a flexi flue, you have to insulate...regardless of the clearance between the existing flue and the new one..

we always scan the chimney prior to installation of any new appliance, or if the customer is changing from one appliance to another..i.e coal to gas etc.

You can get some degree of control over the spots that touch by manipulating the liner before and during filling. I don't think mine is touching in more than one or two spots at bends.

Even in a worse case scenario,you are still looking at insulating 99% of the surface area of the liner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

cnocbui and celtboy1888: tks for feedback: what insulation is used most: vermiculite?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

Not sure you are entirely correct, celtboy. Excerpt from here , "For solid fuel and wood, the space around the liner is normally back-filled with perlite or vermiculite but the fill may be omitted if you are confident that there will be no condensation." As with any condensation, ventilation plays a critical part. I have an old draughty house ( brick chimney flue ) so my flexiflue is uninsulated, in a modern airtight house the flue might have to be insulated .

cnocbui and celtboy1888: tks for feedback: what insulation is used most: vermiculite?

That's what I used. Did a great job.

• Advertisement

muggyog wrote: »
    Not sure you are entirely correct, celtboy. Excerpt from here , "For solid fuel and wood, the space around the liner is normally back-filled with perlite or vermiculite but the fill may be omitted if you are confident that there will be no condensation." As with any condensation, ventilation plays a critical part. I have an old draughty house ( brick chimney flue ) so my flexiflue is uninsulated, in a modern airtight house the flue might have to be insulated .

so whats the point in fitting a stove? ll heat goes up the chimnney?

as for your flue..you could insulate it f you wanted to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hi celtboy, I have a stove installed in our new build. My cousin installed it as he did his own. He installed the stove and used about 1 meter of flexi flue. This was pushed into the existing opening and sealed and then sealed around the stove.

Its venting into the existing flue. Is this ok, correct?

Hi celtboy, I have a stove installed in our new build. My cousin installed it as he did his own. He installed the stove and used about 1 meter of flexi flue. This was pushed into the existing opening and sealed and then sealed around the stove.

well hard to say, if i cant see it, but ye say 1mtr of flexi...is it the right one? does it conform to building regs 2007??

>>>

Features of the Flexflue chimney liner

• Class 1 twin walled flexible flue liner.
    • Multifuel type liner suitable for use with multifuel burning stoves, fires or boilers.
    • Conforms to European standard EN1856-2-2004 tightness class P1 requirements for venting gas, liquid or solid fuel.
    • Superior stability of the seam due to the three layers of interlocked steel. The outer corrugated layer provides a protective casing to minimise any damage during installation and to protect the inner layer from corrosion due to attack from residual deposits.
    • Bending diameter of 3-4 times the pipe diameter giving the pipe maximum flexibility.

some people just connect a flexi to the rear outlet of stove and run it up chimney...but it needs to be properly sealed , if it is an insert stove, if it is to sit outside the flue, like on the hearth...the flexi/steel inlet pipe can be no longer than 150mm on the horizontal..hope this helps

well hard to say, if i cant see it, but ye say 1mtr of flexi...is it the right one? does it conform to building regs 2007??

>>>

Features of the Flexflue chimney liner

• Class 1 twin walled flexible flue liner.
    • Multifuel type liner suitable for use with multifuel burning stoves, fires or boilers.
    • Conforms to European standard EN1856-2-2004 tightness class P1 requirements for venting gas, liquid or solid fuel.
    • Superior stability of the seam due to the three layers of interlocked steel. The outer corrugated layer provides a protective casing to minimise any damage during installation and to protect the inner layer from corrosion due to attack from residual deposits.
    • Bending diameter of 3-4 times the pipe diameter giving the pipe maximum flexibility.

some people just connect a flexi to the rear outlet of stove and run it up chimney...but it needs to be properly sealed , if it is an insert stove, if it is to sit outside the flue, like on the hearth...the flexi/steel inlet pipe can be no longer than 150mm on the horizontal..hope this helps

Sounds exactly the way we have it. We used the fire cement that came with the stove to seal the part that attached to the back of the stove.

Sounds exactly the way we have it. We used the fire cement that came with the stove to seal the part that attached to the back of the stove.
    personally speaking..i always try to use heat resistant silicone where possible..it expands and contracts with out coming away from the surface like fire cement..

personallyspeaking..i always try to ued heat risitant silicone where possible..it expands and contracts with out coming away from the surface like fire cement..

Deadly. Ill try that over the weekend. I noticed that the fire cement does flake off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Deadly. Ill try that over the weekend. I noticed that the fire cement does flake off.

just check the tube for temperature range. My flu has got cherry red on a full blast. Its had to imagine any type of silicone resist that temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

gsxr1 wrote: »
    just check the tube for temperature range. My flu has got cherry red on a full blast. Its had to imagine any type of silicone resist that temp.
    +1 I jave seen heat resistant silicone go up in flames more than once. Fire cement is the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm getting a stove installed soon and plan to have a soot door at the back of the fireplace, on the outside of the house. The builder said that I don't need a chimney liner as it's a new chimney but if I do install one, how does the soot box thingy connect up to the flue pipe ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Hi. I just came across this product - which is being used to line walls of chimney where fireback has been removed. Its supposed to have an insulating effect.

I never heard mention of this stuff when I installed my own stove 18 months ago. Just wondering to what extent it insulates??? I ask as i know when stove is being used, there is some loss of heat - as its being absorbed by the walls of the chimney surrounding the stove (with benefit of hindsight, stove could have done with being that little bit further forward).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Unless you have valid concerns over the heatloss on the outside of the wall, I don't see a huge point in this.
    Any chimney stack which is made of brick will absorb heat over the duration of the lit period and will mainly release this back into the room over the next few hours.
    My chimney is a feature of my livingroom and is a very imposing bare-brick structure.
    It releases the heat from the fire back into the room over nearly 18 hours.
    I would only consider adding insulation to the rear of the chimney if I had excessive heat loss at that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 leojake

HI I AM THINKING OF PUTTING IN A MULTI FUEL STOVE ANY IDEAS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

leojake wrote: »
    HI I AM THINKING OF PUTTING IN A MULTI FUEL STOVE ANY IDEAS

Yeh READ THIS THREAD

but honestly how longs a piece of string? Try and be a little more specific, if nothing else describe what your starting with, current fireplace and type/state of chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

ttm wrote: »
    Yeh READ THIS THREAD
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,932 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

No advice but looking for advice on stainless steel chimneys, they are god damned expensive, almost three times the price of the stove. I know they have to double insulated, if anyone as advice on where to get a stainless steel chimney as a good price i would appreciate some direction!

Thanks in advance

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    No advice but looking for advice on stainless steel chimneys, they are god damned expensive, almost three times the price of the stove. I know they have to double insulated, if anyone as advice on where to get a stainless steel chimney as a good price i would appreciate some direction!

Thanks in advance

I can't really help on price but again a bit more info might help others help :)

Are you lining a chimney or creating a new one to go up outside the house with insulated sections of ss pipe? If you are lining a chimney then you probably need the double walled pipe, the spec is in this thread somewhere and not insulated pipe, the gap beteen the pipe and the chimney is then insulated with vermiculite (hunt around for vermiculite as I've seen some very expensive bags if you pick the wrong supplier)

Then how much was the stove if it was a 500euro or less job then 3 times the price might be OK but if the stove was a couple of grand then 3 times the price would be expensive.

I can't really help on price but again a bit more info might help others help :)

Are you lining a chimney or creating a new one to go up outside the house with insulated sections of ss pipe? If you are lining a chimney then you probably need the double walled pipe, the spec is in this thread somewhere and not insulated pipe, the gap beteen the pipe and the chimney is then insulated with vermiculite (hunt around for vermiculite as I've seen some very expensive bags if you pick the wrong supplier)

Then how much was the stove if it was a 500euro or less job then 3 times the price might be OK but if the stove was a couple of grand then 3 times the price would be expensive.

You hit it on the nail, my situation is trying to install a stove into a log cabin style extension, the exterior walls are cladded in hard wood on marine ply, insulation and then plaster board finish on inside. Its an extremely large room and high ceiling hence the need to compliment existing oil central heating. My entire cottage is single story with loft so the stainless steel chimney would only need to be approx 10ft from the el blow. Just seems to be outrageously expensive and half the price a cement chimney would cost (unfortunately not an option with the wood finish exterior):(

Dempo1 wrote: »
    You hit it on the nail, my situation is trying to install a stove into a log cabin style extension, the exterior walls are cladded in hard wood on marine ply, insulation and then plaster board finish on inside. Its an extremely large room and high ceiling hence the need to compliment existing oil central heating. My entire cottage is single story with loft so the stainless steel chimney would only need to be approx 10ft from the el blow. Just seems to be outrageously expensive and half the price a cement chimney would cost (unfortunately not an option with the wood finish exterior):(

So is the stove on a wall or in the middle of a room? I have a woodburning cooker against a wall of a wooden extension but I did put in a blockwork wall to back the stove.

Sounds like middle of the room in which case you don't actually need insulated pipe from the elbow. Internally you don't really need insulated pipe at all except where you go out through the roof. You could do the first section up to the height of the loft in vitrious enamal pipe (for the look of it) then just a short section of insulated pipe as you go from the loft floor out through the roof - if you can't do that I'm sure someone will say ;)

Give us some prices (and sizes) as for 10ft it sounds expensive but without actual figures its hard to say.

So is the stove on a wall or in the middle of a room? I have a woodburning cooker against a wall of a wooden extension but I did put in a blockwork wall to back the stove.

Sounds like middle of the room in which case you don't actually need insulated pipe from the elbow. Internally you don't really need insulated pipe at all except where you go out through the roof. You could do the first section up to the height of the loft in vitrious enamal pipe (for the look of it) then just a short section of insulated pipe as you go from the loft floor out through the roof - if you can't do that I'm sure someone will say ;)

Give us some prices (and sizes) as for 10ft it sounds expensive but without actual figures its hard to say.

Hi again,

Unfortunately this was after thought so i don't want to disturb the roof, i was kinda hoping to sit the stove away from the wall, free standing as such so i guess i stuck with the insulated chimney, this said, i noticed you mentioned only the section going through the wall needs to be insulated so perhaps this might keep the cost down. The current quotes are running between €900 and €1,200 and this does not include installing costs but my plumbers a decent chap, thank god! the stove only cost €299, small enough but should do the trick nicely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Hi,

I got my flue off mi flues in summer hill. They will quote you on flue if you send them a list of flue parts. I think they will also design it for you, if you need it.

Perhaps you should look at Doherty FLues in the UK. http://www.docherty.co.uk/#Vitmaster

They are very good products. Not sure about a stockist here thou.. I got some thrown in with my stove, came from england..

Advertisement