Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI Graduate Area Manager... Am I mad?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I'm glad that this thread has served as an eyeopener to jobs that offer rediculus incentives in the first place. Buyer beware and all that. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Most graduates are going to be studying so if you think about its not that much, for example an accountant/actuary will spend years studying to qualify and will then after maybe 6 years be on the same as what a first year graduate workin with aldi.

Hard work never killed anyone.

Seems to me it would make more sense to work 2 normal jobs in that case. And BTW hard work has killed lots of people from stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cfitz86

Im thinking about applying for the LIDL managmenet programme, has anyone done it? or is anyone currently doing it? Iv worked for Dunnes in the past and that was an absolute nightmare, employees are treated with virtually no respect or common curtosy, Can the same be said for LIDL?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Oasis44

cfitz86 wrote: »
    Im thinking about applying for the LIDL managmenet programme, has anyone done it? or is anyone currently doing it? Iv worked for Dunnes in the past and that was an absolute nightmare, employees are treated with virtually no respect or common curtosy, Can the same be said for LIDL?

Are you serious? Dunnes would be like Heaven compared to the hell that is Aldi or Lidl - if you thought dunnes was tough dont waste your time applying for the aldi/lidl jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Mairead1975

Hi

Ive heard awful stories, but a job is a job nowdays. Maybe short term pain for long term gain. Ive heard that you can go from Managing the store to cleaning the loo's. Ive interviewed 2 people who worked there and they were doing a 70-80 hour week, and that's when Aldi was unheard of!

Group interview - fine line between being too gobby. Important to listen to what other people are saying, acknowledge when they make a good suggestion, show that you're a team player, stay cool, non confrontational, thank interviewers at the end....basic stuff.

You can expect, team exercises, in-tray exercises, work related tasks, discussion

All the best with whatever you decide

Mairead
    http://www.careermentors.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 johns1664

cfitz86 wrote: »

Which management programme - Store or area? I do District Manager program.

I would probably prefer Aldi to Lidl, if I ever had to choose. I have only worked for Lidl though. I have met people at Lidl who worked for Aldi, and there seems to be better rewards at Aldi. I am not just talking money/ car, but breaks, insurance etc. Also Lidl is trying to do too much now - 1600 product lines making harder to work in store, harder to work at a fast pace. I think they re having a hard time right now, competition is fierce right now. Lidl has less market share than Aldi, but Lidl has more stores, I think Aldi is run better.

My experience working for Lidl is a bad one. Dont get me wrong, I mean I really work my guts out, put in the hours and all that stuff, that's not a problem. But the thing with Lidl is that I just find most of the managers really rude. I have a boss that shouts at me for no reason. I think it's just the stress of retail, but more so in Lidl where there's few staff and little technology.

In terms of respect / courtesy I say it's pretty lacking. I ve dealt with loads of rude /demanding people before, but I have never, ever, EVER dealt with people like the ones you work with at Lidl :eek:. It's not that there demanding they re just unreasonable. Its corporate bullying really. My boss speaks to me so rudely, but I dont answer him back, not because I cant but because I am so shocked by his rudeness, I am really lost for words! Not everyone is rude though, but I say most are

I have never worked in a place before where staff are not allowed a key to the changing rooms/toilet area. the reason is that the manager does not trust the staff. So staff at a particular store have to ask to be let in! They're also really paranoid about staff so they may do the honesty check e.g. leave 10 euros on the floor, and see if it gets handed in.

The pay is good, but remember that if you are paid E 40k, divide it by the hours - 60 or more and hourly rate becomes poor. I also had to opt out of working time directive (WTD) to take the job......Convenient they say it is just a 50 hour week, 2 hours above the 48 for WTD, meaning you opt out. In reality, more than 50.

You could try it anyway, not enjoyable for me though, they want people who are black and white in thinking. And its a really disciplined company, they check how clean our company cars are. I cleaned my car twice in a week once, and they still read out my name in front of others to humiliate me, saying it was dirty (there was a bit of dirt but not much, just from the journey that morning, and let's face it we can't spend all day polishing our car!!!)

Of course you might find you enjoy it, good luck anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

You could try it anyway, not enjoyable for me though, they want people who are black and white in thinking. And its a really disciplined company, they check how clean our company cars are. I cleaned my car twice in a week once, and they still read out my name in front of others to humiliate me, saying it was dirty (there was a bit of dirt but not much, just from the journey that morning, and let's face it we can't spend all day polishing our car!!!)
    You have got to be kidding me! Honestly, i would have told your boss to shove the company car up his arse. How can you even take such policies seriously? Working in retail is bad enough...working under Nazi like perfectionists while doing it...er no thanks. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Seámus-Púbach

just had interview today for lidl district manager

I only literally turned 20 last week so I think they were more pushing me towards the deputy store manager

thing is im not sure whether or not to go back to college and do a new course or take the job if i get offered

screw it im only 20... i could do it for a year and get a bit of bob together couldnt i??!!!:eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Do you have any experience in retail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

For the district manager programme, Lidl prefer people with little or no experience. This may not lead to a job in the retail area, you may go into distribution, property, marketing, IT..it depends on your degree and how well you perform.
    If your only 20 you might as well give it a go, but remember this. The aim is to break you. If you can handle this, then you will survive. I frequently had new TDM's arrive in the warehouse, so we would give them a couple of 18 hour days picking and packing. Checking temperature etc. Some did not come back after the first day. They usually gave it a week to see if it got any better.....it didn't!
    The new MD in Lidl is a tough bloke, but is fair. Be glad that PK has gone home. Just be aware that the german staff there are only there to make a name for themselves.
    And be careful with the procedure for giving in your expenses, its awkward and they will reject anything that is not 100% correct.

Any more questions just ask

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

For the district manager programme, Lidl prefer people with little or no experience. This may not lead to a job in the retail area, you may go into distribution, property, marketing, IT..it depends on your degree and how well you perform.
    If your only 20 you might as well give it a go, but remember this. The aim is to break you. If you can handle this, then you will survive. I frequently had new TDM's arrive in the warehouse, so we would give them a couple of 18 hour days picking and packing. Checking temperature etc. Some did not come back after the first day. They usually gave it a week to see if it got any better.....it didn't!
    The new MD in Lidl is a tough bloke, but is fair. Be glad that PK has gone home. Just be aware that the german staff there are only there to make a name for themselves.
    And be careful with the procedure for giving in your expenses, its awkward and they will reject anything that is not 100% correct.

Any more questions just ask

Back when I was looking for a job, I was interviewed by both and TBH I was more impressed by Aldi than Lidi. I remember sitting in an interview for Lidi with two German ***** (yes *****) and thinking that it had to be one of the worst jobs going. On the other hand Aldi seemed more professional in their approach towards prospective employees. If I was doing it again I would go for Aldi over Lidi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

thing is im not sure whether or not to go back to college and do a new course or take the job if i get offered

screw it im only 20... i could do it for a year and get a bit of bob together couldnt i??!!!:eek::confused:

It's very hard to give up work (and a regular income) and go back to full-time study. If you want/need the qualifications, go back to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Be glad that PK has gone home.

Definately. Although I enjoyed trying to chat away to PK for aslong as I could until he left the store. :D

just had interview today for lidl district manager

I only literally turned 20 last week so I think they were more pushing me towards the deputy store manager

Yeah I agree you could save up money for a year from working there. Even as Deputy Manager you will get good leadership skills and responsibility at Lidl.

Remember that a year in Lidl is a long time, and even as deputy you will be in the middle of store assistants and store manager. This can be a tough place - the store manager wants results - the SA may not care much. Working early or late shifts, and because you're on salary you may work many hours.

But it will look great on your CV and give you the money for uni.

You might want to look at Aldi too. And talk to the staff as much as possible @ Lidl, just so you're ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭FreedomJoe

Going for an interview with Lidl next week.

Read all the above stories, and to be honest I would rather just not bother.

But lets face it, getting a job in Ireland is tough today.

I have tried finding lwork at loads of places and got no where, and with the government about to introduce Welfare cuts as in the Snip report a job is better than a life on the dole.

Im thinking maybe just stick to it untill I find something else/better, its easier to find work when your in a job than out of it.

Of course thats if i get a job with them!

I received this email from them

Thank you for your application. We would like to take this opportunity to invite you to an Assessment Centre, which will be held in our Regional Distribution Centre at Lough Sheever Corporte Park, Castlepollard Road, Mullingar, Co. Westemath.

The Assessment Centre will be approximately 3 hours in duration.

3 Hours just for a Assessment at 6pm at night?

Clearly a sign of things to come!

Anyone have any ideas what this is and what to expect?

Thanks

okay am not sure what position you are applying 4, and I would not put that much detail on this site anyway. Can't answer specifically.

in broad terms Lidl culture/people are as follows, so display these things in you're answers....

Sense of urgency - everything done real quick.
    Discipline - when asked to do something do it (don't say yeah but...)
    Trust no one
    Control - Don't be too relaxed - e.g. it does matter if an employee is 3 minutes late
    Efficiency is key - do things the easiest and simplest way
    Good time management
    Multi- tasking - in store you have to go from checkout, to stock filling, to helping customer.

the company is not really flexible but they expect you to be flexible, and I find them quite nosy when asking questions to applicants e.g. where else are you applying? How far have you got with that application......they may even follow up in the second round interview saying how is your application progressing with Aldi! :eek:

in some assessments they may get you to do a test and pull you into a individual interview, then you go back to the test, to see how you cope with interruptions + can multi-task.

Group assessments should show you have leadership, so make sure you re heard, but also listen to others. And in a group presentation make sure you ask many questions, showing interest in retail.

Also you may be shown a presentation - make sure you remember what they show you - you may be questionned after. Write notes if you can.

You may also get questions on maths (without a calculator), e.g. if you have 200 m rod, how many 20.6 cm lengths can you get into it and how much remaining. Don't worry if you don't get 100% correct, just stay calm they are seeing how you cope with pressure too.

So practice maths without calculator + also do an online iq test, as I think dey may give you tests like spot the missing shape/missing number.

Remember dat it doesn't matter what background you have just show you willing to learn there way of doin things. Determination, flexibility, sense of urgency, leadership and teamwork skills essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 paulie1981

Hi all,

Sorry to revive a month old thread but I'd appreciate some input.

I'm seriously considering applying for the area manager programme with Aldi and am wondering how much emphasis do they place on the 2.1 degree?

I have a business degree but unfortunately it isn't a 2.1. I have a number of years experience working for the distributor of a very popular car brand as business development/area sales manager. I would hope that this would be considered over the lack of a 2.1.

I consider myself very lucky in the current climate (I hate that phrase!) to have a good job with a co. car etc. but Aldi would offer more diverse and extensive management experience.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Mairead1975

Hi there

To be honest I wouldnt reflect too much on this and just go ahead and apply. As with all roles at the moment, there will be competition, but if you dont apply soon, you wont know!! Your CV is only as good as you make it and things like 2:1 v's 2:2's are things that are outside of your control, so why worry about them.!! You have to just tailor your CV as much as possible for what they are looking for

LIDL and ALDI are extremely tough places to work. Ive met alot of people who have worked in them and whilst the car and the salary maybe appealing, the turnover of staff is very high due to the hours and culture. This was the case before the recession - this may have changed since though. One person I met in a management role was working a 70-80 hour week.

I'd just apply and draw your make your own decisions if you get offered the job. You dont have to take anything you're offered. If you get an interview then great, if not, you just have to move on

Regards
    Mairead

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Oasis44

It amazes me how anyone would want to work for aldi/lidl after reading this thread. They expect their staff to work like machines, have no life and be on call 24/7. These companies have assessment centres every single month - does that not say it all? Its because their turnover of staff is huge and from my understanding most managers last 12-18 months max before packing it in. Each to their own of course but seriously shop around before going to work for these companies. BTW the maximum work hours in Ireland is 48 hours per week and these companies blatently ignore this fact and make the managers 'sign out' of the working time directive.

If any senior Aldi/Lidl staff are reading this you should be ashamed of your work 'culture' and the way you treat your personnel :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yesh they should just hire two area managers for each area and a manager team for their stores add the cost to their grocery selling price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,431 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Heard all the horror stories as well as a mate was an Area Manager for Lidls.
    He was easily doing 14 hour days 6-7 days a week.
    Start by 7am and most nights it would be 10pm by the time he'd pack it in.
    No fun at all.

But I imagine if you were able to stick it out for 2-3 years you'll have an extremely solid CV for applying for your next job and they'd bite your hand off to hire you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 HaydensMom

Go for it I say. I know for recent graduates the 2.1 is a requirement but they might well appreciate the experience more. My advice would be to address the lack of 2.1 in your cover letter and outline how your work experience compensates for this. Also I'm sure they would be impressed that you are willing to leave a good job to join the company and not just applying off the cuff cos you're unemployed. In my humble opinion they are looking for personal qualities more so than fantastic degrees. Anyone that has had contact with any of the higher-ups in Aldi/Lidl would probably agree that they all have similar characteristics - very professional and serious, quietly confident, the kind of people that command respect. They are also willing to sacrifice their personal life for the good of the company. If this is you, Donald will spot it straight off at the first interview. In the second interview, be prepared to explain why you didn't get the cursed 2.1. That's my advice.

However, I didn't make it past first interview so I could be talking out my bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kathrynyoung839

For my personal Blogg on my Aldi Interview please visit:

http://graduatejobsuk.blogspot.com/

I went to the Middleton branch and detail all the content of the interview!

Hope this helps

Thanks

xxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Yes, please visit your blog, which is private. Clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kathrynyoung839

Sorry for inconvienience...

PLease find my personal experience on the following Facebook Groups:
    'Job Hunting After University?' or 'graduate jobs - graduate-jobs.com'

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 amy3000

Hey just got a letter for a grouo interview for the Aldi graduate area manager postion. Was wondering if anyone has any advice on the 5 min presentation, what kind of thing they are looking for, or examples of other presentations they have heard. Ive also read about the survival group task and was wondering if anyone knows the right answer? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dmac0202

Oasis44 wrote: »
    They expect their staff to work like machines, have no life and be on call 24/7.

So true. Some of my experiences as a Store Assistant for Aldi include working a 6-8 hour stretches with no break; If I arrive for work one minute before my start time I'm "late" yet they have no problem keeping me on after my assigned finish time; frequent phone-calls asking me to come in earlier than scheduled or getting a call on a day that I'm off asking me to come in that day (effectively being on call); frequent locker checks and PLU tests; ridiculous till speed targets (>1000 items/hour) and the list goes on.

Unfortunately, when it comes to jobs it's an employers market right now and whilst I'm doing what I can to get out, complaining to them about this is pointless as their attitude would most likely be "if you don't like it you can leave" and right now that's not a viable option for me.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mykhailo

Hi guys! I've seen you are talking about ALDI here. I need your help in one question. I'm working in the quite same company in Ukraine. And I strongly need an information on how ALDI promoted itself in web. If anybody could help me, please write. Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 outta

Im the same now Freedom

Got a interview. How did u get on? Any news would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

what exactly is a graduate job?
    as in is a tradesman the same qualification?

Advertisement