Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Don't tell us, tell O'Keefe and Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bards

From The Irish Examiner http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/proposed-motorway-could-lead-to-further-flooding-warns-an-taisce-113297.html

Proposed motorway could lead to further flooding, warns An Taisce
    By Fiachra O Cionnaith

Saturday, February 27, 2010

LOBBY group An Taisce has warned there is no justification in building a major motorway in north-west Cork, claiming it could inadvertently cause further flooding in the area.

In its submission to An Bord Pleanála, the environmental group said building the Baile Bhuirne-Macroom N22 extension was based on a "failed international development model" and contradicted the Government’s "smarter travel" policies.

The group has warned that a number of issues – including impact to the local eco-system, possible water pollution – bring into question the value of the move.

However, it has specifically stated that building on a reservoir basin near Ballyvourney could put nearby property at risk from potential future flooding – a situation it said would make the value of the road obsolete.

The development was halted in 2007 after a rare form of Kerry slug was found inhabiting the area, indicating its environmental value.

However, while a decision over renewing construction work on the site may restart after a decision by An Bord Pleanála next month, the submission from An Taisce has urged such a move to be blocked.

"Cork County Council, which is fronting this application, and the National Roads Authority (NRA), which is the real applicant in this case, have failed to justify either the need for this road proposal or its strategic justification as an investment priority," the group’s submission claimed.

Referring to the impact of a diversion on the Owengarve River, the environmental lobby group openly asked whether such a move "could cause flooding problems later".

A spokesperson for Cork County Council could not be contacted last night.

While An Taisce has raised concerns over the value of the development, it is seen as essential by those dependent on a high-class infrastructure between Kerry and north west Cork.

The new road was first put forward by planners more than 30 years ago, while the area between Ballyvourney and Mons is regarded by the National Roads Authority (NRA) as one of the worst sections of national primary road in Ireland.

After the 2007 delay, the development was described by Environment Minister John Gormley as the "umbilical cord" between Cork and Kerry

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/proposed-motorway-could-lead-to-further-flooding-warns-an-taisce-113297.html#ixzz0gjHAsagW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Bards wrote: »
    The development was halted in 2007 after a rare form of Kerry slug was found inhabiting the area, indicating its environmental value.

I didn't realise there were any Healy-Raes living near Macroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

An Taisce rearing their ugly heads again. Although an environmental group should exist to bring sanity into a few things, An Taisce seem to serially object to everything with utterly wild suggestions of how bad the road will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bards

Furet wrote: »
    I didn't realise there were any Healy-Raes living near Macroom.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 avrillena

Just wondering, do many people make the trip from Kerry to Cork everyday on this road? Moved to Cork recently but from Kerry and would love to move home. I don't mind the drive but I know people think I'm crazy to do it 5 days a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

avrillena wrote: »
    Just wondering, do many people make the trip from Kerry to Cork everyday on this road? Moved to Cork recently but from Kerry and would love to move home. I don't mind the drive but I know people think I'm crazy to do it 5 days a week!

Depending on which part of the city your going to, you would need to allow for 2 hrs. tralee to cuh in 1:40 / 1:45 'ish.
    Depends on your time of departure.
    On a few occassions it has taken me over 2 hrs.
    July / August are usually worst due to increased traffic volumes.
    Dec / Jan / Feb can be bleak enough too...

it's not necessarily the time ... it's the frustration of being stuck behind a concertina of traffic moving at about 40 kmph...

Bards wrote: »
    From The Irish Examiner http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/proposed-motorway-could-lead-to-further-flooding-warns-an-taisce-113297.html

"Cork County Council, which is fronting this application, and the National Roads Authority (NRA), which is the real applicant in this case, have failed to justify either the need for this road proposal or its strategic justification as an investment priority," the group’s submission claimed...".

Has anyone from An Taisce EVER driven this road?
    How can you say that the need for this road is not justified?

fresca wrote: »
    Has anyone from An Taisce EVER driven this road?
    How can you say that the need for this road is not justified?

It is 50 miles from Kilarney to the Hospital in Cork. 50 miles in 2 hours is a 25mph road.

It is about 120 miles from the M50 in Dublin to the eastern fringe of Galway city and you will do that in 2 hours....normally 1:45 or so. At night you can safely drive from the Irish Sea in Baldoyle to the Atlantic in Galway Bay in 2 hours without losing your licence over it.

Why don't you people play An Taisce at their own game and PICKET them :)

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It is 50 miles from Kilarney to the Hospital in Cork. 50 miles in 2 hours is a 25mph road.

It is tralee to cuh that has taken me over 2 hrs....

• Advertisement

That would be 70 miles in 2 hours or 35mph .

That would be 70 miles in 2 hours or 35mph .
    yip ... n22 is speedy !!!!

seriously though... it's 116 km from my front door to cuh.
    should be pretty much a 1 hour journey ('ish)

yip ... n22 is speedy !!!! seriously though... it's 116 km from my front door to cuh.
    should be pretty much a 1 hour journey ('ish)

It should indeed on that new M22 Motorway that Jackie Healy Rae was promised by Bertie :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

This is Ireland were talking about here. The N22 has not been looked at in a long long time only the outskirts of Cork City.

Sure it takes me 3hrs 10mins to drive 230km of road usually on the N17/N18/N4 Limerick-Sligo and a good bit of that has been upgraded. I would hazard a guess that it must have taken 4-5 hours to do the same journey up along the west of Ireland 10-20 years ago when you take out the Claremorris/Knock bypass, Newmarket-on-Fergus, Ennis, Oranmore, Cooloney, No Sligo relief road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

The N22 is way down the list of priorities, really all it needs is a standard Macroom bypass and thats the main bottleneck sorted. There are plenty more projects in the region and nationally more deserving of attention and cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 avrillena

So are we saying it's not a totally crazy commute - just a little bit frustrating?! Maybe we should all band togther and try to push forward this bypass!!

avrillena wrote: »
    So are we saying it's not a totally crazy commute - just a little bit frustrating?! Maybe we should all band togther and try to push forward this bypass!!

OK. It's not a totally crazy commute.
    It is a lot more that "a little bit" frustrating - in fact it is very frustrating.... are you really going to take this drive on EVERY day?

This road needs significantly more than just a bypass of macroom.

The road from the end of the ballincollig bypass to north of ballyvourney needs upgrading.
    I'll accept that the road from the top of the county bounds to killarney is relatively good.
    The road from killarney to farranfore is pretty rubbish.
    Farranfore to tralee has been upgraded to wide single carriageway.

So all in all, I wouldn't fancy doing this commute EVERY day....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

The Oral Hearing takes place this week, starting tomorrow until Friday at the Castle Hotel, Macroom.

The oral hearing may finish today. Half of all the talking was done by one Peter Sweetman. He has been steadily prodding the NPWS and some consultants about the kerry slug, bats and freshwater mussels. The NPWS have admitted they have no plan to move a population of kerry slugs...if found.

He is formally representing An Taisce at the hearing I am told. How interesting!!!

jeez, they must be the best travelled slugs....:D
    The oral hearing may finish today. Half of all the talking was done by one Peter Sweetman. He has been steadily prodding the NPWS and some consultants about the kerry slug, bats and freshwater mussels. The NPWS have admitted they have no plan to move a population of kerry slugs...if found.

He is formally representing An Taisce at the hearing I am told. How interesting!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

jeez, they must be the best travelled slugs....:D

Lol that's the new motorway network for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Mr Sweetman is down to only half of the speaking time? He must be slipping up.
    The NPWS have admitted they have no plan to move a population of kerry slugs...if found.

Careful with the editing there Ted - it's probably more likely that the NPWS pointed out that moving slugs is not exactly within the realms of the possible. It's a bit like me 'admitting' that I don't have a plan for what I'll do when Liv Tyler asks me to marry her. In other words, I wouldn't worry unduly about Mr Sweetman's grandstanding, Inspectors are well used to him by now - a specific claim under the EIA/EIS Directives would be much more troubling.

Anyways, sure all the Kerry slugs will be off to Killarney on June 6th for the Cork game. Problem solved.

they come home for the summer...
    they'll be heading off again round the start of october... on their travels!!!
    :D:D:D
    Aidan1 wrote: »
    Anyways, sure all the Kerry slugs will be off to Killarney on June 6th for the Cork game. Problem solved.

Aidan1 wrote: »
    Careful with the editing there Ted - it's probably more likely that the NPWS pointed out that moving slugs is not exactly within the realms of the possible. It's a bit like me 'admitting' that I don't have a plan for what I'll do when Liv Tyler asks me to marry her.

The NPWS were pressed on whether they would relocate a population known to be in the way of the road and they admitted that they had never investigated the possibility and therefore had no plan.

But Sweetman knew all this before he even asked and the good news is that it concerns the Ballyvourney stretch not the Macroom bypass end of it ...which is uncontroversial I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ForiegnNational

Half of all the talking was done by one Peter Sweetman.

For those of us who don't know Mr Sweetman's background, would anybody be able to provide a (non-libelous) potted history?

He objects to every single project in every single thread in this forum ....well maybe not the Barna Bypass.....yet. That's all you need to know. I would dearly love to know who funds him !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭imangry29

So annoyed I didn't hear about this Oral Hearing before last week. I would have submitted a personal submission that would have taken up half the hearing and keep this Sweetman guy silenced. Hope someone at the Hearing reminded those assembled that Gormley, when in Macroom previously, described the N22 as the "umbilical chord between Kerry and Cork". Saw a fairly decent submission from Killarney Chamber of Commerce http://www.killarney.ie/newsview.php?id=227, although it should have been more fleshed out and technical/professional in its content. Got Lee Valley Enterprise Board's submission via e-mailing list....poorly written, not very detailed at all. Anyone at the hearing? Did the pro-new-road speakers perform well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ForiegnNational

nordydan wrote: »

To be correct:

N22 Ballyvourney to Macroom
    Type 2 Dual Carriageway (22km)
    Awaiting An Bord Pleanala Decision

N22 Macroom to Ballincollig
    Suspended

It is the Ballyvourney to Macroom (plus Macroom bypass) that is the most critical. The road from Macroom to Oven's is wide single-carriageway, and in far better condition than many other National Roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Aug2009

It seems the NRA in their wisdom are just going to wait until there is a serious accident on theis road before they do anything about it.

Tourism feeds Kerry and tour buses being stopped for 45 minutes in one spot isnt going to do much for tourism. Perhaps Macroom Urban Council should go about putting in a rest stop for the tourist buses - at least it would get them off the road:P

Then perhaps they could look at knocking the building across from MAtt Murphys Pharmacy. THat causes a lot of the trouble.

When will we ever learn in Ireland that if yo9u build it they will come!!!

Advertisement