Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many reservists/pdf play airsoft?

• 20-01-2010 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

just wondering as there is usually quite a few other rdf lads and some pdf out there that play airsoft every time i go. and if so has anyone else noticed that being in the df has helped your airsofting skills or visa versa?
    while in the us i noticed alot of airsofters/paintballers have some connection to the army or marines they even sponcer large events its like the two go hand in hand.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

You'll probably find that there are a few...but not many of em will admit to it I reckon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

/me sighs.

I remember one guy in my old unit (UK forces) who was an airsofter. I hadn't told anyone at this point, it was my dirty little secret. I knew the British Army's unofficial standpoint on it, and I wasn't about to get involved or martyr myself for the cause....

This lad was super pro airsoft, and was telling everyone how it made him a better soldier and the like... and how he thought we should train with it....

Needless to say the guy had the piss mercilessly ripped out of him, and was generally a laughing stock for it.

My advice?

If you're in, dont mention it, dont use your airsoft gear in, an dont ever use your gear to airsoft.... Keep the two entirely separate, and live a long happy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

While in Sweden, it seemed every played outside of Ireland was either ex or currently serving.

Over here....they seem to be all i.t. or video game heads.

I only played along serving pdf members once, about five of them, they seemed mad into the game, but get never settle into the hobby because they had to run off back to Chad.

And if anything, the rules of engagment engrained in their heads, made them very slow to get up and brap some *****.

You realise a lot of the Scandanavian countries have national service... Right?

As for slow... well, it keeps you alive not jumping up and getting shot in the face... airsofters have no fear of death. You shouldnt disrespect serving soldiers like that you know... The real world isnt about 'brapping ****'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

And if anything, the rules of engagment engrained in their heads, made them very slow to get up and brap some *****.

As Firekitten already pointed out, those lads are trained to deal with real firefights... As in, the ones where there's no respawn.

So "Brapping some ****" may not be top of the agenda for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Jesus...touchy people in here, I'm pretty sure the guy meant it as a joke:rolleyes:

Without apearing to backseat moderate, i request that one of the mods lock this before much longer.... I think its fairly evident so far why the military and airsoft do not mix...

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭.22 Lover

You cant cant just let go of years of training its with you for life no joke.

Poccington wrote: »
    As Firekitten already pointed out, those lads are trained to deal with real firefights... As in, the ones where there's no respawn.

And likewise, they're not going to be running around with itchy trigger fingers.

*Edit* - ofcourse I wasn't being dis-respectful.
    Despite what we may think at times, this game is clearly a far cry from what real soldiers do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

Folks...I didn't read that as DingDong being disrespectful at all.

He just correctly pointed out that the training they receive is ingrained, and it means they tend not to take the gung-ho approach us non-military folks would take - he just did it tongue in cheek.

Ya'll might want to relax a little - the OP asked a valid question, and asking for his thread to be locked just 'cos you read something into a comment that wasn't there is a bit cheeky, tbh.

• Advertisement

brap some *****.

Hi-caps!!:rolleyes:

I agree, I didn't think that dingdong was being disrespectful.

off to brap some *****:)

I'll use that as my Sig. if thats ok with you senordingdong?

Haha. truth is, you'll have to check with DOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I guess it becomes instinct if you're militarily trained. In a real battle, survival is key and getting kills is only something to do if the oppurtunity arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Firekitten wrote: »

As for slow... well, it keeps you alive not jumping up and getting shot in the face... airsofters have no fear of death. You shouldnt disrespect serving soldiers like that you know... The real world isnt about 'brapping ****'

Yes, but Airsoft, in general, is about brappage.

They're two completely separate things, and at times, jumping up and moving forward a lot more aggressively than it might be like for realsies works a lot better in Airsoft, due to the range and accuracy, and thew fact that your opponents are (usually) not well-trained anyway.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Yes, but Airsoft, in general, is about brappage.

They're two completely separate things, and at times, jumping up and moving forward a lot more aggressively than it might be like for realsies works a lot better in Airsoft, due to the range and accuracy, and thew fact that your opponents are (usually) not well-trained anyway.
    Isn't airsoft about completing objectives? You and Dingdog are self proclaimed milsimers arent you? Its not about the kills there either... im sorry, i dont want to call it 'brappage' because i'm not a 13yo counter strike player.

Perhaps we should be back on topic then Tony... because this is horrifically derailed as it stands.

Oh dear, here we go again...

No airsoft is not about objectives, milsim is.
    Airsoft, I would say, is more about 'brappage'.

Now, can we drop this please and not ruin another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

As has been my impression from those with military training I have either met, played airsoft with, and/or come into airsoft discussion with, there's a lot who find airsoft frustrating. Not because it's airsoft but because they're used to the real thing, the real weight, and their team-mates not acting (as they perceive it) like suicidal headless chickens.

As has also been suggested, training has been drilled into these folks for one simple reason. That they do not have to think about it in the middle of a pitched firefight where their reaction will be the difference between life and death for either themselves or their mates.

So to see a whole load of untrained, and mostly ill-disciplined civvies running around playing pretend for most is a fairly bemusing concept I should imagine.

On the matter of milsim, objectives, and "brappage" (may I point out I cringe every time I hear that word and think of stereotyped CS players ... sorry guys but I do); the beauty of airsoft is that it caters for a variety of different play styles. Somebody being slow to "brap" is neither here nor there and whilst in a speedball airsoft sunday skirmish is perhaps not the mae-west, for a milsim scenario where there are rules of engagement, scenario plots, and more than one other player type (i.e. not just your "enemy") in the gamezone, being slower to react (and register what you're aiming at) will be the difference between success and defeat for your objectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Alzir

This is true but people can choose not to go and pay a small fine instead. In Russia the fine is only equivalent to around 200 euros. Almost everybody who leaves school and goes to college or gets a decent job do not enlist. I was working in Moscow recently and all the engineers I was with said this is the case throughout. Also the majority of the training for the 1 to 2 years of service is without actually firing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Brap brap brap!

I know of a fair few pdf and rdf lads who play, if you are into the whole military scene theres no reason not to enjoy a bit of airsoft too.

I like the term brap, it sounds like the sound a brapper makes, and makes more sense than 'tagging' or 'killing' someone, as neither is entirely appropriate.

Epic teh braps etc., its just a bit of fun really :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Isn't airsoft about completing objectives? You and Dingdog are self proclaimed milsimers arent you? Its not about the kills there either... im sorry, i dont want to call it 'brappage' because i'm not a 13yo counter strike player.

Perhaps we should be back on topic then Tony... because this is horrifically derailed as it stands.

It's only as derailed as you're making it, I'm afraid.

Airsoft is about completing objectives, but the same tactics as work in real battle situations don't work in Airsoft, and vice versa.

Can I reasonably safely stick my head out from behind an obstacle when I know the enemy is about 200 feet away? In airsoft, yes. For real, no. Therefore a good chunk of real-world tactics and knowledge go out the window.

Similarly, I can run out of the 5M range of a non-projectile pyro grenade in an airsoft game and be perfectly fine, whereas a real frag might still present me with a rather inconvenient spine full of metal shards.

"Brappage" is just a fun term to use, like "hoo-ah", "get some", etc. If you have to wince every time you hear it, then that makes one of us with a problem.

• Advertisement

Folks, please don't let me comments derail the thread.
    Please.

Lets just try to get it back on topic.

Back to the OP, C-90 you could always ask over on IMO or even here on the Mil forums, but prepare yourself for the sound of pins hitting the floor.

iceage wrote: »
    Back to the OP, C-90 you could always ask over on IMO or even here on the Mil forums, but prepare yourself for the sound of pins hitting the floor.
    He could ask, but i suspect like ARRSE, he would only post this question if he never wants to use that forum again....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Poccington wrote: »

Exactly why serving personal are shocked when they get it handed to them by a 16 year old airsofter :D

I dont think they should keep it as a big dirty secret, its interesting to watch and play with someone, who does it for real and see how they do things, the real way.

Aslong as they dont bull**** or have a go at you for having some insignia, I dont see why they should feel the need to keep silent about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

there was 4 airsofters in my rdf recruit platoon. and between the patriots and neb airsoft teams we have just 3 current or lads who were in it. none of them seem to proud of it on the rdf side but it has helped improve airsofting skills, it improves teamwork and communication, fieldcraft, and rarely simple tactics like a section in attack do work with the amount of ammo making up for the loss of range and accuracy. the only pitfall is other people not knowing or wanting to use the tactics :(

tbh i wouldnt be ashamed to admit playing airsoft it does help, minimally but it does.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

im sorry, i dont want to call it 'brappage' because i'm not a 13yo counter strike player.
    Lemming wrote: »
    "brappage" (may I point out I cringe every time I hear that word and think of stereotyped CS players ... sorry guys but I do);

I googled "brappage counterstrike" and the first result is this thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Seifer wrote: »
    I googled "brappage counterstrike" and the first result is this thread ;)

Epic teh braps yields the same result, I feel important now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭MacAonghusa

I spent a good few years in the Reserves and think that airsoft can benefit Reserve training and vice versa.

One of the first things I noticed when playing paintball and then airsoft is how clueless some people are when it comes to tactics etc. and also how poor some people are at simply aiming straight.

Unfortunately there is limited real world training which can be applied to airsoft for the simple reason (1 of many) that the range and accuracy of airsoft guns suck completely.
    Airsoft is best played fast and aggressive (IMO), a tactic that would get you killed in a real conflict.

On the flip side I think playing airsoft can teach your average reservist that 1) you need to aim your gun (blanks are magic because you just need to aim in the general direction and your opponent is dead) and 2) stick your head up and it will be shot off. Airsoft teaches you to be a bit more cagey, something which you don't learn when firing blanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

Quite a few members of the DF participate in airsoft at some level. My guess would be most of these would be members of the RDF and perhaps a few PDF. I have been to a few site were people have turned out sporting the new Irish Guggi Flage – Mmmmmm, now I wonder where they got that??

Any one who attended the recent AIM Cup, must have surely noticed a fair few ‘military types’ knocking around the event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Did anybody see in this months AI the pic of the Irish team, and half them are wearing Irish cammo uniforms?

Advertisement