Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have you ever had depression?

• 16-01-2010 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭

well seeing as this is c&h and theres lots of teenagers like me on it i wondering if any of ye had/have depression... i had but it kinda went away after a lovely* vist to warrenstown :P also do you think the treatment of it is right???

*sarcasam

NINJA EDIT:
    To comemorate the 2010 jizzlers this thread has been awarded:

124kewz.jpg

Have you ever had/have depression 435 votes

Yes-no medication needed
    0% 1 vote
    Yes-medication needed
    49% 215 votes
    No
    32% 142 votes
    I don't know
    17% 77 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Personally I haven't but I've had a good few friends my ages who have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

A lot of people think they have depression, but aren't clinically diagnosed so can't really know. On the flip side there are also people who think they're just a bit down when in reality they're depressed and help is available for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Tbh, I would think I'm a fairly depressed person but I'm open about it. I've a negative approach to things in life and ask myself why bother. I feel I'm a complex person and I have my ups and downs. Never in between though
    I've been recommended to go to a councilor but I didn't quite feel the need for it so just forgot about it.
    In general I would think most people have times when they are depressed but it passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

i had a counsiler but it was crap tbh lately i have been down a bit over a personal situtation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Yes, I have. It's not fun.
    In my case it was only "mild" depression, so I can't even begin to imagine what serious depression is like. Have been prescribed Lexapro since November; it's only in the last few weeks that I've felt any noticeable improvement though.

It's a good topic to discuss; depression is one of things that has an unnecessary stigma attached to it. I understand people who have or who have had it may be reluctant to admit to it to people but personally I've no problem being honest and open about it. It's absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

• Advertisement

Yes, I have. It's not fun.
    In my case it was only "mild" depression, so I can't even begin to imagine what serious depression is like. Have been prescribed Lexapro since November; it's only in the last few weeks that I've felt any noticeable improvement though.

It's a good topic to discuss; depression is one of things that has an unnecessary stigma attached to it. I understand people who have or who have had it may be reluctant to admit to it to people but personally I've no problem being honest and open about it. It's absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

i would love help but them my foster home would tell my parents :( i cant wait for the law reform comission report to hopefully be implemented so i can go to a docter or just wait 6 monts........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I've always been up and down, mostly I find when I'm bored and idle for a long period of time I get down. Then there's some things in life which would bring me down unexpectedly. But tbh, one thing I've learned is that these things pass over and you get on good again.

One thing I found was when I started playing more sports and began regular jogging etc, I felt alot better. It makes me wonder just how much of it depends on lifestyle (for me personally).

On the flip-side, when I'm in good form I'm quite happy, between school, sports, and social life things I've a good bit to do, I've good friends, I'm not afraid to talk to good friends really.

So it really depends on how you define depression. Is it feeling down now and then for a period of time or is it down 24/7? Life is highs and lows, and the teens are difficult times anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I've been meaning to bring this up for a while,always thought it'd be a bit too sore for some people.

I've a strong history of suicide in my family, so yes,I get depressed a bit every now and then, I've only been seriously depressed about 3 times in my life.I'm talking suicide country,however thanks to some stuff that happened in my family a few years back that will never be a justifiable thought in my mind after seeing it's effects first hand.
    Oddly,the event probably bring on a downer for me and I've too much pride to see a doctor,It sucks when you're in it.But I know I'll never do any damage from it so I don't bother looking about it[it'd ruin my parents too]

also,"Have you ever have depression" isn't a valid title ;)*

*yeah,I'm a pain.I know

EDIT: How Ironic is this for post 666?

I've been meaning to bring this up for a while,always thought it'd be a bit too sore for some people.

I've a strong history of suicide in my family, so yes,I get depressed a bit every now and then, I've only been seriously depressed about 3 times in my life.I'm talking suicide country,however thanks to some stuff that happened in my family a few years back that will never be a justifiable thought in my mind after seeing it's effects first hand.
    Oddly,the event probably bring on a downer for me and I've too much pride to see a doctor,It sucks when you're in it.But I know I'll never do any damage from it so I don't bother looking about it[it'd ruin my parents too]

also,"Have you ever have depression" isn't a valid title ;)*

*yeah,I'm a pain.I know

opps sorry could u edit it for me lol also i have a history of sucide in my family but sometimes i do get '' them thoughts'' but i try to ignore them so far oh also ur on post 666 lol

Edit: very ironic lol also concidering it was aimed at me as well (hitlersson666) haha

opps sorry could u edit it for me lol also i have a history of sucide in my family but sometimes i do get '' them thoughts'' but i try to ignore them so far oh also ur on post 666 lol

Edit: very ironic lol also concidering it was aimed at me as well (hitlersson666) haha
    try watching south park,always helps me.

Also,I'm not a mod YET!! so no editing for me

• Advertisement

haha i would love to mod this fourm (im num 33 for in the play pen so then is my time to shine :P) yep i love south park makes me forget about the world hating me.... until 22 mins later

just checked results now.... it looks good but not what i expected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I've had it a few times but not too recently. I was in hospital a while back and I was on Lexapro for a spell. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia so thats caused me more harm than the depression itself but the psychosis led to depression I guess. Mental illness isn't anything to be ashamed of, there still is a tiny bit of stigma but it's gotten a lot better. Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

flyswatter wrote: »
    thats my 2 cents.
    one for each of you in your head?

only joking,it takes guts to come out with that even on the internet, It's kind of sad that ireland is so repressive about mental health it's one of the most common afflictions in irish society with suicide being more lethl than road traffic accidents[there may be an overlap,but no way to tell]

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

When I was in 1st to 3rd year, let's say I wasn't who I am now. I was quiet, an easy target and had a tough time in school. Looking back I know that those years were a lot more than being down.

I was lucky that I did TY, for the confidence boost it gave me. I try to keep a more positive outlook and like, and any down spells I have these days tend to pass on fairly quickly, and I'm very thankful for that :)

one for each of you in your head?

only joking,it takes guts to come out with that even on the internet, It's kind of sad that ireland is so repressive about mental health it's one of the most common afflictions in irish society with suicide being more lethl than road traffic accidents[there may be an overlap,but no way to tell]

Haha. It's sometimes hard to distinguish between actual thoughts and voices (it's usually my own voice) but when you start hearing other peoples voices inside your head criticizing you, you know what you're dealing with.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    When I was in 1st to 3rd year, let's say I wasn't who I am now. I was quiet, an easy target and had a tough time in school. Looking back I know that those years were a lot more than being down.

I'm the exact same..quiet and shy, couldn't defend myself...I might as well have had Easy Target written on my forehead. 1st and 2nd year were the worst for me, really terrible years.. after that I got into a new group of friends and I havn't looked back since.. thank god!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Good to hear ArPa :) I'm nothing like I was then, now though, TY and my new friends from TY really helped me come out of my shell. They're still my best friends. Even though they're all backstards :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I was the same as you Dark, TY really sorted me out big time! The year itself was pretty shít because we didn't really go anywhere cool and do anything mad, but it's the year I found myself making all my best friends, people I'm still as close as can be to this day, so in that regard the year was a complete success.

As for the original question, I don't think I've ever had felt full-on depressed, but of course like anyone you're going to have your up's and down's. Thankfully as the years go on the up's seem to be more and more frequent, so please god it'll stay that way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Uh huh! SAD to be more specific...but it's a bright and b-e-a utiful morning!

GOOD MORNING everybody :D Have a great day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Yep. I had a really crap time when I was in 5th and 6th year, but it got better when I went to college :) I can feel myself getting back to the same point as before though, so I need to sort that out...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

No, not really. Like everybody I feel a bit crap at times but I never go as low as to question my self-worth let alone anywhere near suicidal thoughts. I can't imagine what that could be like.

That said, I wouldn't describe myself as an outwardly confident person or in anyway outgoing. I don't talk to people and I keep to myself for the most part, never really wanted to get to know people. Got a bit of a bullying for it as you'd expect but I never dwelled on it or took it for more than somebody being a run-of-the-mill arsehole, especially because it was a bit impersonal. Very much doubt I'd be much different if it hadn't happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Good thread. Depression is barely acknowledged in Ireland among the older generations, let alone younger ones. I think when it comes to the C&H age bracket, older people generally tend to be dismissive of any problems we have, leaving a lot of genuine cases undiagnosed. There is definitely not enough done in this country to support people suffering from depression and other mental illnesses - it's a big enough problem trying to get the general public to acknowledge it ('Ah, your uncle Tommy, he's a bit, yano, gone in the head, he likes to be by himself'.. what, you mean he's a manic depressive who, on several occasions, has tried to kill himself? 'Likes to be by himself' is putting it a bit lightly), never mind any sort of higher authority. It's simple - we do not have the infrastructure needed. St. Pat's, an absolute dungeon of a place, has 'plans' for a 14-bed inpatient ward for young adults. In the tiny amount of people surveyed on this thread, what is a high number imo have admitted to having been diagnosed with and treated medically for depression or some other form of mental illness, myself inclusive. Taken into a broader context, how many other people our age have been diagnosed with something, or worse yet, haven't been? From that amount, take those who need to be hospitalised - I'm pretty damn sure that number amounts to more than 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Nah, I'm happy enough, but I have the world's biggest inferiority complex and it does hold me back a bit at times. It's starting to go away now though, thankfully.

St. Pat's, an absolute dungeon of a place

Believe me, I spent over 3 months in St. Patricks and it is no dungeon. Far from it. It's one of the best psychiatric hospitals in the country. It has a young adult programme and I don't think many other hospitals do. That programme helped me a great deal with self esteem/confidence issues. As for the young adult ward, yeah it's not a bad idea but there are other wards where young adults can mix with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

im not sure if i do or not , but one thing that i have to address is how 'trendy' depression is with teenagers i'm sure it has stopped a few genuine cases from being diagnosed because they dont want to appear as attention seekers , ya get me?

idk why im saying this now but i changed schools in september and all i get is grief over my style and my taste in music :( and due to my situtation when im not at home during the week i get depressed and that affects my behaviour also due to the ****e i get off people i have considered ''sucide'' sometimes but i then think of a goal to live for atm its going to manchester in feb to see mastodon!! i find setting goals can help another goal i have is to get a tattoo ect...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

Ive suffered from PTSD since the early 70s, which has led to severe bouts of depression.

Medication eases the burden.

idk why im saying this now but i changed schools in september and all i get is grief over my style and my taste in music :( and due to my situtation when im not at home during the week i get depressed and that affects my behaviour also due to the ****e i get off people i have considered ''sucide'' sometimes but i then think of a goal to live for atm its going to manchester in feb to see mastodon!! i find setting goals can help another goal i have is to get a tattoo ect...
    yeah,young'uns can be harsh. A little tip: Don't just take it all in and get depressed for no reason,talk about it and get some of the weight off your shoulders.

Or at the very least tell them to go F*ck themselves and kick them in the nuts if you have to. I don't promote violence,but actions speak more painfully than words

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

I lost a friend to suicide totally out of the blue during 2nd yr summer hols....at first it didnt hit me but the beginning of 3rd year was really hard...during a class incident where something stupid happen one of the lads were throwin stuff in my hair i got really thick of out nowhere and walk off and cried....then the teacher went to my year head about it then she refer me to the councellor in the school. So went to her for a few months she was alright but not brillant i was gettin fed-up of going to her so i decided i had to just move on and get on with life..then after that i didnt have to go to her.

This year i've started again falling down in the dumps, where to a point I even wrote a suicide letter but my family found it and well they asked what was wrong etc...But i didnt know what was wrong so i just put down to worrying about maths. I have my down in the dump moods where i just kinda block people out but normally i get out of them grand. I think this year it probably have a lot with the leaving cert and worrying about it, but overall I'm grand cos i love life and i know how precious it is....and i wouldnt want to hurt my family and friends

Advertisement