Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2010 Cooking club Week 1: Flapjacks

Options
  • 04-01-2010 1:12pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so I thought long and hard about it and decided that something simple but delicious is probably best for starting off so I'm going with flapjacks. They're easy to add to (fruit or a chocolate coating or whatever), cheap to make and not entirely unhealthy. I know it's not very exciting but there's a good number of people signed up so I thought it's probably best to cater to the beginners at the beginning. :)

Ingredients:
    75g of butter
    50 - 75g brown sugar (I prefer the darker variety, but the original recipe calls for light)
    1 tablespoon of golden syrup if you have it
    175g of porridge oats

Instructions:
    Melt the butter in a saucepan
    Add the brown sugar and syrup and mix until they melt in
    Dump in the oats and stir it up (add dried fruit at this point if you want to)
    Remove from the saucepan and put the mix in a greased tin (the flapjacks should be about 1cm thick)
    Stick it in a preheated oven at 180c for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown
    Cut in the tin then allow to cool before taking them out

Tips:
    Dried fruit is great in them. I always add some. Don't add too much or they wont bind.
    You can use honey instead of sugar if you prefer. It is slightly healthier but more expensive.
    You can substitute some splenda for some sugar if you want. Not too much though as the sugar / syrup helps with binding. Add it in with the oats if you're adding some.
    Don't get crappy oats. They make up the bulk of the recipe and good ones are cheap.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

Do you think you could substitute oil and honey for the butter and sugar? Or at least part oil for part butter? Mine never bind well and am trying to play with it a bit and get them right--better and tastier than breakfast bars.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The butter is important for binding. I've tried oils a few times with poor results. The reason is that butter is solid at room temperature where vegetable oils are generally liquid. You could probably substitute some of the butter for some sunflower oil (olive oil tastes rank in these) but I'd still stick with majority butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Oh I might try give this a go. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I've no porridge oats in the house, so will get some tomorrow and make these in the afternoon.

How much are oats? I think I'll get the Flahavan's ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I loooove these! Gonna make 'em later :) Nice one, Khannie!

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    How much are oats? I think I'll get the Flahavan's ones.

Odlums organic are the nicest IMO. They're around 3 euro for 2KG. You can get smaller packets of the flahavans alright.

I think 2kg is too big a bag in case I don't like them or something.

Although, there are a lot of horses in Finglas I could feed I suppose. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

How long would these boyos keep fresh?

How long would these boyos keep fresh?

I'd say 5 days in a tupperware container. I'm guessing though. It's been a few months since I've made any. Anyone else know for sure? I'd throw a piece of kitchen roll into the tupperware to help soak up any moisture too.

Des: You could use the oats for porridge or oat pancakes too. But yeah, smaller bags are available. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Marvellous. This week, I are mostly eating flapjacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Khannie wrote: »
    I'd say 5 days in a tupperware container. I'm guessing though. It's been a few months since I've made any. Anyone else know for sure? I'd throw a piece of kitchen roll into the tupperware to help soak up any moisture too.

Des: You could use the oats for porridge or oat pancakes too. But yeah, smaller bags are available. :)

Word to the wise: Kitchen roll may soak up moisture but it also sticks like glue to the flapjacks! Try grease-proof paper maybe, to avoid having to pick bits of tissue off the flapjacks ;):D

Haven't made these in a while, so will try them out this week. Could do with an antidote to all the chocolate in the house!

Oh, if anyone comes across a branded chocolate (i.e. cadbury's or whatever) on offer somewhere please shout. I hate that cooking chocolate muck, but a bit of cadburys over my flapjacks would make me happy out.

Khannie wrote: »
    I hate that cooking chocolate muck
    Hear hear, we made some Millionaire Slices at the weekend and used cadbury's on top.

I feckin hate that cooking chocolate.

Would choc-chips work in these flapjacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Can I ask is there something else I can use instead of Golden Syrup? Can I add honey? Don't have golden syrup and buying a tin would probably be a complete waste of money at the moment! THanks!! Looking forward to trying these out during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Im sure honey would be okay
    I have porridge oats with dried fruit in it so gonna give it a bash

I just made these with half butter, half oil and honey instead of sugar. I also added a tablespoon of nutella. They are yums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

nutella is a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I am gonna use soya butter (may try coconut oil too) and agave syrup and see how I get on!!

On the cooking chocolate - Aldi do a chocolate, its looks like Cadburys but is still fab and only 99c for a bar (500g per bar I think), available in dark and milk!!!

Use this choc and Aldi's mars bar to make mars bar squares and turn out way nicer than normal choc and mars mars bars!!!

I just made these with half butter, half oil and honey instead of sugar. I also added a tablespoon of nutella. They are yums.

Khannie, your first victim! :D

If you're still alive tomorrow make sure to post pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

I have porridge with apple, raisin and cinnamon, would that taste wierd if i used it and put choc chips in?(as I have it for awhile and noones eating it!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

will give these a lash over the weekend, while i try to work out what im going to do for my turn in two weeks:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

im gonna try makke them later on today.. :D....

Khannie what kinda fruit do you add ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Pembily wrote: »
    On the cooking chocolate - Aldi do a chocolate, its looks like Cadburys but is still fab and only 99c for a bar (500g per bar I think), available in dark and milk!!!

This is a really good chocolate! I use it a lot for cooking, unless it has been discovered in the cupboard and savaged!

I think finely chopped dried apricots would be good in these. I've tried them with raisins before as well and it works well.

Went to Dunnes this morning, they had 1.5kg of Odlums Porridge Oats for €1.59, so I got them, they also had 2kg of Flahavan's Organic for €2.19, I think that works out cheaper, but I didn't want so many oats.

As soon as I find my camera, I'll start on the making of them.

Khannie what kinda fruit do you add ?

I usually get a bag of "mixed fruit" in the cooking section and chuck that in. Nyom.

boodlesdoodles: Don't worry about the golden syrup. Not a requirement at all.

Gonna make mine tomorrow. *slurp* Gonna try that aldi chocolate I think.

In the oven now, just in time to have with a nice cup of tea after lunch.

They burnt :eek:

After only 18mins in the oven there is a black layer on the top. :o:(

they are cooling at the moment, and I'll taste them later.

Damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Malari wrote: »
    This is a really good chocolate! I use it a lot for cooking, unless it has been discovered in the cupboard and savaged!

Yup it does tend to get savaged in our house too!! All Aldis baking products are cheaper and just as good :):)

Khannie - enjoy baking with the Aldi choc if you dont eat it all first!!!

We are a house of only 2 so only made 6 small ones. Still, this morning they were reduced to the volume in the pic. They're delicious. I reduced temp somewhat as have a fan and removed after 20 mins. No problems.

• Advertisement

Mine look the same under the layer of charred blackness.

Advertisement