Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2010 Cooking club Week 1: Flapjacks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Awesome! I added chocolate chips to mine! I'll stick up a pic later on, if my brother doesn't demolish them first! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

any choc from lidl/aldi/tesco own is better than cooking with cadburys. Cooking choc is rank but the cadburys doesn't have a high enough cocoa content to work well when cooking. Any of the above are far cheaper and far better quality.

Christmas twist (yes I know it's a bit late) on flapjacks is to add dried cranberries - delish with white or milk choc chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

oh me thinks i will have to try these!!!im slightly addicted to the oat pancakes at the moment, have them with greek yoghurt and strawberries, yum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I put a sprinkle of cinnamon on mine SANY0004.JPG

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

They look very nice. I forgot that I used to add some pumpkin seeds to mine. They're win too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

Made flapjacks in school and they were terrible haven't had one since!!!

Started back to weight watchers this week so going to point up these ingredients and make them work for me....anybody know roughly haw many portions this makes???

Must look back to check when my week is will have to have something good ready to go :cool:

kikililly: If you want to reduce the total calorie count it's worth experimenting with the following:

Lower butter content
    Lower sugar content (replace with splenda or equivalent). While you'd just be replacing each gram of sugar with a gram of some other carbs from the oats (on a per 100g basis) it should keep you going longer.
    Mixed peel (adds some zing but very low calorie count).

Don't reduce the butter and sugar too much though or they wont bind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What are oat pancakes?

I've an abundance of Oats at the moment!

Going back up to Dunnes tomorrow to get some Brown Sugar, I used the last of mine this morning on the failed attempt.

What ingredients do I need for these Oat Pancakes? I love normal pancakes, are these similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MissFitz

Just noticed this thread, cooking club is a great idea :D

Think I will try these, I have oats already and honey that I need to use up. Don't have golden syrup, will try without that for now.

Des, there was a thread in Fitness about oat pancakes (haven't tried them myself though) http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055002535

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

I made a double batch because we are a hungry bunch:eek:. Think i might have cut them a bit early because they crumbled a bit. I used the crumbs up by mixing them in the rest of the melted chocolate and put the mix in some cases.

101106.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Made some earlier....yum yum.

dsc0250s.jpg

The tray I used was only half full using the quantities on the first page. Think I'll double up next time. Melted half a 100g bar of Dairymilk and covered them with it.

I'll definitely make them again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Wow...that picture ^ there makes me want to make these immediately *drools*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭smallgarden

flapjacks are something that can be experimented with but there bit hit and miss,honey can be used instead of golden syrup no bother,marg can be used instead of butter,can add in other ingredients like dried fruit to taste.

So i tried the flapjacks last night, didn't have my camera with me to take a pic. I added honey instead of syrup. The mixture wasn't bindingin the pot so i added some more butter and also mixed in some nutella, they actually tasted lovely but didn't look too great, i might have cut them too soon because they were kind of crumbling but when they cooled down completely they were rock hard!!! Should the mixture bind together completely in the pot or do you just pack it into the tin and it binds as its cooking? Also made them too thick but all in all they weren't too bad, there was a nice hint of nutella in them

Des: you should try the oat pancakes, they are delicious, i put some cinnamon in mine too, theyre so quick and tasty!I have xylitol sweetener with them instead of sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Made mine last night but only added about 120g of oats, because I thought the mix was getting too dry, which would cause them to be too dry or burn easily in the oven.

They were great! Crunchier than my normal recipe but tasty.

Good choice of recipe for the first week Khannie! A few cheap ingredients, and only 5 minutes in the making. :)

Malari wrote: »
    and only 5 minutes in the making. :)
    Ah now c'mon, they take slightly longer than that to make! ;)

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Ah now c'mon, they take slightly longer than that to make! ;)

Plus whatever in the oven? Are you including washing up??

How long did it take you to measure out butter, sugar & oats, then melt & mix?

Are are we just pretending we slaved all night at them? :pac:;)

Plus whatever in the oven? Are you including washing up??

How long did it take you to measure out butter, sugar & oats, then melt & mix?

Are are we just pretending we slaved all night at them? :pac:;)
    I made a Carrot & Parsnip soup at the same time so that's probably why I felt like I was in the kitchen all night.
    But that aside, from start to finish (including baking & clean up) it would take at least an hour to make.

It's like those tv chefs that have recipes that "only take ten minutes to make!!"
    But when you see them making it, they have all the prep work done! It's a real bug bear of mine.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I made a Carrot & Parsnip soup at the same time so that's probably why I felt like I was in the kitchen all night.
    But that aside, from start to finish (including baking & clean up) it would take at least an hour to make.

It's like those tv chefs that have recipes that "only take ten minutes to make!!"
    But when you see them making it, they have all the prep work done! It's a real bug bear of mine.

See what you mean. I was making parsnip chips and penne funghi alfredo at the same time too (that's creamy mushroom pasta made to sound fancy ;)) so I wasn't on wash-up detail!

But then I'm a whirlwind in the kitchen. If it's not done fast it's not worth doing :D

Des wrote: »
    What ingredients do I need for these Oat Pancakes? I love normal pancakes, are these similar?

Hehe. It's up to yourself. They make American style pancakes (smaller and thicker than crepes). At a minimum you'd need oats, egg and milk or water and a blender. You need to leave the oats soaking overnight. If you're still interested I'll throw up the recipe / directions or dig them out from somewhere else they've been posted.

• Advertisement

Should the mixture bind together completely in the pot or do you just pack it into the tin and it binds as its cooking?

It's a mess in the pot alright. Only binds after you've taken it out of the oven and it has cooled a bit.

Bazmo is winning the most delicious looking ones contest. Might make my own at lunchtime today.

*drools*

Khannie wrote: »
    It's a mess in the pot alright. Only binds after you've taken it out of the oven and it has cooled a bit.

Bazmo is winning the most delicious looking ones contest. Might make my own at lunchtime today.

*drools*

Right ill have to give these another go so, yep Bazmos pic has my mouth watering!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

Just found this thread, I'm a bit of a flapjack fan :)
    Word to the wise: Kitchen roll may soak up moisture but it also sticks like glue to the flapjacks! Try grease-proof paper maybe, to avoid having to pick bits of tissue off the flapjacks ;):D

I do the kitchen roll thing usually without any trouble - I suppose it just depends on the stickiness of the recipe.
    Khannie wrote: »
    Oh, if anyone comes across a branded chocolate (i.e. cadbury's or whatever) on offer somewhere please shout. I hate that cooking chocolate muck, but a bit of cadburys over my flapjacks would make me happy out.
    tscul32 wrote: »
    any choc from lidl/aldi/tesco own is better than cooking with cadburys. Cooking choc is rank but the cadburys doesn't have a high enough cocoa content to work well when cooking. Any of the above are far cheaper and far better quality.

I'd second this, I don't think Cadbury's dairy milk melts very well. I use various tesco own brand chocolates (even the tesco value dark chocolate, tastes awful on its own but grand melted in brownie mixture etc), and Cadbury's bournville if I want it to be particularly good. The Alsi suggestions sounds like a good plan, will be trying that.
    Do you think you could substitute oil and honey for the butter and sugar? Or at least part oil for part butter? Mine never bind well and am trying to play with it a bit and get them right--better and tastier than breakfast bars.

Anybody got any suggestions for keeping stickiness/chewiness but making flapjacks less sweet? I tend to make mine thick (2-3cm) and I don't cook them very long so they're still soft and chewy, but it's hard to get right without a fair bit of butter and sugar.

Or maybe I just need to accept that flapjacks are always going to be greasy and sweet :D

I added some oat bran to the recipe. It was just there when I opened the cupboard and I couldn't think of a good reason not to. Hasn't affected the flavour at all while adding some goodness.

Added some raisins, sultanas and mixed peel. Didn't measure the amounts.

Turned out really well...

nyom!

101148.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

For a low calorie version sub oil / marg / butter with egg white (or eggs depending) and sub sugar / golden syrup / honey with splenda!!! It is a good sub and tastes nice, not as good a Bazmo's one I am certain but a good low fat low cal option :):)

Cranberries are not just for Christmas :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Would treacle do instead of golden syrup? I have the syrup and treacle, just wondering because someone was asking about it. Only have unsalted butter, but I still might go ahead and try this later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Don't think I'll be taking part in cooking club this week, over a foot of snow outside and I'm not walking 5miles to the shop in that! :p

Maybe it will clear though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yummy, I might try these tomorrow when I have a bit of time. Are they chewy? I only like chewy flapjacks, I can't stand hard brick-like ones!

Faith wrote: »
    Are they chewy?

Don't be mental. Chewy biscuits are for Americans. :D

edit:
    Would treacle do instead of golden syrup?

Should be fine.

Unsalted butter should also be fine, possibly better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

They sound lovely. However my head is telling me 'Remember your New Years diet'. If I made these I would have to eat them all myself...... To hell with it! I will try them tomorrow:D

Advertisement