Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking club Week 1: Flapjacks

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Im going to make these today - snow day - and luckily I have all the ingredients in the house. Never made flapjacks before and I don't have a tin. Could I use a square silicone type thing or a lasange dish?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Could I use a square silicone type thing or a lasange dish?
    Can't see why not. Probably best to use the lasagne dish though as it'd be rigid.

Turned out great!!! Lasange dish was too big, so used individual silicone bun cases and topped with white choc.

Very moist and super yummy. Will pick up some dried fruit next time I'm in shops to try some variations.

Thanks a mill

:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I just had coffee and flapjacks for lunch. :D

blueirishangel: Nice work. They look delicious.

Khannie wrote: »
    I just had coffee and flapjacks for lunch. :D
    I've had them with my morning tea for the last couple of mornings. Think I might make a batch on Sunday with chopped nuts in them to make them that bit more healthier and then have them for the rest of the week. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Throw in some of the oat bran too. No harm. It'll slow down digestion of them.

I had been experimenting with whey before to add some protein to them. Might give that a lash again (if anyone else is trying this, be warned that whey + fat do not mix well).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Here's a question, I've just been making brown bread, with the oven at 220c, I also have some flapjack mixture waiting to go in.

The bread is done, and the oven is off now, how long should I leave it before putting in the flapjacks, so the oven is cool enough? I don't want another batch of burnt flapjacks. (The birds loved the burnt ones btw :D)

Just open the door for a bit to let out most of the heat and then close it and leave it for 5 or 10 mins. If your oven has an indicator light to show when the oven is up to temperature it will make it easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭smallgarden

do you have a light which goes out when ovens hot enough?it depends on oven and how quickly it cools down.itl cool quick enough from 200 to 180 when you take bread out.if your flapjacks are burning turn the temp of oven down by 10 degrees than what recipe says,sometimes with fan oven you may need to turn it slightly lower again.also put them on middle shelf as top shelf will be hotter

There's no light, and to further complicate things, the oven operates at ~50c higher than the knob says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭smallgarden

then leave it for few minutes and put it to temp u want and hope for the best,flapjacks are something that if you open to check them after few mins theyl be alright.its not like a sponge thatl sink or anything so just keep an eye on them and hope they come out ok for you

Des wrote: »
    There's no light, and to further complicate things, the oven operates at higher than the knob says.
    Then why don't you set it at ~50c lower than the knob says? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

IMG_0443.jpg

Had most of the Ingredients at home so i made some earlier.

Pretty nice with a coffee, stuck some random peel in it aswell. Might have made them a bit too sweet doh for me.

Nice choice for a first week.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

There's no light, and to further complicate things, the oven operates at ~50c higher than the knob says.

***SIGH***

Yes here is, you know the orange dot? thats the temperature light

and the 50c is hardly a massive deal

***SIGH***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

6cpcSl.jpg

I added some butter into the choc to fudge it up a little bit.

Cheers Khannie, great week 1 choice.

irishbird wrote: »
    and the 50c is hardly a massive deal

Surely it is?? that's 180 versus 230 degrees!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Think I'll give these a shot. Might try melting a Mars or Snickers bar in a pot and using that to top the them once they're cooked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Khannie wrote: »
    Surely it is?? that's 180 versus 230 degrees!

Haha I think she means its not a big deal that you just have to remove 50c from the temp displayed on the knob. If you want it at 180 just set it at 130 :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

DSC_1683.jpg

Nyom nyom. Toasted Sunflower seeds & Chocolate.

Is that dark choc Mr M?

Anyway, finally success for me! :D

DSC00048.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Is that dark choc Mr M?

Yep. 80% cocoa.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭molliesassy

God I am soooo hungry looking at these pictures! I'll have to try them myself this evening. (If I can get home in the snow :()

6cpcSl.jpg

I added some butter into the choc to fudge it up a little bit.

Cheers Khannie, great week 1 choice.

They look yummy. I was wondering how to stiffen the choc up a bit - I'll try add some butter next time. Sometimes melted choc can be very runny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

Dang! I'm just about to make these and I forgot the chocolate!!!!
    Oh well, here goes. ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

th_IMG_3665.jpg

I might try a little less sucra next time as I find them a bit sweet for me. I threw in some pumpkin seeds too for added chew factor. nom nom nom nom...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

thank you khannie! Delicious flapjacks and I made use of left over flaked almonds, dried mango, glace cherries, raisins and delicious chocolate :pac:

I only had use of a round baking sheet that's why they're sliced like pizza!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

This is a fantastic idea! I'll make these tomorrow as my end of the week treat for eating carrots all week (oh I pretend it's a load of trouble to eat carrots, really carrots are their own reward)

Would milled flaxseed be a good thing to add to flapjacks, as in would it mix well?

kerash wrote: »
    thank you khannie! Delicious flapjacks and I made use of left over flaked almonds, dried mango, glace cherries, raisins and delicious chocolate :pac:

I only had use of a round baking sheet that's why they're sliced like pizza!

They look cute in pizza shape!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I made these.

Khannie, your flapjacks with Cadbury's dairy milk chocolate on top = one big win. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Not much of a cook but that flapjack recipe looks so simple and the photos look scrumplicious!

Advertisement