Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI Graduate Area Manager... Am I mad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

You're screwing yourselves if you fall into the trap. There is more to life than money.

yeah the trap of being paid handsomely, pull the other one. :rolleyes:

"caged in" by a high salary, i've never heard such sh*t in all my life, cry me a river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

If you work for these people here is a good sig

"I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me"

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Oasis44

"caged in" by a high salary, i've never heard such sh*t in all my life, cry me a river.

You obviously dont have a mortgage, kids and numerous bills to pay dodger - this womans husband is working for aldi/lidl to pay for all of that so of course they are 'caged in' to a degree. Bottom line is the other supermarkets dont pay anywhere near as good as aldi/lidl but the difference is the people who work for those companies actually have a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

Aldi came in to my college to talk to us on the area manager course!

They would not answer a straight question! For instance how long will you need to work!

Also they joked-

"At Aldi an area manager’s office is the booth of his car!"

In my opinion to be effective in this role you would need to definitely work 55hrs+, regardless of your time management skills!!

You would need to be positive beyond a shadow of a doubt that the retail sector and the increases hours that come with such roles compared to other sectors, is what you want to do. Furthermore you would need a genuine interest in specific retail management roles, such as category management.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I think what they are trying to say is that they were promised a good salary based on a 45hr week (roughly) what that job turns out to be is less of a running your own store and more of a hard slog and long hours.

they have to hit certain figures in order to keep their job, in order to hit those figures they need to keep costs down , this is done by reducing labour costs and working long (unpaid) hours.

this would be the trap she was talking about , once you're in its hard to get out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

What if you start the job, go over the year toeing the line and then just run the place strictly on a 40 hour or 48 hour week? What could they do?

They can't fire you if you are doing a good job in that time.

Sound's like a good idea......

But, I'll tell you exactly what they will do:

~If you don't put in the extra hours yourself, you will have ques going up through the supermarket, fail KPI no.1, warning.

~You won't have the hours to get the stock on the shop floor in time for sale and you will get stuck with a load of waste food that will cost the store money, fail KPI o.2 warning.

~You won't have the hours to set up the special offers ever Thursday and Sunday, que customer complaints and reduced product participation for your offers in comparative to other stores in your same category. Fail KPI no.3, meeting, demotion, nice heart to heart chat about how you should be looking for something else.

~ then your on the hit list, 3 visits in 3 weeks by your and a few other big bosses, Fail, your gone.....

That's how retail works at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Wowza, just read this thread. I can't believe these companies get away with treating people like this. People are mad to sign their life away like this for a flash car and big salary.

With the company I work for, I was on a team for a store opening a few years back and it was 75-90 hours p/w for 8 weeks. Mind you, they put us up in a nearby hotel and gave us an extra week's paid holiday to recover from the extra hours we all put in. It really takes the life out of you but I saw at there was light at the end of the tunnel and we were constantly rewarded for our hard work.

Don't be naive. These hours are not for the faint hearted. I signed my life away for 2 months and couldn't imagine having to do it permanently. What's the point in earning loads of money towards a better lifestyle if you don't have the time to enjoy it? You only live once people. Don't be overly tempted by a shiny CV and a rung on the corporate ladder if the above horror stories are the price you pay in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cocopopp

Hey guys,
    I was just wondering if anyone has actually started their training programme and what do they think of it!I think Id really like a managerial position in Aldi and Im aware of the hard work involved.Do people find it challenging and exciting??Id really appreciate some feedback if you have any on the Graduate programme!Like what does the working day consist of and how many hours per week would you really work? Is it a rewarding position and Im not just talking about the dough!Cheers for feedback!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

My cousin went from 3 years and a number of IT jobs into the same programme in Lidl, last year. He's 27.

He was very well trained and they had an excellent system. But it was a massive shock to his system. He went from jobs where he had very little responsibility to a job where he has full responsibility and he is accountable for everything. He found it very very hard the first few months, and that wasn't just the hours. But to be fair they gave him very good training.He's now got his own shop in Dublin that he's the manager for, and asides from the horrendous hours, he's happy enough.His biggest gripe is that he misses many weekend nights out and activities with his friends. Also he was looking at doing an evening course in French recently, but he can't commit to anything like that because of his hours. He can't train with a team or anything. He has lost a lot of weight, not that he had it to lose, and he just can't keep on any extra....he's thinner every time I see him, from manual work at work and eating at strange hours.

He finds the customers a bit annoying sometimes (if you pay 2eur for something from their non-grocery section, do you really expect it to last forever?), and he technically works 10 hour shifts I think, but they tend to go on to 12 hours. 1 or 2 nights of the week are night shifts for stocking up the warehouse/storage area, which I think he alternates with another manager. He spends time doing stock take, ordering, working out the roster and dealing with complaints on the floor. He gets days off at Christmas - Christmas day and a half day Christmas eve I think, but you're not allowed book any holidays during that time.

Anyway I know all that is irrelevant. Basically they expect to you to take a lot of responsibility and they pay you for it. But you work damn hard for it. I come from a background where I've worked my ass off for what I get (which is not a massive amount), so it's not that unusual for me. However 5 years later I realise that you have to have a life aswell.

I suppose it's down to the individual. If you've a family to feed and a mortgage to pay, then honestly it's a good job if you can stick it out for a couple of years. Especially if you're a bit younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Caoimh37

I've about the manager roles in aldi etc, and you basically have to sign your life away. Apart from the fact that even if you are earning a handsome salary- you don't get a chance to enjoy the fruits of your labour and plus

if you actually take into account the high salary and divide it by the realistic amount of hours these managers put in, your per hour wage is probably no better than one in a standard 40hr job in a resonable enough position.....so don't be fooled the money isn't really that good

• Advertisement

This job would be my worst nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

When you consider how little of each euro extra you earn above a chekout assistants wage you wonder why people bother.

Im just genuinely wondering if any of the people with bad things to say about the job actually did it themselves and had a bad experience?I already work a 60 hr week between a traineeship and a part time job to support my qualicfication and thats for 180 euros a week.If you want to make it in this day and age you have to go the extra mile as far as Im concerned....sure it means cutting back on the weekend boozing and shannagans but I feel at 26 Ive had more than my fair share of partying on.
    I want to have a secure and prosperous future and I feel that Aldi could offer that.Id never work for Lidl and I reckon the two differentiate a lot.I reckon with the right skills you could own that job and not have it own you,its all in the person themselves.
    I would love to hear from someone doing it now though please if your out there at all!!!

Cheers boss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 paulie1981

cocopopp wrote: »
    I would love to hear from someone doing it now though please if your out there at all!!!

Cheers boss!

You probably won't hear from them here because they're too busy to be blogging about their job! I'd say drop into a store and see if you can get chatting to one somehow.

I agree 100% with what you are saying. Any successful person I know, be they self employed or in a senior position in a company, all attribute their success to hard work and long hours.

I don't think anybody with a purely 9-5, monday to friday mentality ever gets anywhere. Sure they can probably work up to a cushy job eventually. This is a general observation - not my opinion of any previous posters before I'm shot! :)

It seems that Aldi will work the balls off you and then come some but, how many companies actually tell you what progression you can expect? Life isn't all about money but you can be damned sure that a hell of a lot of it is! I reckon if you can survive an environment like that then you will be in demand and God help any slackers that ever end up working for you ;)

.If you want to make it in this day and age you have to go the extra mile as far as Im concerned..

If you are starting from nothign perhaps. There are far easier ways to the top that is for sure. I've never worked more than 40 hours in my life and I don't plan on ever doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

If you are starting from nothign perhaps. There are far easier ways to the top that is for sure. I've never worked more than 40 hours in my life and I don't plan on ever doing so.

lucky you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth then ?! or maybe your a public servant hard to know which would be best

danbohan wrote: »
    lucky you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth then ?! or maybe your a public servant hard to know which would be best
    Both!

Education plays a huge part though. Too many people mess up doing **** courses in bad colleges and repeating. No decent graduate employer will ever want to go near you after that. You then have to do things the hard way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It'd be good experience anyway.
    If your only job has been working in a office, say accounts then this will definitely take you out of your comfort zone.

Like some people are too quiet and would be incapable to give out to shop assistants showing up late. But you'd toughen up and learn and be more confident.

If you could last two years and then walk it'd be good experience, could do whatever you want after that. Maybe save and go back to college for something you want to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Read this thread a few days ago as I had an interview for a manager position today(assistant or store)

Went to two stores and spoke with one manager and one assistant manager both whom love their job.

They work 45 hours per week and are rewarded for it. in one store I visited they work one sunday in 3 but still get their 2 days off the week they work the sunday. They have very little down time in their jobs however it is a matter of time management individually after that. Neither of whom i spoke to ever worked over 50 hours a week. One of them was working till 8 that evening and said he would be out of the shop at 10 past. Also they share the early and lates so there is no change one person is left with all the late closes.

Thei job basically is to present the shop in its best and serve the customer. The area manager does the rest.

The area manager is someone who has a degree and the reasin behind that is that their degree says that they can set themselves a target and get it. I once heard that most employers whom ask for a degree as par tof the application will take any degree because it proves that you are an achiever.

now the AM's are the ones with the long hours but they do not need a background in retail as their job is not retailling but target setting and achievement. Also as they would be relatively new to the workforce they might not have the best time management skills developed yet and also I know that AM in other areas of retail also work similar hours so its nothing new to Aldi.

Well done you!! So your at the top now are you?? A little helping hand from Daddy??Hummm!?

• Advertisement

Both!

Education plays a huge part though. Too many people mess up doing **** courses in bad colleges and repeating. No decent graduate employer will ever want to go near you after that. You then have to do things the hard way.

Define a bad college please.

And since when does repeating stop people from fulfilling their ambitions?

You really can talk a load of nonsense.

Define a bad college please.

And since when does repeating stop people from fulfilling their ambitions?

You really can talk a load of nonsense.

Any college that is not a top quality university.
    Repeating is for losers. Repeating stops you getting the best graduate jobs. Not getting those jobs means you have to go for **** like this Aldi job, working 60 hours to get the same pay.

I speak nothing but the truth. I wish I was around to advise my younger self although there is not much I have got wrong.

Repeating is for losers. Repeating stops you getting the best graduate jobs. Not getting those jobs means you have to go for **** like this Aldi job, working 60 hours to get the same pay.

I speak nothing but the truth. I wish I was around to advise my younger self although there is not much I have got wrong.

Please re-read what you just wrote and tell me you're taking the piss.

Are you this vocal/idiotic when not behind a keyboard?

You've still so much to learn for a person who claims to know it all. And that's coming from a 25 year old (me). You're so clueless.

Thank God Boards.ie exists though, where would quiet ones like you vent if this was not the case?

And since when did the civil service become a stream for hiring top graduates? Don't make me laugh...

Poor Billy has lost the run of himself, pm'ing me telling me he earns more than me. What a hero.

Well you sound like the biggest nob head Ive ever come across,who said anything about repeating you ignorant turd! I was a 1H student in UCC,never repeated any exam, Ive held some amazing jobs and Im currently working in a traineeship in a solicitors firm which is well renowned and I dont know any solicitor whos on more money than what they offer at Aldi.Its presently ranked as the third best employer in Britain only after PWC and Google!

Its dead beats like you that get Irish workers a bad name.By the way you never addressed the silver spoon taunt, so we can all infer now at this stage. Go home and spoon yourself!!!!Spoon face!

Very angry response, I'd say that has gotten you in trouble before.

If you have such a quality background then shivers you looking at such a second rate job. I think you lack of career direction is costing you.

Billynomates,thats what you should be called. Hahahahaaa what high horse did you arrive in on?? Trot on anyway,your leaving a hum of horse poo around this place.... Id say that repugnant aroma permeates through the air when you speak aswell you talk so much crap.

cocopopp wrote: »
    Billynomates,thats what you should be called. Hahahahaaa what high horse did you arrive in on?? Trot on anyway,your leaving a hum of horse poo around this place.... Id say that repugnant aroma permeates through the air when you speak aswell you talk so much crap.

A bit personal, no? I'm just trying to give advice. Say no to **** 60 hour a week slave jobs.

How bad can your life be when you would consider such a job?

I didnt ask so please dont give,especially when you dont have any information to give me that will be useful....I mean really are you a real person??? This had to be someone having a wind at me because I just cant believe someone would be so arogant.Fair play if it was a wind up,you got me and if not...well.... I pity you!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Bit personal here.Though I will say Billy - I went to a good university (UCD).Got a very good degree (engineering). Not a repeat in sight. My first job I started on 32k a year, which rose by a lot after 5 months. And has risen ever since.

Peachy. Hang on though. I work 45-50 hours a week basic and when things are crazy it's up to 60 hours. Good college, no degree, no repeats, good wage, not desperate...and yet I'm still working over 40 hours a week.Hmm.

It's called responsibility and having a some sense of pride in the work you do. I've no idea what college you went to, what degree you have, or what job you do, but to be quite honest there are very few jobs out there where you get away with the attitude you have. And the people who have those jobs tend to be stuck in them for life because they have that attitude. Might seem great to you but to me I can't think of anything worse. I enjoy my life to the full, and I work hard for what I get. Sure less hours would be great but I would never ever say " I'm only working 40 hours and no more". And if you honestly think there's not much you've got wrong in life, I'm guessing you've a lot of learning/growing up to do.

As to the original poster, as I said before it's hard work but there's a good wage for it. It's a good training programme and if you're young and full of energy (!) it's a good start.

You could do a lot worse.

Advertisement