Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2010 Cooking club Week 1: Flapjacks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Should the mixture bind together completely in the pot or do you just pack it into the tin and it binds as its cooking?

It's a mess in the pot alright. Only binds after you've taken it out of the oven and it has cooled a bit.

Bazmo is winning the most delicious looking ones contest. Might make my own at lunchtime today.

*drools*

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

Khannie wrote: »
    It's a mess in the pot alright. Only binds after you've taken it out of the oven and it has cooled a bit.

Bazmo is winning the most delicious looking ones contest. Might make my own at lunchtime today.

*drools*

Right ill have to give these another go so, yep Bazmos pic has my mouth watering!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

Just found this thread, I'm a bit of a flapjack fan :)
    Malari wrote: »
    Word to the wise: Kitchen roll may soak up moisture but it also sticks like glue to the flapjacks! Try grease-proof paper maybe, to avoid having to pick bits of tissue off the flapjacks ;):D

I do the kitchen roll thing usually without any trouble - I suppose it just depends on the stickiness of the recipe.
    Oh, if anyone comes across a branded chocolate (i.e. cadbury's or whatever) on offer somewhere please shout. I hate that cooking chocolate muck, but a bit of cadburys over my flapjacks would make me happy out.
    tscul32 wrote: »
    any choc from lidl/aldi/tesco own is better than cooking with cadburys. Cooking choc is rank but the cadburys doesn't have a high enough cocoa content to work well when cooking. Any of the above are far cheaper and far better quality.

I'd second this, I don't think Cadbury's dairy milk melts very well. I use various tesco own brand chocolates (even the tesco value dark chocolate, tastes awful on its own but grand melted in brownie mixture etc), and Cadbury's bournville if I want it to be particularly good. The Alsi suggestions sounds like a good plan, will be trying that.
    Do you think you could substitute oil and honey for the butter and sugar? Or at least part oil for part butter? Mine never bind well and am trying to play with it a bit and get them right--better and tastier than breakfast bars.

Anybody got any suggestions for keeping stickiness/chewiness but making flapjacks less sweet? I tend to make mine thick (2-3cm) and I don't cook them very long so they're still soft and chewy, but it's hard to get right without a fair bit of butter and sugar.

Or maybe I just need to accept that flapjacks are always going to be greasy and sweet :D

I added some oat bran to the recipe. It was just there when I opened the cupboard and I couldn't think of a good reason not to. Hasn't affected the flavour at all while adding some goodness.

Added some raisins, sultanas and mixed peel. Didn't measure the amounts.

Turned out really well...

nyom!

101148.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

For a low calorie version sub oil / marg / butter with egg white (or eggs depending) and sub sugar / golden syrup / honey with splenda!!! It is a good sub and tastes nice, not as good a Bazmo's one I am certain but a good low fat low cal option :):)

Cranberries are not just for Christmas :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Would treacle do instead of golden syrup? I have the syrup and treacle, just wondering because someone was asking about it. Only have unsalted butter, but I still might go ahead and try this later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Don't think I'll be taking part in cooking club this week, over a foot of snow outside and I'm not walking 5miles to the shop in that! :p

Maybe it will clear though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yummy, I might try these tomorrow when I have a bit of time. Are they chewy? I only like chewy flapjacks, I can't stand hard brick-like ones!

Faith wrote: »
    Are they chewy?

Don't be mental. Chewy biscuits are for Americans. :D

edit:
    Would treacle do instead of golden syrup?

Should be fine.

Unsalted butter should also be fine, possibly better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

They sound lovely. However my head is telling me 'Remember your New Years diet'. If I made these I would have to eat them all myself...... To hell with it! I will try them tomorrow:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Im going to make these today - snow day - and luckily I have all the ingredients in the house. Never made flapjacks before and I don't have a tin. Could I use a square silicone type thing or a lasange dish?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Could I use a square silicone type thing or a lasange dish?
    Can't see why not. Probably best to use the lasagne dish though as it'd be rigid.

Turned out great!!! Lasange dish was too big, so used individual silicone bun cases and topped with white choc.

Very moist and super yummy. Will pick up some dried fruit next time I'm in shops to try some variations.

Thanks a mill

:)

I just had coffee and flapjacks for lunch. :D

blueirishangel: Nice work. They look delicious.

I just had coffee and flapjacks for lunch. :D
    I've had them with my morning tea for the last couple of mornings. Think I might make a batch on Sunday with chopped nuts in them to make them that bit more healthier and then have them for the rest of the week. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Throw in some of the oat bran too. No harm. It'll slow down digestion of them.

I had been experimenting with whey before to add some protein to them. Might give that a lash again (if anyone else is trying this, be warned that whey + fat do not mix well).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Here's a question, I've just been making brown bread, with the oven at 220c, I also have some flapjack mixture waiting to go in.

The bread is done, and the oven is off now, how long should I leave it before putting in the flapjacks, so the oven is cool enough? I don't want another batch of burnt flapjacks. (The birds loved the burnt ones btw :D)

Just open the door for a bit to let out most of the heat and then close it and leave it for 5 or 10 mins. If your oven has an indicator light to show when the oven is up to temperature it will make it easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭smallgarden

do you have a light which goes out when ovens hot enough?it depends on oven and how quickly it cools down.itl cool quick enough from 200 to 180 when you take bread out.if your flapjacks are burning turn the temp of oven down by 10 degrees than what recipe says,sometimes with fan oven you may need to turn it slightly lower again.also put them on middle shelf as top shelf will be hotter

There's no light, and to further complicate things, the oven operates at ~50c higher than the knob says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭smallgarden

then leave it for few minutes and put it to temp u want and hope for the best,flapjacks are something that if you open to check them after few mins theyl be alright.its not like a sponge thatl sink or anything so just keep an eye on them and hope they come out ok for you

Des wrote: »
    There's no light, and to further complicate things, the oven operates at higher than the knob says.
    Then why don't you set it at ~50c lower than the knob says? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

IMG_0443.jpg

Had most of the Ingredients at home so i made some earlier.

Pretty nice with a coffee, stuck some random peel in it aswell. Might have made them a bit too sweet doh for me.

Nice choice for a first week.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

There's no light, and to further complicate things, the oven operates at ~50c higher than the knob says.

***SIGH***

Yes here is, you know the orange dot? thats the temperature light

and the 50c is hardly a massive deal

***SIGH***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

6cpcSl.jpg

I added some butter into the choc to fudge it up a little bit.

Cheers Khannie, great week 1 choice.

irishbird wrote: »
    and the 50c is hardly a massive deal

Surely it is?? that's 180 versus 230 degrees!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Think I'll give these a shot. Might try melting a Mars or Snickers bar in a pot and using that to top the them once they're cooked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Surely it is?? that's 180 versus 230 degrees!

Haha I think she means its not a big deal that you just have to remove 50c from the temp displayed on the knob. If you want it at 180 just set it at 130 :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

DSC_1683.jpg

Nyom nyom. Toasted Sunflower seeds & Chocolate.

Is that dark choc Mr M?

Anyway, finally success for me! :D

DSC00048.jpg

• Advertisement

Is that dark choc Mr M?

Yep. 80% cocoa.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭molliesassy

God I am soooo hungry looking at these pictures! I'll have to try them myself this evening. (If I can get home in the snow :()

6cpcSl.jpg

I added some butter into the choc to fudge it up a little bit.

Cheers Khannie, great week 1 choice.

They look yummy. I was wondering how to stiffen the choc up a bit - I'll try add some butter next time. Sometimes melted choc can be very runny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

Dang! I'm just about to make these and I forgot the chocolate!!!!
    Oh well, here goes. ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

th_IMG_3665.jpg

I might try a little less sucra next time as I find them a bit sweet for me. I threw in some pumpkin seeds too for added chew factor. nom nom nom nom...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

thank you khannie! Delicious flapjacks and I made use of left over flaked almonds, dried mango, glace cherries, raisins and delicious chocolate :pac:

I only had use of a round baking sheet that's why they're sliced like pizza!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

This is a fantastic idea! I'll make these tomorrow as my end of the week treat for eating carrots all week (oh I pretend it's a load of trouble to eat carrots, really carrots are their own reward)

Would milled flaxseed be a good thing to add to flapjacks, as in would it mix well?

kerash wrote: »
    thank you khannie! Delicious flapjacks and I made use of left over flaked almonds, dried mango, glace cherries, raisins and delicious chocolate :pac:

I only had use of a round baking sheet that's why they're sliced like pizza!

They look cute in pizza shape!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I made these.

Khannie, your flapjacks with Cadbury's dairy milk chocolate on top = one big win. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Not much of a cook but that flapjack recipe looks so simple and the photos look scrumplicious!

Not much of a cook
    you don't have to be to make these.

Go on. Gather up the ingredients and give them a go.

I burnt my first effort, but that didn't stop me trying again.

kerash wrote: »

They look win.
    smashey wrote: »
    Khannie, your flapjacks with Cadbury's dairy milk chocolate on top = one big win. :)

Yeah, very partial to the oul' dairy milk myself. Might try that at the weekend. *slurp*

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

you don't have to be to make these.

Go on. Gather up the ingredients and give them a go.

I burnt my first effort, but that didn't stop me trying again.

Definitely will! Shall include photographs too.

Piste wrote: »
    Would milled flaxseed be a good thing to add to flapjacks, as in would it mix well?

Missed this earlier. I'd say it would be good, yeah. I had oat bran in mine and that worked out grand. Nuts / seeds are generally good for adding to flapjacks.

BTW folks. Adding a rating to this thread and the main Cooking Club thread will highlight it on the forum and may encourage other users to join in.

• Advertisement

BTW folks. Adding a rating to this thread and the main Cooking Club thread will highlight it on the forum and may encourage other users to join in.
    Banned. :D

Please contact hello@boards.ie if you wish to advertise. :pac:

smashey wrote: »
    Banned. :D

Please contact hello@boards.ie if you wish to advertise. :pac:

Bloody admins stepping on Mods toes. :rolleyes:

Shurrup Des.:D

101512.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Recently tried out a recipe from an Annabel Karmel cookbook for chocolate puddings served with a chocolate sauce on top- and the chocolate sauce ingredients are- chocolate ( doh!), butter, golden syrup, brown sugar and cream- and it makes the most delicious fudgy chocolate sauce- gorgeous over a pudding or ice-cream. Can post the recipe for anyone who needs to use up left over golden syrup, brown sugar, butter and chocolate ( ;) )...It's really simple too- just chuck them in a saucepan and heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I'm off to get ingredients for these.

• Advertisement
Advertisement