Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Ghost signs'

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

MediaTank wrote: »
    Kapp & Peterson were always at the Grafton St address, so the sign is an old advertisement for them.
    I stand to be corrected on this but my mother says she remembers the shop in O'Connell Street. I also found a reference to it here.
    Does anyone know for sure?

EDIT: I think I've found confirmation here.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

In Temple bar, Dont know how old it is but I thought it'd fit well enough.
    Photo0380.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Aint going to read 100 odd posts to see if this is mentioned, but the bottom 3 feet of DIT Aungier st is really old brick work and it had Jacobs Biscuits or something to that effect on it!

And that factory is gone a very lont time!

Rory's is still there isn't it?

Rory's is definitely still there. Took the pic as the sign looked quite old and has some craft. You don't see signwriting much like this anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Another quite large faded one at the junction of Fairview Strand and Philipsburgh Avenue on the southside, facing west. Again was driving past and could only make out grocer and merchant on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Guys, 'ghost signs' are old signage for a business which has long since been consigned to history, 'Rorys' is still trading.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Yeah rorys is still there, A good spot for angling gear and the lads in there are dead sound. Last time i was there though, I ended up having to get violent with some filth who hang around on the palm tree seat thingys outside scrounging people for money.

Here's one i took the other day, its High street up near Christ Church., The pic is terrible but it was lashing and i was in a moving car at the time.,:)

4197784290_5bc9004f08_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

There was something about that old pram building that always creeped me out a bit. Maybe it was the whole baby thing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Paddy Whelan's old prams/bicycles shop on Cork Street is pretty cool looking, I just noticed it last week coming back from Lidl.

twinbillycorkstqt4.jpg

Cool!

Nice to see it's still there.

I was talking to my Dad in law about the place last week.
    He had lots of good stories about that shop.

It was his Dad's place!

We have a few pics of that place when it was still running including one at it's launch in 1947ish

Do post,.:)

it would be cool to see some comparison pics of these locations from back in their prime,.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Masada wrote: »
    Do post,.:)

it would be cool to see some comparison pics of these locations from back in their prime,.

As soon as I get a scanner, learn how to post pics & get the okay from the in-laws.

Could take a while, but I'll work on it.:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Aint going to read 100 odd posts to see if this is mentioned, but the bottom 3 feet of DIT Aungier st is really old brick work and it had Jacobs Biscuits or something to that effect on it!
    And that factory is gone a very lont time!
    Here's one I made earlier...:p
    Hermy wrote: »

Original site of Jacobs Biscuits in Bishop Street - now part of DIT.
    Picture_109_Medium.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

The minute I saw this thread a few weeks ago, this was the first sign I thought of and I remembered to get it today. It's on Dame st, just at the lights across to the Golden Goolie. There's another sweeps sign somewhere in Dublin and it's an older different design but I can't remember where it is.
    Photo0412.jpg

Also, does anyone have any pictures of Lucky Coade on Dame St.? It's now a cafe called the millstone but the Lucky Coade was a great spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

The minute I saw this thread a few weeks ago, this was the first sign I thought of and I remembered to get it today. It's on Dame st, just at the lights across to the Golden Goolie. There's another sweeps sign somewhere in Dublin and it's an older different design but I can't remember where it is.
    Photo0412.jpg

Also, does anyone have any pictures of Lucky Coade on Dame St.? It's now a cafe called the millstone but the Lucky Coade was a great spot.

that shop has just stopped trading

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Here's the one in Fairview Strand, near Phillipsburgh Avenue.
    99664.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Apols for the quality, crappy phone camera and crude Photoshop sharpening

Talbot St (Gift Shop obscurred on the right not the Chemist which is still in play)
    gift-shop-ghost-sign-talbot-st.jpg

Abbey St
    advertising-agency-ghost-sign-abbey.jpg

Abbey St, Cafe Ritz
    cafe-ritz-ghost-sign-abbey-st.jpg

Smallman, Bachelors Way
    smallman-ghost-sign-bachelors-way.jpg

Smallman, South Lotts (around the corner)
    smallman-ghost-sign-south-lotts.jpg

Aston Quay, ?????? Merchants
    something-merchants-ghost-sign-asto.jpg

Temple Bar beside the lane to Ha'penny Bridge
    the-old-mill-ghost-sign-temple-bar.jpg

Irish Permanent, bottom of Grafton St (the irony!!)
    irish-permanent-ghost-sign-grafton-.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

"In the early 1920s, the bar was bought by the Humphrys family. To this day, you can still see the original tiled floor sign at the entrance reminding customers of its old name."

http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2009/12/26/from-the-rms-mauretania-to-crane-lane/

tricky D wrote: »

I was just taking a pic of that just this evening., snap..:D

4224138118_6d8ce12793_b.jpg

Its not the most interesting though, but i like this one. Its the brown Thomas Building, which used to be known as "Switzers & Co", Taken from Wicklow Street between Weir Jewlers and Brown Thomas.

4223418871_5486cd0bff_b.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Is there a ghost person in the pic above Masada?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Dunno if it's been suggested but Aungier St is full of them.

• Advertisement

yes, its a 15sec exposure so anyone that passes gets recorded, if they hang around for a couple of secs they look all ghostlike, OoOooh!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

The Hibernian Bank, Lwr. O'Connell Street.

P. Macken, Grocer. North King Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Marlborough Street (Dublin United Tramway Company?)

MarlboroughStreetDUTCo.jpg

Moland Street

MolandStreet1810.jpg

Mountjoy Street

MountjoyStreetTeaCoffeeWine.jpg

North Circular Road

NCRSuzuki.jpg

Parliament Street

ParliamentStreetRoyalExchangeHot-1.jpg

Parliament Street

ParliamentStreetVestments.jpg

Richmond Street South

RichmondStreetSouthHardware.jpg

Sackville Avenue

SackvilleAvenueFuelDepot.jpg

Nice collection.,:)

That oen of Ballybough/sackville ave is one ive had in mind since first seeing this thread, ive been reading that sign since i was a nipper. I vaguely remember a Coal sign there aswell a few years back.,

PS, i think the suzuki centre is still there, doesn't seem to be open as regularly as it used to but every now and then they are., :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sheriff Street Lower (very faded but looks like DJ Twohig Ltd. - warehousemen, shipbrokers, stevedores, carriers etc.)

SheriffStreetLowerDoorway.jpg

Stephen Street Upper

StephenStreetUpperValeting.jpg

Thomas Court

ThomasCourtBakery.jpg

Yarnhall Street (Not sure if this premises is still operating - apologies if it is).

YarnhallStreetPrinters-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Anyone got a picture of the Boeing airline that use to be on a building back of O Connel street in the eighties

Dates back to when you could check in to you flight in town and get a bus direct to the plane

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

St. Peter's Bakery, Parnell Street. (photo taken March 2007)
    100359.JPG

Finally worked out how to post pics, P. Macken Grocer, North King Street.

[IMG][/img]DSCF3493-1.jpg

DSCF3492-1.jpg

• Advertisement

A couple more, there's no stopping me now:).
    The Hibernian Bank, now Bank of Ireland, Lwr. O'Connell Street.

DSCF3490-1.jpg

DSCF3491-1.jpg

Advertisement