Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI Graduate Area Manager... Am I mad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭polaco

err wrote: »
    Hi,
    Your opionion seems to be completely different from the others.
    You say you are DSM (is it designate store manager?) and you have been working for them for 9 months.
    Does it mean that you started this District Manager Training Programm as DSM and working your way to become district manager?
    What car did they give you and do you get it from day 1?
    I have checked m&s and it did not seem to be interesting (i think they finished their recruitment for 2008).
    BTW: your nick is polaco - are you polish?

DSM is Deputy Store Manager I applied for District Manager but they ask me if I want to start as DSM and work all way up to District Manager about 24 people started with me as DSM's I think is only 4 maybe 5 people left people can stand condition pressure etc if you go for Trainee District Manager you have to go trough 8 months traning in store and you get car from day one (Audi A4 or VW Passat)
    If go for that job you have to forget about friends and family that job is going to take most of you life think twice before you go perhaps go for year or two save some money thats it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 err

Thank you for your response. Could you give me some advice what I should do before the interview. What to learn, what to talk about, what it is like? Did they let you choose the store?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

Jail8ird wrote: »
    Hi there

I have an interview with Aldi for Assistant Store Manager
    and I've been trawling thru Broads for some feedback on their
    interview style. I was wondering how you got on there and
    at Lidl ?

I'm coming from an IT background, no degree but 10 years
    working experience. Many people have recommended Aldi
    as a great employer, pays well as long as you work hard.
    I'm looking for something outside of Dublin and they seem
    to fit the bill, especially as they encourage non-retail types.
    As I found out speaking with some current Aldi managers,
    Aldi wants people who have not been corrupted the wrong
    way of retailing.

I've my interview next week and I'm told it'll be tough but
    their main interested in your people skills and how you
    handle stressful situations.

Ciao

J8

Hi J8, I'm just wondering how you got on with this? I'm thinking of applying for an assistant store manger position in Aldi but like you, I have no retail experience. More than 10 years in admin though but I'd like a change in career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 karlis2k3

Hi, I have a group interview with Aldi on the 31st of March for the Area Manager scheme. Can I ask if anyone has a positive experience at working for Aldi through this scheme? I keep hearing about people working 70 hour weeks all the time, can anyone verify this as I think the job sounds really good but I don't know if I could cope with working 70 hours a week and having no other life.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭polaco

err wrote: »
    Thank you for your response. Could you give me some advice what I should do before the interview. What to learn, what to talk about, what it is like? Did they let you choose the store?

They used to do 2 steps interview group one and soon after one 2 one [/I in case you were successful on the group one. Store you cant choose but if you live in Dublin you get one in Dublin
    I am pretty sure there is only one interview now
    Good Luck but as I said before is tough job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Newbie_1

Hi everyone,

I have just applied for the Aldi graduate area manager scheme. I received an automated email saying that I should hear from Aldi within 14 days, can anybody advise me on how quickly they tend to get back to you and if this is by email/post?

Cheers!

Newbie_1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I have just applied for the Aldi graduate area manager scheme. I received an automated email saying that I should hear from Aldi within 14 days, can anybody advise me on how quickly they tend to get back to you and if this is by email/post?

Cheers!

I didn't realise you could apply by email. I posted my CV 2 weeks ago (assistant store manager position) but haven't heard anything back yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though!

Pat McGhee wrote: »
    I didn't realise you could apply by email. I posted my CV 2 weeks ago (assistant store manager position) but haven't heard anything back yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though!

It was an online application via Aldi's website. I think this can only be done for the graduate area manager scheme though!

karlis2k3 wrote: »
    Hi, I have a group interview with Aldi on the 31st of March for the Area Manager scheme. Can I ask if anyone has a positive experience at working for Aldi through this scheme? I keep hearing about people working 70 hour weeks all the time, can anyone verify this as I think the job sounds really good but I don't know if I could cope with working 70 hours a week and having no other life.

How did this go?

It was an online application via Aldi's website. I think this can only be done for the graduate area manager scheme though!

Ah, I see.... It made no difference to me anyway, a pfo arrived in yesterday's post. Oh well.....

Good luck with your application!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 karlis2k3

How did this go?

Had the group interview - Started with an introduction of the company, then a 2 minute presentation each about anything except your skills (so dont talk about how wonderful your leadership skills are for 2 mins!), some psychometric tests which are very fast paced so difficult to complete in the time (20ques in 3/4 mins) and then a group activity. Standard enough, very interesting.

I asked about the hours of the job and was basically told how many hours would you be willing to work if you were given three businesses of your own to run. It comes down to your own personal organisational skills - if your organised and have drive then you will be working 40-50 hours a week, if you dont organise yourself ul be working a lot more.

Didn't get through though but sh*t happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I worked for Lidl for just short of 3 years. The money is exceptional, but think about these points first.
    1. You earn every penny they pay you, now people might say "you do that everywhere". But its not to the same extent as in Lidl
    2. You will have no social or home life
    3. They can send you anywhere in the country
    4. You might even be sent to one of the distribution centres, Newbridge, Charleville or Nutts Corner (Belfast)
    5. There will be huge pressure on you from day 1
    6. The computer system is antiquated and very low cost, it means it won't break down but it is very difficult to work with if you are used to anything as normal as work e-mail. Only very select persons get their own e-mail account
    7. The Germans who are in Ireland are mostly people who want to make a name for themselves, therefore are slave drivers
    8. If you survive like I did, you will be "Lidlised". This means that you won't care about the people reporting to you, you will fire people for any reason you can.
    9. You will work in excess of 80 hours per week. The working time act of course applies here, but you still have to get the work done. If you are running 5 stores there are cash spot checks, audits, reports for each one. These take more than 40 hours and its up to you to do them to keep your job!

Any questions please ask!

I know Aldi are similar but not quite as bad as a good friend of mine is working there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 workaholic

I worked for Lidl for just short of 3 years. The money is exceptional, but think about these points first.
    1. You earn every penny they pay you, now people might say "you do that everywhere". But its not to the same extent as in Lidl
    4. You might even be sent to one of the distribution centres, Newbridge, Charleville or Nutts Corner (Belfast)
    6. The computer system is antiquated and very low cost, it means it won't break down but it is very difficult to work with if you are used to anything as normal as work e-mail. Only very select persons get their own e-mail account
    7. The Germans who are in Ireland are mostly people who want to make a name for themselves, therefore are slave drivers
    8. If you survive like I did, you will be "Lidlised". This means that you won't care about the people reporting to you, you will fire people for any reason you can.
    9. You will work in excess of 80 hours per week. The working time act of course applies here, but you still have to get the work done. If you are running 5 stores there are cash spot checks, audits, reports for each one. These take more than 40 hours and its up to you to do them to keep your job!

I know Aldi are similar but not quite as bad as a good friend of mine is working there

Thanks very much for your Lidl story. It is very interesting and helpful. I have heard alot of bad press of Lidl's working practices from store assistants to store management to district management.

I have applied to Lidl for the District Management programme and will be going through interviews very shortly. There is very scarce detail of what the programme entails. Could you give me details of how "you" personally progressed from day one please (as you mentioned they will put "huge pressure" on you). Are the objectives set achievable with the set costs and budgets (eg payroll) or does all costs fall to the individual?

You described that you had no social / home life. Could you please tell me what the daily and weekly life of a District Manager is and why you have to work "in excess" of 80 hours which sounds very alarming. i do not mind working hard as I am working myself up the ladder, but if it means progressing my career at the detriment of my family and girlfriend then this position my not be for me.

Is it true that the culture is if you do not achieve, you will be disciplined almost instantly with the threat that "you can always quit"? i understand store assistants get this treatment - the question is, does that flow up the ladder?

Another concern is that you mentioned they could send you anywhere in the country. Does that mean if they offer it to you, you can have a choice OR when they say you have to go, you have to go otherwise theres no vacancies?

How much bargaining power do you have when negotiating salary? They say from £27k upto £48k "depending on experience". Do they have salary bands or you just negotiate in the office, since I do not have district management experience, but store management experience?

I am a person who is money motivated and seeking to gain multi-site experience to develop my career to the next level. I understand that you have to work really hard to get where you need to achieve. I am a family orientated person and i do like "abit" of social life. Would this job be for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Conchúr

Hi all,
    I did an interview with Aldi for the Graduate manager position recently. Got the pfo letter anyway but just to give an overview of the experience.

11 people in a board room with the Irish general manager. Guy from Scotland, quite nice. Began with a breif intro and then we gave a 30 second overview each of us. We then got a survival situation. It's a book with a story in it (ours=plane crash but theres hundreds) and you have 15 items, you have to decide by yourself the most usefull and then as a group (put them in order of preference). there looking for the person that's managing the rest of the group and not only making there views heard but listing to others too. After that there was questions, what ever there called, the ones that different shapes - what comes next crap. Theres also others like math sequences and stuff. After that you have a debate, we had Bertys legacy - one side of the room bad, one good. After that then we got to ask questions.

Other then the intro and the questions at the end your man said almost nothing and let us do it all. Quite hard but looking for people to make themselves stand out from the croud.

Good luck to ye anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

woked for lidi in the north as a store manager for 2 years. Trained alot of lidl managers for the 26 counties at the time, as they say the money great but when your working all the time you will never get a chance to spend it.

take my advice and stay will clear

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stiggy

Hi all,
    Anyone have any information on the Aldi store manager/assistant manager roles, i have read through Aldi's website but would be intrested in reading any real life experences with this role.? Specifically the interview process, is it a group interview etc.!? Starting pay for assistant store managers is 38k rising to 44k any idea how long the training is.? The payscale for store manager's is 50k - 66k which is very tempting money for any work hours:confused:

Thanks in advance for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

All I keep seeing in posts above is 'great money - very tempting.......'

Listen folks, good money means less than nothing if you have no life working in a sh1t job.
    All you'll be left with at the end is regrets for having wasted years of your life.
    I should know - I worked in retail management for years. Working 60 hours a week, telling schoolkids and deadbeats how to stack tins on a shelf. All respect to people who work in shops - but most of them don't want to be there.
    So you get to age 75, on your deathbed, and you think back.....
    Do you say - I wish I could have spent more time working for those sh1theads?
    Or will you say - I wish I was out enjoying life?

Working long hours for a souless company who never appreciates you, but wants more and more all the time, just for a car and some euros in the bank??

Don't even think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭JDLK

I know this is an old post but I'll be interviewing with Lidl for a Project Management position in their IT section. Has anybody got any experience with the interview process for that or working in their admin section?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

I received a phone call from a recruitment agency today wanting to know if I would like to go for a job in the Lidl distribution centre as a Warehouse Supervisor. She said that the compnay offers good money and are only interested in people who want to advance their career, which is what I want to do. I thought about it and consulted my wife about it, and decided to go for the interview to see how it goes. After reading this thread, it doesn't seem like a good idea now.

I am living in Limerick, and the money sounds very tempting, so the commute wouldn't be that much of a problem.

Does anyone here have any experience in, or stories about, any of the distribution centres??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Warehouse Supervisors might not work the same amount of hours as Store Managers.

So maybe inquire about the hours. If they are "48 hours" that managers are supposed to work, then maybe you should think very careful about this decision. Especially since you have a wife and more than likely have a life outside of work. ;)

Good career choice if that's what you want. Fast paced work and faced paced career progress. Money is excellent too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

I have just been called for an interview for the Charleville distribution centre. Does anyone have any experience in the distribution centres? Am I making a good decision here?? HELP!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I believe interviews work both ways , whilst they might be interviewing you , you need to do the same with them and ask them the same questions you would ask people on this board and also try to get a feel of the place whilst you there from looking at the mood of the other staff.

As the post above said , there is no point getting paid good money if you hate getting out of bed in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭mhairt

Been through both the Aldi and Lidl interview and the Aldi one is much more intensive. With Aldi the first stage is a group interview with a number of different exercises, including a debate, an exercise where you are given a handout you read through it and answer a few questions then you all argue through why you picked certain items and have to reach a group decision. With Lidl it was just a standard one on one interview. Got the job with Lidl and boy is it tough. They really do own your soul. In terms of hours it is mental. At the start you have to be in Charleville twice a week for training and meeetings (Wed and Fri) then back to your assigned store. I used to drive 3.5 hrs to get there by nine. Standard shift for traineee area manager would be six till five (six) or 11 to 11. The reality is a little different, The longest shift I did was from 6am to 11am(that was for a stock take). You will definitely work weekends but you do get 2 days off a week. On the plus good money at that time it was €52,000 and fully expensed company car. But when you break down the hours you do it would average about €13-€15 an hour. You will have to give up any idea of a social life and time with family. If you are prepared to do that then go for it. But I dont think it is a long term job for anyone.
    Hope that helps a little. Best of luck with what you do

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

yea i too found my way to their website - they offer 58K starting salary and an Audi A4 car with salary increasing to 81.5K after 3 years.

you say that you get 2 days off in the week - would these days be together or like a monday and a friday?

and one last question - where is Charleville

edit: read throught the whole thread - some very interesting posts, still haven't put me off applying for a job, :D
    just wondering with does PFO stand for that people keep saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭mhairt

Ace2007 wrote: »
    yea i too found my way to their website - they offer 58K starting salary and an Audi A4 car with salary increasing to 81.5K after 3 years.

you say that you get 2 days off in the week - would these days be together or like a monday and a friday?

edit: read throught the whole thread - some very interesting posts, still haven't put me off applying for a job, :D

The days off can be together but it really varies changes each week.
    Charleville is in Co. Cork. It is where Lidl's distribution is that covers Munster and Connaught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

mhairt wrote: »
    The days off can be together but it really varies changes each week.
    Charleville is in Co. Cork. It is where Lidl's distribution is that covers Munster and Connaught.

i cant believe anyone would want to work under those conditions,
    i see people saying working 60 or 70 hours a week is no problem.
    thats nearly two weeks normal working hours in just one week!!!

if you actually work out what the hourly rate
    is the money is not good at all specially considering if you work an extra
    20 or 30 hours a week in a normal job your going to get time and half ro double pay for the overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

i cant believe anyone would want to work under those conditions,
    i see people saying working 60 or 70 hours a week is no problem.
    thats nearly two weeks normal working hours in just one week!!!

if you actually work out what the hourly rate
    is the money is not good at all specially considering if you work an extra
    20 or 30 hours a week in a normal job your going to get time and half ro double pay for the overtime.

Most graduates are going to be studying so if you think about its not that much, for example an accountant/actuary will spend years studying to qualify and will then after maybe 6 years be on the same as what a first year graduate workin with aldi.

Hard work never killed anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Most graduates are going to be studying so if you think about its not that much, for example an accountant/actuary will spend years studying to qualify and will then after maybe 6 years be on the same as what a first year graduate workin with aldi.

Hard work never killed anyone.

Your not comparing like for like, they might initially be on more than someone studing actuary, not that much more BTW , but an actuary will then continue to receive incremental pay increases for the rest of their 30 yr plus careers.

They will also work near to were they live in the comfort of an office.
    Not to mention they only work 39 hours per week and get time off to study for exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

If you are working 70 hours per week for 81.5k per year then thats about 24 euro per hour. Equivalent 40 hour week at 24 euro per hour is about 46k per year.

So basically its not a "great" salary at 81.5k never mind 58k starting off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

qwytre wrote: »
    If you are working 70 hours per week for 81.5k per year then thats about 24 euro per hour. Equivalent 40 hour week at 24 euro per hour is about 46k per year.

So basically its not a "great" salary at 81.5k never mind 58k starting off.
    i think you're numbers are a little off.
    assuming you get time and a half after 40 hours you only need to earn 18.50 p/h to make 80k on a 70 hour week.
    if youre on 13eu an hour and work 70 hours you will pop out the other end with 58k

if your on minimum wage you will pull in over 38k working a 70 hour week.

Advertisement